Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Which Destination this summer?

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 newg33b

newg33b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317379
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:57 AM

It's still very much winter and the golf season isn't in full-swing, but I've got the itch and looking at places to take a trip this summer. It'll likely be myself, maybe a couple other buddies too, but I've been thinking about the following destinations and wanted to get people's opinions on them. I would probably use credit card miles to pay for flights to any of them, so it's more on a quality of golf and similar-ish cost basis once the travel is netted out. Edit: Not sure if it would matter, but I'm a mid single digits player, maybe a 7 these days. I'm in the Eastern US near a big airport, for reference:

1. Bandon Dunes: I've been to Bandon but it's been 5 years since I was last there. I was able to play all the big courses but didn't get a chance to play the Preserve.

2. Wisconsin: Lots of options here, but I was thinking Kohler and Sand Valley and potentially adding in Erin Hills.

3. Cabot: Lots of stuff I've read/heard has said Cabot is awesome. But it would only be two new courses. I could potentially add in a stop in Boston as I have some buddies up there.

I was thinking about going to each of these in the summer, probably July or August.

My questions are really:
1. For people that have taken any/all of these trips, what were your thoughts/opinions? How would you compare them?
2. I really loved Bandon when I went, but would it be worth going to Bandon a second time before going to another place like Wisconsin or Cabot?

Thanks!

Edited by newg33b, 07 February 2019 - 12:00 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 jvincent

jvincent

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37449
GolfWRX Likes : 187

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:23 PM

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of those.

I've been to Bandon twice and would go again in a heartbeat. Nothing bad to say about it other than it is a PITA to get to.

The Kohler/Erin Hills/Sand Valley (haven't been to SV yet) is a different kind of golf than Bandon but equally good. Location wise it's a very different vibe and there is more driving if you are going to hit all three locations. Erin Hills is one of my favourite courses.

I haven't been to Cabot yet but it has been described by guys I know as Bandon "East".  It's on my list of places to get to. One thing to be aware of is that because of the short season availability fills up quickly.

If you haven't done Wisconsin yet, I would go for that. All four courses at Kohler are great. You can do an easy day trip to Erin Hills from there. Sand Valley is further away if you want to include it but you won't be disappointed even if you just do Kohler and Erin Hills.

#3 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
GolfWRX Likes : 501

Posted 07 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

All good choices...

If truly Summer, then it can get a bit hot/muggy/etc than some other choices.  But great destination for all those courses:  Don't leave out The Bull or Lawsonia.

Cabot is awesome...and you don't just get 2 courses for that trip.  You can play Highland on the other side of the island, plus there are some other courses to.  But you can do what I did and add PEI which was great.

This year we are doing Bend...which is a great summer destination.  And if you are really motivated only a few hours from Bandon.  Or of course, just Bandon...making my 7th trip in May.  

But other options to consider:  Whistler, Idaho, Colorado, of course Pebble.

#4 newg33b

newg33b

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 317379
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

View Postputtnforthe8, on 07 February 2019 - 12:31 PM, said:

All good choices...

If truly Summer, then it can get a bit hot/muggy/etc than some other choices.  But great destination for all those courses:  Don't leave out The Bull or Lawsonia.

Cabot is awesome...and you don't just get 2 courses for that trip.  You can play Highland on the other side of the island, plus there are some other courses to.  But you can do what I did and add PEI which was great.

This year we are doing Bend...which is a great summer destination.  And if you are really motivated only a few hours from Bandon.  Or of course, just Bandon...making my 7th trip in May.  

But other options to consider:  Whistler, Idaho, Colorado, of course Pebble.

Thanks for the advice! I definitely appreciate the other options too. I'll just say I didn't include Colorado because I lived there for a couple years, so I've played a number of the good public tracks around Denver. And I actually did Pebble with my dad last year which was awesome, so it'll be a while before I go back there.

#5 johnnylongball

johnnylongball

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29601
GolfWRX Likes : 89

Posted 07 February 2019 - 02:40 PM

We really like the Wisconsin trip.  Haven't played Sand Valley yet but have done the Kohler/Erin Hills trip a few times.  We love Bandon but it's hard to get to.  Kohler is much easier.  About an hour from the Milwaukee airport.

#6 DandyDon

DandyDon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 178 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169457
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:23 PM

If you do trips pretty much every year I would hold off on Bandon.  Bandon is in early stages of doing another course which is supposed to be epic.  I love Bandon (have been 3 times) and I am holding off going until the next course is done.

I did the Kohler courses along with Erin Hills and the Bull at Pinehurst Farms a couple of years back, awesome courses (although I enjoyed Bandon experience more).  I would do the Kohler and Sand Valley trip now and wait for Bandon to finish the new course before you go.

I do want to do Cabot, but it's hellish getting there from Cali

#7 Tim Gavrich

Tim Gavrich

Golf Travel Guru

• Featured Writer
  • 189 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115260
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 07 February 2019 - 03:24 PM

Kohler is about 2 1/2 hours from Sand Valley so while you certainly could wedge both, plus Erin Hills/SentryWorld/Lawsonia into a single trip, I'd be inclined to break it up into two discrete trips:

1) Kohler + Erin Hills

2) Sand Valley + SentryWorld

The x-factor is Lawsonia Links, which is about an hour from both trips and would be bolted onto either. It's just as well, too, because I would consider it *the* essential Wisconsin golf course, especially for the money.
Senior Writer, Golf Advisor

TM M3 10.5* - UST V2
Srixon Z F65 15* & 19*
TM V-Steel 21*
Titleist 710 MB 4-PW
Cleveland RTX-3 52* and 58*
Evnroll ER5 (370g)

#8 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,827 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2384

Posted 08 February 2019 - 06:48 PM

I would choose Wisconsin and at least play Whistling Straits and Erin Hills.  If you have time add The Bull, Blackwolf Run River, Whistling Straits Irish and Sand Valley.

#9 tiderider

tiderider

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 320763
  • Handicap:5ish
GolfWRX Likes : 1070

Posted 08 February 2019 - 08:17 PM

each spot in wisconsin is roughly 1 1/2 hrs from another spot ... not each other, but from at least one spot, if not two ... so the driving thing isn't that big of a deal ... kohler has 4 courses, sv has 2, and you have erin hills/lawsonia/bull/sentry to choose from as go betweens ... i'd do straits & river at kohler for sure, along with sv, and probably erin hills ... that's 5 ... i'd throw in lawsonia, personally, over the other two, but bull & sentry are very good courses ...

#10 Cmoney710

Cmoney710

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99888
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 15 February 2019 - 04:43 PM

If you want a relitivey cheap hotel and golf. I recommend Traverse City, MI. You can stay at the Grand Traverse Resort. They do a great job.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors