Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Swinging Past Parallel

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 huskersnebraska

huskersnebraska

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5550
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:20 AM

What is the best way to teach a fellow golfer how NOT to swing past parallel?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Ogriv83

Ogriv83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102560

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:25 AM

The best thing i have found is from Slicefixer, who says that the arms only swing as far as the body turns.

Once the body stops rotating on the backswing then the arms stop swinging. It feels very short but you will achieve much better results.

Keep it all in synch.

This bit of advice by Slice has helped me more than anything else

#3 huskersnebraska

huskersnebraska

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:43 AM

The problem that he has is that he hooks the ball or kills it and hits a draw.

#4 heisagoalie

heisagoalie

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 55597
GolfWRX Likes : 17

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:44 AM

+1 to above poster. You don't need to go to parallel to have the "perfect" swing. Look at JB Holmes driver video on you tube - he doesn't even get close to parallel, but of course, smacks it a mile. Solid contact and keeping the arms in sync with the body is more important.

#5 aviator

aviator

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4737
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 September 2008 - 10:59 AM

I TOTALLY understand this problem, fight it like crazy!  The best thing I have found is this, put a glove or towel under your RIGHT armpit and hold it against the side of your chest.  If you do that, it's impossible to take the club past parallel. It will fell very restricted, but it works.  It's easy to say, just swing 3/4 or 1/2, but what "feels" right is usually totally different.  Hit a bunch of balls that way and see how that works for you.

#6 huskersnebraska

huskersnebraska

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

I will try to implement this with him. He is a very good golfer at +2, even better if he could get rid of this shot. :rolleyes:

#7 keygolf

keygolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64061
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:06 PM

This is one of those golf issues that is subject to both manual (mechanical) and mental (conscious and non-conscious thought process, behavior style, and physical size, shape and flexibility. Because it seems simple ("just stop it" or "do it differently"), we often miss the complexity it holds for the game. We'd all like it to be easy to attend to, and that may be more the case once it is understood.

The problem here is we don't know which part of the matter to start with unless we have enough information. I'm not interested in putting a damper on the discussion or the search here, but we can all offer clues, while you sound as though you want to find a solution.

So do you think the problem for your friend starts with a mechanical issue or a mental one?  Then see if this player typically over-swings or is it just with the driver? There are two prominent ways golfers can have a "wreck" with the swing. One is either to over-extend their natural tendency or restrict it, and the other is to try to perform using style traits that are not on their natural lists. (The latter will take a bit of estimating unless there is access to relaible means to verify what is going on, usually done through profiling).

An over-extended style will typically feed over-swinging, swaying, turning too rapidly through shots, sharp hooks, and erratic meeting between the club face and the ball (fat, thin, heel and toe). Restricting style will show up in deceleraring the swing and putting stroke, stiffness in body rotation, swings that appear to be "punched," and leaving weight on the right side (the latter being one of the concerns that appears to have got the whole "Stack and Tilt" deal going).

This may all sound too complicated for some (or many), so where anyone goes with it depends on what their goals are along with any potential willingness to make "the whole trip."

That's all collected out of my last 30 years working with players at all levels.

Good hunting and finding.

#8 huskersnebraska

huskersnebraska

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 12:11 PM

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. This player typically doesn't go past parallel on the irons, but the woods yes. I think this stems from trying to get the extra few yards trying to kill it causing the right shoulder to come over the top and hit the dreaded hook.

#9 keygolf

keygolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 02:55 PM

huskersnebraska, on Sep 17 2008, 12:11 PM, said:

Thank you for your thoughts and ideas. This player typically doesn't go past parallel on the irons, but the woods yes. I think this stems from trying to get the extra few yards trying to kill it causing the right shoulder to come over the top and hit the dreaded hook.
That being the case, try this: Ask him, in a practice session when you can be there observing, to hit a few iron shots, and then follow that with the driver. Instruct him to make the swing at "75 - 80%" of his usual swing. When that is in his mind, what you should see is 100%, but not the 110-120% he may have been forcing into the picture. If that doesn't do it, post a note here since there are some additional ways to go.

It's not unusal for a player to grab a driver and the non-conscious says "blast" it, even though consciously that may not be the case. In such situations, it's cardinal - the non-conscious will rule, unless you have way to block it.

#10 pingeye

pingeye

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 593 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2532
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:30 PM

I stopped swinging past parallel with age  :rolleyes:

Ping G25 9.5 PF V2 S
Ping G20 3W TFC Tour S
Ping I15 Hybrid 23 TFC S
Ping Eye2 +no+ 3-S zz65
Ping XG Lob KBS tour S
Ping Redwood Anser (Black)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 SpeedyPro

SpeedyPro

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40318
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:36 PM

pingeye, on Sep 17 2008, 04:30 PM, said:

I stopped swinging past parallel with age :rolleyes:

Improvement does take time, doesn't it? :beee:

#12 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 17 September 2008 - 03:59 PM

I'd be very careful about messin' with a +2 hcp. regarding past parallel.  There are many potential causes of past parallel.  I've posted on this several times.  The key is finding what his root causes are and addressing them if that's needed.  One potential cause is a very large shoulder turn (110 + deg.), which is not a fault/flaw as long as he has a good pivot, isn't overrotating his pelvis and has his arms in synch with his turn.  So if that's the only thing he's doing (very flexible, large shoulder turn) that's causing him to cross the line don't mess with it.   But, since you say he's hitting hooks, his armswing is probably too long and out of synch with his body turn.  That's probably causing him to actively pull his arms down to get them back in synch at the start of the downswing.  If the arms get too far ahead - hook, too far behind - push (of course both can be "saved" with hand manipulation).  Lot's (I mean thousands) of Slicefixer style "9 to 3" drill swings (with short clubs) will fix that problem.

#13 aviator

aviator

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 642 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 4737
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:44 PM

hoganfan924, on Sep 17 2008, 02:59 PM, said:

I'd be very careful about messin' with a +2 hcp. regarding past parallel.  There are many potential causes of past parallel.  I've posted on this several times.  The key is finding what his root causes are and addressing them if that's needed.  One potential cause is a very large shoulder turn (110 + deg.), which is not a fault/flaw as long as he has a good pivot, isn't overrotating his pelvis and has his arms in synch with his turn.  So if that's the only thing he's doing (very flexible, large shoulder turn) that's causing him to cross the line don't mess with it.   But, since you say he's hitting hooks, his armswing is probably too long and out of synch with his body turn.  That's probably causing him to actively pull his arms down to get them back in synch at the start of the downswing.  If the arms get too far ahead - hook, too far behind - push (of course both can be "saved" with hand manipulation).  Lot's (I mean thousands) of Slicefixer style "9 to 3" drill swings (with short clubs) will fix that problem.
Well said!  I struggle with overswinging due to too much flexibility.  Past 90* shoulder turn is very easy for me.   The 9-3 drill works wonders for me, as does the glove under the armpit thing.   Connection is the key for me, but I still have to work HARD on that all of the time.

#14 huskersnebraska

huskersnebraska

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 05:02 PM

Thank you for your help. Where can I find more information on this 9-3 drill?

#15 keygolf

keygolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:09 PM

huskersnebraska, on Sep 17 2008, 05:02 PM, said:

It's a half swing, from parallel to the ground back, to parallel to the ground forward. It is fondly referred to by some as the "drill from h3ll." Email the instructor (below) in Phoenix. He's the best with it I've ever seen in 30 years. He will fill you in. Give him my handle "keygolf."

SAMSINGJCDA@MSN.COM

Best for the game.

Edited by keygolf, 17 September 2008 - 08:11 PM.

#16 huskersnebraska

huskersnebraska

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:22 PM

thank you for the input. I have contacted him which I'm hoping to hear back from him.

#17 hoganfan924

hoganfan924

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,854 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24689
GolfWRX Likes : 287

Posted 17 September 2008 - 08:27 PM

huskersnebraska, on Sep 17 2008, 06:02 PM, said:

There's an entire thread (with youtube video) devoted to this drill in this forum.  Look above, it's tagged as an important thread.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors