Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Yesterday: An emotional high (99mph) and devastatingly low (story) day at the range. Warning, graphic images follow. Not for sensitive eyes.

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 shadymg

shadymg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 510468
  • Handicap:+30
GolfWRX Likes : 32

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:43 PM

I didn't have the heart to post this yesterday when it happened. It was an emotional day to say the least at the driving range.

First the emotional high of finally figuring out my swing and smashing drives, and seeing 99mph on my swing caddie! I couldn't wait to try out this new tweak of a swing on all my clubs. I was on cloud 9, so happy, couldn't wipe the smile off my face....
Posted Image

What happened just a few clubs later was the extreme opposite, emotional gut punch. My driving range has a slight ramp to it behind the mats, and there's very little flat space But i've always put my bag behind and never noticed (reference: I own one of those UA Armada Cart bags which i love) any issues. The day was a windy day, but I didn't even think anything of it--okay, that's a lie, a part of me thought of putting my bag next to where the balls/mat is, but i wanted to record this new swing from down the line view.......as I'm hitting hybrid, i commence downswing and.....BAM! My hybrid head goes FLYING into the range and i see the remains of my 3wood and Driver heads scattered around my mat. This is the end result. I guess a huge gust of wind came and toppled it just enough? Or did I hit it with my hybrid (but not my 3wood or driver) and just didn't notice?! Did my gf get karma revenge on me for rushing her out of the house so I could make it on time for a tee time?!?!

I still have not emotionally recovered....my these shafts rest in peace in golf heaven. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy. So I'm sharing my story so others do not suffer the same--if you have a cart bag (no legs), then please, for the love of your clubs, be extremely careful where you place the bag!! Now I know why caddies on the tour put the bag lying down when on grassy areas. Was a very hard lesson to learn.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Edited by shadymg, 02 February 2019 - 03:44 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 jvincent

jvincent

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 37449
GolfWRX Likes : 178

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

Look on the bright side, perfect excuse to get some new sticks!

#3 bamagator

bamagator

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 518214
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 02 February 2019 - 04:10 PM

Chin up!  Easy fix...shaft replacements and you have new engines in your horses.  Shop out some replacements and rock.  Stuff happens....one of my motorcycles had a slow drop in the garage last week after the kickstand moved and I watched it.  Pissed, cost me a few pennies to repair....repair done this week and rode it like a boss today.  New shafts will make your sticks go farther man.
Gamer Bag:
Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)

#4 shadymg

shadymg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:23 PM

Thanks fellas. And yeah once I was able to breathe and think clearly I realized all was not lost. My buddy said the same thing lol trying to get me to buy new clubs lol. But I'm not big on not budgeted purchases. So I got on the phone. Roger Dunn offered some sort of generic club but the way he described it, specifically no returns, made me nervous.

Conclusion: I went to Plaza golf and they hooked me up with the identical wood shaft (was actually for driver but they cut it down to size and gave me killer deal since it was a demo unit), a new Alta shaft for driver from the new ping series. Then I got lucky and found the identical shaft on eBay and the guy promised to ship priority today. I have a palm springs trip pga west next weekend so didn't have time to look at other shafts and I wanted to hopefully keep consistent feel to what I knew. All in the damage was $120, so I think i got extremely lucky!!

#5 Maverick17

Maverick17

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 519588
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:stgl2998
GolfWRX Likes : 28

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:27 PM

ďHoney, I need to talk.  I work hard. Long hours, etc. I put in extra overtime to pay for the woods Iíve always wanted. Today at the range, look what happened. The shop looked at them and found them to be fakes which is why this happened. Worst part is, I paid full price. I got taken advantage of. Iím so depressed....I worked so hard to get these only to be found I got taken. Iím done golfing for good. Letís go out to dinner tonight....I need to clear my head and forget this.Ē

If your wife/gf has any hint of a heart, youíll have brand new woods to replace those in no time! 😁

Taylormade 2016 M1 460 8.5 w/ Fuji Speeder 757 Evo 7.2 S
Taylormade Rescue 11 TP Tour Issue 18* w/Aldila RIP 85 S
Mizuno MP 57 3-pw w/ s300
Cleveland Tour Action 588 TS 52* w/ s200
Cleveland Tour Action 588 TS 58* w/s200
Taylormade Rossa Daytona Sport 1 35"

"Feel above all else......and the rest will follow"

#6 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,791 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 4490

Posted 02 February 2019 - 06:52 PM

View Postjvincent, on 02 February 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

Look on the bright side, perfect excuse to get some new sticks!
Like anyone on WRX needs an excuse...
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#7 bamagator

bamagator

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 518214
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 02 February 2019 - 07:46 PM

Don't put the bag in that spot again bro!...……………… Hit em strait
Gamer Bag:
Cobra F6+ Pro Driver 9.5 Deg, Cobra F6 3W, Cobra F6 Baffler 5W Woods
Titleist 990 3-PW Irons
Vokey 52/08, 56/12 Wedges
Odyssey Rossie ii Putter
Snell MTB Ball (Black or Red)

#8 brkuck

brkuck

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,531 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47240
GolfWRX Likes : 295

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:41 PM

$120 isn't bad.  Be happy that it could be a lot worse.  Glad it worked out and you got them in time for the trip!

#9 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 488 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:08 PM

My 6 iron head went flying onto the range the other day as I swung into a shot. I probably hit 150 balls and might have only hit 5 of them flush that day. This shot happened to be one of the 5, but it broke my 6 iron head off.

Fortunately, no-one was on the range so I walked out there and retrieved it. Now need to take it to my clubfitter friend to get fixed. Iím a little bummed because Iím going to have to buy a new shaft, but no big deal.

Breaking multiple clubs would stink, but Iíd probably just use that as an excuse to buy new clubs.
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

#10 shadymg

shadymg

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts
  •  

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:22 PM

View PostLeftDaddy, on 02 February 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

My 6 iron head went flying onto the range the other day as I swung into a shot. I probably hit 150 balls and might have only hit 5 of them flush that day. This shot happened to be one of the 5, but it broke my 6 iron head off.

Fortunately, no-one was on the range so I walked out there and retrieved it. Now need to take it to my clubfitter friend to get fixed. I'm a little bummed because I'm going to have to buy a new shaft, but no big deal.

Breaking multiple clubs would stink, but I'd probably just use that as an excuse to buy new clubs.

oh yeah, i forgot that detail of retrieving the head (the 5 bays were occupied with old white dudes), most noticed what happened and just felt bad for me. 2 old guys would not be stopped from hitting their balls. even when they saw me walking out to get my head (i thought they heard the other guys telling them MULTIPLE times to stop and let me get my head). Of course at that moment, all i cared about was my club head lol. #priorities

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 new2g0lf

new2g0lf

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114437
GolfWRX Likes : 2165

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

View Postshadymg, on 02 February 2019 - 09:22 PM, said:

View PostLeftDaddy, on 02 February 2019 - 09:08 PM, said:

Fortunately, no-one was on the range so I walked out there and retrieved it. Now need to take it to my clubfitter friend to get fixed. I'm a little bummed because I'm going to have to buy a new shaft, but no big deal.

Breaking multiple clubs would stink, but I'd probably just use that as an excuse to buy new clubs.

oh yeah, i forgot that detail of retrieving the head (the 5 bays were occupied with old white dudes), most noticed what happened and just felt bad for me. 2 old guys would not be stopped from hitting their balls. even when they saw me walking out to get my head (i thought they heard the other guys telling them MULTIPLE times to stop and let me get my head). Of course at that moment, all i cared about was my club head lol. #priorities

Find a new range if guys wouldn't hold up practicing for a few minutes so you retrieved the heads.  I would have had a few words with them and the range owner.
Driver - Ping G400 MAX 10.5*
Woods - XXIO 10 3W
Hybrids - XXIO 10 3H, 4H, 5H
Irons - Home - PXG Gen 2 0311P 5-GW Away - Ping i500 5-AW
Wedge - Vokey TVD 56* K Grind
Putter - Seemore Nashville mFGP2 SS Mallet Black
Ball - KSig, TM TP5X, Snell MTB

#12 Phreddy

Phreddy

Tour Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 566 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 273961
GolfWRX Likes : 638

Posted 06 February 2019 - 12:17 PM

Really sorry about your sticks.  The only time I can recall breaking through 99 mph barrier it was with either two or four wheels under me.

Phred
If you need a grinder to make your weld look good, you are a grinder not a welder.

#13 Carl Spackler3

Carl Spackler3

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 136528
GolfWRX Likes : 618

Posted 06 February 2019 - 03:51 PM

The horror, the horror....... the horror” Col Kurtz
Titleist 915 D2
Ping G 3 W
Ping G 5W
Ping G25 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX 900 hot metal 5-GW
Vokey 52-08 sm4
Vokey 56-14 sm6
Odyssey White Hot RX2 ( but it better be careful)

#14 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 611 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 06 February 2019 - 04:19 PM

I was once saw a guy trash his staff bag full of brand new Callaway clubs. He was so busy stashing beers in the cart he forgot to strap in the bag. Floored the cart and snapped off a few heads. Dumb azzzzzzz stuff.

#15 Big Oh!

Big Oh!

Knownuttin

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 429242
  • Handicap:14
  • Ebay ID:Chrismixx
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:01 AM

You are crafty Sir, I may use that myself!

Driver - MizinoST-80 10.5 Degree
Fairway - MIzuno ST180 15 and18 Degree
Hybrid - Mizuno  CLK Hybrid 22 Degree
Irons - Mizuno - JPX-900 Hot Metal, 5 - PW
Wedges - Mizuno S-18  50-56-60
Putter - EVNROLL 1.2 Tour Blade
Ball - Titleist AVX and Tour Soft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors