Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

I'm looking to move to Florida

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 56202
GolfWRX Likes : 43

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:07 PM

Hi guys,

I'm so sick of being cooped up in the house during the winter months in upstate NY and I'm looking for a change. Ideally, I'd like to find a place with quality cheap golf and where I'd have some job options.

A bit about me:

I'm 25 with a BS in Economics and obviously a golf nut(like we all are). I'm about a 2 HC right now and would like to set out on a mission to see how good I can get, somewhat like Tom Coyne(paper Tiger) I don't have a ton of money and would like to use what I have to get the most value. I haven't extensively searched apartment prices yet, but found a quite a few in the Ft.Lauderdale area that seemed decent at ~$800/month. My location in FL is totally up in the air at this point though, I'm not commited to any part of FL although the southern part has nicer weather through the winter months. My tenative plan right now is to go down in October. I'm going to start off with a 6mo lease and see how things go from there.

I do have to say one thing. My sister used to live in West Palm and I enjoyed visiting, but a lot of her friends seemed to be the rich types with the million dollar beach houses. I don't tend to mesh well with those prissy types so I'd rather be in a place with more down to earth middle class people like myself.

Things I'm looking for:

1)Cheapish quality golf-I have it good, I can play good quality courses in NY for around $30 right now with coupons. I know this won't be too realistic in FL.
2)Affordable housing
3)Job options-I won't need a job right away, but would like to live in an area with options. Something financially related would be my goal. I'm assuming places like Orlando, Miami and Tampa are probably the best bet but I'm not positive.

I guess that's what I'm looking at right now. The plan is in the early stages and I'm very open to suggestions. Any comments would be helpful.

Thanks

Edited by IM_ALL_IN, 23 August 2008 - 09:09 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 23 August 2008 - 09:45 PM

I live in Orlando and there are a ton of courses in the area in great shape for $40 or less.  Housing is close to what you stated in other parts.  I can't honestly think of anywhere else that has as many good courses for so cheap,  especially if you travel a little outside of the city.

#3 Juan73

Juan73

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14498
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 23 August 2008 - 11:29 PM

I would suggest the Orlando -- Tampa area.

Miami is too crime ridden, cost of living is higher and the weather is too hot and humid in the summer to think about spending much time on the golf course.  

The weather in the Orlando-Tampa area is better, the cost of living is probably more moderate.  Jacksonville is too cold in the winter.

I am a native of Rochester, NY so I understand the weather conditions in upstate NY.. and how they compare to Florida.  And of course I play golf all winter long in Tampa and the surrounding areas.

You can write me through my profile if you want to talk about this more.

Good luck with you final choice and let us know what you decide!!

#4 BILL12x

BILL12x

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28584
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 25 August 2008 - 01:24 PM

Not everybody in West Palm is rich! Trust me!

Quality golf for $25-$30 in the summer, but fees triple in the winter months.

It's a great area for a golfer to be. Cooler than Orlando or west coast of Florida, and less people than Miami. English is our first language here, too. (Sorry if that offends anyone, but I was in Miami Beach recently and couldn't order breakfast in my hotel without pointing at the menu item I wanted).

#5 Ronzo

Ronzo

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47638
  • Location:Deep down in Florida... where the sun shines d*mn near ever day...
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 25 August 2008 - 02:02 PM

View PostBILL12x, on Aug 25 2008, 02:24 PM, said:

The western side of West Palm Beach is cheaper, and more middle class.  You may want to avoid Boca.  Not only are they pretentious, but the developers are running out of nouns to pair with "Boca".  I keep thinking the next development there will be named "Boca Turds".

I don't know your age, but Tamarac, Coconut Creek, and some areas of Sunrise in western Broward County are still relatively inexpensive.  $800 / month is not realistic in Sunrise, but still possible in the other two towns if you look hard enough.

Quality golf for $25-$30 in the summer, but fees tripling in the winter months is the norm here as well.  Good luck!

#6 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:08 PM

View Postmizunofan2, on Aug 23 2008, 10:45 PM, said:

I live in Orlando and there are a ton of courses in the area in great shape for $40 or less. Housing is close to what you stated in other parts. I can't honestly think of anywhere else that has as many good courses for so cheap, especially if you travel a little outside of the city.

Can you rattle off some names so I can do some research?

Are you talking $40 in the summer or would the rates be around that in the winter too?

#7 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:14 PM

View PostJuan73, on Aug 24 2008, 12:29 AM, said:

I would suggest the Orlando -- Tampa area.

Miami is too crime ridden, cost of living is higher and the weather is too hot and humid in the summer to think about spending much time on the golf course.

The weather in the Orlando-Tampa area is better, the cost of living is probably more moderate. Jacksonville is too cold in the winter.

I am a native of Rochester, NY so I understand the weather conditions in upstate NY.. and how they compare to Florida. And of course I play golf all winter long in Tampa and the surrounding areas.

You can write me through my profile if you want to talk about this more.

Good luck with you final choice and let us know what you decide!!

Cool, I'm in Binghamton so the winters probably aren't quite as bad as Rochester(snow wise) but it still gets frigid here. As you know, the summers and early fall are gorgeous in NY but I'm ready to get away from the winter. How log have you been in FL?

Yeah, Miami sounds too expensive, I'd feel out of my element there anyway. I've been researching Tampa and Orlando a bit and that area could very well be a good choice.

Are you a member or do you jump around? How much are rounds at decent course there in the winter? Do they have good practice facilities other than the private clubs? Do places sell range memberships and would you happen to know how much?

Thanks

Edited by IM_ALL_IN, 25 August 2008 - 06:22 PM.

#8 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 06:19 PM

It's a great area for a golfer to be. Cooler than Orlando or west coast of Florida, and less people than Miami. English is our first language here, too. (Sorry if that offends anyone, but I was in Miami Beach recently and couldn't order breakfast in my hotel without pointing at the menu item I wanted).

Cooler in the summer right? It seems that you can always count on SE FL for good weather in the winter wheareas the middle part of the state can get cold. I came down in late Feb one year and had to play in low 50's weather with 30+MPH winds around Sebring FL(1hr south of Orlando). I remember checking the weather and Boca, hollywood etc were nice and toasty.

View PostRonzo, on Aug 25 2008, 03:02 PM, said:

The western side of West Palm Beach is cheaper, and more middle class. You may want to avoid Boca. Not only are they pretentious, but the developers are running out of nouns to pair with "Boca". I keep thinking the next development there will be named "Boca Turds".

I don't know your age, but Tamarac, Coconut Creek, and some areas of Sunrise in western Broward County are still relatively inexpensive. $800 / month is not realistic in Sunrise, but still possible in the other two towns if you look hard enough.

Quality golf for $25-$30 in the summer, but fees tripling in the winter months is the norm here as well. Good luck!

Yeah, Boca always seemed ritzy to me. Beautiful place to visit(as I remember) but not a place where I want to live just yet. $90 green fees will seriously cut into my budget.

Edited by IM_ALL_IN, 25 August 2008 - 06:20 PM.

#9 Juan73

Juan73

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14498
  • Handicap:7.6
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:06 PM

Cool... I was born in Binghamton... and was there very shortly before my parents moved to Rochester...well actually I was born on thier vacation!!!

I play a lot of courses around Tampa.  And like everyone has mentioned summer rates about everywhere in Florida are about 1/2 to 1/3 of the winter rates.  Below is a link to the courses in Tampa.

http://tampabay.golfersguide.com/

I use GolfNow.com to get discounted rates, and there are others.  With the hot deals from GolfNow you can usually play for less than $20.. at courses that are  a bunch more.  There are other discount internet sites for the Tampa area as well.  And if you NEED to play a course in Orlando it is only about an hours drive away.

Hope this helps.  And good luck in making you final decision.

#10 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 09:36 PM

Yes it does, thanks! I'm going to check out that link right now too.

I've been trying to read the http://www.city-data.com/forum/ as much as possible to get an overall feel for the area. Very good place to get information on cities all across the country.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#11 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 985

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:27 PM

View PostIM_ALL_IN, on Aug 25 2008, 07:08 PM, said:

View Postmizunofan2, on Aug 23 2008, 10:45 PM, said:

I live in Orlando and there are a ton of courses in the area in great shape for $40 or less. Housing is close to what you stated in other parts. I can't honestly think of anywhere else that has as many good courses for so cheap, especially if you travel a little outside of the city.

Can you rattle off some names so I can do some research?

Are you talking $40 in the summer or would the rates be around that in the winter too?

summer rates do go up, but there are still deals to be found, Eagle Dunes, Black Bear, Stoneybrook West, North Shore, and others are all reasonably priced and in good shape almost always.  Lastminutegolfer is a good place to get great deals on all these courses.

#12 ezra76

ezra76

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,323 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 25285

Posted 25 August 2008 - 10:41 PM

I went to Jacksonville in January and was impressed. Played at a course for $35 with cart that would have been a good $90-$100 up here. As for Jacksonville being too cold, I was wearing shorts the whole time in the middle of January. I've been to Boca quite a few times for work. Summer, forget it. It's AC to AC and that's it. If you're from up north you'll drop dead in that 98*/99% humidity weather. Tampa looked real nice the few times I've been there. If I was looking, I'd be considering Tampa and Jacksonville at the top of the list.

Edited by ezra76, 25 August 2008 - 10:45 PM.

#13 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,678 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1859
  • Ebay ID:tpariff
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:16 PM

I've lived in Tampa since early 1996 and love it.  I've traveled the state extensively for work and can say that I'd never live in Miami for a couple of reasons:

1.  I'm not fluent in Spanish.  English is the 2nd language down there, and if you don't speak Spanish, you're in the minority.
2.  Traffic is ridiculous and people don't know how to drive.

The Palm Beach area is nice.  I could probably live there.  Yes, there are some stuffy parts, but if you live in Wellington or another "suburb" of Palm Beach, you'll find that many people are "normal" working people.  In fact, you'll find many New Yorkers!  I know because we have some friends who live there and they have several friends who moved from NY.

Ft. Lauderdale - this is a tough one.  It's a nice area, but it's pretty close to Miami.  Not quite as bad with traffic and the English issue, so it could be an option.

Orlando - again a toughy for me.  The tourist traffic is ridiculous if you live on the western side of town near Disney, Universal, etc.  If you live in Winter Park, Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, etc. you will be able to avoid much of the tourist traffic in your daily life.

Jacksonville is a bit different from the rest of the state.  IMO it's more like southern Georgia.  I like the area but I'm not sure I could live there.

Here's what I like about Tampa:

1.  Job market seems pretty strong, especially in banking and finance which is my field.
2.  There's quite a bit to do.  25 minutes and you're at the beach.  We have 4 major professional sports teams (Bucs, Rays, Lightning & Storm) plus USF.  There are several malls if you or the lady in your life like to shop.
3.  Traffic isn't too bad, especially if you live close to your work like I do.
4.  There's plenty of good golf at reasonable rates.  In addition to courses in this area, you're only an hour from Orlando, Sarasota, Brooksville (World Woods, etc.), etc.
5.  The airport is conveniently located and offers many non-stop flights around the country.
6.  For $800 a month you can get a nice apartment in south Tampa which is the place for young people IMO.  I should know since I've lived in the same half mile area for the full 12+ years.

Good luck with your decision.  Feel free to PM with any questions.

Kevin

#14 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:25 PM

View Postmizunofan2, on Aug 25 2008, 11:27 PM, said:

summer rates do go up, but there are still deals to be found, Eagle Dunes, Black Bear, Stoneybrook West, North Shore, and others are all reasonably priced and in good shape almost always. Lastminutegolfer is a good place to get great deals on all these courses.

Thanks. I guess one of the big things is finding out where the deals are. Up here for example, I can use entertainment book coupons or we have something called the calendar golf card. It's basically a buy one get one free green fee deal. They also have internet specials for courses like The Linka at Hiawatha Landing that allows me to play for $30. We're talking a premo course here, but if you just stroll into the proshop you'll pay $55 during the week and as much as $75 on the weekends. My home course for years ENJOIE GOLF CLUB was home to the PGA tour's BC Open and is now the Champions Tour Dick's open. I can play there for $30, but the regular rates are $46 and $54 on the weekend. It's all about the deals baby! I hate paying full price for golf.

Sites like lastminutegolfer and GolfNow.com and anything else you guys recommend will be crucial for my golf fix. Matter of fact, when I was in Vegas in June, we played pauite($150 course) for $49 by using one of the tee time sites. Only way to go IMO.

#15 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• 3,678 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:35 PM

It's no different here in Florida.  We have lastminutegolfer and other discount programs.  One of the more popular ones is the Paradise Golf Card which gives you discounted rates at a bunch of Tampa area courses.  Many of them are very good.  You must purchase the card, but if you use it a couple times per month, you'll more than make up the purchase price.  Here's their website:

http://www.paradise-golf.com/

Keep in mind also that golf rates are a product of supply and demand.  Unfortunately (or fortunately) there are more courses than golfers, so the courses are basically forced to offer deals, especially during the summer when it's hot and humid.

#16 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:41 PM

View Posttpariff, on Aug 26 2008, 12:16 AM, said:

I've lived in Tampa since early 1996 and love it. I've traveled the state extensively for work and can say that I'd never live in Miami for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not fluent in Spanish. English is the 2nd language down there, and if you don't speak Spanish, you're in the minority.
2. Traffic is ridiculous and people don't know how to drive.

The Palm Beach area is nice. I could probably live there. Yes, there are some stuffy parts, but if you live in Wellington or another "suburb" of Palm Beach, you'll find that many people are "normal" working people. In fact, you'll find many New Yorkers! I know because we have some friends who live there and they have several friends who moved from NY.

Ft. Lauderdale - this is a tough one. It's a nice area, but it's pretty close to Miami. Not quite as bad with traffic and the English issue, so it could be an option.

Orlando - again a toughy for me. The tourist traffic is ridiculous if you live on the western side of town near Disney, Universal, etc. If you live in Winter Park, Lake Mary, Altamonte Springs, etc. you will be able to avoid much of the tourist traffic in your daily life.

Jacksonville is a bit different from the rest of the state. IMO it's more like southern Georgia. I like the area but I'm not sure I could live there.

Here's what I like about Tampa:

1. Job market seems pretty strong, especially in banking and finance which is my field.
2. There's quite a bit to do. 25 minutes and you're at the beach. We have 4 major professional sports teams (Bucs, Rays, Lightning & Storm) plus USF. There are several malls if you or the lady in your life like to shop.
3. Traffic isn't too bad, especially if you live close to your work like I do.
4. There's plenty of good golf at reasonable rates. In addition to courses in this area, you're only an hour from Orlando, Sarasota, Brooksville (World Woods, etc.), etc.
5. The airport is conveniently located and offers many non-stop flights around the country.
6. For $800 a month you can get a nice apartment in south Tampa which is the place for young people IMO. I should know since I've lived in the same half mile area for the full 12+ years.

Good luck with your decision. Feel free to PM with any questions.

Kevin

I appreciate the thoughts.

I've drove past JAX on the way to S.Florida and it looked like a nice enough city. I think it's too far north to be considered here so I'm going to rule it out.

Miami is out for sure for reasons you stated.

People really seem to like Tampa, I haven't read too many bad things about the area. I guess the major problem is I've never been there :) but making a blind move isn't the worst thing in the world. I'm only going to sign a 6mo lease so its not like I'm locked in for life.

#17 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 25 August 2008 - 11:54 PM

Hmmmm. Now I got myself thinking...since I've never been to Tampa or the surrounding areas, maybe it would be best to fly down for the week and check things out in person.

#18 BILL12x

BILL12x

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28584

Posted 26 August 2008 - 07:12 AM

It rarely, rarely gets above 93* from West Palm southward in the summer, although, we build up afternoon thunderstorms, as does Orlando.

Orlando area gets to be about 96*-100* when it's 92* here in West Palm, because there is no sea breeze to help keep it cool. It is also 5*-10* cooler in the winter in Orlando vs. South Florida.

It depends what you do for work that should help you make your decision.

#19 tpariff

tpariff

Major Winner

• 3,678 posts
  •  

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:14 AM

View PostIM_ALL_IN, on Aug 26 2008, 12:54 AM, said:

Hmmmm. Now I got myself thinking...since I've never been to Tampa or the surrounding areas, maybe it would be best to fly down for the week and check things out in person.

That's a smart move.  I was relocated here by my employer in early 1996, and I moved here not knowing a single person other than my co-workers.  I gave myself a year to see how I liked it, and here I am more than 12 years later still living in the same area with the same phone number!

Kevin

P.S.  I'm surprised nobody (including myself) has mentioned hurricanes!  We've been VERY fortunate in Tampa.  Southeast Florida (Palm Beach and Ft. Lauderdale) got hammered a couple of years ago, as did southwest and central Florida (Hurricane Charley).

Edited by tpariff, 26 August 2008 - 09:17 AM.

#20 DRGJR72

DRGJR72

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,001 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7788
  • Handicap:+0.5
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 26 August 2008 - 09:49 AM

I lived in West Palm Beach/Jupiter for approx 8 years when I worked at PGA National.  I have traveled all over the state for tournaments and during various times of the year.

Like many of the above posters have stated:

1. Orlando is very, very hot in the summer, although it is pretty hot in South Florida as well.
2. Port St. Lucie and south is quite nice in the winter (weather wise), but it is busy like most of the rest of the state.
3. Golf is much cheaper over the summer all over the state, does not really matter where you are at, there are deals to be had.
4. Tampa is a tough place especially if you end up in the wrong area.  My old boss went to school in Tampa and had some stories about being in the wrong place at the wrong time of night.  Same holds true for certain parts of WPB and I am sure other areas in the state.
5. Hurricanes are a way of life in FLA. and they do seem to be more prevalent along the east coast.  But the West Coast of the state does get some of the remnants and it is really hit or miss.

I really enjoyed the West Palm area.  I also lived in Jupiter and Stuart.  I guess it all depends on what sort of activities, etc. you are looking to do.  Stuart was kind of boring, Jupiter was amazing if you like being close to the beach, and West Palm had tons to do.  I am not super familiar with areas south, but I do know that Boca is expensive and there was some snootiness (from my experiences), Ft. Lauderdale is a good area and there are tons of courses. Northern FLA is really nice and has some great tracks, completely different than Southern FLA, but the winter is a little less bearable.  So it is a give and take.

Anyhow I hope that helps a little.  If you have any more specific questions feel free to PM me I will do my best to answer them.

Edited by DRGJR72, 26 August 2008 - 10:58 AM.

Driver: Adams Speedline Super LS
3W: RBZ stage 2
Hybrid: TM Rescue 4 21 deg
Irons: Cobra Bio Cell + 4-GW
54: Nike Vr Forged & 58 TM Tour Pref
Putter: Rife Abaco

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Remove This Advertisement GolfWRX

GolfWRX

Team Golfwrx

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Viewing GolfWRX as Guest

Hide these ads and more. Join GolfWRX. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free.

#21 PurePursuit

PurePursuit

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,170 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 38491
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 26 August 2008 - 10:37 AM

West Palm Beach is great!  I live in Delray Beach (work in Boca Raton) and I couldn't he happier as far as golf goes.  Summer membership at the surrounding Country Clubs is dirt cheap and you get to play a great course with practically no one on it (See Qualridge CC).  Winter golf is more expensive, but its never that hard to find a round under 30 bucks (especially if you play after 3.)  Delray Beach has a nice downtown area that isn't too crowded.  Also you can find some amazing deals on apartments/condos right now due to the housing economy (First/Second Month free etc).  Don't worry about the hot summers, if you spend enough time outside you will get used to it...Just stay hydrated.

#22 IM_ALL_IN

IM_ALL_IN

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 704 posts
  •  

Posted 31 August 2008 - 08:49 PM

Thanks again for all the help guys!

I booked a flight for the 14th to check things out a bit first. I'm flying into Orlando, then driving to Tampa for a few days and then heading down to the Ft. Lauderdale/West Palm area. I'm excited...can't wait

Edited by IM_ALL_IN, 31 August 2008 - 08:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors