Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Scotty Cameron Ball Marker

42 replies to this topic

#1 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

Shoot to Thrill, Play to Kill......

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53652
GolfWRX Likes : 522

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:42 PM

I looked at these on ebay and wasnt about to pay the $75 or more that they are going for, however last week, I looked on the Scotty site and they had them for sale for $44.  I couldnt resist, so I bought one.  I recieved it today and changed the paint fill and did a little custom work on it before I gave it to my son.  They are a pretty cool novelty.  It will be interesting to get his feedback on it after he uses it for a while.  I noticed that they are sold out again, so I may get it back from him if he doesnt like using it.  My son uses the line on his ball only on 3-4 foot putts, so I will be interested in hearing his feedback.

Has anyone else used one of these?

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by Deerslayer, 29 September 2008 - 08:55 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Bomb and Gouge

Bomb and Gouge

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24572
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 29 September 2008 - 07:55 PM

I picked up one of these too (for $44) but I'm not even sure what to do w/ it.  

I collect Cameron stuff and typically use everything I buy.  But I really see no use for this, it's too big- IMO.  I like my ball marker to be as small and innocuous as possible.

That said, I really hope your son enjoys it!   :drinks:

#3 pm4610

pm4610

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10852
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:51 PM

Very Nice paintfill job!  I'd try one for $44, but not $80 from eBay.  Hopefully, Scotty will have them in stock again.

#4 QWKDTSN

QWKDTSN

Dreaming of Bandon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57534
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 29 September 2008 - 11:55 PM

You forgot to paintfill the dot in the 'I' in 'Titleist'.... :drinks:

#5 pm4610

pm4610

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10852

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:00 AM

View PostQWKDTSN, on Sep 29 2008, 11:55 PM, said:

You forgot to paintfill the dot in the 'I' in 'Titleist'.... :drinks:

Good eye...I thought he did that in purpose.

#6 Emm

Emm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19379
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:46 AM

Not being too sure about all these Cameron things but isn't that circle T for Tour use? Or something?

#7 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 06:53 AM

You forgot to paintfill the dot in the 'I' in 'Titleist'.... wink.gif

GOOD i.....or EYE!   Thanks, I cant believe I didnt catch that.  These pics make that marker look big, however it is TINY, so with my old a** eyes, I didnt catch it.  I will dot the eye this afternoon  :drinks:
THANKS!

Edited by Deerslayer, 30 September 2008 - 06:54 AM.

#8 3puttbert

3puttbert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16771

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:31 AM

One of the guys I play with also has one. He used it this weekend and I told him I was going to throw it in the creek next week if I saw it.  He is a good player and a good putter. He used to mark his ball, line the ball to the target and hit it. This weekend he took forever to line the ball line up with the line on the Cameron Ball marker. He made no more putts then usual but instead of taking 30 seconds before a putt he would take what seemed like 2 minutes. It was driving us nuts. He even used it on relative taps in b/c he said he needed to get used to the marker...AAAAHHHH!!! After the round I only half jokingly told him I was throwing in the creek next week if I saw it.

#9 zo0m27

zo0m27

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23577
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:28 AM

View PostDeerslayer, on Sep 29 2008, 07:42 PM, said:

I looked at these on ebay and wasnt about to pay the $75 or more that they are going for, however last week, I looked on the Scotty site and they had them for sale for $44.  I couldnt resist, so I bought one.  I recieved it today and changed the paint fill and did a little custom work on it before I gave it to my son.  They are a pretty cool novelty.  It will be interesting to get his feedback on it after he uses it for a while.  I noticed that they are sold out again, so I may get it back from him if he doesnt like using it.  My son uses the line on his ball only on 3-4 foot putts, so I will be interested in hearing his feedback.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What was your method of getting out the original paint?

...and what kind of paint did you use for the blue?

Just curious, looks great.
Thinking of changing colors on a Select, and you did a fabulous job.
Thanks,
SJD

#10 rick101554

rick101554

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4003

Posted 30 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

what a technological breakthrough!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 SJFP

SJFP

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32053

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:00 AM

On that yellow box it should read "Tools for making me more money".
I generally like most stuff Mr Cameron produces, but this at that price, is a complete rip off.
I really cannot understand how you can justify 80$ for something like that. I bought 5 brand new clubs for less than that today, Cobra Carbon CB's 5-9 iron with DG S300 shafts, Golf Pride V-55 grips still in plastic.

And as 3puttbert said, these things won't help you make more putts, they'll just make you tinker longer when you're putting.
Pick a line, line up the line on the ball. Lining up the line on the ball with the marker is just an extra step which does absolutely nothing.

EDIT: i didn't read your post very well, and thought you had paid 75$. The 44$ still is only 11$ less than what i payed for the Cobra clubs though :drinks:

Edited by SJFP, 30 September 2008 - 09:37 AM.

#12 blkdiamond

blkdiamond

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 44083
  • Ebay ID:joshua_1979

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:28 AM

View Post3puttbert, on Sep 30 2008, 06:31 AM, said:

One of the guys I play with also has one. He used it this weekend and I told him I was going to throw it in the creek next week if I saw it. He is a good player and a good putter. He used to mark his ball, line the ball to the target and hit it. This weekend he took forever to line the ball line up with the line on the Cameron Ball marker. He made no more putts then usual but instead of taking 30 seconds before a putt he would take what seemed like 2 minutes. It was driving us nuts. He even used it on relative taps in b/c he said he needed to get used to the marker...AAAAHHHH!!! After the round I only half jokingly told him I was throwing in the creek next week if I saw it.

The whole idea behind the ball marker was to make it easier and faster to line up putts.  What was the guy you were playing with doing that took so long?  

The steps to use the ball maker is to set the ball marker down behind the ball with the center line pointed in the direction where you initially beleive the ball needs to roll (this should be done rather quickly).  Then read the putt and determine how many "tick-marks" left or right you need to line up the ball based upon the break, then put your ball down in-line with the appropriate tick mark.  The marker should never be adjusted, only the ball.

I was able to use mine for the first time this past weekend and I can say that it didn't help me sink more putts, nor did it really take me any less time (or more time) to line up my putts.  The size isn't a huge issue, I would rather it be a little too big than too small.  

My only complaint is that I was worried about having my $44 ball marker fall out of my pocket.  If I lose a quarter, oh well I have plenty in my bag and I am only out $.25, but if I lose this thing I would be very upset.

BTW, nice job on the paintfill.

#13 Emm

Emm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:31 AM

So does anyone know why it has a circle T thing on it?

#14 blkdiamond

blkdiamond

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:32 AM

View PostEmm, on Sep 30 2008, 08:31 AM, said:

So does anyone know why it has a circle T thing on it?

Marketing.

With Circle T - $44
Without Circle T - $15

JMO

#15 Emm

Emm

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:38 AM

I knew it was something important :drinks:

I thought it was something like tour putter stuff like your avatar in the old days.  Has that emblem or logo got onto a range of Cameron retail goods now?

Nice paint job BTW

#16 jick

jick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1957
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:39 AM

Circle T denotes made for the Tour.  It seems Cameron overestimated the number of pros who would actually switch to the ballmarker, so he ended up having a lot of extras.  He decided to offer then on sale as overruns.  $44 is a good deal for an authentic tour item.  You cannot buy a Circle T putter or Circle T headcover for that price.  It's a bargain!

#17 blkdiamond

blkdiamond

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:41 AM

View Postjick, on Sep 30 2008, 08:39 AM, said:

Circle T denotes made for the Tour. It seems Cameron overestimated the number of pros who would actually switch to the ballmarker, so he ended up having a lot of extras. He decided to offer then on sale as overruns. $44 is a good deal for an authentic tour item. You cannot buy a Circle T putter or Circle T headcover for that price. It's a bargain!

Is this fact or just your opinion?

#18 63Brummie

63Brummie

63Brummie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39171
  • Ebay ID:63brummie
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:48 AM

I think you've all been had....
63Brummie :drinks:
fairways and greens

Edited by 63Brummie, 30 September 2008 - 09:49 AM.

#19 mk920

mk920

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54938
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 30 September 2008 - 09:49 AM

View Postzo0m27, on Sep 30 2008, 09:28 AM, said:

View PostDeerslayer, on Sep 29 2008, 07:42 PM, said:

I looked at these on ebay and wasnt about to pay the $75 or more that they are going for, however last week, I looked on the Scotty site and they had them for sale for $44. I couldnt resist, so I bought one. I recieved it today and changed the paint fill and did a little custom work on it before I gave it to my son. They are a pretty cool novelty. It will be interesting to get his feedback on it after he uses it for a while. I noticed that they are sold out again, so I may get it back from him if he doesnt like using it. My son uses the line on his ball only on 3-4 foot putts, so I will be interested in hearing his feedback.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

What was your method of getting out the original paint?

...and what kind of paint did you use for the blue?

Just curious, looks great.
Thinking of changing colors on a Select, and you did a fabulous job.
Thanks,
SJD
+1 on how you removed the old paint fill and what paint did you use?????

#20 Deerslayer

Deerslayer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,287 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:08 AM

I use Tamiya Acrylic X polymer paints, I remove paints with acetone or fingernail polish remover.  I have other posts that detail "how to"

I did only pay $44 plus shipping for the marker and I wont debate "worth" to anyone, because some things are "worth" alot to some while "worthless" to others.  This was worth fifty bucks to me as a cool novely or conversation piece for my 13yr old son to have.  The concept is pretty cool.  He only uses the line on his ball on 3-4 footers so we will see.  If it takes other competitors mind off their own business in tournaments as much as some on this site..............it is worth every penny.........errr DOLLAR!

Edited by Deerslayer, 30 September 2008 - 10:20 AM.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#21 toddnt

toddnt

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
GolfWRX Likes : 739

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:17 AM

Place the marker in a zip lock back with acetone and make sure its covered. Leave for about 20-30 minutes and scrub with toothbrush and youre fine. Testors make a great enamel paint. Use a very fine brush or toothpick to paintfill!

#22 mk920

mk920

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 314 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54938
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:19 AM

Sweet.... thanx.

#23 Bomb and Gouge

Bomb and Gouge

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24572
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 30 September 2008 - 10:52 AM

My new ball marker....edible and cheap:

Posted Image

#24 onehitah

onehitah

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 162 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59250

Posted 30 September 2008 - 12:21 PM

View Postblkdiamond, on Sep 30 2008, 07:41 AM, said:

Circle T denotes made for the Tour. It seems Cameron overestimated the number of pros who would actually switch to the ballmarker, so he ended up having a lot of extras. He decided to offer then on sale as overruns. $44 is a good deal for an authentic tour item. You cannot buy a Circle T putter or Circle T headcover for that price. It's a bargain!

I was wondering the same.

^^Damn I want that oreo.

Edited by onehitah, 30 September 2008 - 12:22 PM.

#25 schmatt

schmatt

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 466 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57411
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 30 September 2008 - 01:32 PM

View Postblkdiamond, on Sep 30 2008, 09:28 AM, said:

The whole idea behind the ball marker was to make it easier and faster to line up putts.  What was the guy you were playing with doing that took so long?  

The steps to use the ball maker is to set the ball marker down behind the ball with the center line pointed in the direction where you initially beleive the ball needs to roll (this should be done rather quickly).  Then read the putt and determine how many "tick-marks" left or right you need to line up the ball based upon the break, then put your ball down in-line with the appropriate tick mark.  The marker should never be adjusted, only the ball.

I'm still not sure what the point of this tool is?  I could see this as a great practice aid with feedback on your reads, but not for use in a round.

Using an Oreo cookie is a great idea.  I'm going to start using that.  I'll have to bring a whole bag with me though.  I don't think one would last long enough for me to use without backups.

#26 3puttbert

3puttbert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16771

Posted 30 September 2008 - 02:23 PM

I have no idea how you are "supposed to use" a Cameron Ball marker and if my friend followed directions or not. What I do know is that the numb nuts would mark the ball with it first. then when it was his time to putt he would place the ball down then adjust the Marker to the target then he would adjust the ball. He just seemed to take forever in my opinion. I just think that it took him more time then normal and he seemed to fall in love with the whole process of doing it.

#27 blkdiamond

blkdiamond

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts
  •  

Posted 30 September 2008 - 04:55 PM

View Post3puttbert, on Sep 30 2008, 01:23 PM, said:

I have no idea how you are "supposed to use" a Cameron Ball marker and if my friend followed directions or not. What I do know is that the numb nuts would mark the ball with it first. then when it was his time to putt he would place the ball down then adjust the Marker to the target then he would adjust the ball. He just seemed to take forever in my opinion. I just think that it took him more time then normal and he seemed to fall in love with the whole process of doing it.

There is the problem right there.  There is a video on scottycameron.com explaining how to use the ball marker properly and it states that you are not supposed to move the marker, adjust the alignment of the ball using the tick marks on the marker.  I can see how moving the marker, then moving the ball takes a lot of unnecessary time, but if the marker is used as designed it shouldn't take any more time than it does to align a golf ball using the line on the ball.

#28 jick

jick

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1957
GolfWRX Likes : 46

Posted 30 September 2008 - 07:13 PM

View Postblkdiamond, on Sep 30 2008, 10:41 PM, said:

That statement was just meant as a joke. I am sorry if I confused you into thinking it is fact, it doesn't seem other people got the same confusion.

#29 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 01 October 2008 - 07:46 PM

View Postblkdiamond, on Oct 1 2008, 05:55 AM, said:

View Post3puttbert, on Sep 30 2008, 01:23 PM, said:

There is the problem right there.  There is a video on scottycameron.com explaining how to use the ball marker properly and it states that you are not supposed to move the marker, adjust the alignment of the ball using the tick marks on the marker.  I can see how moving the marker, then moving the ball takes a lot of unnecessary time, but if the marker is used as designed it shouldn't take any more time than it does to align a golf ball using the line on the ball.

Yes but IMHO the Scotty Cameron way just transfers the aligning the marker part to before you putt/to when you initially mark the ball. That way still eats into the playing time of your foursome. Nobody else can putt while you are trying to initially mark your ball to the correct line.

Intsead of just plopping down your marker when you first get on the green you will be hunched over trying to read the putt even before you mark it.

#30 hollabachgt

hollabachgt

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38283
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 242

Posted 01 October 2008 - 09:14 PM

When these first came up around the PGA Championship I thought it was a cool idea and decided to make my own. Oddly enough, this concept was something I worked with while still in school, but that was a much more high-tech solution to reading greens. I've picked these up 2 weeks ago and have not had the chance to test them out, but two of them will be put into tournament play this weekend, nothing like trial by fire.
[attachment=304407:IMG00034.jpg]
[attachment=304408:IMG00035.jpg]

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors