Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Building up golf grips - towards to dimension of being non-tapered

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 mikeindaejeon

mikeindaejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61865
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 30 July 2008 - 01:31 AM

Hi guys,

Can any of you recommend the best way to build a nearly non tapered grip? I've heard that masking tape is preferable because it weighs less than grip tape?  If so, do I need to use twice as many wraps because it's thinner?  Any insight would be much appreciated?

If any of you have a picture of any grips that Moe Norman used, or grips that you have, I would be grateful if you could post a picture.

Regards,

Mike

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 thewitt

thewitt

Major Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,997 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7126
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:20 AM

You use about any tape you want for buildup tape. Professionals use masking tape because it's not sticky on both sides - making it easier to work with - and it's cheaper than grip tape.

How many layers and in what configuration will depend on the actual grip you are using - and the steps in the shaft that are under the grip.

Install one grip (use air over one later of masking tape if possible) and measure the diameter of the grip at several places with calipers. This will tell you how much tape you need to add to take out the taper.

Remove the grip and add the tape.

-t

#3 mikeindaejeon

mikeindaejeon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61865

Posted 30 July 2008 - 09:56 AM

Thanks for the reply.
Cheers,

Mike

#4 Toddg1

Toddg1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 61977

Posted 31 July 2008 - 12:55 AM

Here is a picture of Moe's Grip as compared to Natural Golf Grips and conventional Grips.

Comparison_Grips_web_copy.jpg

For more information email me at

moe2b@aol.com

Todd

#5 clubmaker72

clubmaker72

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59743

Posted 31 July 2008 - 06:52 AM

Three layers under my right (lower hand) works for me. Stagger the layers a half inch both up/down and around so you don't create a seam.

#6 mat562

mat562

My ex had an irrational phobia of salad cream. Honestly.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,521 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 167
GolfWRX Likes : 249

Posted 31 July 2008 - 07:19 AM

A friend likes a 'taperless' grip, and has me as his personal slave when it comes to regripping. Then again, he does sort me out with heavily-discounted car tyres, so it's fair enough I suppose. All's fair in love and heavily discounted essential goods as they say... :rolleyes:

For his grips I use regular masking tape and put a tight spiral around the shaft to give a uniform thickness to the tape, without any 'ridges'. I put one layer on 4" from the butt down to the grip's end-point; another layer atop that 5" from the butt; and a final layer a further inch down from that to even out the lower part of the grip. I then spiral miracle tape around it to his preferred thickness - currently 2 layers. It seems to just about give a uniform thickness along the length of the grip without any discernable taper to it.

It's a very effective method of calming down the right hand and can be quite an effective 'anti-hook' tool for those with a tendency to see too much of the left side through an overly-lively right hand. I thicken up the right (lower) hand on my own clubs, but I don't go as far as to take out the taper completely. Just one extra layer of miracle tape does the trick for me and gives a discernable increase in thickness whilst still retaining the tapered feel. It's actually surprisingly common and I know of quite a few players who do it.

#7 kiwidave

kiwidave

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 794
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 01 August 2008 - 05:26 AM

How about just using these
http://www.mortongol...Grips_s/433.htm

#8 SteveL1

SteveL1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,279 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 59182
  • Ebay ID:sl1429
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 01 August 2008 - 09:41 PM

View Postkiwidave, on Aug 1 2008, 05:26 AM, said:

How about just using these
http://www.mortongol...Grips_s/433.htm

Does a full release grip like the one at this link really help fix a slice? I've never seen anything like it. If it works, I konw about thirty guys that I will be sending an e-mail to. :russian_roulette:

#9 indyslongest

indyslongest

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30908
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 02 August 2008 - 09:42 PM

Those reverse taper grips are very cheaply made, the rubber is extremely thin and easy to tear/rip. Plus i would think it would increase a slice just because of the amount of build up in the right hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors