Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Current Rangefinders Slope Switch

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89955
  • Ebay ID:yellowlover5
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:51 PM

Were still using an old bushnell range finder, but looking at the newer ones with slope switch.  How do you know if someone is using a slope rangefinder?  Is it just the honor system?  What happens if someone plays with one during a tourney and forgets to turn off slope after shooting the first flag?  Just curious if any of this matters - the old range finders were designated with or without slope, so curious how the current ones work/are regulated.

Edited by yellowlover519, 11 February 2019 - 11:51 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wlm

wlm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 11 February 2019 - 11:57 PM

Honor system. Last year the winner at sage accidentally used slope on the first hole and had a 2 stroke penalty.  It is important to note that there may be tournaments that do not permit using a device that has slope capability, even if turned off.

Edited by wlm, 11 February 2019 - 11:58 PM.

#3 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

Honor system.  The ability to abuse said system is easy if you own said type of rangefinder. I'm sure it's never abused. :blink:  

There was a good thread on rangefinders before:  http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1608754-range-finder/

#4 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:56 AM

Here is the thing like everyone said it is the honor system. For the most part I think most people do honor it as well. The thing is as tournaments get bigger you really have to be careful because it's something that could easily checked during a round by an official.I don't know if they check but would not be surprised if they randomly checked rangefinders on courses where it would make a difference.

Honestly I rather buy rangefinders without the slope and it does away with the whole issue. Most of the courses we play are flat so even having slope is not going to be a huge difference like courses out west.

#5 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 489076
  • Handicap:3.8
GolfWRX Likes : 2336

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:27 AM

Everyone so far is right, its the honor system.  What matters isn't what the device CAN do, its how you use it.  Its probably a good thing to understand the actual rule.

Common examples of uses of equipment that are allowed and not allowed during a player’s round under this Rule are:
(1) Distance and Directional Information.

• Allowed. Getting information on distance or direction (such as from a distance-measuring device or compass).

• Not Allowed.

• Measuring elevation changes, or

• Interpreting distance or directional information (such as using a device to get a recommended line of play or club selection based on the location of the player’s ball).
Penalty for Breach of Rule 4.3:

• Penalty for first breach from single act or related acts: General Penalty.

• Penalty for second breach unrelated to first breach: Disqualification. This penalty applies even if the nature of the breach was entirely different than the breach resulting in the first penalty.
I have seen cases in which a local rule disallowed any device that has the potential to measure things like elevation change, so its a good idea to make sure you read the Conditions of competition.  I've also met people who THINK (incorrectly) that the normal rule (previously the Model Local Rule) prohibits devices that have the potential to measure elevation change, so its good to understand what the rule actually says.

#6 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 2049

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:38 PM

If you play tournament golf, I see no reason to have a rangefinder with any slope capability.

#7 kcap

kcap

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 417624
GolfWRX Likes : 145

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:02 PM

We do not use/own a slope capable rangefinder but have always wondered whether that is the right decision.

What is wrong with using the slope capability enabled during the practice round prior to a tournament?  The idea is to gather all the Intel (especially for par 3s that have slope) and use it during the tournament.  The tournament will be played with a normal range finder but the notes should help you understand club choices.  At the end of day, it takes guess work away at least during the tournament.

Does anyone do that?  I assume professionals have all sort of information in their yardage book and probably use the slope  functionality.

#8 wlm

wlm

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 67 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102822
GolfWRX Likes : 56

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:04 PM

The slope feature is useful for practice rounds and non-tournament rounds.

#9 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:13 PM

View Postwlm, on 12 February 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

The slope feature is useful for practice rounds and non-tournament rounds.
Its certainly useful, but you should NOT post scores for handicap, at least under the USGA rules.  And if you intentionally use the slope feature to avoid posting scores, you should come under the scrutiny of your Handicap Committee.

#10 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:35 PM

Another thing to watch out for is GPS watches some of them have slope functions on them as well. If you use those watches  or other GPS devices you have to make sure they are in tournament mode.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 davep043

davep043

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,589 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 01:40 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 12 February 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

Another thing to watch out for is GPS watches some of them have slope functions on them as well. If you use those watches  or other GPS devices you have to make sure they are in tournament mode.
The same would apply if you use GPS on your phone, make sure you don't use any of the prohibited functions.

#12 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:00 PM

View Postdavep043, on 12 February 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

View Posttiger1873, on 12 February 2019 - 01:35 PM, said:

The same would apply if you use GPS on your phone, make sure you don't use any of the prohibited functions.

Aren't phones prohibited in Junior tournaments?

Edited by mrshinsa, 12 February 2019 - 02:01 PM.

#13 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 479

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:15 PM

View Postkekoa, on 12 February 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

If you play tournament golf, I see no reason to have a rangefinder with any slope capability.

I have a leupold that you have to switch the face off, its bright freaking yellow. Pretty easily to tell if you are using it. I probably switched it twice in 2 years.

#14 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM

We currently have a cheap GPS that does not have slope on it. But I am getting ready to buy the bushnell hybrid because sometimes my son has a hard time finding the flag if the wind isn't blowing. At least with it he can look at the GPS and see if he's in the correct ball park. Not an issue yet because I still caddy for him so not a issue yet just want to get something with fail safe in it just in case. As for slope I'm glad I'm reading this a whole other issue. Good post

Edited by Tannerbug33, 12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM.

#15 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1324

Posted 12 February 2019 - 02:43 PM

View PostTannerbug33, on 12 February 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

We currently have a cheap GPS that does not have slope on it. But I am getting ready to buy the bushnell hybrid because sometimes my son has a hard time finding the flag if the wind isn't blowing. At least with it he can look at the GPS and see if he's in the correct ball park. Not an issue yet because I still caddy for him so not a issue yet just want to get something with fail safe in it just in case. As for slope I'm glad I'm reading this a whole other issue. Good post

Yep, when my son started playing on his own I doubled him up.  I have an old GolfBuddy GPS thing that gives him yardages to the front / middle / back.  He would then use the rangefinder to shoot the flag.  If the number was close to what the GPS unit said he knew he was good.  Way off and he would re-shoot... we went through lots of those special batteries the first year.

#16 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:18 PM

The hybrid GPS laser finders have a bunch of cool features that help you locate the pin. The problem is they do not work in tournament mode. You can still see distances but using the compass features is not legal.   Having said that just turn on tournament mode and you are good to use them in most tournaments. The hybrid gps laser finders are very very good on new courses and worth every penny.  The Garmin though is much better then bushnell version.

Edited by tiger1873, 12 February 2019 - 03:32 PM.

#17 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 12 February 2019 - 03:18 PM, said:

The hybrid GPS laser finders have a bunch of cool features that help you locate the pin. The problem is they do not work in tournament mode. You can still see distances but using the compass features is not legal.   Having said that just turn on tournament mode and you are good to use them in most tournaments. The hybrid gps laser finders are very very good on new courses and worth every penny.  The Garmin though is much better then bushnell version.

Thanks I'll check it out

#18 iteachgolf

iteachgolf

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,379 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14489
GolfWRX Likes : 7649

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:24 PM

A compass (directional not geometrical) is 100% legal during tournament rounds of golf.

#19 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1324

Posted 12 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 12 February 2019 - 07:24 PM, said:

A compass (directional not geometrical) is 100% legal during tournament rounds of golf.
Yeah but most people don't know why it would be useful.

#20 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 12 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

View Postiteachgolf, on 12 February 2019 - 07:24 PM, said:

Legal or not they turn it off during in tournament mode which is the only way to turn off slope so you cant use it.

Calling it a compass feature is not really accurate either. It basically will point you the center of the green and tell you the distance. Very useful if cant see the flag because of hill or say a tree in the way.   Have no clue if its legal but assume there must be an issue because they turn it off if you turn slope off.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 nsxguy

nsxguy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2142

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:19 PM

There are often external cues that will tell anybody watching whether the slope function is on.

One poster mentioned the different color faceplate for the Leupold.

The Nikon Stabilized Pro has an external green light that flashes when the RF is in tournament mode, i.e. slope is NOT on.

Other units (Bushnell) have a visible slider switch on the side of the unti that indicates whether slope is on or not.
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
Titleist AVX

#22 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 2611

Posted 13 February 2019 - 05:43 PM

darter79, on 12 February 2019 - 02:15 PM, said:

kekoa, on 12 February 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

I have a leupold that you have to switch the face off, its bright freaking yellow. Pretty easily to tell if you are using it. I probably switched it twice in 2 years.

I was about to suggest that in my part of the world...the slope function serves almost zero purpose.

Then I read your post...and you switching it twice in 2 years kinda makes my point.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors