Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Proper etiquette for member/guest tournament

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Misc1600

Misc1600

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 190 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16673
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:35 AM

I have a member/guest tournament coming up. The cost is $240 for 2 rounds, dinner after, and prize money. However, I'm confused on the proper etiquette. Being a member, my golf is free. I don't pay for green fees, carts, or range balls. I need help on the following.

1. Does the guest pay for all of it?
2. Since I asked, do I pay?
3. Do we go 50/50?
4. The club has 2 different ranges. One for members and the other for public use. They are about 100 yards apart. Do I hit balls in the member's only OR hit balls in the public (which cost about 7 dollars for a bucket).

Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 06 July 2008 - 09:42 AM

View PostMisc1600, on Jul 6 2008, 09:35 AM, said:

I have a member/guest tournament coming up. The cost is $240 for 2 rounds, dinner after, and prize money. However, I'm confused on the proper etiquette. Being a member, my golf is free. I don't pay for green fees, carts, or range balls. I need help on the following.

3. Do we go 50/50?
4. The club has 2 different ranges. One for members and the other for public use. They are about 100 yards apart. Do I hit balls in the member's only OR hit balls in the public (which cost about 7 dollars for a bucket).

The member pays, and you hit range balls along with your guest in the area where he is allowed to hit. He should reciprocate by inviting you to his guest day.

Kevin
I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
========================================
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE

#3 ddrriiggzz

ddrriiggzz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11370

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:21 AM

You should pay and the course should have the range set up for all teams to hit in the same area.  Remember it is all about having a good time.

#4 AltusBeliever

AltusBeliever

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 532 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 22962
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 06 July 2008 - 11:56 AM

You should pay.
I used to play in a member guest at an old money club and it was standard practice to split the cost of everything. Surprised me.

#5 larrybud

larrybud

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,437 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.4
GolfWRX Likes : 729

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:14 PM

View PostMisc1600, on Jul 6 2008, 10:35 AM, said:

3. Do we go 50/50?

I don't think there is any "rule" as far as who pays.  You work out what you work out.  If a buddy of mine asked me to join him, I surely wouldn't expect him to pay for me.

I would definitely hit balls with your guest.

#6 NPVWhiz

NPVWhiz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11443
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 06 July 2008 - 06:50 PM

Views on this probably vary a lot more widely these days.  The old fashioned way is that if I'm the member, I pick up everything.  The person I invite is my guest, and I'm inviting them either because I enjoy their company, or I intend to compete strongly with them (or ideally, both!).  

If there are charges for food and drink, they go to my account.  If there is a substantial tee gift, then that's what it is...a gift.  

If the guest wants to purchase other items in the shop, they would pay, or if the club doesn't take payment (only account charges), then he can reimburse me for that type of purchase.  

The caveat is that this type of arrangement almost always involves reciprocity, meaning that I pay those costs knowing that I'll probably play an event at his club where he'll pick up the same fees and what not.  

I play one every year where the entry fee is pretty steep, and I'm not the member.  The food for the event is spectacular, and the tee gift(s) are worth several hundred dollars.  My buddy picks up the entry fee and the drinks/food and other misc expenses, but the travel expense for me is usually $400 to $500, and he knows I'm burning vacation days at work.    

As was mentioned earlier, the member guest event is usually the biggest shindig for the club, with the member/member being more about the golf than the party.  The member/guest is about showing off the club at bit, eating great food and enjoying other stuff, and trying to play well.  As the member, you want your guest to feel at home and have a great time.  They won't if they're worried about what to do or how to handle the cost, so it's up to you to put them at ease.

#7 ROBHATTER

ROBHATTER

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 412 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21080
  • Ebay ID:RSH13

Posted 06 July 2008 - 07:53 PM

NPVWhiz,  is absolutely right.  You as the member invite the other gentleman as your GUEST.

I have been on all sides of this situation.  As the member, as a guest, and as a representative of a golf company for 3 days working the event.  Both in a professional setting and in a personal/casual setting.

Go by his guides, and have a good time.  

The only other information that I would give is that on "betting" talk about the amounts you are willing to put up first, and go 50% on match and tournament wagers.

It is never expected but I always offer ONCE, to cover my expenses as the guest.  

If the member tells me that he has it covered I drop the situation.  You never want to offend their generousity.  

Lastly, as a guest I always make sure that I return the favor to the best of my ability, either by having them as a guest at my tournament, or bringing them to my club for a weekend, with a small gift tossed in (putter ect)

#8 Slapjax7s

Slapjax7s

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,969 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11286
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 07 July 2008 - 04:04 PM

Always offer to pay, most of the time people say no.

I always buy 50/50's for myself and the member who is hosting me, whatever wins wins.

I try to do every special event they have. I find myself to spend money at these event if the event is being paid by the member.

#9 BILL12x

BILL12x

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28584
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:01 PM

I have been invited to a member guest several times at another club. He has always paid for everything and will not let me contribute, even for the caddy.

I also won a set of Cally woods along with a fitting. I tried to give these to him, but he would not accept it.

I cannot reciprocate, because he is also a member at my club, so I bought him a very nice bottle of wine that I know he and his wife like. Not much, but a gesture of thanks, anyway.

#10 kevcarter

kevcarter

Legend

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 10,723 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3616
GolfWRX Likes : 1169

Posted 07 July 2008 - 05:28 PM

View PostBILL12x, on Jul 7 2008, 05:01 PM, said:

I have been invited to a member guest several times at another club. He has always paid for everything and will not let me contribute, even for the caddy.

I also won a set of Cally woods along with a fitting. I tried to give these to him, but he would not accept it.

I cannot reciprocate, because he is also a member at my club, so I bought him a very nice bottle of wine that I know he and his wife like. Not much, but a gesture of thanks, anyway.

The cost is not important, the gesture is. GREAT job imho, very classy...

Kevin

I could be wrong.
I have been before.
I will be again.
GEOMETRICALLY ORIENTED LINEAR FORCE

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors