Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

What spikes (and system) are you using? (POLL)

110 replies to this topic

Poll: Spikes & Shoes (790 member(s) have cast votes)

What attachment system do you use?

1. Small thread (58 votes [7.33%])

Percentage of vote: 7.33%

2. Large thread (20 votes [2.53%])

Percentage of vote: 2.53%

3. Tri-Lock / Q-lok / Q-fit (354 votes [44.75%])

Percentage of vote: 44.75%

4. Fast Twist (307 votes [38.81%])

Percentage of vote: 38.81%

5. Other (52 votes [6.57%])

Percentage of vote: 6.57%

Do you buy the shoe first, or the spike system?

1. I buy the shoe, and don't care what attchments they use (608 votes [76.86%])

Percentage of vote: 76.86%

2. I'll only buy a shoe with the attachment system I prefer (62 votes [7.84%])

Percentage of vote: 7.84%

3. I don't care either way (121 votes [15.30%])

Percentage of vote: 15.30%

What spikes do you play?

1. Any--it doesn't matter (107 votes [13.53%])

Percentage of vote: 13.53%

2. Softspikes - Black Widow (158 votes [19.97%])

Percentage of vote: 19.97%

3. Softspikes - Black Widow PULSAR (140 votes [17.70%])

Percentage of vote: 17.70%

4. Softspikes - Shadow Cleats (6 votes [0.76%])

Percentage of vote: 0.76%

5. Champ Scorpion Stinger (269 votes [34.01%])

Percentage of vote: 34.01%

6. Champ Edge (10 votes [1.26%])

Percentage of vote: 1.26%

7. Champ Tred-Lite (1 votes [0.13%])

Percentage of vote: 0.13%

8. Eclipse (1 votes [0.13%])

Percentage of vote: 0.13%

9. Other (64 votes [8.09%])

Percentage of vote: 8.09%

10. I still play metal spikes (32 votes [4.05%])

Percentage of vote: 4.05%

11. None - I don't believe in golf shoes (3 votes [0.38%])

Percentage of vote: 0.38%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 generalpatton

generalpatton

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16215
  • Ebay ID:klassicgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:08 PM

I buy the shoe first and then worry about spikes when the ones that came in it wear out.  Since I've been on Adidas shoes for a couple years I've been buying the Adidas replacement spikes and I really like them over the softspikes.  Second are the Champ Stingers.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 craz-e

craz-e

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39596
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 30 March 2009 - 12:54 AM

No love for the smart quill?, thinking about getting a set of Puma's but don't know much about the grip levels with the samrt quills especially in wet conditions.

#63 OldSkoolTexan

OldSkoolTexan

BORN TO PLAY BALATA!

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,622 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44844
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 30 March 2009 - 02:13 AM

Is use Pro Stingers! I forgot what traction felt like!

Attached Images

• stinger_metal_large.jpg

#64 bear

bear

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 75509
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 01 April 2009 - 08:07 PM

I cannot stand the softspikes.  They wear great.  They give great traction, and they are a PITA to remove.  Dirt usually clogs the receptacles and after spending close to an hour removing them from a pair of shoes one day, using a pair of pliers to boot on virtually every spike, I vowed never again.  I use Champ Scorpion Stingers.  They wear a little faster than the softspikes, provide just as much traction, occasionally fall off, but in less than fifteen minutes I can change out a pair of shoes, using pliers on one or two spikes.

#65 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

Shoot to Thrill, Play to Kill......

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,277 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53652
GolfWRX Likes : 312

Posted 10 April 2009 - 11:11 AM

I have been wearing smart quills for a bit now and love them on course.  IF not the Smart Quill system, I prefer Stinger spikes.  This is from a player that when I was young, all of our shoes were leather soles and metal spikes.  For much of my golfing career, I wore nails.  None of today's spikes grip like the nails of the past.  Metal spikes, however made it VERY interesting walking into convenience stores and other places off course that had linoleum floors.  It was WORSE than walking on ice.  Wear on everything like concrete walks, bridges and anything was unbelievable.  I understand why we have transitioned to soft spike systems.  I have to admit, I do miss the sound of spikes on concrete though.  My son is 14yrs old and at the Shell Houston Open last weekend, a pro was walking by with nails on and my son looked at me and first said "whats that" and then realized and asked if that is what spikes used to sound like.
I will say this, there arent as many spike drag marks like we used to have to deal with.  Many times in the past you would play behind someone who did not pick up their feet and there would be arching cuts all over greens.  That is rare these days.  
The Smart Quill system is awesome on course and walking on concrete even, the ONLY thing I have found that I havent been crazy about is the hard lip around the sole can be slick when you step on the edge of a golf cart floor, or on a sidestep of a truck.  In some of those instances you better be coordinated and a fast recoverer, or you will find yourself on your arse quick!  Some things never change :)

#66 Oldnavycdr

Oldnavycdr

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46324
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 17 April 2009 - 02:54 PM

A couple of pair of Ecco Flex with Champ Stingers -- Q-Lok (poor system) and three pair of FJ Dry Joy Pro -- transistioning from Soft Spikes to Champ Stingers.  The FJ's are Tri-Lok/Fast Twist.  All are fairly comfortable but I ride mostly so it is all about the traction.

#67 ericld

ericld

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,161 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22924
GolfWRX Likes : 51

Posted 17 April 2009 - 08:03 PM

I golf in running shoes 60% of the time and golf shoes 40%.  No I don't wear jeans, I belong to a golf club.  I find that I will slide out once ever 5 rounds in tennis shoes so it's not that big of a deal.

The best golfer (+2hc) and longest hitter of the ball I have EVER played with, plays exclusively in running shoes like ASICs.

I think golf shoes are overrated in recreational golf.

Edited by ericld, 17 April 2009 - 08:07 PM.

#68 iKhanh

iKhanh

failure is not an option

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53732
  • Ebay ID:ikhanh
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 April 2009 - 09:49 PM

does adidas (tour 360 3.0's) use their own proprietary cleat system? I know they sell the adidas traxion cleats but do i HAVE to use those?

#69 BoomBoomLarry

BoomBoomLarry

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 377 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32691
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 17 April 2009 - 10:00 PM

I dont see why the Champ Scorpion Stinger are so popular?
They only have 3 spikes that arent that long. Therefore enough walking on hard surfaces between holes will wear them out fast than the other soft spikes.

#70 NYsportsfann

NYsportsfann

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 50129

Posted 19 April 2009 - 04:50 PM

nikes are alright, footjoy is the best and the easiest to get in and out.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#71 rs18

rs18

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 76625

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:45 PM

I don't look at the spike system when I buy, but really, most shoes fall into either the Q-lok or the Fast twist camp, so it's not really that big of a deal.  I had been wearing the Pulsar cleats which are very comfortable, but recently switched to the Champion Scorpion spikes (new shoes) which are not quite as comfortable, but shockingly more stable and grippy.  I also liked the Adidas specific spikes, but they clog slightly more than the Champs for me.

I might also add that it is a pain in the a** to change spikes with either the Q-lok or Fast Twist systems.  The tools they give you only work if there's no dirt or debris wedged under the spike, which, unless your shoes are new and you're just changing spikes, is never.  I usually have to use a couple pairs of pliers to get them out, and the tool to put them in.

Edited by rs18, 13 May 2009 - 06:49 PM.

#72 Pweb44

Pweb44

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67268
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 13 May 2009 - 06:55 PM

All my previous golf shoes until my current Nike Revive's have had small metal treads to lock them to the shoe, so this is the first pair that uses the Q-Lok, Champ Stinger.

I haven't worn my Nike's long enough to feel the spikes through the insoles like I would with my other shoes using the Metal threads. I'm not sure if that is an issue with the newer locking systems or golf shoes today.

Edited by Pweb44, 13 May 2009 - 07:05 PM.

#73 Pweb44

Pweb44

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67268
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 13 May 2009 - 07:05 PM

View PostAUDuffer, on Feb 21 2006, 01:11 PM, said:

Not really a threadjack since this is on topic, but has anyone else found it hard to remove the spikes on Adidas shoes? I was changing out the spikes on my Tour 360s and a pair of the sneaker golf shoes and it seemed like someone put the spikes on with a damn air-powered wrench--any suggestions on making the process easier or loosening them up?

I have found that to be a problem as well with new shoes that the spikes seem to be installed really tight. Usually before I wear the shoes for the first time I'll unlock them then tighten them again, but that was usually when I had spikes that used the metal threads. I found that once I did that I usually didn't have any issues later when I was replacing the worn out spikes. I also like to switch my spikes around so some the ones that get more wear are swap with others on the shoe that look hardly used. I find it help them last longer, like rotating the tires on your car for even wear and tear.

#74 emh181

emh181

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 65210

Posted 25 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I have the Puma Swing Crown GTX with the SmartQuills also. I really like them. Very comfortable and great traction.

I always walk and these shoes have been great.

#75 ExoticsGuy13

ExoticsGuy13

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6095
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 25 May 2009 - 09:58 PM

New Black Widow Tour with adjustable support!

#76 elementlax

elementlax

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63714

Posted 30 June 2009 - 10:13 AM

i LOVE my adidas DTAC spikes. they never have one of the arm break off, and those six spikes in the middle are great as well

#77 Rhys W

Rhys W

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 87208
  • Ebay ID:martianradio

Posted 05 August 2009 - 09:09 PM

put black widows in a few weeks ago, lost 5 of em so far, not exactly happy about that.

#78 Yrian

Yrian

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 91842

Posted 30 September 2009 - 12:29 PM

I currently have multiple shoes using either Q-lock(Nike) or fast twist (FJ, Ecco) and I would honestly not buy a shoe that use any other than these two, most because two types are more than enough to keep track of spares etc. If I had to choose it would be fast twist, as I just find them easier to change. I would honestly keep to fast twist if it was not for the fact I got an unbeatable deal on high end nikes that I just couldn't turn down.

For brand of spikes it's only champ scorpions for me. This is because they are first of all the ones that give me best traction where I play and secondly I love their patented anti-mud ring thing around the fast twist threads as it really keeps dirt out and helps keeping threads clean an therefor makes changing easier and cleaner.

#79 feetup

feetup

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 889 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40216
  • Handicap:6.5
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 02 October 2009 - 11:40 PM

Black Widow Tours in my DryJoys (Fast Twist). Best traction so far :D
BBA 9.0 ZT 60 X
RFE 15* Fubuki Z 85 X
XHP 18* Fubuki 415 X
MP-64/MP-4 4-PW Px 5.5
Odyssey White Hot Tour
MPT-10 52,56,60 Px 5.5

#80 gsazabi

gsazabi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70870

Posted 03 October 2009 - 04:24 AM

Smart Quills! Traction blows away the traditional replacable spikes!

Posted Image

On my three other Adidas shoes I use SoftSpikes Black Widow Tour and on my Nike I use Scorpion Stinger.

Edited by gsazabi, 03 October 2009 - 04:26 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#81 mhallee

mhallee

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86844

Posted 24 October 2009 - 08:21 AM

I am glad you like the OEM Adidas spike, which is made by "softspikes". Softspikes makes OEM spikes for 8 out 10 top shoe makers in the world.

#82 HISPL

HISPL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,961 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74563
  • Ebay ID:hisplgolfer
GolfWRX Likes : 120

Posted 25 January 2010 - 08:07 AM

I wear mainly Adidas shoes and replace the spikes with the Stinger Pro before I even wear them.

There is nothing like metal spikes, the grip they offer is 2nd to none!

I have a handful of pairs with soft spikes for use at courses that wont allow metal spikes.

I'm fortunate that my club allows metal spikes, I hate soft spikes with a passion!

#83 Redbird

Redbird

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2051
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 26 January 2010 - 08:45 PM

Adidas THINtech

#84 woods991

woods991

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29516
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 19 August 2010 - 04:22 PM

View Postdtgolder, on 19 February 2006 - 02:15 PM, said:

Ok, so I'm wondering about spikes.

I'm likely to get a new pair of shoes this year (as the old ones are wearing out). My next to last pair used the small screw type of attachment (and came with traditional metal spikes as "original equipment"). Trouble was when I switched to soft spikes, they always twisted out, and I'd lose a spike or two every few rounds.

So, my last pair (Foot Joys) used trilock and seems to work well, but I'm now wondering if folks have a preference. Additionally, if one attachment system is far and away the winner, I'd likely consider only shoes with that system (or it is more important to get the shoe you like, irrespective of the attachment system). Is there a trend to a clear market winner in terms of attachment system, or will we likely have to live with a number of systems for some time...seems each manufacturer says their system is "best".

I'm also wondering what the consensus is on the best spikes? I've been using Scorpion for a few years now, but I like the idea of the "wear indicator" on the Champ Stingers.

Love to hear what folks are using and what they feel is best (or worst).
I like the soft spikes tour, you can adjust your spikes to have more cushion on one side, or even customize a variation of different setups.  pretty cool idea if you ask me..
CallyBig Bertha '14 KK tini 60 proto
Nike Covert tour FW Fubuki K70
Mizzy MP-54 KBS Tour 110 4-PW
Cobra tour issue rf wedges 53,56,59
Cleveland 588 Mt 19 w/KBS C Taper
Scotty futura x w/rainbow circle t hat

#85 herrsonic

herrsonic

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52717

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:18 AM

Sssshhhh..... but metal spikes are the only way to go ... especially on softer conditions.
It's quite rare nowadays that I've only had one player and one groundskeeper called me out on metal spikes.

#86 david92

david92

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3200
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 20 August 2010 - 06:18 AM

It is still the norm at many old traditional clubs in the UK that metal spikes are allowed and in the wet/muddy conditions you get in a UK winter through which many UK golfers play it is safer to use a metal spike.

What would be great though is to find somewhee that still makes/sells the ceramic tip versions

#87 mjonzy20

mjonzy20

Jonzy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53629
  • Handicap:12.9

Posted 12 October 2010 - 12:10 PM

Fasttwist, PULSARS

#88 sheppy335

sheppy335

TMAG Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,185 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11865
  • Handicap:19
  • Ebay ID:sheppy33
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 12 October 2010 - 02:01 PM

I use Black Widows in one pair and Champ Stinger Pros in another. Of course i dont change spike out when the show is new.
TM R1 TP 10.5 Mitsubishi Kai'li
TM RBZ Tour 13 Matrix Xcon 7
TM RBZ Tour HL3 17 UST V2
TM SLDR 4-pw Project X
TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74
TM xFT TP 50, 54, 58 Nippon Pro WV115

#89 stage1350

stage1350

If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for anything.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,666 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 664
  • Location:5 stars, 5 diamonds, 28 tables, 600 slots. Life is good...
  • Ebay ID:stage1350
GolfWRX Likes : 1309

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:10 PM

Small thread Footjoy Classics, Coors Ceramics softspikes.
Tour Issue SLDR 430 9w/ GD P9003 TX
X-Hot Pro 3Deep 13 w/ Project X-10A2
Tour Issue 585.H 17 w/ Diamana Thump X
Mizuno MP-63 3-PW w/ Nippon Modus 120 TX
Vokey SM-5 54M and 60M w/ DG Tour X7
Bettinardi Solid Copper BB2 RJB1982

#90 Zeph

Zeph

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 173 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 86580
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 13 October 2010 - 08:12 AM

I don't care really, my main concern is the quality and fit of the shoe itself. I've used 3-4 different type of spikes and didn't notice any difference in performance.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors