Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Orlando Fl Courses

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 VanSwagger83

VanSwagger83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435268
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 07 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

Going to Orlando for a week at the end of March trying to figure out which courses to play.  We're planning about 3 rounds of golf and we're staying pretty close to Sea World from what Google Maps shows.  Any advice on what courses to play or avoid?  I've been searching online, but don't know anything about these courses.  We're not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like to see if I could play at least 1 Championship style of course (Falcon's Fire?  Reunion Courses?)
Also correct me if I'm wrong, getting out on Bay Hill requires staying at that specific lodge, and very costly, right?
Edit: how hot should I expect it to be at the end of March?  I haven't been to Orlando/Florida in years and last times I was there it was the middle of winter.
Thanks

Edited by VanSwagger83, 07 February 2019 - 06:16 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 htownchaz

htownchaz

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141513
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:55 PM

I would try and go to southern dunes for sure. Next shingle Creek and grand cypress. Reunion is nice if you can play Watson course. Any of the Disney courses or championsgate.

#3 VanSwagger83

VanSwagger83

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 435268
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:16 AM

View Posthtownchaz, on 07 February 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

I would try and go to southern dunes for sure. Next shingle Creek and grand cypress. Reunion is nice if you can play Watson course. Any of the Disney courses or championsgate.
I heard very mixed reviews about Shingle Creek recently from a group that was down there, I wasn't sure what to expect.
What's the difference between the different Reunion Courses, I was looking at the website, and they all seemed nice.  Thanks for the input.

#4 kro88

kro88

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 345957
GolfWRX Likes : 71

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:20 AM

All of the Grand Cypress courses are great.  Falcon's Fire and Orange County National are solid.  havent played Celebration in years but that one was fun too.

High end resort courses - Ritz course is a great fun course.  I'd stay away from the Waldorf course.  Norman design that is way too difficult.
Bag of tricks - in Mackenzie Walker
Driver: Ping G400 LST 10 +1 w/Fuji Speeder 661 Evo IV X
Wood: Titleist 913 F2 19 w/Diamana S+ Blue 72s
Irons:   Miura CB-1957 w/KBS Tour Stiff 3iron -1 flat, Miura 1957 Baby Blades w/KBS Tour Stiff 4-PW -1 flat
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Design V grind oil can 54 - 2 flt -1 wk w/KBS 610, Titleist Vokey Design Low Bounc K oil can 60 -2 flt w/KBS Hi-rev, Taylormade Hi-Toe 64 w/KBS Hi-Rev
Putter: Mizuno TPM3 33.5 Inches, w tungsten powder in hosel, SS 3.0 grip
Ball: Titleist Pro-V1X

#5 CHuntsman

CHuntsman

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 424 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 460084
  • Handicap:8.6
GolfWRX Likes : 329

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostVanSwagger83, on 08 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

I heard very mixed reviews about Shingle Creek recently from a group that was down there, I wasn't sure what to expect.
What's the difference between the different Reunion Courses, I was looking at the website, and they all seemed nice.  Thanks for the input.

I played all 3 Reunion courses last March during a March Madness basketball/golf trip.  All 3 couses were very nice.  The Nicklaus course was my favorite.  Its a few minutes away from the resort and the clubhouse was an old trailer then but the course was immaculate.  The Palmer course was nice as was the Watson.  The Watson course has toooooooons of bunkers.  I was in a bunker on every hole. Rather it been a greenside/fairway/waste. The clubhouse for Palmer/Watson is connected to the beautiful resort.  Make sure to go to the top floor restraunt and grab a drink on the balcony overlooking the city.  We bumped into John Scherholtz (old ATL Braves GM) in the elevator on our way up. He was there for Spring Training.  He was a very nice gentleman. He even made a point to seek us out and asked how our stay was going.  As far as the weather is concerned, it's Florida, it'll be hot and muggy with rain in the afternoon!  I would also recommend Grand Cypress.  It was in great condition when I played there last September.

Edited by CHuntsman, 08 February 2019 - 11:16 AM.

#6 Togatown22

Togatown22

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14577
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:togatown22
GolfWRX Likes : 1489

Posted 08 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

There are multiple threads in the Florida forum on Orlando courses.

For high-end resort "championship style" courses I'd consider Ritz, Waldorf, and Tranquilo (now private but you can get on after 1pm and other certain times if you check).

Very solid, well maintained resort courses: Southern Dunes, Championsgate Country Club, Orange County National, Reunion, Celebration, Grand Cypress.
Rogue 10.5 Graphite Design AD TP 6S
Rogue 15 PX Even Flow Blue S
816H1 19 Motore Speeder 8.8 S
718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
Futura 5.5W

#7 Pooh_Bear

Pooh_Bear

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 523394
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted Yesterday, 10:46 AM

View PostCHuntsman, on 08 February 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

View PostVanSwagger83, on 08 February 2019 - 09:16 AM, said:

I played all 3 Reunion courses last March during a March Madness basketball/golf trip.  All 3 couses were very nice.  The Nicklaus course was my favorite.  Its a few minutes away from the resort and the clubhouse was an old trailer then but the course was immaculate.  The Palmer course was nice as was the Watson.  The Watson course has toooooooons of bunkers.  I was in a bunker on every hole. Rather it been a greenside/fairway/waste. The clubhouse for Palmer/Watson is connected to the beautiful resort.  Make sure to go to the top floor restraunt and grab a drink on the balcony overlooking the city.  We bumped into John Scherholtz (old ATL Braves GM) in the elevator on our way up. He was there for Spring Training.  He was a very nice gentleman. He even made a point to seek us out and asked how our stay was going.  As far as the weather is concerned, it's Florida, it'll be hot and muggy with rain in the afternoon!  I would also recommend Grand Cypress.  It was in great condition when I played there last September.

lol.  Come on dude he's going in March.  Weather will be perfect.  Hot and muggy with afternoon rain is strictly a Summer thing down here.  June through Sept basically.  He can expect sun every day with temps probably in low 80's with not much humidity.  I played Watson Reunion in a tourney last year and was not very impressed.  Played Palm and Magnolia in December and they were okay but neither would be worth the price they are charging.  LBV is the choice if you are playing in Disney imo.  Tranquilo if you can get on is top top.  Grand Cypress is where you want to play though.  Especially the New Course.  Probably pricey and most likely busy but that entire place is pretty great.  North South may put you on suicide watch if your game is rusty but that New Course is pretty special.

#8 Ghost of Snead

Ghost of Snead

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,745 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257314
GolfWRX Likes : 1722

Posted Yesterday, 11:06 AM

View PostVanSwagger83, on 07 February 2019 - 06:15 PM, said:

Going to Orlando for a week at the end of March trying to figure out which courses to play.  We're planning about 3 rounds of golf and we're staying pretty close to Sea World from what Google Maps shows.  Any advice on what courses to play or avoid?  I've been searching online, but don't know anything about these courses.  We're not looking to spend a fortune, but I'd like to see if I could play at least 1 Championship style of course (Falcon's Fire?  Reunion Courses?)
Also correct me if I'm wrong, getting out on Bay Hill requires staying at that specific lodge, and very costly, right?
Edit: how hot should I expect it to be at the end of March?  I haven't been to Orlando/Florida in years and last times I was there it was the middle of winter.
Thanks

Go out to Orange County National - both 18s are good, but IMO Panther Lake is a little better. PGA and Champion's Tour qualifying have been held there.

It's probably a 30 minute drive from Sea World.
Taylormade 2016 M2 10.5* - Blue Tensei CK 70X
Taylormade SLDR Mini 14* - Fujikura Motore Speeder 77X
Callaway Apex UT 18° - Project X 6.5
Callaway Tour Authentic X-Prototype 3-PW - Project X 6.5

Vokey SM7 Raw 52.08F

Vokey V-Grind 58.10
Ping My Day

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors