Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

X-Factor Swing bad for your Back

48 replies to this topic

#1 andrue

andrue

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 459

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:28 AM

Well..according to the BBC anyway.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 557

Posted 05 February 2019 - 07:56 AM

View Postandrue, on 05 February 2019 - 05:28 AM, said:

Well..according to the BBC anyway.

That’s an impressive piece of non-research.  If that’s what it takes to conduct medical research these days, then even I could do it.

“It's still a theory but we are starting to see the late stages of this in some of our patients”

So, it’s an article about a theory...  And the theory seems to be swinging harder and faster may put more pressure on your spine.

I’ve no doubt that’s true of anything.  I came to the same conclusion with precisely the same level of ‘research’

#3 gatorMD

gatorMD

Hacker-in-Chief

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,727 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487980
  • Handicap:0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2588

Posted 05 February 2019 - 08:47 AM

https://thejns.org/s...SPINE181113.xml

article
Driver: Ping G400 Max 9 Tour AD DI 7 3W: TM M2 Tour AD MT 7 Utility: Srixon Z U65 3/19 Blueboard Irons: Ben Hogan PTx 4-PW Tour V Wedges: SM6 50F and 54S; SM5 60K DG Putter: ODYSSEY WHITE HOT RX ROSSIE Ball: Titleist AVX

#4 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,086 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 2783

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:03 AM

I would say it's more like beating 1000 balls a day and playing 136 holes of golf a week.

Excessive amounts of anything may lead to improved performance, but is just not good for you physically. Just look at all the endurance athletes that die of heart issues in their 50-60s.
Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

#5 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:14 AM

View PostgatorMD, on 05 February 2019 - 08:47 AM, said:

Thanks for the link.  It really is just an article and a hypothesis based on the authors looking at other (somewhat inconclusive) studies, which the BBC has then rehashed in a specific ‘x-factor’ spin.

I personally believe a lot os the assertions, but they’re really just that... assertions at this point, with nothing really out there to elevate our understanding:

Certainly, initial management in players with back pain would include aggressive core and flexibility training with conservative therapies in the absence of disc herniation causing neurological deficits. It has been suggested that aggressive golf-specific training and rehabilitation can im- prove back pain in some patients.9 Limited flexibility of the hips and spine has been correlated to low-back pain in golfers as well and, therefore, should be the focus of any therapeutic regimen. It seems possible that Woods’ other orthopedic injuries (affecting his knee and Achilles ten- don), which preceded his back issues, may have contrib- uted to alterations in swing biomechanics that augmented the strain on his back. The participation of physical thera- pists and spine interventionalists with an advanced un- derstanding of this special disease pathology may prove advantageous for treating patients and helping them return to play.’

There’s a lot of common sense, but also a lot of hypothesizing in that paragraph.  I’d love to see more research.

My guess is in 5 years they’ll coalesce around a swing with a little more emphasis on hip rotational speed (and the requisite hip mobility to save the knees), with spinal rotation reduced slightly for each individual where you’re a few degrees away from hitting the ‘bump stops’ on either side of the rotation.  That’s where I’m trying to get to for myself.  It’ll simply require a lot of core to brace.

Edited by PorscheFan, 05 February 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#6 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 645

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:10 AM

The X factor absolutely is bad for your lower back in 99% of people.  The spine and the muscles around the spine that support rotation are not designed for that much torque.  Eventually something has got to give.  Jason Day is a perfect example of this.....Focused on maximizing x factor for a while....started having back problems. There is a difference between stretch shorten cycles and forcibly resisting....X factor falls into the forcibly resisting category.  If you are naturally flexible and can turn your shoulders 90+ degrees and not turn your hips much naturally, good for you, but you are in the overwhelming minority.
Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

#7 Fort Worth Pro

Fort Worth Pro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58263
GolfWRX Likes : 1450

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

View Postferrispgm, on 05 February 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

The X factor absolutely is bad for your lower back in 99% of people.  The spine and the muscles around the spine that support rotation are not designed for that much torque.  Eventually something has got to give.  Jason Day is a perfect example of this.....Focused on maximizing x factor for a while....started having back problems. There is a difference between stretch shorten cycles and forcibly resisting....X factor falls into the forcibly resisting category.  If you are naturally flexible and can turn your shoulders 90+ degrees and not turn your hips much naturally, good for you, but you are in the overwhelming minority.

You really have no idea about jason and his back. Just saying, don't use jason as an example.

#8 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostFort Worth Pro, on 05 February 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

You really have no idea about jason and his back. Just saying, don't use jason as an example.

Uh huh............. :fool:

#9 Fort Worth Pro

Fort Worth Pro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 10:56 AM

View Postferrispgm, on 05 February 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

View PostFort Worth Pro, on 05 February 2019 - 10:33 AM, said:

Uh huh............. :fool:

You might listen on this one. You never know what people know. Jason is a very poor example here.

#10 ksgolfcoach

ksgolfcoach

Director of Instruction at Firekeeper Golf Course

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 737 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 214255
GolfWRX Likes : 534

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

Fascinating topic. When did Jason and his coach start focusing on X factor and how soon after that did he get injured?

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:08 AM

https://www.golf.com...ay-more-birdies

#12 Fort Worth Pro

Fort Worth Pro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:20 AM

View Postferrispgm, on 05 February 2019 - 11:08 AM, said:

Anything written in a golf magazine has to be taken with a grain of salt. Colin gives the writer a couple points they work on and the writer fills it in. The numbers are correct and I bet for sure they were working on maintaining the stability in his legs. From there I'm almost positive the magazine filled in the gaps about resistance leading to distance yadda yadda yadda. I have first hand info on this one in regards to jason's golf swing

#13 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,303 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 11682

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:21 AM

Common sense dictates it’s bad for your back.

As has every expert I have asked.

The irony is creating separation is supposed to be a transition move and forcing it in the backswing often ruins it in the sequencing.

#14 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 11:48 AM

View PostFort Worth Pro, on 05 February 2019 - 11:20 AM, said:

Anything written in a golf magazine has to be taken with a grain of salt. Colin gives the writer a couple points they work on and the writer fills it in. The numbers are correct and I bet for sure they were working on maintaining the stability in his legs. From there I'm almost positive the magazine filled in the gaps about resistance leading to distance yadda yadda yadda. I have first hand info on this one in regards to jason's golf swing

I guess a grain of salt is more credible than comments from certain people.....................

FYI....He has stated in interviews/live instruction/clinics that he tries to restrict hip turn.

Edited by ferrispgm, 05 February 2019 - 11:48 AM.

#15 Fort Worth Pro

Fort Worth Pro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:00 PM

View Postferrispgm, on 05 February 2019 - 11:48 AM, said:

I guess a grain of salt is more credible than comments from certain people.....................

FYI....He has stated in interviews/live instruction/clinics that he tries to restrict hip turn.

Insult all you want...I know what I'm talking about. Not a good example. I'm not even advocating for restricted hip turn. Just saying jason isn't a great example of why it's bad or representative of why it might cause injuries.

#16 scopek

scopek

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 285042
GolfWRX Likes : 121

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:31 PM

This is an important topic so I'm glad this article was posted. I've also thought that this type of a swing when taught to me would cause strain on my back so I've generally avoided it. People have talked about rotational swings causing back injury, but it seems that if the hips and spine rotate together I have zero back issues. I read somewhere that part of why Kuchar started working with Jim Hardy is that he used to have a swing something like x-factor and that he was starting to have back issues in his early career. He changed to a rotational type pivot swing and hasn't had an issues sense.

#17 mudge

mudge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 364901
  • Handicap:n/a
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:52 PM

How can Jason Day be a *bad* example of restricting hip turn can lead to back problems? He is a poster child of "restrict hip turn for more power".

This article makes it even more obvious:

https://www.golfaust...ason-day-430879

For amateur golfers, in terms of their golf fitness, I think it should be more about flexibility and stability.

Why? Well you’ve got to be able to turn behind the ball and keep your hips pretty still. When amateurs ‘turn’ they’re swaying side to side. Everything – hips and shoulders – go as one. When I’m taking it back there’s a little bit of hip turn but there’s about 90 degrees of shoulder rotation

As far as I can tell, those words are straight from the horse's mouth. I have no clue why someone would object to JD being a good, if not great, example of how X-factor can contribute to back problems.

#18 MPStrat

MPStrat

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 938 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 321019
GolfWRX Likes : 393

Posted 05 February 2019 - 01:55 PM

The numbers are correct and I bet for sure they were working on maintaining the stability in his legs.

Michael, is it possible to maintain the stability of the legs and not restrict the movement of the pelvis to some degree?

#19 Fort Worth Pro

Fort Worth Pro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:21 PM

View Postmudge, on 05 February 2019 - 01:52 PM, said:

How can Jason Day be a *bad* example of restricting hip turn can lead to back problems? He is a poster child of "restrict hip turn for more power".

This article makes it even more obvious:

https://www.golfaust...ason-day-430879

For amateur golfers, in terms of their golf fitness, I think it should be more about flexibility and stability.

Why? Well you’ve got to be able to turn behind the ball and keep your hips pretty still. When amateurs ‘turn’ they’re swaying side to side. Everything – hips and shoulders – go as one. When I’m taking it back there’s a little bit of hip turn but there’s about 90 degrees of shoulder rotation

As far as I can tell, those words are straight from the horse's mouth. I have no clue why someone would object to JD being a good, if not great, example of how X-factor can contribute to back problems.

I can say it because I am not going off of any publication. I am going on first hand knowledge of the situation.

#20 Fort Worth Pro

Fort Worth Pro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:22 PM

View PostMPStrat, on 05 February 2019 - 01:55 PM, said:

The numbers are correct and I bet for sure they were working on maintaining the stability in his legs.

Michael, is it possible to maintain the stability of the legs and not restrict the movement of the pelvis to some degree?
maintaining the stability of the legs will lessen the rotation of the pelvis. That said, there is a difference in that and restricting the turning of the hips.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 Temple90

Temple90

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 469956
  • Handicap:N/A
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 05 February 2019 - 03:36 PM

When you start overly involving the lower back in the swing you are asking for trouble. The spine isnt designed to torque in rotation. Eventually something will happen. Rotating with the hips and thoracic spine seems like a much better idea especially for longevity of your back.

#22 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,814 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

Exactly......name one sport/athletic activity where restricting your body's natural movement improves performance?  Stabilization is in a different category btw.  As Monte says....it's really common sense when you think about it.  The problem is when a popular teacher/figure says something else, people blindly follow.

#23 Nosebuckle

Nosebuckle

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 236297
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 49

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:01 PM

Fort Worth Pro said:

I can say it because I am not going off of any publication. I am going on first hand knowledge of the situation.

Without assuming anything, are you at liberty to explain/clarify a bit more? Or perhaps another player would be a better example to illustrate this?

#24 Fort Worth Pro

Fort Worth Pro

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 04:13 PM

View PostNosebuckle, on 05 February 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

Fort Worth Pro said:

Without assuming anything, are you at liberty to explain/clarify a bit more? Or perhaps another player would be a better example to illustrate this?

I worked/taught with a member of jason's team. There is more to it and there are reasons for it. It also has not caused him any back issues.

#25 dap

dap

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,525 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 35223
GolfWRX Likes : 455

Posted 05 February 2019 - 05:49 PM

That article also suggests the downswing can also put strain on the lower back. Day has a pretty extreme reverse C follow through and this causes lateral flexion in the lower spine. In contrast, Dustin Johnson has very little reverse C and I don't think he has any back problems despite him being a longer hitter than Day.

#26 llewol007

llewol007

4KidsGolfer

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,054 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 211323
  • Handicap:4.1
GolfWRX Likes : 897

Posted 05 February 2019 - 06:02 PM

The Chiropractor I went to when I had lower back pain said the golf swing is bad for your back and that it is not a natural motion for your back to repeat over and over.
Cobra F9 9* Graphite Design DJ Stiff
Cobra LTD 15 Degree Aldila Rogue Stiff
Cobra MB/CB 4-PW DG AMT S300 Black
Cobra MB 50/54/60 DG AMT S300 Black
Taylor Made Ghost Long Hosel DA22
Vice Pro +

#27 Sparklehorse

Sparklehorse

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 522470
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:21 PM

I've a bad back and I think its because I have to hold the club with both hands. If I swing with just one arm alone , the swing feels less strain but I'd probably whiff the ball. Just have to accept the fact it's a sport that really requires  both arms and therefore by its nature cannot be back friendly.

#28 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

View PostSparklehorse, on 05 February 2019 - 09:21 PM, said:

I've a bad back and I think its because I have to hold the club with both hands. If I swing with just one arm alone , the swing feels less strain but I'd probably whiff the ball. Just have to accept the fact it's a sport that really requires  both arms and therefore by its nature cannot be back friendly.

Ah, vivadixiesubmarinetransmissionplot.  There’s a blast from the past!

Yep, it’s about finding the least-worst way to swing the club for your own body.  I’m not quite there yet...

#29 pinhigh27

pinhigh27

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 73898
GolfWRX Likes : 2946

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

View Postllewol007, on 05 February 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

The Chiropractor I went to when I had lower back pain said the golf swing is bad for your back and that it is not a natural motion for your back to repeat over and over.

neither is having your back "cracked" or whatever quack stuff they do

View Postdap, on 05 February 2019 - 05:49 PM, said:

That article also suggests the downswing can also put strain on the lower back. Day has a pretty extreme reverse C follow through and this causes lateral flexion in the lower spine. In contrast, Dustin Johnson has very little reverse C and I don't think he has any back problems despite him being a longer hitter than Day.

so the only thing that could possibly influence the presence of back pain is there golf swings? nothing about their anatomy, prior injuries, etc etc

not every thing in someones life is explained by their golf swing
How to be in better shape for golf?
Become a better athlete.
Don't worry about golf specific.
Compound lifts w/ linear progress
Don't forget the mobility work.
More results, more functional

Spin is not your enemy, everything is a trade-off.
17 * 1700 goes really far, but doesn't go very straight or consistent
8* 3500 goes really straight, but doesn't go very far
Answer for most is somewhere in the middle.
Pga tour driver avg launch conditions: 11* 2700

#30 Oldboy

Oldboy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,367 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30613
GolfWRX Likes : 572

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

The lumbar spine and thoracic spine are meant to work in different ways. Flexion vs rotation. But at the end of the day it’s banging 1000s of balls and playing 100s of round that is gonna hurt

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors