Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Golf balls

54 replies to this topic

#31 Tannerbug33

Tannerbug33

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464346
GolfWRX Likes : 90

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:09 PM

My son is a fan if Chrome soft. His distance is the same as everyone else's and he loves the way they check on the greens.
But after hearing all this talk we may try some other balls if I can get him to

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89955
  • Ebay ID:yellowlover5
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 02 February 2019 - 12:25 PM

View PostBertGA, on 02 February 2019 - 06:46 AM, said:

View Postsandtrap, on 01 February 2019 - 10:49 PM, said:

A 9 year old should play with what they find or dig out of their parents shag bag. You are goofy if you think they need a pro v

You should mosie on over to the Jr Equip forum.

Theyíre getting fitted for M5s, too!

Other than compression issues, I have no idea why anyone cares if a child is playing a pro v1, newest driver or other equipment.  Re ball - they arenít strong enough to lose them or cut them up with short irons, so they are probably getting more use out of the ball than an adult golfer.  Re driver and other equipment - itís their money so who cares.  While I highly doubt performance changes much between OEMs these days, what does it matter if a junior is playing pxg, Miura, major OEMs or USKG.  

Now if you have a problem with equipment matching the junior bc of weight issues or some other argument that affects their swing, I get it.  But if a kid canít compress a pro v1x bc of compression rating but likes the feel around the greens and generates more spin to hold greens and the parent is willing to spend the extra $20 a box, who cares?  I donít play either ball, but I know my son had longer measured tee shots with the pro v1x than the project (a) even though the latter matches his compression.  We play neither and have moved to a different ball, but I just donít get the hate...

#33 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:40 PM

I am curious to what everyoneís thought on why titliest says swing speed doesnít matter for their balls. Iíve seen them advertise it a lot. I can find a link somewhere but I am sure others have heard it too.

I know other ball manufacturers all say swing speed matters. So someone is lying. I would say titliest but they do have  a ton of market share and everyone else fights for scraps.

Edited by tiger1873, 03 February 2019 - 06:51 PM.

#34 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2557

Posted 03 February 2019 - 06:53 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 03 February 2019 - 06:40 PM, said:

I am curious to what everyone’s thought on why titliest says swing speed doesn’t matter for their balls. I’ve seen them advertise it a lot. I can find a link somewhere but I am sure others have heard it too.

I know other ball manufacturers all say swing speed matters. So someone is lying. I would say titliest but they do have  a ton of market share and everyone else fights for scraps.

Money....  Market Share

#35 BeerPerHole

BeerPerHole

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 906 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 459940
GolfWRX Likes : 607

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:23 PM

I'd certainly let the kiddo try the Srixon Q Star Tour.

Ping G400 Max, 8-degrees, tour stiff
Mizuno JPX900 Forged irons
Srixon Z Star & Snell MTB Black
Alesian Space Dust IPA

#36 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1324

Posted 03 February 2019 - 08:40 PM

https://youtu.be/BdRh-rd-Mq0

#37 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 03 February 2019 - 10:35 PM

View Postleezer99, on 03 February 2019 - 08:40 PM, said:

Here is what Titleist says

https://youtu.be/6TA1s1oNpbk

I will add this disclaimer Personally I donít like Wilson balls I just think there not the best company for manufacturing tolerances. I like Callaway Bridgestone and titeist personally

#38 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 479

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:28 AM

Wilson known for low compression balls says it matters, Titleist says it doesn’t it doesn’t matter.

Has anyone done an independent testing with trackman???  The few times I’ve let her hit higher compression balls I’ve seen no distance difference abs of course increased spin on shorter shots with higher compression balls.

Interesting videos but they seem more like marketing videos than facts

I should add my daughter currently plays a marshmallow ball.

Edited by darter79, 04 February 2019 - 07:50 AM.

#39 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 07:38 AM

I would say ball compression and dimple pattern do matter.  They say for pros itís the hardest equipment change and pros are all over the place on the type of ball they choose with the only commonality being a urethane cover for spin into greens.  On Fehrety, Johnny Miller thought you could solve the distance debate by making the dimples uniform and limiting depth of dimples a la the old balls so that side spin separated the great ball strikes from the elite.

But I donít believe lower compression alone means longer distances.  Distance is a function of launch and spin rate.  This varies considerably depending on swing and swing speed.  I think some people may feel like a lower compression provides more distance because they can feel the ball being mushed, when it may make no difference at all.  I thought the Titleist video was quite convincing.

Edited by yellowlover519, 04 February 2019 - 07:40 AM.

#40 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:04 AM

View Postyellowlover519, on 04 February 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

I would say ball compression and dimple pattern do matter.  They say for pros it's the hardest equipment change and pros are all over the place on the type of ball they choose with the only commonality being a urethane cover for spin into greens.  On Fehrety, Johnny Miller thought you could solve the distance debate by making the dimples uniform and limiting depth of dimples a la the old balls so that side spin separated the great ball strikes from the elite.

But I don't believe lower compression alone means longer distances.  Distance is a function of launch and spin rate.  This varies considerably depending on swing and swing speed.  I think some people may feel like a lower compression provides more distance because they can feel the ball being mushed, when it may make no difference at all.  I thought the Titleist video was quite convincing.

A couple of points to this...

That it matters to the pros doesn't mean it will matter to the masses, unless you are a highly skilled amateur. They are 3 levels beyond the average golfer. Their consistency and power and ability to make that little white ball dance is remarkable.

I can't say that the pro, unless they are doing a blinded test, is truly making an objective decision on the ball they use, any more than you or I or my daughter. They try balls and they know exactly what ball they are using. If they have an emotional feeling about a ball, it could possibly influence their decision. Unless they are blinded to the ball they use during testing, they are susceptible to that bias. Maybe not as much as your or me, but it can still influence.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:26 AM

BertGA, on 04 February 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

yellowlover519, on 04 February 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

I would say ball compression and dimple pattern do matter.  They say for pros it's the hardest equipment change and pros are all over the place on the type of ball they choose with the only commonality being a urethane cover for spin into greens.  On Fehrety, Johnny Miller thought you could solve the distance debate by making the dimples uniform and limiting depth of dimples a la the old balls so that side spin separated the great ball strikes from the elite.

But I don't believe lower compression alone means longer distances.  Distance is a function of launch and spin rate.  This varies considerably depending on swing and swing speed.  I think some people may feel like a lower compression provides more distance because they can feel the ball being mushed, when it may make no difference at all.  I thought the Titleist video was quite convincing.

That it matters to the pros doesn't mean it will matter to the masses, unless you are a highly skilled amateur. They are 3 levels beyond the average golfer. Their consistency and power and ability to make that little white ball dance is remarkable.

I can't say that the pro, unless they are doing a blinded test, is truly making an objective decision on the ball they use, any more than you or I or my daughter. They try balls and they know exactly what ball they are using. If they have an emotional feeling about a ball, it could possibly influence their decision. Unless they are blinded to the ball they use during testing, they are susceptible to that bias. Maybe not as much as your or me, but it can still influence.

if i play this ball i get $1M if i play that ball i get $750K yeah pretty easy decision for them to make. I would have a bias as well

#42 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 09:26 AM

I tried balls both with my kids and myself. I honestly have never found that much difference off the tee. I know though a ball too soft for sure causes a problem. Anytime I personally hit one of my wife's lady pink balls there is no telling where it goes. So I tend to think a ball too soft is more of an issue then anything else. Most balls thankfully are not this way.

I hate paying the price of Prov1's there too expensive but I always had the best days on the course with them. Same thing with my kids when ever I try them they seem to putt better. In fact every multilayer ball that is $4 seem to work better for my kids and wife as well around the greens.  I tried them all and  lately come to the conclusion that I need to buy more used premium balls to save money and just buy the new ones for tournaments. Honestly i don't think you can wrong with a Chomesoft, RX or Prov1 ball.  All of them are way to expensive but they all seem to work about the same.

#43 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:13 AM

tiger1873, on 04 February 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

I tried balls both with my kids and myself. I honestly have never found that much difference off the tee. I know though a ball too soft for sure causes a problem. Anytime I personally hit one of my wife's lady pink balls there is no telling where it goes. So I tend to think a ball too soft is more of an issue then anything else. Most balls thankfully are not this way.

I hate paying the price of Prov1's there too expensive but I always had the best days on the course with them. Same thing with my kids when ever I try them they seem to putt better. In fact every multilayer ball that is $4 seem to work better for my kids and wife as well around the greens.  I tried them all and  lately come to the conclusion that I need to buy more used premium balls to save money and just buy the new ones for tournaments. Honestly i don't think you can wrong with a Chomesoft, RX or Prov1 ball.  All of them are way to expensive but they all seem to work about the same.

buying used balls for practice is ok however just note they don't preform the same way. Any urethane ball submerged in water won't perform the same after a few hours.

#44 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:00 AM

BertGA, on 04 February 2019 - 09:04 AM, said:

yellowlover519, on 04 February 2019 - 07:38 AM, said:

This is actually my point.  The ball characteristics mean more to an elite ball striker than a junior.  The tour level balls are developed with the pro in mind.  The elite ball striker actually takes advantages of the different layers.  A junior is inconsistent and lacks the swing speed to matter enough to pick a ball soley on the ability to compress.

Do you think Tiger went to Bridgestone for the money? TM wouldnít have matched that contract?  Rickie switched to TM for the money?

#45 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:35 AM

darter79, on 04 February 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

tiger1873, on 04 February 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

buying used balls for practice is ok however just note they don't preform the same way. Any urethane ball submerged in water won't perform the same after a few hours.

I agree you should never use a Used unknown ball in a tournament. Heck you should be switching out a new ball during a round every few holes too. After the round  inspect them and cull any balls with imperfections tournaments.

#46 its_ikon

its_ikon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 475822
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:23 PM

I happen to do switch between two balls for my son (8 years old). Using Skytrak I have noticed different spin rates which has prompted that decision. My son was playing the Srixon Q-Star, but it was spinning a lot and not going as far. His driver is a Callaway Epic with a women's shaft and no weights. We played around with other balls like ProV1, Supersoft, ChromSoft, Bridgestone, etc. The best numbers have been with Snell MTB Black and Snell Get Sum. We will play MTB Black most of the time for a bit more control, but if it's a long hole or weather comes into play we use Get Sum. Get Sum is longer off driver, but as they advertise it is not as good at holding the greens.

#47 golfrl

golfrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 520566
GolfWRX Likes : 4

Posted 04 February 2019 - 10:47 PM

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Looks like a controversial subject.

Thought I mention here, we tried other brands both soft and super soft and Titleist prov1x hit the farthest. I‚Äôll give couple others mentioned here a try.  My primary concern was windy days.

Question - what would one expect in performance difference in yardage for juniors with SS 70mph for various compression types?

Edited by golfrl, 04 February 2019 - 10:51 PM.

#48 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:04 PM

Don't change balls, unless maybe winter time and that ProV1x feels like a rock.
Try to keep the number of variables to a minimum.  Golf is already difficult as is.  

If headwind, club up.  If downwind, club down.
If you have an adjustable driver, maybe look into lowering the loft.  That way you're not changing your short game or putting.

Edited by mrshinsa, 05 February 2019 - 12:39 AM.

#49 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 692 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 720

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:08 PM

golfrl, on 04 February 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

Thought I mention here, we tried other brands both soft and super soft and Titleist prov1x hit the farthest. I’ll give couple others mentioned here a try.  My primary concern was windy days.

What protocol did you follow for testing the different balls? Were you on a Trackman to determine distance?

#50 golfrl

golfrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 11:28 PM

We tried them during practice rounds.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#51 hangontight

hangontight

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 361

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:13 PM

TItleist AVX anyone ?  Found a new one the other day so put it in play for a practice round the other day. Side by side - it Out drove the Trusty Chrome soft on every hole he played.  Spin seemed as good As well.  Anyoneís junior play it?

Edited by hangontight, 07 February 2019 - 07:13 PM.

#52 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,215 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1324

Posted 07 February 2019 - 07:33 PM

Gotta be honest, the only ball I'm excited to try is the new Mizuno line of balls.

#53 golfrl

golfrl

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2019 - 09:51 PM

Good to know the comparison with chrome soft. Titleist AVX was on our list to try as well along with others.

Edited by golfrl, 10 February 2019 - 02:02 PM.

#54 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 07 February 2019 - 11:27 PM

hangontight, on 07 February 2019 - 07:13 PM, said:

TItleist AVX anyone ?  Found a new one the other day so put it in play for a practice round the other day. Side by side - it Out drove the Trusty Chrome soft on every hole he played.  Spin seemed as good As well.  Anyone's junior play it?

We didn't like it as it didn't stop as well as chromesoft on approach shots.
YMMV, as I've seen good players use them.

#55 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 193 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2019 - 09:47 AM

golfrl, on 04 February 2019 - 10:47 PM, said:

Thanks everyone for all the feedback. Looks like a controversial subject.

Thought I mention here, we tried other brands both soft and super soft and Titleist prov1x hit the farthest. I‚Äôll give couple others mentioned here a try.  My primary concern was windy days.

Question - what would one expect in performance difference in yardage for juniors with SS 70mph for various compression types?

At that swing speed, I think the compression distance gains off the tee is going to be minimal (maybe less than 5 yards).  If your child prefers the feel of a softer/mushier ball, go something like the duoU, but thatís going to be more of a feel issue rather than actual performance.  However, shots into the green/around the green will be different between premium and non-premium ball with the former generating considerable more spin.  If you want to maximize distance off the tee at that swing speed, try to get his launch to 15-18* with 3000-3500 spin; that will be more beneficial than a ball.

With someone that has a high swing speed, the ball characteristics matter much more off the tee.  Tiger could gain 8-10 yards easily with a tpx-5, but it seems like he prefers the spinnier Bridgestone that he uses (this was a topic of discussion with Ryder cup partners saying his ball spins a lot more than others theyíre used to).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors