Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

my Driver is D5 swing weight...what swing weight should my irons be at?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 maop99

maop99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35702
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:04 PM

Hi guys I think I found a good swing weight for my driver...D5

I just want to experiment on heavier swing weights I think this will help me "feel" my swing more...I was so surprised at the results of the D5 swing weight with the driver I want to try it also on my irons.....

What SW should I start with on my irons? D5 also for my 4 iron then slowly increase to D7 on my wedges or D5 for my wedges and decrease to D2 for my 4 iron or D5 for everything?

I just want something to start of my iron SW experiment.
Thanks!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 53782

Posted 30 June 2008 - 01:00 AM

Why not just add weight until you get the feel that your happy with and then check what they are. I will never understand why people take SW numbers so seriously.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, who cares what the SW number is, isn't it all about feel for you guys? What if your irons feel better at a C SW, would you add weight just because it isn't in the D range? Are you saying you can tell the diff. from a D5 to a D1.

#3 maop99

maop99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 08:56 AM

I don't know if I can tell the difference but it just feels right. everything suddenly just falls into place (without thinking, with out effort)...

example would be, with the 4 iron at C-8 to D-2 I couldn't close the face properly at impact, more so on the C-8 range maybe 60% miss hits, topped shots, slapping the ball for a slice of push slice or off center hits, I feel like I am hitting a hollow head? maybe because of the off center hits...

towards D2 getting better maybe 70% good shots 30% off center and slap...

at D4-D6 range 80-85% good shots (well at least good "feeling" shots for me for me) only miss hit is off center, able to close the face without effort....my swing is (I think) on plane...

at maybe D-7 I start hitting behind the ball....

This is what I mean, I can't really tell you what SW of the club is when you hand it to me but there is like a point where everything falls into place and I think its at about D-4 to D-6 range

#4 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 09:57 AM

Exactly..add weight so the feel is where you want, don't worry about the SW numbers.

#5 maop99

maop99

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:15 AM

Thanks King! Got it! This is going to be hard! harhar but I'm going to enjoy it.

#6 BigLeftyinAZ

BigLeftyinAZ

Major Winner

• Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8850
  • Ebay ID:clnconcpts
GolfWRX Likes : 24

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:38 AM

View PostKing Bogey, on Jun 29 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Why not just add weight until you get the feel that your happy with and then check what they are. I will never understand why people take SW numbers so seriously.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, who cares what the SW number is, isn't it all about feel for you guys? What if your irons feel better at a C SW, would you add weight just because it isn't in the D range? Are you saying you can tell the diff. from a D5 to a D1.

Everyone will feel this difference.Most can feel the difference between two swing points.Its when you get to the 1/2 to 1 that it could become difficult to feel

#7 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 10:51 AM

View PostCLNCONCPTS, on Jun 30 2008, 10:38 AM, said:

View PostKing Bogey, on Jun 29 2008, 11:00 PM, said:

Everyone will feel this difference.Most can feel the difference between two swing points.Its when you get to the 1/2 to 1 that it could become difficult to feel

Oh hell....please don't say everyone. There are just as many people that can't.

#8 OrangeBlood

OrangeBlood

Tour Winner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 617 posts
  •  

Posted 30 June 2008 - 11:03 AM

View Postmaop99, on Jun 30 2008, 10:15 AM, said:

Thanks King! Got it! This is going to be hard! harhar but I'm going to enjoy it.

It's a shame we look at certain numbers the way we do. SW, driver length, loft(driver), all should be tossed. I can honestly say I now play what feels good and have forgotten about what the numbers are.

I have to give you credit with your post above, you explained that very well, something other people could learn from. You obviously have a good understanding to what it really all means.

#9 ed22

ed22

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99163
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 20 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

You need to be interested in swing weight numbers so you know how to transfer the "feel" between clubs. If I bought a new driver I would check my original driver swing weight and match it on the new one. If I was just doing it with feel, I wouldn't have that peace of mind knowing that they are the same.

I agree that you should not "pick" a swing weight just because someone uses it on tour or you read it on a forum. You should play around with it until you have something that you like, then use the numbers to make sure it doesn't change.

View PostOrangeBlood, on 30 June 2008 - 11:03 AM, said:

View Postmaop99, on Jun 30 2008, 10:15 AM, said:

It's a shame we look at certain numbers the way we do. SW, driver length, loft(driver), all should be tossed. I can honestly say I now play what feels good and have forgotten about what the numbers are.

I have to give you credit with your post above, you explained that very well, something other people could learn from. You obviously have a good understanding to what it really all means.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors