Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Help me find a low ball flight/low spin driver

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 goonsquad

goonsquad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64738
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:49 PM

figured id ask here since there seem to be a lot of club ho's :P

i cant hit my driver anywhere. im currently usin a taylor made 320 10.5 degree loft with a stock R flex shaft that i got for free. the ball goes way too high and will literally stop in mid air and spin sideways. im hitting it maybe 200 yds. now im a pretty good ball striker with irons and 5 wood (7 iron goes 150, about 15 yds in between clubs). shoot low 40s on 9 but dont play very often and am leaving a lot of shots out there....could be lower.

before i had an integra S450 9 degree that i could hit around 250 until the shaft snapped in half on a tee shot. even while i was gettin a lot better distance than i am now, i still felt i could hit it further.

im thinkin the problem could be that i need a stiff flex. never had my swing speed measured but id say i have a pretty fast swing. same way ive always been swingin and no matter what i cant hit my driver anywhere and it just stops and spins sideways.

id like to find a deal on ebay but if there are some good OEM deals i could find online or at golf galaxy

couple im lookin at:

Maltby CT250
Tour Edge Exotics XCG
Srixon Z-RW/XXIO/???
Bridgestone J33R

ive also heard the taylor made tour burner tp is a very low spin head but i dont have $300 to spend and want to customize the shaft

now it seems that a lot of the newer drivers out set up with a slightly closed face. i want a completely square face, im not interested in hooking the ball. also want one that has a clean traditional look & setup.......no square drivers i.e. the nike sasquatch and callaway ft

for shafts ive heard lots of good things about the V2 but understand it plays stiffer. what about  matrix, accuflex, graphite designs?  what do i need to look for in a shaft for lower ball flight?

Edited by MrParr1Noid, 10 September 2008 - 10:27 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 shallowdivots

shallowdivots

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 36514
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:57 PM

I would also take a look at the Adams XTD.

#3 chrisfx811

chrisfx811

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 865 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 19101
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:04 PM

Idk the loft on your 7i, but a 150 7i isn't so far that you need a low spin, low launch driver head.  Maybe get fit by someone who can also assess your swing and give you some tips as to why you're losing distance.

#4 jcrew

jcrew

Advanced

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38247
  • Ebay ID:none

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:12 PM

View Postjoe68odessa, on Sep 1 2008, 10:09 PM, said:

the Graphite Design YS-6+ stiff graphite shaftis a low trajectory shaft. i had to switch mine out because it hit the ball to low for me.
huh!?
The ys-6+ is a relatively high spin high launch shaft.
ys-7 should be more his style.

#5 drew123

drew123

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8183

Posted 01 September 2008 - 09:50 PM

the ys-6 is definitely not a low spin shaft.  Also if he is playing a regular flex when he needs a stiff that could contribute to the high spin issues.

Nike VR Tour 8.5
Nike VR LTD 15 & 19
Titleist 712MB 3-PW
Nike VR forged 54 & 60
Scotty Studio Style Newport 1.5

#6 beachgrovejunior

beachgrovejunior

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,375 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24446
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:19 PM

View Postjoe68odessa, on Sep 1 2008, 08:02 PM, said:

i never said it was a low spin shaft. i said it was a low trajectory shaft (for me anyways). i couldnt get the damn ball higher than 20 feet off the ground with that shaft for some reason. and i am a high ball hitter! although this is what i read about the shaft online:

"The Graphite Design YS-6+ is considered by many to be the best feeling shaft in golf. It features a mid kick point for a standard trajectory and is one of the more popular choices for manufacturer's upgrade shaft options"

I couldnt even get a standard trajectory out of that thing. It was really frustrating. So I finally got rid of it.

Means it was too stiff for you, that thing hits moonballs for most people.

OP, you dont need a really low spin setup with 150 seven iron, you need spin with that clubhead speed to keep the ball in the air

#7 kzgman

kzgman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64223
  • Ebay ID:kzgman

Posted 01 September 2008 - 11:48 PM

Go with a high kick point shaft to get your trajectory down. Graffaloy Blue or Prolaunch Red are both solid choices and are sold at very reasonable prices.

Get fitted before you buy one though, because you have absolutely no idea what flex you need. I have a 110mph swing speed and have use a reg flex shaft in my driver because I have a quick release point. Release point is the most important thing to measure when it comes to flex requirements. Also, most "clubfitters" at your generic golf shop are not qualified enough to know how to measure for this swing characteristic or even know about it, and therefore are not qualified to choose your flex. Find a master club fitter. Since I'm not allowed to tell you on here where to go to find one, you can email me at robbyhuband@yahoo.com to find out.

What I use:
Driver: 9.5* Taylormade Burner w/ Reg flex Fuji Speeder 553 shaft
Hybrid: 17* PRGR 200i 2 iron w/ PRGR M45 100mph shaft
Irons: KZG Forged Blades 3(21*)-PW(47*) w/ TT DG S300 Sensicore shafts
Wedges: Mizuno MP Series 52* w/ Rifle 5.5 shaft, Mizuno MP R Series 56* w/ DG wedge shaft, Nike Forged 60* lob wedge w/ DG wedge shaft
Putter: KZG Forged Blade
Balls: Nike ONE BLACK, Bridgestone Tour B330, Taylormade TP BLACK LDP, Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Ogio Fire Red Octane stand bag

#8 goonsquad

goonsquad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64738

Posted 10 September 2008 - 09:56 PM

this is ridiculous........what the heck is goin on. i played on sunday and pretty much every shot, ball just starts out like its goin and then boom stops in mid air and spins sideways. what could this be? the only guess i can make is the shaft.  

ive lost distance in all my clubs but its most noticeable with the driver. i definitely need somethin that keeps the ball down, when i played my old driver i hit it a lot better and it was a 9 degree loft. im not tiger woods but i could hit my driver a decent distance before and think i have a pretty good golf swing.

does anyone here play components? i was considerin the maltby and it would be easier to customize the shaft (which im told is the most important thing in a club).

theres also the mactec drivers which seem to be on ebay but stock shafts. whats the fuji quadra action shaft like?

i dont know where i can get my swing  analyzed and fitted....thats gonna be kinda difficult

also lookin at the cobra l4v and nickent 4dx

Edited by goonsquad, 10 September 2008 - 10:27 PM.

#9 bovi

bovi

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53924

Posted 10 September 2008 - 11:06 PM

i think a swing analysis + shaft fitting + demo-ing clubs at the range is needed. demo-ing clubs might be the quickest way. try anything different from your current driver with regards to shaft + face angle.

strange that you are side spinning your driver only. if the rest of your clubs are stiff, certainly R isn't for you but flex doesn't affect ball flight (your balloning) that much from S to R, only kickpoint. to me side spinning usually is caused by our swing not the club. a straight ball that spins to the right after apex is a great shot as long as its not a slice (if you can lower the trajectory) and i think is caused by club moving inside with face remaining square or minutely open past impact (not flipping). which could mean experimenting with a different ball position or tee-up height could be the solution.

The shaft flex might be an issue if the shaft doesn't match how you release the club coming into impact (late or hold-off) - not so much your speed in general.

how about your 3 wood off the tee? if no problem there then copy the specs.

Using a process of elimination, i'm sure you can dial in the problem. i bet it'll be fun :good: i just don't think rushing off to buy a new driver is the solution

Edited by bovi, 10 September 2008 - 11:11 PM.

#10 geeza_1

geeza_1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,192 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8127
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:11 AM

Please please please just go for a driver fitting session. Even if you don't buy a driver, it shouldn't be too expensive. It really is worth it, as it takes a lot of the guesswork out.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Pinchaser

Pinchaser

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 175 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64689

Posted 12 September 2008 - 05:11 AM

this is ridiculous........what the heck is goin on. i played on sunday and pretty much every shot, ball just starts out like its goin and then boom stops in mid air and spins sideways. what could this be? the only guess i can make is the shaft.

ive lost distance in all my clubs but its most noticeable with the driver. i definitely need somethin that keeps the ball down, when i played my old driver i hit it a lot better and it was a 9 degree loft. im not tiger woods but i could hit my driver a decent distance before and think i have a pretty good golf swing.

Seems to me this is a swing fault problem.
First things first, is the ball hooking or slicing? My guess is it is slicing because you
stated you had lost distance with all clubs but mostly with your driver. Without seeing your swing I would say you are cutting across the back of the ball from outside to in. If this is the case a straight faced club like a driver will put a lot more side spin on the ball than a 7 iron.
    Before you go and spend a small fortune on equipment that will not fix the problem,
see a good teaching pro or get a friend to video your swing.

#12 golfhut

golfhut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 10394

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:00 AM

I go along with a lesson first.  You may be doing something different with your setup off the tee with the driver, ball position....who knows.  But before spending money on a shaft or new driver give this a try.  Also, if you decide to demo clubs keep in mind the tolerances of a drivers loft can vary a couple of degrees from one "identical" 9 degree driver of the same model to the next.  (One may actually measure out at 8 degree and the next one good be 9 or 10 degree).You hit a demo you like buy that club, not something else off the rack or internet which has the same loft stamped on it.
Good luck.

#13 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Handicap:8.6
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 72

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:03 AM

If you have the scratch and access to a master clubfitter, go for it....but....

...taking the risk that I will be excommunicated for heresay, if you don't have access or the dollars for a true driver fitting, just find a shop with an outdoor range that will let you hit demo drivers.  There should be adequate selection of heads and shafts and you will probably find one or two that work pretty well for you - at the very least, you should be able to tell if your current driver really is the problem or whether, maybe, your swing is the problem (my money's on the club on this one if you really hit your 7 iron 150 - you should at least be able to hit your driver 235-250).

Don't take this the wrong way, but your level of discussion suggests that you are relatively new to swing, trajectory, and spin discussions.  At this point just hitting enough demo's to find something that works is probably the easiest way to go.
X2Hot 10.5* Reg
Jetspeed 3 wood Reg
Jetspeed 17*, 19*, 25* Reg
Cobra Amp Cell 6-LW Kuro Kage Reg
Nike RZN X or Titleist Velocity
Odyssey White Hot

#14 keiko

keiko

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 235 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 52445

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:18 AM

You are hitting AT the ball and not THROUGH it; stopping or decelerating at impact.
Try placing a tee 6" in front of your ball and focus on hitting the tee after you hit the ball.

View PostPinchaser, on Sep 12 2008, 06:11 AM, said:

Seems to me this is a swing fault problem.
First things first, is the ball hooking or slicing? My guess is it is slicing because you
stated you had lost distance with all clubs but mostly with your driver. Without seeing your swing I would say you are cutting across the back of the ball from outside to in. If this is the case a straight faced club like a driver will put a lot more side spin on the ball than a 7 iron.
Before you go and spend a small fortune on equipment that will not fix the problem,
see a good teaching pro or get a friend to video your swing.

#15 hmx3

hmx3

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,330 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22522
GolfWRX Likes : 31

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:25 AM

Give the Srixon-ZRW a try. Low spinning head and a excellent stock shaft, with high bendpoint-similar NV. IMO one of the best drivers
out there and with all the benefits you´re looking for.

#16 Timmay_MO

Timmay_MO

Advanced

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29675
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:31 AM

I had the same problem.  Get some impact tape and see how much you're missing the center of the clubface. I was cranking 'em off the heel, that causes a ton of spin-drive goes really high and then just falls out of the sky with no roll.

#17 twgolf

twgolf

Major Winner

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25616
  • Ebay ID:twwgolf69
GolfWRX Likes : 68

Posted 12 September 2008 - 08:36 AM

A sudden or recently developed lost in distance with all of your clubs is due to some type of swing flaw that you have developed.  If you just got the driver and it was not performing for you and you were hitting your irons fine, then I would suggest get a driver fitting session to figure out what type of shaft loft of driver would be the best set up for you.  However, due to your second post describing your ball flight you have a swing fault.  Go seek professional help and get you swing fixed and sound before making any club changes.  No driver or iron in the world is going to be the magic fix for a swing fault.  Once you have worked out your swing problems then look at optimizing what driver is going to work best for you.  The cost of a lesson is far less than the cost of a new driver, and you may have a driver that works for you now, you just have to fix your swing problem.  I am a firm believer that it's almost always the indian and not the arrow until you develop a solid repeatable swing, and then you can fine tune the arrows.
Titleist 910D3 9.5 w/Diamana D+ 72s
Titleist 910F 15 w/stock Kai'li 75s
Titleist 910H 19 w/stock Kai'li 80s
Titleist AP2 712 3-W DGS300
Vokey SM4 52-08 & 56-11
Bettinardi BC6 34" 343g

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors