Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * - - 7 votes

Jeans on the Golf Course - Yay or Nay?

2036 replies to this topic

Poll: Jeans on the Course... (3295 member(s) have cast votes)

Do YOU wear jeans on the course?

1. Yes. I wear jeans on the course. (591 votes [17.93%])

Percentage of vote: 17.93%

2. No. I do not wear jeans on the course. (2705 votes [82.07%])

Percentage of vote: 82.07%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 saltcity

saltcity

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35794
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:11 AM

NEVER.
Even worse, dudes that wear jean shorts. Don't be that guy.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#62 SPY ZINGER

SPY ZINGER

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14712
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:14 AM

Paging Mr. Divots...

#63 Carl Spackler2

Carl Spackler2

ZP

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49549
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:17 AM

Winter time in Colorado is the only time you should wear jeans on the golf course. Well this is coming from a teenager in highschool but hey when the course isn't even "open" and its snowing hell ya your wearing jeans.

#64 jeffc

jeffc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24100
  • Ebay ID:goho
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:49 AM

can someone explain to me how jeans are warmer than khakis? About the same to me and if you are really that cold, wear long underwear. Jeans have to be about the least comfortable thing to swing a golf club in.

#65 DOUGLY

DOUGLY

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4908

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:54 AM

Never.
Not even to the range.
I won't even step on the grounds without a collared shirt; it just doesn't feel/look right.

#66 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Hall of Fame

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 563

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:59 AM

View Postjeffc, on Oct 25 2008, 10:49 AM, said:

can someone explain to me how jeans are warmer than khakis? About the same to me and if you are really that cold, wear long underwear. Jeans have to be about the least comfortable thing to swing a golf club in.
I concur, too me jeans are less comfortable than khakis,
BTW the other day I was getting ready to tee off and this teenager was getting ready to play with what appeared to be his father.  He was wearing the really low cut, tight fitting "rock star" type of jeans.  The kind of jeans that IMO are only fit for women........ skinny women, maybe the dumbest looking fashion statement I have ever seen on a golf course.
Titleist 910 10.5
Nike Covert 3 wood,Ping I20 5 wood
Titleist 910 H 21*
Mizuno JPX 800 Pro 4-P
SC Bullseye Flange
Miura 53* Y grind, SM2 58.12

#67 JLisbetter

JLisbetter

Rookie

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51925

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

i'd never wear jeans on the course, and i wouldn't be able to anyway cause my club doesn't allow jeans.
i just think it makes u look like a hacker, and i don't see how it could even be comfortable

#68 Swingtheclub

Swingtheclub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30394
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:29 AM

Yes I think all you jean haters should return to the more traditional wear of   knickers a sport coat a long sleeve shirt and tie

Its 2008 gentleman not 1910

By the way I wear jean shorts to.

#69 CPSOX

CPSOX

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 487 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4622
GolfWRX Likes : 39

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:30 AM

View Postdlygrisse, on Oct 25 2008, 09:55 AM, said:

***I have actually played courses that allowd people to play sans shirt.  IMO this is where the line should be drawn, if you want to go to the beach go to the beach, but keep your damn shirt on******

Me too.....Garden City Golf Club on Long Island, NY.  Past the 3rd hole, you can play naked if you wanted to.  BUT, anywhere in the clubhouse except the locker room you are REQUIRED to wear a sports coat.  Pretty awesome place, definitely NOT uptight or "uppity" even though most would stereotype it as such knowing they'd need a sport coat to visit.  May be the most laid back club I've ever visited.

I still haven't heard why people prefer to wear jeans over khakis.  A decent pair of khakis are lighter and softer than any pair of jeans I've ever owned.  You can wear under armor underneath khakis in cold weather and when jeans get wet, they get really heavy.  I know the last thing some people want to get labeled is "preppy", but if putting a different pair of pants on defines who you are, that's weak.  

I also understand that many wear jeans to work and want to get a few holes in after work.  I get that too.  But when I play golf, the last thing I want to do is think about work....taking 5 minutes to change pants and put something nice on to get myself in a different state of mind is well worth it.  I want to enjoy golf and usually anything that reminds me of work on the course is contradictory to that goal.

#70 mont86

mont86

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 182 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51306

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:31 AM

I do and I see them all the time...and all ages..

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#71 animalistic

animalistic

7th Hole Ballybunion !!

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9000

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:32 AM

Jeans should not be allowed on a golf course...simple as that. Its simply not right.

#72 SpinMill75

SpinMill75

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,164 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66455
GolfWRX Likes : 98

Posted 25 October 2008 - 11:36 AM

Jeans should be banned from any golf course.....they just look disrespectful to such a proper game.

#73 hoganguy

hoganguy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53040
  • Ebay ID:ichabod98

Posted 25 October 2008 - 12:48 PM

Even though our club allows them from after Labor Day until April 1st I do not ever wear jeans or jean shorts on any course.

#74 Bomb and Gouge

Bomb and Gouge

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24572
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:32 PM

Well I just got back from playing one of the nicest public courses in the state and saw no fewer than 10 guys in jeans.

I don't recall ever seeing so much denim on the course...kinda strange.

#75 Sartorial

Sartorial

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 139 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57242

Posted 25 October 2008 - 01:56 PM

As my user name implies, never jeans on a course and rarely, shorts.  Also:

Hat off immediately when entering from out of doors
Shirt tucked in

Just my upbringing that appearance is very important in all facets of life.

Sartorial

#76 bboard

bboard

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49513

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:49 PM

Only on the cheaper city course when its under 50* out.  Blue Jeans are almost high class there, the other week I saw someone in cutoffs and hunting boots.

Any where else it's dress slacks.  Always collared shirts tucked in and clean shoes.

#77 Johnny

Johnny

Get Kwok'd

• Marshals
  • 8,394 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55

Posted 25 October 2008 - 06:53 PM

if it gets cold.. just wear lined khaki's... dickies, gap, old navy.. cheaper then jeans and warmer.
Woods : Callaway Razr TA, Titleist F3-05
Hybrid : Adams LSP XTD
Irons : Fourteen TC910 3&4I, Nike VRProCombo 5-PW
Wedges : Fourteen RM-11 54/60
Putter : Nike Method 003 Oven

#78 Swingtheclub

Swingtheclub

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30394

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

I simply love jeans and am amazed at how snobish this thread is.

Just the same the masses have spoken and the anti jeans people are clearly the winner

Hey guys if I wear pleated jeans by Docker does it count as jeans

Is it politically correct to discriminate against denim

I mean Levi's and Wrangerl built this country

Just wish I could vote denim to the PGA tour  I have been a long time advocate that they wear shorts.

They let the women????

#79 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 25 October 2008 - 07:52 PM

Exactly, it doesnt look good!

View PostClubHoUno, on Oct 25 2008, 05:35 AM, said:

Jeans in regular life YES :yes:
Jeans on the golf course NO NO NO  :nono: :stop:

#80 fedorsha

fedorsha

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 96 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67822
  • Ebay ID:fedorsha

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

I like to wear daisy duke jean shorts,but my girlfriend does not like it.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#81 mshills

mshills

Consistently inconsistent.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,563 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139083
GolfWRX Likes : 259

Posted 25 October 2008 - 09:54 PM

Jeans on the golf course?  Wow, no way, no how.  Never.   :nono:  Public course or private course, it's just not appropriate.
Driver: Srixon Z-Star, Miyazaki Dromos
3w:  TEE CB2, Motore F1
3i - PW:  Mizuno MP52, S300
SW:  Ping ISI S2 BeCu
LW:  OG Ping Eye 2 BeCu
Putter:  Cleveland Almost Belly

#82 RocketSauce

RocketSauce

Advanced

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68219

Posted 25 October 2008 - 10:07 PM

absolutely not where i play

#83 Gallery_midasmulligan2000_*

Gallery_midasmulligan2000_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 26 October 2008 - 06:30 AM

I've never worn jeans. In fact, I've never even worn shorts (even in Texas or Florida summers).

I suppose it is (to some degree) how one starts playing golf ... what you get used to. I started playing four decades ago. Jeans and shorts were simply unthinkable. The traditions of the game were every bit as important as the strokes.  Things have been relaxed a lot since then. The formal environment just doesn't exist any longer. I have some younger friends these days that simply cannot understand why one can't play in anything that is comfortable (jeans, shorts, t-shirts, whatever).

Really, it cannot be explained. I personally, would just feel so uncomfortable that my game would suffer ... I'll I'd be focused on is how odd it felt. But I suppose I don't really care what anyone else does.

I can't really complain that much about the death of standards ... because really, it is all a matter of perspective. when I was learning (in the 60's) ... there were old guys then bemoaning the fact that tradition was dying ... because no one wore dress shirts and ties anymore (which was their comfort zone when they started playing). ... ;)

Edited by midasmulligan2000, 26 October 2008 - 06:31 AM.

#84 Emm

Emm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19379

Posted 26 October 2008 - 08:16 AM

I wear Jeans more often than not,  They are never old or tired looking, but single colour jeans whether thats Tan, Grey or Black coloured.

Wearing Jeans doesn't make me less polite, play worse, have bad etiquette, or fail to repair a pitch mark/divot.  Having a 50 year old dress code is simply ancient snobbery of the typical upper class, captains parking spaces and all the BS that goes with golf, I truly hate.  The sooner Golf gets into the real world the better,  its one of the places where you step back in time the moment you park up.  Why have so many said "no way"? What the hell difference does it make?  

You may perhaps have  a public footpath next to a hole, and a person walking there dog has a pair of Jeans on, and you think nothing of it, but the guy in front putting on a green is wearing jeans and you say no way?  Sorry I just don't get it.

Edited by Emm, 26 October 2008 - 08:18 AM.

#85 xfactor712

xfactor712

Rookie

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53954

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:08 AM

This is, and always will be, the true golf style.  Absolutely timeless (unlike cargo pants).

Posted Image

#86 jeffc

jeffc

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24100
  • Ebay ID:goho
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:27 AM

View PostEmm, on Oct 26 2008, 09:16 AM, said:

I wear Jeans more often than not,  They are never old or tired looking, but single colour jeans whether thats Tan, Grey or Black coloured.

Wearing Jeans doesn't make me less polite, play worse, have bad etiquette, or fail to repair a pitch mark/divot.  Having a 50 year old dress code is simply ancient snobbery of the typical upper class, captains parking spaces and all the BS that goes with golf, I truly hate.  The sooner Golf gets into the real world the better,  its one of the places where you step back in time the moment you park up.  Why have so many said "no way"? What the hell difference does it make?

It makes all the difference. It's a gentleman's game, shrouded in hundreds of years of history and tradition. And it's far from snobbery. I am anything but a snob. Should you wear jeans and a wifebeater to a funeral? A wedding? your graduation? A job interview? How about opening a door for a woman? Saying please and thank you? And where do you want to draw that line regarding what to wear? Respect the game and its traditions.

#87 ezra76

ezra76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25285
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 26 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

I've worn a pair of light blue carpenter jeans in January. Winter rate off temp tees. During the regular season I never wear jeans. I usually wear cargos during the winter since they're heavier and have a few decent pairs of golf pants and shorts for during the spring/summer. The courses I play don't make a big deal about dress. I think a couple of them say "collared shirt" but they don't enforce it. I could really give 2 $hits but it does look pretty redneck when I see guys out there in Tshirts and jeans.

#88 osubass1

osubass1

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19951

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:00 AM

View PostTitleist1455, on Oct 24 2008, 02:30 PM, said:

NAY!!

And to the posters above...cargo shorts/pants have been "out" for about 10 years now.

oh really?

someone might want to tell this guy...

Posted Image

#89 xfactor712

xfactor712

Rookie

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53954

Posted 26 October 2008 - 10:02 AM

View Postosubass1, on Oct 26 2008, 10:00 AM, said:

View PostTitleist1455, on Oct 24 2008, 02:30 PM, said:

NAY!!

And to the posters above...cargo shorts/pants have been "out" for about 10 years now.

oh really?

someone might want to tell this guy...

Posted Image

yeah... someone needs to give him lessons too ... total hack

#90 rge

rge

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14384
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 26 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

View Postdlygrisse, on Oct 25 2008, 10:00 AM, said:

View Postrge, on Oct 25 2008, 05:54 AM, said:

In any golf course in the country I come from, Jeans are not allowed. Not even the caddies wear jeans on the course during weekly caddy day.  Even the lowliest of courses will implement these rules or at very least frown upon those that choose to dress and play in that manner.  I guess it's the course's way of imparting some modicum of respect for the game
what country do you come from?

The Philippines

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors