Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* * * * * 2 votes

Could Augusta National Have a Local Rule Banning Leaving the Pin In?

240 replies to this topic

#241 xxio

xxio

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 541
GolfWRX Likes : 459

Posted 11 February 2019 - 08:39 PM

bladehunter, on 10 February 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

xxio, on 10 February 2019 - 12:51 AM, said:

For the guys that say it slows play.

For me it is like tending a flag for someone on a long putt. If someone wants it out, I pull it, step to the side then put it back in after. I would think that is at least as fast.

People will get used to it and the pin in/out decisions faster.

Pin in has sped up play in my course. This is from seeing groups finishing up on the 9th and 18th while having a drink on the veranda.

But see that wonít work. I donít want you standing there waiting for me to putt.  It gets pulled and moved from the line of vision to the hole.  Then has to be put back.

Which adds 3-4 secs the 6-8xs it happens versus the overall time it saves during a round. The guy having the pin pulled will eventually realize the times when he gains an advantage. Plus players in one group are even aware when a guy has a downhiller or conversely has been wanting pin out, under the recommended pace of play guidelines we adjust who goes first.

Just like most anything new we don't notice the times it works, but the times it doesn't stands out.

I play regularly with 3 different groups, all different handicap ranges (3 til 24), some fast players-some slow ones.

After 2-3 rounds of adjustment, players are settling in a comfort zone.

All groups are faster on the greens.

Did it make 4.5 hour rounds (5some, walking) into 3 hours and 45min?

Definitely not, but on regular days we are finding we are consistently having happy hour about 10-15minutes earlier.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors