Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Midsize Vs. Standard Grip size

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 stocki11

stocki11

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33162
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:38 PM

according to pings webfit, I should be playing a standard grip, which i am currently.  However, I recently bought a driver which has a midsize grip on it, and after hitting it today I get the feeling that I like the midsize grip better.  It just feels solid.

My question is, since i like the larger diameter grip on my driver, should i re-grip the rest of my clubs to a midsize?  Would the larger grip feel weird in my shorter irons and wedges?  perhaps split the difference with a couple wraps of tape under my current size grips? I just don't know...

I don't really know what kind of answer I am looking for here, since this is purely a personal preference type of topic, but any insight / personal experience knowledge you could give me would be appreciated!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 niconico

niconico

nico

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62939
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

i use mid size grips in everything but i have early stages of arthritis and need too....

i purchased a used set with midsize grips on them and since than changed my hybrids, driver, putter, and wedges.... i do feel like there is less twisting and more control...

but yes it is prefferential.... try it, i cant hit with anything less...

#3 PurePursuit

PurePursuit

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38491
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 October 2008 - 07:57 PM

Love midsize grips, feel like I can have a nice grip pressure without giving up any control

#4 STP6

STP6

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46687

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:10 PM

You should check other fitters' recommendations to make sure Ping has you pegged correctly at std.

Midsize and Jumbo grips help people with diminished grip pressure maintain control of the club throughout the swing.  If you suffer from tendinitis, arthritis, or just "sore" hands, midsize could be a viable alternative for you.

If you're not suffering from one of the above, it's really more of a feel thing and not so mechanical.

#5 valdezrl

valdezrl

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 278 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15876

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:13 PM

I had the same experience with midsize grips.   I bought a set of Titleist AP1s on eBay and they came with midsize grips.   I had full intentions of changing them, but I did not have time to before I took them out for a round.   I don't think I have felt a more comfortable grip in my hands.  I have since changed to midsize in all my clubs and have not looked back.

Nike Covert Tour w/ Accra Tour Z 65
TM RocketBallz Stage 2 w/ Accra LT70
Adams Dhy 18 w/ Nunchuk
Nike VRS Forged 4-GW, DGX100
TM ATV Wedges 56* and 64*
Odyssey Black Tour #2

#6 FATC1TY

FATC1TY

Getting it up, and down!

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,596 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55542
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:38 PM

I can't stand midsize grips.. But ironically, I do 2 wraps on my normal grips.

I got my driver regripped a few weeks ago, and the retard put a midsize on it..

I decided to try it out and I kinda like it.. don't think I'd want it on my irons though.

I'd try them out.. It's more comfort than it is technical and proper.

#7 atlanta golfer

atlanta golfer

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35725
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 20 October 2008 - 08:46 PM

For any given hand / finger size, wouldn't a larger grip tend to promote a fade, and a smaller grip promote a stronger release and a draw?  So depending on your tendencies, you might go either way?  Note this is independent of other reasons such as arthritis for going with a larger grip.

#8 wildwilly911

wildwilly911

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,709 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21429

Posted 20 October 2008 - 10:03 PM

View Postatlanta golfer, on Oct 20 2008, 08:46 PM, said:

For any given hand / finger size, wouldn't a larger grip tend to promote a fade, and a smaller grip promote a stronger release and a draw?  So depending on your tendencies, you might go either way?  Note this is independent of other reasons such as arthritis for going with a larger grip.
thats horse pucky. grip size is more about feel
use a grip that feels good to you, there is no person that can tell you the right size grip. your the one holding the club you decide what feels good.

#9 El Crab

El Crab

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40465
  • Ebay ID:el_crab

Posted 20 October 2008 - 11:13 PM

I used to have midsize grips to take my wrists out of the swing.  But then one day, I despised them.  It was funny, because I was angry they were even on my clubs.  I couldn't get them swapped out fast enough.

#10 3step

3step

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42998
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:19 AM

Ben Hogan played with a grip on his driver that was quite a bit bigger so that he didn't feel like it was going to twist all over the place. Also, for a smaller guy, Hogan had bigger hands.

Most golfers think that golf clubs are one size only. However, if you go out on the LPGA, Tour, PGA Tour, Nationwide Tour, etc, you will find dozens of different sizes. They choose these based on feel, swing efficiency, physical comfort, and even mental comfort.

Regards, 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 chrisfx811

chrisfx811

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 863 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19101

Posted 21 October 2008 - 09:36 AM

One thing about Ping's web-fit is, it doesn't take into account what type of grip you take.  Sure, it's nice to say we should all be playing with a nice, neutral, light pressure grip, but that's really not the case.
A strongish, deep in the fingers lead hand grip, for me, makes a midsize grip almost necessary.  If I play with a more palmy lead hand grip, I can and should use a std with maybe one or 2 wraps tops.

I do know, that for myself, I wish more grips came taperless instead of just the quick wearing Winns.

#12 fillphil

fillphil

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40107
  • Ebay ID:gamayrose
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:19 PM

My experience: Same as you! I bought a used set of irons w/midsize grips and played several times with good success. Decided to change driver grip to midsize. After playing several rounds I began to see a tendency to pull shots to the left. Went back to standard (which I measure for) and problem went away. I'm a senior golfer and noticed , also, that my hands hurt more with the midsize. My iron play has improved. Don't know what to make of all this but maybe length and torque come into play.

#13 piston088

piston088

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 43125

Posted 27 October 2008 - 10:48 PM

Anyone have an idea about the number of wraps necessary to resemble midsize grips?

#14 mad4golf

mad4golf

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 42451

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:06 AM

just changed to lamkin redcap midsize wow difference is amazing don`t feel like i`m flicking at the ball anymore

#15 schmatt

schmatt

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57411
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 29 October 2008 - 09:26 AM

View Postpiston088, on Oct 27 2008, 10:48 PM, said:

Anyone have an idea about the number of wraps necessary to resemble midsize grips?

A +4 wrap with a standard grip would be the equivalent of a midsize grip.

As far as correct grip sizing, your middle finger of your glove hand should just be touching the palm of your hand for a properly sized grip.  Playing a grip that it larger will make it more difficult to use your wrists in the swing.  This would be fine for someone who does not have a wristy swing, but will wreak havoc on a swing that uses a lot of wrist action.  If you can still hit your normal shot shape with the larger grips, then go for it.  But if you are having trouble turning the ball over or squaring up the face of the club, then go back to a properly sized grip.

#16 midwayj

midwayj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44818
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 29 October 2008 - 02:17 PM

About 8 years ago I tried a midsize grip on my driver.  I decided I liked the feel so eventually I swapped the grips on all my clubs.  Recently, I put a standard grip on the driver just for grins.  I've decided I now prefer the standard grip so I'm swapping out the 3-wood, too.  Go figure.  I'm going to keep midize in the irons, though.  I guess it's mostly about personal preference as long both sizes are in the comfort zone.  I could never use Jumbo grips.  They feel way too big.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 1 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors