Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

In distance, what Loft in hybrid will equal 4 iron?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 maop99

maop99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35702
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:34 AM

The other day I was hitting my 2H 18* and comparing it to my 3 iron, I think 3 iron is 20*, in the range seems to be just equal? Maybe because of the higher ball flight of the hybrid?

In your experience, what Hybrid would equal the 4 iron or maybe just a little bit longer, maybe 5 yards? I'm afraid if I go 24* I might be shorter than the 4 or if I go 21* it might be too long? or the 24* might be just right and just a little longer than the 4 iron?

I just need some feedback guys, before I go spend on a hybrid only to find out that I bought the wrong club.

Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kzgman

kzgman

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 64223
  • Ebay ID:kzgman

Posted 01 September 2008 - 01:50 AM

4 irons should be 24 degrees, so I would get a 24* if I were you wanting something that compares with a 4 iron. It should be about 5 yards longer because it is a larger head than an iron. I wouldn't worry too much about wasting money because if you don't like it then you can always resell it on ebay.

As far as you hitting the 18* hybrid equal distance as your 21* 3 iron, then the trajectory is most likely the cause. However, if the wind is behind you, then your 18* should go much further becuase it catches the wind.

Feel free to ask me anymore questions.

What I use:
Driver: 9.5* Taylormade Burner w/ Reg flex Fuji Speeder 553 shaft

Hybrid: 17* PRGR 200i 2 iron w/ PRGR M45 100mph shaft
Irons: KZG Forged Blades 3(21*)-PW(47*) w/ TT DG S300 Sensicore shafts
Wedges: Mizuno MP Series 52* w/ Rifle 5.5 shaft, Mizuno MP R Series 56* w/ DG wedge shaft, Nike Forged 60* lob wedge w/ DG wedge shaft
Putter: KZG Forged Blade
Balls: , Nike ONE BLACK, Bridgestone Tour B330, Taylormade TP BLACK LDP, Titleist Pro V1x
Bag: Ogio Fire Red Octane stand bag

#3 maop99

maop99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 06:02 AM

Thanks kzgman. maybe just what I am looking for...but yeah I'm afraid of the trajectory, I'm kind of a high spin player...maybe 22 or 23* will do the trick?

Looking for more feedback from other members...thanks

#4 lebanontngolfer

lebanontngolfer

Fairways and Greens

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46443
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:24 AM

maop99, tell us about your 4 iron... make, length, loft, flex, carry distance, total distance, trajectory.  

What 2H hybrid are you hitting?  Have you tried different shafts to see if you can influence your spin rate and trajectory?

#5 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 01 September 2008 - 07:44 AM

For me, a 24 or 25 hybrid gets 4i distance -- but that answer is rather meaningless. It all depends on the design of the hybrid and the length and quality of the shaft.

Callaway is trending up

#6 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,276 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59182
  • Ebay ID:sl1429
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:10 AM

I went with TM Rescue Draw in 19* & 22* to replace my 3 and 4 iron. Hit them both almost the same or slightly furthur than the irons with a higher trajectory and quicker stopping on the green. Love 'em! The only thing I miss is the ability to hit a low stinger off the tee with the 3 iron on short par fours.

#7 maop99

maop99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 01 September 2008 - 08:38 AM

View Postlebanontngolfer, on Sep 1 2008, 07:24 AM, said:

maop99, tell us about your 4 iron... make, length, loft, flex, carry distance, total distance, trajectory.  

What 2H hybrid are you hitting?  Have you tried different shafts to see if you can influence your spin rate and trajectory?

I was using the Maltby MMB 3 iron 21* with dgs300 soft stepped once vs. wishon 321 18* grafalloy prolite 35 stiff (used in my 3 wood before) standard length, I think trajectory with the 3 iron is more boring and the hybrid a little on the high side.

My guess (since it was just in the range) is that the 3 iron went maybe 195-200 while the hybrid went 200-205 yards. my 5 wood goes about 210....I just have 1 club to put in my bag, so its a choice between 2H, 3H, 4H, 3iron or 4 iron...4iron goes maybe 180-185

1) 3H and 4H this is what I am deciding to purchase
2) or I just keep my 4 iron but I'm thinking there is too much distance between 4 iron and 5 wood,
3) 3 iron is out since I think I won't be able to hit it as consistent (distancewise like a hybrid), especially when it counts...
4) 2H I think will be out too since it is almost as long as my 5wood which I hit more consistently and a little more distance
5) I can go with a loft between the 3H and 4H (21* or 22* hybrid?) or take out my 5 wood and get 2H and 4H?

Sorry for the long reply, I'm really confused

#8 502 to Right

502 to Right

Badds

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,765 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23773
  • Handicap:50.2
GolfWRX Likes : 1123

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:34 AM

The key with hybrids is to actually use them on the course or the range to make sure they actually cover the distance you need covered.  It is near impossible to know with certainty how far they are going to go based on loft, length, shaft material and flex.

I use steel shafts in my hybrids so they more closely match the irons they are replacing.  That way the length is similar so you don't get extra distance because the shaft is longer.  However, even accounting for that I still need to take a hybrid out and see what it actually does in flight.

I'm certain there are lots of people with huge yardage gaps between their 4h and 5i when the loft alone says it should be only about 10 yards different.

Edited by 502 to Right, 01 September 2008 - 10:34 AM.

#9 GaijinGolfer

GaijinGolfer

Makeruna Nippon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 60085
  • Ebay ID:Titleistwi
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 01 September 2008 - 10:56 AM

A 24* hybrid replaces a 4-iron.

#10 ramsey_steve

ramsey_steve

Advanced

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3567
  • Ebay ID:Ramsey_Steve

Posted 01 September 2008 - 05:57 PM

View Post502 to Right, on Sep 1 2008, 11:34 AM, said:

The key with hybrids is to actually use them on the course or the range to make sure they actually cover the distance you need covered.  It is near impossible to know with certainty how far they are going to go based on loft, length, shaft material and flex.

I use steel shafts in my hybrids so they more closely match the irons they are replacing.  That way the length is similar so you don't get extra distance because the shaft is longer.  However, even accounting for that I still need to take a hybrid out and see what it actually does in flight.

I'm certain there are lots of people with huge yardage gaps between their 4h and 5i when the loft alone says it should be only about 10 yards different.

Absolutely right, there's no way to know except by trial and error (or demo, ie). My 'so called' 5 iron Srixon hybrid with the same NS Pro shaft as my irons has a carry distance 5 yards longer than my 4 iron with almost identical overall distance. The 3 iron version yields similar distances to a 5 wood.

Bottom line is first find the make/model that you like to look at and hit, and then figure out the loft and shaft length configuration to achieve the desired shot distance.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors