Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 1 votes

RARE TITLEIST CUSTOM GRIND IRON'S

281 replies to this topic

#1 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1186
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 13 February 2006 - 05:13 AM

Hi Guy's
I have alway's had a soft spot for Titleist Custom Grind Tour Iron's. I have a small collection of 3 sets
one is Steve elkingtons own Iron's 2-pw with a larger muscle back very similar to the 681 iron's.
The next set is a set of 2-pw Curtis Strange Grinds which are much thinner top line not as much muscle as the Elk grind's and a rounder toe line.
The third set are 681 irons 3-pw with a squarer toe and look very similar to the Elk grind's.
So do any of you have custom Grind Either Custom Grind or 681 model and if so what grind are they and add your picture's here.
Thanks guy's and Gal's
Best wishes
Addam smith

Attached Images

• golf_002.jpg
  • golf_008.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 InTheHole!

InTheHole!

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 1,334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284

Posted 13 February 2006 - 07:51 AM

Quite a collection there Adam - thanks for the pics -- those look like serious playa's clubs.

#3 TourPro21

TourPro21

PGA Apprentice

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 343
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:12 AM

awesome sets! how did you acquire all of those???

#4 Asleep

Asleep

• Marshals
  • 8,495 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 397

Posted 13 February 2006 - 11:20 AM

Those fat-back Titty's are schweet. :D
Treating others the way you want to be treated is the key component to preservation of our goals.

#5 TeeBonZ

TeeBonZ

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 944
GolfWRX Likes : 36

Posted 13 February 2006 - 03:58 PM

Very nice.  I always like the look of the old Tour Model heads.  Had a couple of sets of the later '90's models before the 681's .  Thanks for the pics.

#6 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 13 February 2006 - 04:42 PM

Hi Guy's
TourPro21 To anwser your question, The Elk set came as a gift through Robert Elkington (steves Brother) who is a good friend of mine here in australia as a gift from Steve, the clubs where used by Steve during the 97 session when he wone twice I think.
The Curtis Srange club's came from a collector in the States and was a present from my wife for my 40th birthday a few years back (man am I old)
The third set I got through Titleist here in australia as I am a contracted player here a few year's back. I still use the grinds from time to time and really feel that the metal's are much harder than todays Titleist and the Chrome is much better then, than it is today. Even the face wear grooves are much longer lasting. My 680's have so many dings and bag slap in them and the 681 still look like new. Please feel free to add your pictures of you custom grinds here. Does anyone know what company did the Custom Grinds for Titleist? Was it Hoffman, endo , muira or some little backyard fordger in china? Can anyone let me know.
Best wishes
Addam

#7 bjackson

bjackson

Win The Day

• Marshals
  • 4,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8942

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:35 PM

pretty irons. :D

#8 JHR

JHR

Major Winner

• Marshals
  • 3,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1089

Posted 13 February 2006 - 10:38 PM

Very nice stuff Addam, i always appreciate the Titleist equipment you have.

#9 sandy

sandy

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,299 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2351
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 14 February 2006 - 12:50 PM

The old tour heads like the 1997 models were great looking heads except for the 9-P wedge.  Boy they had some strange looking sizes and sole widths in those.  They almost looked like one of those browning 880 irons.  Of course in the same time frame the japanese were building beautiful forged iron sets as well until you got to the 8-P which were HUGE and had a ton of offset ala eye 2s while the rest of the set had no offset.  That was the only thing that bothered me about my bullet backs, 1997 tour models, first 841 design was the odd sized wedges.  At the same time they were producing the forged wedge sets DL III, CS, DD, BF etc... which looked perfectly normal.

#10 Puttersammler

Puttersammler

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6934

Posted 14 February 2006 - 04:55 PM

I really like your 970 fairway wood in the background but the irons are very cool as well! Did you put a Aldila NV shaft in it?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 pegleg

pegleg

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2585
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 14 February 2006 - 09:39 PM

I have a very rare one for you. I contacted Titleist about it, and they told me it's a very limited run, hand ground to a larger extent than the other Tour Models. I've only seen this single 1 iron, never a set anywhere (eBay, Golfworks books, etc).

I collect Titleist forgings, and I have a set of pretty much every iron they made from the beginning until the 681s. I'm missing a few of the newer sets, and the X/500 Miuras.

Sandy's right about the short irons, many of the sets have very odd looking 9s and PWs. The 86-90 "bullet backs" are actually some of the better ones! The 841s are bizzare. The oldest ones, like the Finalist and the Titleist by Acushnet (70-78, and 69-71 respectively) have VERY square heels.

Are both those sets from the 91-97 forging? The one PW with lots of writing on the sole - that's unusual stamping for that head, isn't it? Very cool.

#12 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 15 February 2006 - 03:05 AM

Thanks guys for your comment's, puttersammler I have 3 970 15 that one is the one I play the most I have had it for about 2 years with a proto aldila x flex shaft. I love the Elks the most because most of the customs I have owned are like you guys say ugly in the 9-pw but the elk's are rounder and look more like a 7 iron in the set.
addam

#13 Gallery_plowshare_*

Gallery_plowshare_*
  • Guests
  •  
  • Member #: 0
GolfWRX Likes :

Posted 04 December 2006 - 06:59 PM

I have a set of Custom Grinds. They look different from Marshalls set in the bag that is shown in this thread. Please let me know if you want to see pics. They are 1-pw with Dynamic Gold X-500 shafts. With that shaft, I am assuming they were made for a pro, maybe used on tour? The serial number 77955 on all hosels. Nice set!

#14 procombo

procombo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 40268

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:24 AM

Hi all,

Im new to the forum and came here looking for some more info on Titleist custom Grind irons. I recently bought a set. Maybe you guys can tell me something more about them? Hope you can help. The have a finish that will patina over time.

Grtz Marco

Attached Images

• 16f2_12.jpg
  • 8868_12.jpg
  • 1830_12.jpg

#15 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 02 October 2007 - 07:04 PM

Hi Procombo and welcome to Golfwrx,
I have seen a few of these around and from what I know Titleist made some blank back set's for pro's. So with Titleist Custom Grinds the idea was you could order them how you wanted to. If the Serial numbers are on the hosel or ferrul you may be able to find out more about them. These ones of yours are rare and If you ever want to sell them let me know.
There was a set of Custom grinds on ebay just last week that where the Tiger MP29 grind type and the starting bid was $1450.00
I have seen a set for Peter Jackobsen the same as these ones though.
The satin finish is not that common on the Custom grind version but more common on my ones pictured below.
Here are another set of mine, very rare satin 681 custom grinds were supposed to be for Mark O'meara. But it is hard to find out much and titleist are hard to find out much from anyway. I have sent over 10 emails to them with no replies when it comes to getting anwers regarding tour issue clubs.
Anyway you have a great set there and I hope you are going to use them.
I hope I have helped in some way and I will try to find out some more info for you.
PS
I am still looking for a set of ELK grinds to Buy if anyone has a set they want to sell.
Best wishes
Addam smith

Attached Thumbnails

• satin_681_4.jpg

#16 stevenlpn

stevenlpn

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 32978

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:04 PM

I have a set of Tour Model 3-PW that i'm about to put on ebay

#17 procombo

procombo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:24 AM

Hi Addam,

Thanks a lot for your reply. Should I decide to sell them, you'll be the first to know. Promise ;)
However I bought them to play off course, I am not a collector just a die hard golf addict with a love for gr8 looking blades. If you can dig up any other info that would be awsome. Titleist in the Netherlands is trying hard but not very succesfull about diggin up info on custom grind clubs.
Another pic below, maybe it helps narrowing down the type of club they are based on. Keep in mind that the set is nearly new, just a few balls have been hit with them and have the SL x100 shaft in them. Tipped between S en X stiffness. So could it be that they are based on an older model but newly made?

Hope this helps!

Attached Images

• 2578_12.jpg

#18 Shaitan

Shaitan

Major Winner

• Jr. Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,806 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23877
  • Ebay ID:1758jo
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 03 October 2007 - 04:08 AM

Those look perdy procombo, but Mark O'Meara's 681's overule everything I've seen in this post. To me, that is almost a perfect looking blade. I've met Mark o'Meara's caddy, that's about all I can say about him, but those are unbelievable. Wish his caddy had an extra set ;)

#19 Judge Smails

Judge Smails

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,023 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114193
  • Handicap:5.6
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:28 PM

Funny, I saw that pricey set of mp-29 lookalike Titleist blades on ebay the other day too.  The funny thing is, if I recall correctly, Tiger's Titleist blades did not actually look like that.  Sure, he used the MP29 long irons originally with the cut away style muscle in the back,  but I really don't think his Titleist sets ever had this.  Maybe someone can set me straight, but I think that person just threw that in the listing as a marketing mechanism.
910 D3 10.5 GD Tour AD DI 7x
Ping G5 15* PM902 Proto; VR Ltd 19* 8X
Adams A12 20* VTS 85HX
Nike VR Pro CB x100 s-step, VR 48*
Nike VR Raw 50* 54* Fourteen RM Proto
Odyssey White Damascus 330M 34.5"

#20 procombo

procombo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 03:38 PM

Yea I saw them too, but they are gone now. Did anyone save the pictures from that auction?
BTW, Pegleg and I are a small step further in identifying my new set. Strangly enough the looks are like the 91-97 tour model but the lofts are similar to the 695MB and the lie is like the 680 irons. Hmnn strange… Keep you posted.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:27 PM

Hi Judge
That was the best thing about custom grinds, they could be set up with leading edge, bounce,muscle shape,toe shape, lie,loft to suit the player.
Here are some pics of that one that was on ebay.
They where a custom set for some tour player and not for tiger. The guy called them tiger grinds because they are a very rare custom order and looked like MP 29's. If you look on the hosel you can see the number 87 which means that is the grind style, This way if you ordered a set you could just quote the number and Titleist would make it to that same shape every time.
To give you some idea the Elk model are really fat more like my satin 681 cusoms and the Curtis Strange set are really thin from above looking down from above.
I will post the optins list for Custom grinds here when I find the details on my computer. It has every option Titleist offered on the Custom Model.
Below are some pics of the set that was on ebay.
Addam

Attached Images

• TigerIrons3__Small_.jpg
  • TigerIrons4__Small_.jpg
  • TigerIrons10__Small_.jpg
  • TigerIrons11__Small_.jpg

#22 procombo

procombo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2007 - 05:51 AM

Addam,

Just spotted these on ebay, maybe interesting for your little collection?

http://cgi.ebay.com/...I...e=WDVW&rd=1

Grtz Marco

#23 SlaminSam

SlaminSam

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 59 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 6138

Posted 08 October 2007 - 08:20 AM

Addam,

I would be interested in knowing what the numbers mean as far as grinds go. I have a set and Titlesit can not tell me anything about the grind numbers.

Thanks,
Sam

Edited by SlaminSam, 08 October 2007 - 08:20 AM.

#24 procombo

procombo

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:06 PM

Hi All,

Just figured out that my irons have the Number 34 grind on them. Is there anybody who can tell me more about this type of grinding?

Thanks, Marco

#25 dac

dac

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15561
GolfWRX Likes : 55

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:11 AM

View Postpegleg, on Feb 14 2006, 07:39 PM, said:

I have a very rare one for you. I contacted Titleist about it, and they told me it's a very limited run, hand ground to a larger extent than the other Tour Models. I've only seen this single 1 iron, never a set anywhere (eBay, Golfworks books, etc).

I collect Titleist forgings, and I have a set of pretty much every iron they made from the beginning until the 681s. I'm missing a few of the newer sets, and the X/500 Miuras.

Sandy's right about the short irons, many of the sets have very odd looking 9s and PWs. The 86-90 "bullet backs" are actually some of the better ones! The 841s are bizzare. The oldest ones, like the Finalist and the Titleist by Acushnet (70-78, and 69-71 respectively) have VERY square heels.

Are both those sets from the 91-97 forging? The one PW with lots of writing on the sole - that's unusual stamping for that head, isn't it? Very cool.

that's a great looking iron right there!!!

#26 andersgr

andersgr

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 41024

Posted 19 October 2007 - 08:18 PM

Addam-

I am so glad I found this site.  I have a set of custom grinds exactly like the ones in your top picture dated Feb. 8, 2006.  I bought them about 10 years ago (maybe more) from a used sports shop for about $100.  Every now and again I try to find out more info on them, but never learned anything.....until now!  

I  play with them  once in a while, but my game is not where it needs to be to play with them on a regular basis.  I actually just have the 8-PW in the bag right now to go along with my Titleist 991's.

The hossel on them has the number 50 stamped on.   So, my questions are....what are they?  I assume they were made in the late 80's.  You mentioned the Elk model and a few others.  Are they rare?  Valuable?  Should I stop playing with them?

Thanks!!  -Greg

#27 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:21 AM

Hi Guy's
I have been able to find out a fair bit on the numbers regard the type of grind the are on the hosel of Titleist custom Grinds.
My one on the Elk's are 3-9 #15 then #16 on the PW Elk Grind
My other set is #38 Curtis Strange Grind
Procombo's number is #34
andersgr's number is #50

Guy's If you own some Custom Grinds Please take some pics and the number of the model you have and I will find out the grid.

Now Titleist had these numbers on file to represent there tour player's prefered Grind.
I have a good friend sourcing the number against the grind and a list of Titleist tour players prefered grind numbers of the late 1990's coming.
So Say the Elk's will read
Custom Grinds:
High Toe (more peak)
Square Toe
Standard Leading Edge Profile (slight belly)
Standard Sole (slight camber) w/Rolled Heel
Sharp Leading Edge (less entry angle)
Flat Topline (rolled towards face)
I hope to have a number and a wider discription of the model you own very soon.
Below is a few of the Elks I have from different angles (older photos)

Attached Images

• post_11_1117593177__Small_.jpg
  • post_11_1117593219__Small_.jpg
  • post_11_1117593228.jpg
  • post_29_1134910101.jpg
  • post_1186_1149112000__Small_.jpg

#28 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:27 AM

Here are a few older ones of the Curtis Grind #38
2-pw
Very thin Top Line on these ones

Attached Images

• golf_008__Small_.jpg
  • golf_009__Small_.jpg

#29 addamsmith

addamsmith

Tour Winner

• Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts
  •  

Posted 07 November 2007 - 07:36 AM

These where Elks from Many years ago I got from a guy in Nowra NSW Australia, They are original Tour model's. He got them back in 94. they are a raw finnish. By the unfinnished look and no chrome or any cover on them they feel so soft to hit. Also I have to keep rubbing back with scotch brite scrubber or they look like a Raw vokey in a few week's. ha ha

Attached Images

• clubs_for_sale_005__Small_.jpg
  • clubs_for_sale_003__Small_.jpg

#30 cambo3295

cambo3295

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10832
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 07 November 2007 - 08:07 AM

Addam,

awesome posts and pics as usual!  Always love to see those!

Iain

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors