Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

best golf specific fitness/workout books

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 tdegeezy

tdegeezy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39102
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:20 PM

I think I have come to the conclusion that my current fitness/workout routine is not good enough, based on some replies I've recieved from my previous post about my current workout routine.  Only problem is that I can't afford to get a personal trainer to guide me through what type of workout regiment I should be doing based on my goals. So, I will have to design some type of routine for myself and I'm not very knowledgeable about this. So because of that, I will need to find information myself. Now I know there are tons of different golf specific exercises and based on what I've seen from just browsing around my local book store looking at books about golf specific training, it seems like there is way too many exercises to choose from. I would prefer to design the most effective workout regiment as possible so what I need is to know what are THE BEST exercises I can do, instead of ALL the exercises I can do because I have enough on my mind as it is.

So please, if anyone knows of any really good books on this topic or better yet, if there is anybody who is very knowledgeable and likes to help spread the knowledge to golfers like myself about things like this, it would be much appreciated. My ultimate goal with this is simply, to design the MOST EFFECTIVE workout regiment that I can do 1 day on 1 day off all through the week, because I'm kinda getting tired of working out every single day, and I'm pretty sure that's not even necessary.  So basically, what are the BEST workouts I should be doing, in what order, how many of each, also any advice on nutrition would be good. If you can't help me with that, then simply let me know of any really good books to read.  Thanks :swoon2:

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 22 July 2008 - 05:35 PM

Sean Cochran

Core Performance Golf

Don't under estimate the power of Yoga

Awesome site for equipment

Paul Chek The Real Deal

#3 tdegeezy

tdegeezy

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39102

Posted 22 July 2008 - 06:24 PM

View Postscotchblade, on Jul 22 2008, 03:35 PM, said:

Thank you for this list of things to check out, but here is the same problem I said I would run into. I see all of these different golf specific programs and exercises, but I don't know which one is the best. So my question, which one of these is the BEST? Is it "Sean Cochran's Core Golf Fitness", "Mark Verstegen's Core Performance Golf", "Katherine Roberts' Yoga For Golfers", or "Paul Chek's Golf Conditioning"?

You see, I can't just buy each of these books for each program because that is simply too much money and also too many workouts to be doing. I simply do not have the time or attention span for that. So my options are simple; I either choose one of these programs (whichever one is the BEST of course), or I somehow figure out which exercises are the best from each program and design a regiment that incorporates exercises from each program. But unfortunately that also sounds like way too much work because in order for me to do that, I would have to purchase each of those 4 things which for one I can't afford and for another I don't have the time to figure out which exercises from each program are the most effective for my goals, especially with my little knowledge of the subject, it would make that pretty much impossible.  So my only conclusion is that I either must find out which of those is the best and then I can go ahead and make a well thought-out,  educated purchase. My second option is if anybody knows of a way to help me design a regiment that is the most effective for my goals (if not sure of my goals then read some of my previous posts) and possibly incorporates ideas or exercises from different sources rather than just 1 guy who claims his way is the best way (i.e. Sean Cochran, Mark Verstegen, Paul Chek, etc..) , THEN BY ALL MEANS LET ME KNOW. Thank you   :swoon2:

#4 scotchblade

scotchblade

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,294 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23836
  • Ebay ID:basichip
GolfWRX Likes : 114

Posted 22 July 2008 - 08:54 PM

I can't really say which is best, but, all things considered, I'd go with Mark Verstegen's book.  He has a number of fitness books out, the golf one is the the latest.  Paul Chek's book is $$$ and sounds like it is geared more to trainers, but I have not seen it.  You may want to give his How to Eat, Move and Be Healthy book a look - check for used copies on Amazon.  He has some interesting things to say about eating and the food industry.  Same with Verstegen books, no reason to pay full retail.

If you do join a gym, seriously consider any yoga or pilates classes.  You may be the only guy, but don't let that stop you, it's a very smart move for golf and NOT easy.  Plus you'll be surrounded by lots of attractive women.

PS - All of the books I listed have "golf specific" exercises in them and "golf" in the title.  They do not spend much if any time on endurance or cardio.  To get a full body workout, you'll need other sources.  The exercises found in these books can be found in any stability ball / core / pilates books.  I guess what I am saying is I don't want to mislead you to Mark Verstegen's book because it's not a bible on total fitness for golf, none of them are.

Edited by scotchblade, 22 July 2008 - 09:43 PM.

#5 alkibiades

alkibiades

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 24946

Posted 22 July 2008 - 10:14 PM

Chek and Verstegen are both good.  But if you want a real workout,go here:  www.crossfit.com

#6 Dbogey

Dbogey

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 54095
  • Ebay ID:dbogeyman6
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 22 July 2008 - 11:35 PM

I would recommend checking this website out:

http://www.mytpi.com/

you should be able to find a good routine here.

Good Luck
Ping G25 9.5
Adams Tightlies 16*
Ping I20 20*
Ping I20 4-U wedge
Vokey 54* 58*
Ping Milled Anser superstroke 1.0

#7 WesleyD

WesleyD

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122476

Posted 21 February 2009 - 11:40 PM

View Postalkibiades, on Jul 22 2008, 07:14 PM, said:

Chek and Verstegen are both good.  But if you want a real workout,go here:  www.crossfit.com

oh no...How about here- t-nation.com.  

Actually try Built for show by Nate Green or New rules of lifting by lou shuler and alwyn cosgrove.  

It all depends on your fitness level. Most golf fitness books are rediculously easy for me, but for some might be challenging.  

Also look at Mike Boyle's website too

http://www.strengthc...epartment17.cfm

#8 SwingMan

SwingMan

SwingMan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,704 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2726
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 22 February 2009 - 12:02 AM

I just ordered this one - Ten Weeks to Ultimate Golf Conditioning available at

www.mikeromatowski.com.

Contents
Exercise Finder 5
Foreword 9
Introduction 11
Preface:
The “Magic Promise of Golf Conditioning” 13
Chapter 1: Weeks One and Two;
Optimize Your Posture and
Balance Your Body from All Sides 17
Chapter 2: Weeks Three and Four;
Liberate Your Head and
Increase Your Overall Strength 44
Chapter 3: Weeks Five and Six;
Enhance Your Hip Joint Rotation and
Energize the Hip-to-Torso Link 68
Chapter 4: Weeks Seven and Eight;
Enhance Your Shoulder Joint Function and
Energize the Torso-to-Arm Link 88
Chapter 5: Weeks Nine and Ten;
Coordinate Your Movements and
Feed the Need for Speed 108
Chapter 6: The Best Cardio for Golf 128
Chapter 7: A Great Warm-Up Routine 132
Chapter 8: Year-Round Workout Plans 136
Callaway is trending up

#9 TKing

TKing

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47044
GolfWRX Likes : 12

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:02 AM

I think too many people get hung up on exactly what "program" to do to start with as if one it the right answer. You will learn what works for you and you can go to something else when you feel the need. The most important thing is to do something.  The hardest part is getting started.  Start today, not tomorrow.

Golf specific doesn't matter.  Range of motion does.  Don't leave anything out and start slowly. Do Yoga and Weightlifting and stretching and aerobics.  Yoga, while it looks easy, will do more for you than you might think. Buy the cheapest beginner DVD you can find even like something put out by Prevention magazine.  My wife reviews them.   Increase your stength, range of motion, balance and decrease your resting heart rate.

Golf specific is all marketing directed at people who want to be lazy and do less.  I've never done any exercise that's "golf specific" or bought any kind of program.

#10 tigerphan

tigerphan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67329

Posted 22 February 2009 - 09:45 AM

okay this isn't a book but www.bodybuilders.com  it has some really great info in it

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#11 Rodtraut

Rodtraut

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 62726

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:22 AM

Might try "The Egoscue method of Health Through Motion" to start.  (www.egoscue.com )  Available on Amazon for about $10 in paperback.  He worked with Nicklaus several years ago in early 90's.  He advocates certain exercises to aid in alignment of body parts as well as adding flexibility to help in pain management.  There are not any weight lifting exercises in the book.  Mostly stretching and yoga type exercises.  I found it to be very beneficial.

#12 jebb

jebb

Major Winner

• Unregistered
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,559 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3534
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:31 AM

There is only one workout programme worth considering.... :good:

Face- paint is optional.
That Aint Billy Bob!!

#13 tigerphan

tigerphan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,089 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67329

Posted 22 February 2009 - 11:46 AM

View Postjebb, on Feb 22 2009, 11:31 AM, said:

There is only one workout programme worth considering.... :good:

Face- paint is optional.

I'm gona have to order it, I don't think anyone mentioned p90x?

#14 David Ostrow

David Ostrow

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69572

Posted 23 February 2009 - 08:15 AM

There is an inexpensive online system that you can try if you are not already set. I do these using a video conferencing system and a web based workout builder from TPI.  It's a very good system.  for more information email dostrow@fitgolf.com

Dave

#15 larry937

larry937

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31311

Posted 23 February 2009 - 11:44 AM

1st.. "The Original Ultimate Warrior Workout Video" cracked me up.. Loved that guy.. too bad he killed himself..

2nd.. http://www.bodybuilders.com is a great site plus it's free. Good place to start..

3rd.. Most gyms have 15 to 30 day free membership and usually a trainer will help you set up your first workout. It would give you a good starting point.

#16 WesleyD

WesleyD

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 731 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122476

Posted 24 February 2009 - 05:00 PM

View Postlarry937, on Feb 23 2009, 08:44 AM, said:

1st.. "The Original Ultimate Warrior Workout Video" cracked me up.. Loved that guy.. too bad he killed himself..

2nd.. http://www.bodybuilders.com is a great site plus it's free. Good place to start..

3rd.. Most gyms have 15 to 30 day free membership and usually a trainer will help you set up your first workout. It would give you a good starting point.

He killed himself 10 years ago yesterday...

#17 mkrolewski

mkrolewski

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51362

Posted 25 February 2009 - 01:16 AM

I am not sure what is a good "fitness" program. I used to run, a lot -- 70+ miles per week, 7min/mile or less. And was in good shape.

Decades later, I am trying to get back into shape -- and play better golf.

After looking at a lot of books, I found most of the programs to be very generic training programs. So, I have reverted to what I know. I have started a lot of aerobic training. Most of my time is on elliptical trainers, as they are easy on the knees and low impact. Treadmills and stationary bicycles bother my knees -- as does my weight. Typical workout is 30 minutes at 150 step/minute or about 450-500 calories on the machines indicator. That gets my heart rate into 130-150 range. So this is good, hard aerobic workout. I am doing this 3-4 times a week.  A nice part of this is you just have to do it. No clever moves or special skills. You can walk, you should be able to train. My gym has a "cardio theater", so I can watch a movie while training. It helps reduce the boredom factor.

In addition, I added a basic weight training circuit -- using machines. I started light (had to) and slowing increasing the weight. The goal is 3 x 15 lifts with a 30-60 sec break between reps. Generally 1 hours to do 8-12 machines. The weight workout is to tone, not necessarily build muscle mass - although that is an outcome. The idea is speed and duration. I personally noticed that with age, I was losing stability of joints. The training is building up the joints, tendons, etc.  This is once a week.

IMHO to be a better golfer you need to practice. Just playing is no where near the amount of practice you can get at a range. Given limits on time, I am trying to do 10-30 minutes each day, distributed over putting, chipping and pitching, and iron/long clubs. Practice is how you hone your swing.

I have not tried any flexibility regimes. Never a big fan. Would it be helpful? Most likely. But not yet for me.

The other advice I could give is find a partner to work out. I personally like working out alone. But is nice to have someone to workout with once or twice a week.

I also found tracking what you are doing in a log of some sort keeps you honest. Even if you are the only one reading it, there is a bit of push to workout. I track what I did each workout eg weight day or elliptical or when running distance, course and time.  

Good luck.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors