Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Yardage books

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 Collo1992

Collo1992

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67897
  • Handicap:9.7
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:34 PM

just wondering how to make a yardage book and what to put in it and what ever else as my golf club doesnt have one so i want to make one

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 is76550

is76550

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67313
  • Ebay ID:isaac76550
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 02 November 2008 - 08:39 PM

i just write down my yardages, what you would take on par threes if your consistent and yardages to bunkers or ob. im sure others are more complicated but i just try to keep it simple
Tour issue Supertri 9.5* w/PX Black
Black R11 Ti 15* w/ PX Black
Rescue TP 19* w/ PX Black
AP2 712 4-GW w/ Project X 6.0
Vokey Spin Milled 56,60 w/ Project X 6.0
Custom Machine Damascus Center Shaft
WITB Link

#3 7D2

7D2

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 17333
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:01 PM

I have herd the Y Cards help if you don't have a book for the course

#4 paulyb

paulyb

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21901
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 November 2008 - 09:38 PM

I recently did what someone here suggested and used Google Earth.  It has a ruler feature which you can use to measure whatever you want.  Size up the hole how you want it then copy to a jpg.  Add text and print, laminate.  Do a close up of the green and map it out on the course.  Takes time but worked for me.

#5 big_joe

big_joe

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36530
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 03 November 2008 - 12:12 AM

I have only done a few, but what I usually do is go to google earth and get the image of the hole. This eliminates all of the drawing involved. Then I will go to the course and get my yardages using a friends rangefinder, or the markers on the course.

Edited by big_joe, 03 November 2008 - 12:12 AM.

#6 golftitleist

golftitleist

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35598

Posted 03 November 2008 - 07:49 PM

For distances google earth is great. just go to the course on google earth and use the ruler tool.

#7 italianstallion

italianstallion

Bethpage Black - 8th hole

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 246

Posted 03 November 2008 - 10:14 PM

View Posthailtothechief, on Nov 3 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

For distances google earth is great. just go to the course on google earth and use the ruler tool.

tough on exact distances but its a good ballpark tool. I wouldn't trust it enough to take to a course for the first time in a tournament though. Write down what it measures to traps/water/and so on from the tees and thats about it, but verify those distances are halfway right.

#8 Carl Spackler2

Carl Spackler2

ZP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49549

Posted 09 November 2008 - 01:01 AM

I recently did what someone here suggested and used Google Earth. It has a ruler feature which you can use to measure whatever you want. Size up the hole how you want it then copy to a jpg. Add text and print, laminate. Do a close up of the green and map it out on the course. Takes time but worked for me.

Hey how do you save it to a jpg.?

#9 birdieputt

birdieputt

Advanced

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62423

Posted 09 November 2008 - 08:18 AM

I'd keep it simple. Yardages, main hazards, O.B, once you start to the green contours and even fairway contours, it starts to get tricky, so i'd certainly just keep it simple of your a mid-high handicapper.

#10 golftitleist

golftitleist

Tour Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35598

Posted 09 November 2008 - 03:54 PM

View Postitalianstallion, on Nov 3 2008, 09:14 PM, said:

View Posthailtothechief, on Nov 3 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

tough on exact distances but its a good ballpark tool. I wouldn't trust it enough to take to a course for the first time in a tournament though. Write down what it measures to traps/water/and so on from the tees and thats about it, but verify those distances are halfway right.
I'll have to agree to disagree. When I compared the GE yardages to yardages I had gotten with a Bushnell they were all +/- 2 yards.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

Shoot to Thrill, Play to Kill......

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53652
GolfWRX Likes : 213

Posted 11 November 2008 - 01:25 PM

I make yardage books for my son and his golf team.  I use a combination of google earth, yahoo maps, mapquest and geo science for sattellite photos depending on which of that particular course is best.  I keep all my files, so alot of the courses they play I already have a book for.  I personalize each one also.  Here are a couple of examples and I will also show you a print layout that you can print all 18 holes, with a green layout above.  Printing double side on cardstock, you can make an 18hole booklet on five sheets of paper.  Finished product is smaller than a scorecard, fits easily in your back pocket AND plenty of room to write your OWN notes for the hole as well as the green.
Here is the layout sheet to layout and SAVE AS AN IMAGE FILE.  You then use Microsoft Publisher and insert the one picture on page one and insert and the next on page two and it will be rotated upside down.  When you print them, they print front back like the master I show and you construct the book by folding the center card (hole 9) and then 10 and so on.  It will make a perfect book printed front and back with the corresponding green above the hole diagram.  This one, instead of using google earth, I called the scorecard manufacturer and that did the course and they sent me files of the holes they printed minutely on the scorecard.  I blew them up to make the books.  

These books finished end up being 3-1/4" wide by 5" long and just over 1/4" thick when you use card stock.
NOTICE THE CORRESPONDING GREEN ABOVE THE HOLE IS NUMBERED ON THE MASTER SHEET so when stapled together, you have the right green above the right hole.

Posted Image

You will notice ONLY #9 Green is printed above the #9 Hole. There is a pattern that you will see when you put the book together

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is what the google earth or satellite captures that I make look like (different course)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a cover I do for them.  Everyone has a cover with their name
Posted Image

You cut down the center between the holes and trim the left over top or bottom.  I will attach a quick sketch how to put the book together with only 3 staples
Posted Image

Here are some bad phone pictures of the finished product:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Edited by Deerslayer, 11 November 2008 - 05:04 PM.

#12 italianstallion

italianstallion

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:02 PM

hailtothechief, on Nov 9 2008, 03:54 PM, said:

italianstallion, on Nov 3 2008, 09:14 PM, said:

hailtothechief, on Nov 3 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

I'll have to agree to disagree. When I compared the GE yardages to yardages I had gotten with a Bushnell they were all +/- 2 yards.

Ah, well, thats fine. I've tried the google earth thing on my own home course, a course that I could tell you a yardage from anywhere and be spot on, and the ruler just doesn't add up to what it is in real life. But my course is really hilly, so maybe it doesn't account for drastic elevation changes that well.

#13 headcase59

headcase59

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6920

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:19 PM

I would love to do this for my home course and some of the others around my home but when I use google earth my podunk little town doesn't show up with any detail its just a big blurry blob.  Am I doing something wrong on google earth?

#14 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:26 PM

try the others too.  Mapquest, and yahoo maps as well.

#15 italianstallion

italianstallion

• Junior Mod Squad
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,572 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2008 - 05:32 PM

headcase59, on Nov 11 2008, 05:19 PM, said:

I would love to do this for my home course and some of the others around my home but when I use google earth my podunk little town doesn't show up with any detail its just a big blurry blob.  Am I doing something wrong on google earth?

Thats normal especially if you're in the country. My home course is in the country so the map was developed from the city all the way out to the suburbs, but once it hit a mile or two from my course it became undeveloped. It was like this for years until finally this summer my course popped up. I believe that just means a satellite hasn't take a picture of your area yet or it has and its not processed by Google

#16 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,272 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2008 - 06:44 PM

I have been getting some PM's, so here are the steps and programs that I use;  You can do this without buying any special program if you want.

A good program to capture holes on any of the satellite sites like Google Earth or Yahoo or Mapquest is:

Download MWSnap3  
(you can download that program free)

I capture the holes with that software, save each hole as a jpeg file.
Trim each hole in Photoshop or MS Paint and save the trimmed hole file.
I use Photoshop and bevel the edges and add a drop shadow,  and capture a closeup of the green as well and save it seperately
I then have saved a blank of each sheet that only has the legend and hole number in full size 8.5x11 just as you see them for each front and back pages 1-5 (10blanks) One each of these, I just enter the fields of: Par & Distance, insert the trimmed hole .jpeg file and the green that belongs above.  Hole 9-9green, hole 10-8green is above, hole 11-7 green is above, 12- 6green above and so on
Save each sheet as a new .jpeg Numbers the files 1f, 1b, 2f, 2b, 3f, 3b, 4f, 4b, 5f, 5b (1-5 front & back)
Insert each of these sheet .jpegs in MS Publisher to make your front / back files.  
You will end up with 5 publisher files.....1-5 that has a front and a back.  The back will be rotated upside down as you see on the master
Cut them out and fold #9 in on itsef. Folow with 10 through 18.
#9 being the center, 10 wraps around 9 and so on.  This will make the corresponding green be shown above your hole diagram.
You can do a simple circle for the green and hand draw the slopes and green depths if you want.
Unfold the book out flat and using a stapler sink 3 staples in the books spine.  Open the book to #9 and bend the staples flat.
I fold the books back and hammer the spine to flatten the book so it stays closed

Edited by Deerslayer, 11 November 2008 - 10:03 PM.

#17 ryanandrew_golf

ryanandrew_golf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181802
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 11 November 2008 - 09:48 PM

Wow Deerslayer, great work! Thanks

#18 Green Valley

Green Valley

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106187
  • Ebay ID:tlaureto
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 04 November 2011 - 08:50 PM

Deerslayer, on 11 November 2008 - 01:25 PM, said:

I make yardage books for my son and his golf team.  I use a combination of google earth, yahoo maps, mapquest and geo science for sattellite photos depending on which of that particular course is best.  I keep all my files, so alot of the courses they play I already have a book for.  I personalize each one also.  Here are a couple of examples and I will also show you a print layout that you can print all 18 holes, with a green layout above.  Printing double side on cardstock, you can make an 18hole booklet on five sheets of paper.  Finished product is smaller than a scorecard, fits easily in your back pocket AND plenty of room to write your OWN notes for the hole as well as the green.
Here is the layout sheet to layout and SAVE AS AN IMAGE FILE.  You then use Microsoft Publisher and insert the one picture on page one and insert and the next on page two and it will be rotated upside down.  When you print them, they print front back like the master I show and you construct the book by folding the center card (hole 9) and then 10 and so on.  It will make a perfect book printed front and back with the corresponding green above the hole diagram.  This one, instead of using google earth, I called the scorecard manufacturer and that did the course and they sent me files of the holes they printed minutely on the scorecard.  I blew them up to make the books.  

These books finished end up being 3-1/4" wide by 5" long and just over 1/4" thick when you use card stock.
NOTICE THE CORRESPONDING GREEN ABOVE THE HOLE IS NUMBERED ON THE MASTER SHEET so when stapled together, you have the right green above the right hole.

Posted Image

You will notice ONLY #9 Green is printed above the #9 Hole. There is a pattern that you will see when you put the book together

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is what the google earth or satellite captures that I make look like (different course)
Posted Image

Posted Image

Here is a cover I do for them.  Everyone has a cover with their name
Posted Image

You cut down the center between the holes and trim the left over top or bottom.  I will attach a quick sketch how to put the book together with only 3 staples
Posted Image

Here are some bad phone pictures of the finished product:

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

^ probably the coolest thing i have seen. great work! i hope i can do this!

#19 booglez

booglez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 127286
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Quick Question...how would you arrange this for just 9 holes? My friend is on his high school golf team and I'm trying to make him one for his 9 hole home course.

#20 BeanieAZ

BeanieAZ

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128067
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:34 PM

booglez, on 08 November 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

Quick Question...how would you arrange this for just 9 holes? My friend is on his high school golf team and I'm trying to make him one for his 9 hole home course.

I've never done one of these, but will do them for a tournament I have coming up. I'm no expert here, so take this advice with a grain of salt...

When you get to the tenth hole...stop.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 booglez

booglez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:54 PM

You're so wise.

#22 BeanieAZ

BeanieAZ

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128067
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 16 November 2011 - 09:57 AM

lol, thank you sir.

I hope you know I was kidding there and got a lil laugh out of it. That's very cool of you to do for your buddy.

#23 booglez

booglez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2011 - 10:33 AM

Yeah I know you were kidding. I guess the course he plays on, the front nine is very poorly designed so the school only has matches on the back nine.

#24 taylormade_06

taylormade_06

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 104368
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 22 November 2011 - 02:18 AM

paulyb, on 02 November 2008 - 09:38 PM, said:

I recently did what someone here suggested and used Google Earth.  It has a ruler feature which you can use to measure whatever you want.  Size up the hole how you want it then copy to a jpg.  Add text and print, laminate.  Do a close up of the green and map it out on the course.  Takes time but worked for me.

I agree 100% My course doesnth have many sprinkler head markings so this method is great.

#25 ocu_canadian

ocu_canadian

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75306

Posted 12 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

I tried the Google Earth method but my course shows up really blurry, and I am not artistic to the point that I could actually draw mine....Does anyone have any other method? Please help...it's winter, I'm bored and I need a golf project...lol

#26 thaus7

thaus7

The more I practice the luckier I get... my swag factor is 0.12

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119805
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 13 January 2012 - 06:30 PM

ocu_canadian, on 12 January 2012 - 06:01 PM, said:

I tried the Google Earth method but my course shows up really blurry, and I am not artistic to the point that I could actually draw mine....Does anyone have any other method? Please help...it's winter, I'm bored and I need a golf project...lol

im pretty sure yahoo and bing have a application similar to google earth that you could try.

#27 csv123

csv123

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132254

Posted 13 January 2012 - 11:20 PM

golftitleist, on 09 November 2008 - 03:54 PM, said:

italianstallion, on Nov 3 2008, 09:14 PM, said:

hailtothechief, on Nov 3 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

+1 I used to use Google Earth at work to make measurements when I didn't feel like making a trip to field. Were always within a foot or two of the laser.

#28 Mmmblazer

Mmmblazer

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 120705
  • Ebay ID:123blaesser

Posted 23 January 2012 - 03:46 AM

Knucklefade, on 11 November 2008 - 09:48 PM, said:

would you be willing to make one of these for me?

#29 ocu_canadian

ocu_canadian

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75306

Posted 16 February 2012 - 02:48 AM

Mmmblazer, on 23 January 2012 - 03:46 AM, said:

Knucklefade, on 11 November 2008 - 09:48 PM, said:

would you be willing to make one of these for me?
+1 me too haha

#30 Shankorama

Shankorama

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 199762

Posted 18 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

I bought a little flip open memo book and am gonna use that for my home course which has 27 holes so they all fit in it and ill do the whole hole with yardages on bottom and the green on the top.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors