Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Best Driver in the last 5 years?

driver best performance

115 replies to this topic

#31 Storms

Storms

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413684
  • Joined: 02/27/2016
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:12 AM

 cgasucks, on 01 February 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

 mizuno player, on 01 February 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

2016 M2

Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation.  I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).

The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.

TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
TaylorMade M1 19* Aldila Rouge Black
Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
Akira Tour Issue 54*
Akira Tour Issue 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 Warrick

Warrick

    Hall of Fame

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 9,133 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 275445
  • Joined: 09/10/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 5668

Posted 02 February 2019 - 01:22 AM

 MtlJeff, on 01 February 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

Epic deserves more love, not the most fun to hit driver , but dear god that thing was a LM warrior. Still cannot hit anything further

Mine is getting ready for it's 3rd season in the bag.
GBB Epic 9* - Tensei Pro Orange 60
Rogue SZ 3W - Tensei Pro Orange 70
Epic 3H - Tensei Pro White 90
Apex 4H - KK 80
Mizuno 919 combo 5-P - PX LZ 6.0
Mizuno T7 - 48-53-58 - PX LZ 6.5
O-Works Black 7s Tank
TM TP5X

www.creedthoughts.gov.www/creedthoughts

2

#33 GolfTurkey

GolfTurkey

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 512 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448908
  • Joined: 12/13/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 421

Posted 02 February 2019 - 03:58 AM

Interesting how quickly the hype around the TS drivers has died down. Lots of play on tour (maybe because Titleist is paying for numbers) but pretty quiet around here.

3

#34 aquapig

aquapig

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344409
  • Joined: 10/13/2014
  • Location:florida
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 102

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:03 AM

Love when people use the saying “hands down”.

Like somehow the drivers they mentioned are the best and there should be no other opinions on the matter because “hands down” these are the bestest ever!

Come on man

4

#35 rgk5

rgk5

    rgk5(OLB)

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,399 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3525
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
  • Location:Hamilton, Ontario. Edmond, Oklahoma
  • Handicap:6
GolfWRX Likes : 1311

Posted 02 February 2019 - 08:34 AM

Ping G30 LST, G400 Max
Cobra F8+, now slightly bested by the F9, at least in my hands
Epic or Rogue, not a huge difference
2017/2016 M2

Cobra F8+ 11*, Mitsubishi Grand Bassara 39 R

Cobra F8 3-4 wood 16.5*, NV Blue 70 R

Ping G400 hybrids 19*, 22*, Alta 70 R

Callaway Rogue Pro 5-pw, Recoil F3

Miura "Mind The Gap" 51*, Recoil F3

Ping Glide 1.0 55*, CFS Wedge flex

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 58*, Alta 70 R

Ping Sigma 2 ZB 2, 35", 2* loft, OTW

Super Stroke Oversize grips


5

#36 Peanut191

Peanut191

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,595 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299122
  • Joined: 02/27/2014
GolfWRX Likes : 599

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:09 AM

2016 M2 is still in the bag.  Nice combination of forgiveness and distance.
M2 10.5, set to 9.75, D5, KK XT 70s
M2 Tour 16.5, Diamana Thump 85s
Titleist 913 21* Kiyoshi White 95 04 flex
Srixon 745 4-PW, Dynamic Gold 115s
Callaway Razr Forged GW 51
Vokey 56F 14 bounce, Vokey 60M
Scotty Newport 1.5

6

#37 3woodvt

3woodvt

    5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365369
  • Joined: 03/06/2015
  • Location:Roanoke
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 886

Posted 02 February 2019 - 09:11 AM

 rgk5, on 02 February 2019 - 08:34 AM, said:

Ping G30 LST, G400 Max
Cobra F8+, now slightly bested by the F9, at least in my hands
Epic or Rogue, not a huge difference
2017/2016 M2
If that 30Lst would have been quieter I'd still be playing it.  Best driver I ever played!
Cobra F9 9.5 Atmos TS Black
Cobra F8+ 14.50 Aldila
Adams A12 17* VTS Proforce 100
Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
Ping Zing TR
Srixon XV
Lamkin Crosslines w arccos

7

#38 tcatone5

tcatone5

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515162
  • Joined: 10/26/2018
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:49 AM

I ended up with the M4 I hit the M6 and the grouping was a little tighter but no significant improvement vs the M4 and for $180 less it was a no brainer great distance and it really helped the fade in my shot everything stayed straight with the M4 D type. It is great when you step up to the tee with confidence. I wasn't a TM guy until now but things may change.
Driver: Taylormade M4 D Type 9.5
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2
Irons: Ping I500 Black Dot
Wedges: Titliest SM6 48, 52, 56 Callaway MD3 60
Putter: Bettinardi Queen B #8

8

#39 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,312 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Tucson AZ (for now)
  • Handicap:9.7
GolfWRX Likes : 549

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:36 PM

After trying everything and playing the Cally Xhot, GBB and Epic, I've settled in on the
Ping G400 w/ the Hazrdus Yellow 71gm shaft. Could have gone G400 LST as well.
Both super forgiving.
Demo'd against the GBB and Epic, outdoors w/ trackman. G400 was about 6-10 yards longer and much straighter for me.
I love the sound off the Epic when pured, but there really was no comparison .........I was a little shocked, since I haven't liked Ping drivers in the past.
1st 2 rounds haven't missed a fairway with the G400.
Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75
Xhot 4wood Tour Blue 75
Apex Hybrid  20, 23 & 26 Kuro Kage
Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s / Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s
MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and Mizuno Raw Black OX 58/11
Bettinardi BB1/ OWorks 2 Ball Red
Chrome Soft / TP5/ Snell MTB Black ( test run)

9

#40 playa

playa

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,813 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 280775
  • Joined: 10/18/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 4298

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

As a drawer of the ball with my miss being a hook, I have found recent drivers to be problematic for me. The obsession with distance has meant most drivers I've tried are designed with a draw bias to squeeze out a few extra yards, but at the cost of consistency and accuracy. I've also found newer drivers to be over 45", again to give more distance but at the cost of accuracy. Shafts are also a problem for me as I am aggressive through impact and need a stiff tip/low torque combo, which don't come stock so adds to price. In short, I can't recommend anything from the last 5 years cause I don't like any of them.

I play a TM r7 super quad TP with a GD Quattro tech, and although I give up 10 yards on the best drives with newer bombers, the confidence I have standing on the tee knowing where the ball is going makes up for it.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#41 agoodmanmbk

agoodmanmbk

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478200
  • Joined: 08/09/2017
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 127

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:00 PM

TS2....combined with my Tensei Pro White shaft....best driver I have played since the original RBZ
Titleist TS2 Tensei Pro White 60
Titleist TS2 14.25* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70
Titleist TS2 18* HZRDUS Smoke Black 70
PING i210 4-PW Project X LZ
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth 56*/SS Project X LZ
TaylorMade Spider X Navy
TaylorMade TP5

11

#42 ace036

ace036

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,818 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 13928
  • Joined: 04/03/2006
  • Handicap:+0.7
GolfWRX Likes : 209

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:04 PM

G400 Max. By far the most forgiving and straightest driver I’ve ever hit or gamed.
Ping G400 Max 10.5° - Aldila Rogue Elite Blue 65x
Callaway Rogue 17° -
Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 75s
Titleist 917F2 21° - Aldila NV 2KXV Orange 75s
Titleist 718 AP2 (4-PW) - Project X 6.0
Titleist SM6 50.08F - Project X 6.0
Titleist SM6 54.10S - Project X 6.0
Titleist SM6 58.08M - Project X 6.0
Bettinardi Studio Reserve JAM-F

12

#43 Konklifer

Konklifer

    Thinkin' of a master plan...

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7455
  • Joined: 11/07/2005
  • Location:location, location.
GolfWRX Likes : 2361

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:10 PM

G400 Max
PING G400 Max 10°
PING G400 16.5°
PING G400 hybrid 19°
PING i25 hybrid 22°
Callaway XHP 5-AW
PING Glide 2.0 Stealth, 54° SS, 58° ES
Kevin Burns 9306
Snell MTB Red Optic Yellow

13

#44 martyball1

martyball1

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515942
  • Joined: 11/07/2018
  • Location:Herndon, VA
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:45 PM

My second 2016 M2 is on the way.  I should have kept the first one. Tried several drivers in between. Nothing recently could kick my G20 out of the bag, but the M2 will.

14

#45 JohnnyB Hips

JohnnyB Hips

    Advanced

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122357
  • Joined: 02/15/2011
  • Location:Brentwood, California
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 06 February 2019 - 06:59 PM

Epic SZ. I tried a couple of drivers like Taylormade M2 and Cobra King LTD but i still like the feel of the jailbreak! ;)

But I'm really tempted to try Ping G400.


15

#46 sdandrea

sdandrea

    Steve

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,151 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Joined: 11/14/2010
  • Location:Fredericksburg, VA & Hernando FL
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:sdan6017
GolfWRX Likes : 2157

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:00 PM

PING G30, G, G400, G410.  That should cover at least 5 years......oh, the surprising Callaway BB Fusion!

Edited by sdandrea, 08 February 2019 - 09:25 AM.

PING G30 SFT 10* TFC 149
PING G 4h 22*  Alta
PING G400 6 - UW  Alta CB
TILLE OMG 52* & 56*
Scotty Fastback

16

#47 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 4,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3331

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

Taylormade M5
Taylormade M2 2016
Cobra F9+
Taylormade M4
Ping G400 LST
Callaway Epic SZ
Cobra LTD Pro
Callaway Epic Flash SZ

Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.
http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

17

#48 Krt22

Krt22

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 3223

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:44 PM

 TollBros, on 06 February 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

Taylormade M5
Taylormade M2 2016
Cobra F9+
Taylormade M4
Ping G400 LST
Callaway Epic SZ
Cobra LTD Pro
Callaway Epic Flash SZ

Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.

Interesting....M4 is better than M6?

18

#49 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 4,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3331

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:47 PM

 GolfTurkey, on 02 February 2019 - 03:58 AM, said:

Interesting how quickly the hype around the TS drivers has died down. Lots of play on tour (maybe because Titleist is paying for numbers) but pretty quiet around here.

There was only 1 non paid Titleist driver in play last week. You are correct.
http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

19

#50 TollBros

TollBros

    Overseer of the Test Range

  • Sponsors
  • 4,571 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438250
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 3331

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:50 PM

 Krt22, on 06 February 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

 TollBros, on 06 February 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

Taylormade M5
Taylormade M2 2016
Cobra F9+
Taylormade M4
Ping G400 LST
Callaway Epic SZ
Cobra LTD Pro
Callaway Epic Flash SZ

Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.

Interesting....M4 is better than M6?

Slightly lower launch to loft which had some of our guys having a hard time keeping the launch down. Assuming this isn't an issue for you, the performance is on par assuming you can subtract loft. There are a lot of very good drivers. M3, rogue sz, the ts2, etc. I could keep making a list but these are the ones that stood out for one reason or another.

http://www.golfwrx.c...evaluationscom/

Please click the link above for our Sponsor area with rare and Tour only products.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#51 3woodvt

3woodvt

    5 test drives for clubface contact. #footpowder

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 365369
  • Joined: 03/06/2015
  • Location:Roanoke
  • Handicap:2
GolfWRX Likes : 886

Posted 06 February 2019 - 07:55 PM

View PostTollBros, on 06 February 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

Taylormade M5
Taylormade M2 2016
Cobra F9+
Taylormade M4
Ping G400 LST
Callaway Epic SZ
Cobra LTD Pro
Callaway Epic Flash SZ

Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.
Pretty darn goodlooking list
Cobra F9 9.5 Atmos TS Black
Cobra F8+ 14.50 Aldila
Adams A12 17* VTS Proforce 100
Srixon Z945 4-PW KBS Tour 120
Cleveland 2.0 51**,55**,59*
Ping Zing TR
Srixon XV
Lamkin Crosslines w arccos

21

#52 Krt22

Krt22

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,497 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 261822
  • Joined: 07/05/2013
  • Location:East Bay
GolfWRX Likes : 3223

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:02 PM

View PostTollBros, on 06 February 2019 - 07:50 PM, said:

View PostKrt22, on 06 February 2019 - 07:44 PM, said:

View PostTollBros, on 06 February 2019 - 07:43 PM, said:

Taylormade M5
Taylormade M2 2016
Cobra F9+
Taylormade M4
Ping G400 LST
Callaway Epic SZ
Cobra LTD Pro
Callaway Epic Flash SZ

Pick any of those that suits you and you'll be in business. You can add G400 max to the list too if you don't need ultra low spin.

Interesting....M4 is better than M6?

Slightly lower launch to loft which had some of our guys having a hard time keeping the launch down. Assuming this isn't an issue for you, the performance is on par assuming you can subtract loft. There are a lot of very good drivers. M3, rogue sz, the ts2, etc. I could keep making a list but these are the ones that stood out for one reason or another.

ic, so really only an issue for the really high speed guys playing the lowest lofted heads already?

22

#53 Redbird

Redbird

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,794 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 2051
  • Joined: 06/28/2005
  • Location:The burbs of Chicago
GolfWRX Likes : 375

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:07 PM

2016 M2

23

#54 8iron175

8iron175

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 505462
  • Joined: 06/22/2018
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:28 PM

pxg new generation, by far amazing

24

#55 GooseHook

GooseHook

    Keep it Fraiche

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,296 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114119
  • Joined: 09/01/2010
  • Location:Ball-tee-more
GolfWRX Likes : 4417

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:43 PM

Bio Cell + and LTD were years ahead of their time.

SLDR if you're okay with a 230yd miss for every 330yd bomb.

First two years of the M series are all great drivers.

M4 9.5°, Motore Speeder 757
Mizuno ST-180 17°
F9 Speedback 19°
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil  110

Srixon Z785, DG
Mizuno S18 50.07, 54.08 & 58.08


EVNROLL ER3
Z-Star/XV/TP5
Lead Tape

WITB

25

#56 ShooterMcGerin

ShooterMcGerin

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 479568
  • Joined: 08/19/2017
  • Location:California
  • Handicap:2.2
  • Ebay ID:geri-albel
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:52 PM

View Posttcatone5, on 01 February 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

View PostJagpilotohio, on 01 February 2019 - 12:17 PM, said:

I Agree with the previous  posts and add LTD to the list.

There are plenty of great drivers to choose from in recent years.

It's not like the big OEMs spend all this time and money designing new clubs to put out junk.

I think my main question is when there is a new model every year is it worth the $200 extra to get the 2019 model opposed to the 2018 that just went on sale?
Id go with 917s. They are SUPER cheap at the moment

26

#57 platgof

platgof

    platgof

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,338 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125351
  • Joined: 03/27/2011
  • Location:Clarksville, Tenn
  • Handicap:17
  • Ebay ID:platgof
GolfWRX Likes : 342

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:00 PM

I still have my 16 M2, and it is long. Now the Fusion is in the bag, and for the price the Fusion is in its own class. The Fusion Heavy is amazing.
GBB Fusion HT 13.5
GBB XR16 5 & 7 Wd
GBB OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
CF16 6-AW
Glide SW, LW
Ping Redhead D66 or X5R
B330RX

27

#58 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 609

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:44 PM

View Posttcatone5, on 01 February 2019 - 11:56 AM, said:

I currently game the XR16 and still get great distance with it and have been generally happy with it. I am thinking about making a switch to a new driver mainly because the new models came out and last years have gone down in price.

What is the best driver that has come out in the last 5 years?

How much better could the clubs really be getting if they release a new model every year?
The XR16 may be the best driver I've hit. I ended up getting a G400Max, which is a candidate for your poll, certainly. In a fitting attempt with several drivers the XR16 was the longest in the batch...
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Srixon Z Star & Snell MTB Black
Alesian Space Dust IPA

28

#59 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
  • Joined: 03/21/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 609

Posted 06 February 2019 - 09:52 PM

View PostStorms, on 02 February 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

View Postcgasucks, on 01 February 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

View Postmizuno player, on 01 February 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

2016 M2

Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation.  I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).

The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.
My son, 13, absolutely pounded his M2 until the crown cracked. TM sent him an M4...which, after trying it for a couple months, is being pushed aside by a replacement M2 that I found still in the wrapper. First session with it last night at the range...back out to the back of the range again... Great club.
Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Srixon Z Star & Snell MTB Black
Alesian Space Dust IPA

29

#60 Storms

Storms

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 413684
  • Joined: 02/27/2016
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:10.5
GolfWRX Likes : 22

Posted 07 February 2019 - 01:05 AM

View PostBeerPerHole, on 06 February 2019 - 09:52 PM, said:

View PostStorms, on 02 February 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

View Postcgasucks, on 01 February 2019 - 10:25 PM, said:

View Postmizuno player, on 01 February 2019 - 09:55 PM, said:

2016 M2

Technically, ALL drivers have have the same COR on their faces and head sizes because of USGA and R&A restrictions BUT for some reason, I keep seeing the 2016 M2 still being talked about even after its discontinuation.  I'm not saying it's the longest driver made in the last 5 years but it seems to be a little more consistently longer than the others (just a little).

The first gen M series was the first time Taylormade had really lived up to the hype they put out around it since the original RBZ. The M1 and M2 put out really solid numbers for most everyone that tried it, the composite top made it standout in a crowd, and I remember Jason Day putting it in his bag right away and absolutely smashing with it (he was also playing out of his mind at the time). There are also those rumors that float around here about the 8.5* heads being too hot but technically legal, which meant pros were bagging the M2 long past when they would normally switch. This combo of tour presence, excellent numbers, and bag appeal is what has driven it's current cult status. It also helps that Taylormade's current offerings seem to be more centered around marketing and gimmicks (face screws, really lol) than outright performance like the clean, no nonsense 2016 M2 provided.
My son, 13, absolutely pounded his M2 until the crown cracked. TM sent him an M4...which, after trying it for a couple months, is being pushed aside by a replacement M2 that I found still in the wrapper. First session with it last night at the range...back out to the back of the range again... Great club.

Yeah the M2 is a real winner. I actually got my M2 head from a buddy who got the M3 when it came out. He says that he still hasn't hit the M3 as deep as the M2 he gave me lol. He knows he isn't getting it back though

TaylorMade 2016 M2 9.5* HZRDUS Yellow
Titleist 915F 15* Aldila Rouge Black
TaylorMade M1 19* Aldila Rouge Black
Titleist 585H 21* Titleist 4175
TaylorMade Psi Tour 4-PW KBS Tour 120s
Akira Tour Issue 54*
Akira Tour Issue 60*
Scotty Cameron Futura X5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30




Also tagged with driver, best, performance

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors