Jump to content

Welcome, Guest. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Closed Face Driver


  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Swoosh142

Swoosh142

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29042
  • Joined: 05/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 29 June 2008 - 11:43 AM

What is the differences between drivers with closed face, draw and offset?  Don't they all acheive the same thing help slicers or faders square the face and hit it more straight?  Ping G10 draw is offset but some draws FT-5 just have a 1 degree closed face, I don't understand the differences?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with existing members and access to certain forums. Join our community today and enter into a chance to win a free regular giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#2 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

    RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
  • Joined: 01/11/2008
  • Location:Massachusetts
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:30 PM

the ft-5 is draw weighted, not face angle, there is something inside the clubhead(glue ive heard) that is placed on one side to promote a draw, i think its aimed at better players or something, if you tend to slice the driver i think youd be better served with the offset than the draw weighting, might be worth a try though
Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

#3 RightHandRough

RightHandRough

    Advanced

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57547
  • Joined: 06/09/2008
  • Location:Rice Lake Wi USA
  • Ebay ID:bizabel
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:35 PM

I play a fairly straight ball now but used to be a fade artist.  I'd say if you honestly hit a fade and not a slice you can go with weight alone and a square face.  If on the other hand you are an occasional slicer i'd go closed face.  Worst case and everything is way right i'd go offset and head to the lesson guy at my club.

#4 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

    RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
  • Joined: 01/11/2008
  • Location:Massachusetts
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:38 PM

View PostPaddy, on Jun 29 2008, 01:35 PM, said:

I play a fairly straight ball now but used to be a fade artist. I'd say if you honestly hit a fade and not a slice you can go with weight alone and a square face. If on the other hand you are an occasional slicer i'd go closed face. Worst case and everything is way right i'd go offset and head to the lesson guy at my club.

agreed, if its just a little unwanted fade than the weighting should fix it, if its an uncontrollable slice than offset and lessons are the way to go
Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

#5 BigMike300c

BigMike300c

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 707 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 18779
  • Joined: 09/02/2006
  • Location:brick, nj
  • Ebay ID:Bigmike300c
GolfWRX Likes : 2

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:54 PM

View PostWsc04forever, on Jun 29 2008, 01:30 PM, said:

the ft-5 is draw weighted, not face angle, there is something inside the clubhead(glue ive heard) that is placed on one side to promote a draw, i think its aimed at better players or something, if you tend to slice the driver i think youd be better served with the offset than the draw weighting, might be worth a try though

i also herd callaway just uses a drop or two of glue


#6 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

    RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
  • Joined: 01/11/2008
  • Location:Massachusetts
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 29 June 2008 - 12:55 PM

View PostBigMike300c, on Jun 29 2008, 01:54 PM, said:

View PostWsc04forever, on Jun 29 2008, 01:30 PM, said:

the ft-5 is draw weighted, not face angle, there is something inside the clubhead(glue ive heard) that is placed on one side to promote a draw, i think its aimed at better players or something, if you tend to slice the driver i think youd be better served with the offset than the draw weighting, might be worth a try though

i also herd callaway just uses a drop or two of glue

yah there was a post a couple months ago where a guy said that his callaway busted open and there was glue inside
Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link

#7 bulldog8b

bulldog8b

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 802 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49673
  • Joined: 02/23/2008
  • Location:Riverside, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 29 June 2008 - 01:37 PM

View PostSwoosh142, on Jun 29 2008, 09:43 AM, said:

What is the differences between drivers with closed face, draw and offset? Don't they all acheive the same thing help slicers or faders square the face and hit it more straight? Ping G10 draw is offset but some draws FT-5 just have a 1 degree closed face, I don't understand the differences?


Yes, they all acheive the same thing, which is to help prevent a slice or at least reduce it.  However, the Ping w/ the offset will promote a draw A LOT more than an FT-5 draw.  The FT-5 has a little bit of draw bias weighting in it, like most retail drivers do.  Usually it is just some glue or a little weight in the heel side of the club.

So, if you had a square faced driver w/ no draw bias weighting you would hit it perfectly straight, for example.  Then, you add a little wieght to the heel and you hit a 2 yard draw.  Then you close the face 1* and you get a 4 yard draw.  2* closed get s a 5 yard draw.  Then you make it offset like the G-10 and you get a 9 yard draw.  These numbers are all just made up to give you an idea of the differences.

So they all do the same thing, just to different degrees.  For example, I play an FT-5 w/ the neutral weighting.  It is 1* closed and I hit just a little tiny fade w/ it.  If I switched to the draw version, which is still 1* closed I would probably hit a little draw.  But if I switched to the offset G-10 I would just hit big hooks.  That is why they make different weightings and different amounts of offset.  Some people hit a big slice and need the help of the offset.  Others don't need the help at all and play square faced drivers or even open ones.  Hope my explanation makes sense.

#8 Swoosh142

Swoosh142

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29042
  • Joined: 05/17/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 01 July 2008 - 10:55 AM

I usually hit a small slice 75% of the time, I tried a TM Burner 1 degree closed face and that helped a bit, I tried a Cobra Speed LD F 2 degree closed face and that really helped, I now have a FT-5 draw and back to a small slice 75% of the time.  I really love the look and feel of the G10 driver, but the basic model has a square face so I was thinking of getting the G10 draw driver and 3 wood, just concerned when I swing well will I hit a big hook with it and have to get another driver.

#9 Naughty Mazz

Naughty Mazz

    RIP Ferbis 12-31-12

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,156 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 45702
  • Joined: 01/11/2008
  • Location:Massachusetts
GolfWRX Likes : 222

Posted 01 July 2008 - 11:02 AM

if you go to tgw.com, and look up the ping draw driver, then click on the "product tour" button, you get a pretty good picture of the amount of offset the g10 draw has, the ping website doesnt indicate the actual degree of offset
Titleist 907D2 7.5*
Titleist 906F2 15*
Wilson Tour Blades 2-PW
Cleveland 588 56*
Odyssey White Hot Pro CS7
WITB Link




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors