Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

Anyone else alarmed by price increases?


79 replies to this topic

#61 Rory4Pres

Rory4Pres

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 828 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 363997
  • Joined: 02/25/2015
  • Location:Kansas City
  • Handicap:high
GolfWRX Likes : 516

Posted 04 February 2019 - 02:47 PM

I'm actually glad they are raising prices.  The higher they go, the less tempting it becomes to buy new equipment.  In a strange way, it makes me more content with what I have.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#62 BrockPSU

BrockPSU

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 214 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486666
  • Joined: 11/13/2017
  • Location:PA
  • Handicap:+0.3
GolfWRX Likes : 138

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:08 PM

View PostInterpol, on 01 February 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostBrockPSU, on 01 February 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I get there is inflation on everything but the problem is the younger generation coming up through does not have the extra funds to be able to keep buying new clubs.

Why does anyone, let alone the “younger generation”, need to keep buying new clubs?

You don’t start out playing any sport needing to use the newest and best equipment available.  Like I said above, there is a very healthy used and secondhand market out there.

I have been playing this game for 15 years already and still in my 20's. So why am I not aloud to buy new equipment but the older generations are? And Like I have said the cost of equipment has lead me to this site, which means my equipment is from the used and secondhand market.

When younger kids walk into a golf store and immediately see the cost of clubs, what do you think their first impressions of the game are? I am talking about kids in high school. Most will probably say I cant afford this and probably shouldn't ever look into taking the game serious. Which leads to a lack of income coming into the industry and also the lack of people playing the game. Just my thought on what is going on, at least at my club. Most clubs will start closing down because they cant make money without people playing. Maybe this is just my area.
TS3 AD DI 6x
915 F AD DI 8x
716 T-MB 3 AD DI Hybrid 95x
716 T-MB 4 Project x 6.5
716 CB 5-6 Project x 6.5
716 MB 7-PW Project x 6.5
SM6 46 F Grind Project x 6.0(in rotation)
SM7 50 F Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 L Grind Project x 6.0
Scotty Cameron Tour Rat R&D Proto Concept 1

2

#63 CAGOFORIT

CAGOFORIT

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15056
  • Joined: 05/26/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 04 February 2019 - 05:13 PM

First of all, I encourage anyone that can afford it to continue buying the latest and greatest.  More stock for me to chose from in the secondary market.

I agree with others that have already said what I am going to say.  Over the past decade, the prices of the latest and greatest for the top manufacturers has relatively remained constant adjusted for inflation.   There are years where everything gets a bit of a bump up in price, but new Drivers have been in the $400-500 range for a while if you wanted one.  Volkeys have been $130 for years, and $300 for a new putter was not outrageous.  I am typically at least 1 year behind if and when I decide to upgrade a club.  I have given up trying to buy a better swing and have focused more on practice and playing at better courses.  2 more yards on irons and 5 more yards on a wood have no real bearing on my game.   If anything, I waste time dialing in new clubs and getting used to them.

3

#64 ckay

ckay

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,543 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14808
  • Joined: 05/15/2006
  • Location:NYC
GolfWRX Likes : 1033

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:46 PM

View Postcardoustie, on 31 January 2019 - 04:05 PM, said:

I can still remember paying $700 for Titleist tour model blades in 1985
Did you really just compare $700 from 1985 to $700 to 2019?
Taylormade M4 440 10* Tensei White Pro 60TX
Taylormade M2 Tour 16.5* Atmos Blue 7x
Taylormade M2 L.I.F.T. 2 KBS Hybrid Proto 85x
Miura CB57 Nippon SPB X
Vokey CF 52F/56M/60M S400 Onyx
Cameron Cami & Co Newport Beach 34/350

WITB Link

4

#65 Bece2117

Bece2117

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 573 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 165235
  • Joined: 02/21/2012
  • Location:Massachusetts
  • Handicap:5.0
  • Ebay ID:bece2117
GolfWRX Likes : 412

Posted 04 February 2019 - 06:49 PM

$399 for a TM M5 Fairway is absolute insanity if you ask me, there are other ways I would like to describe it but my post would be removed.....

Cobra Forged Tec Black 4-G
Callaway MD4 Raw 54/58
Nike Vapor Speed 3 Iron Aldila Tour Blue
Cobra F8 14.5 Aldila NV Green
Cobra F8+ 8.5 Aldila NV Green
Rife Vault 001

5

#66 Mych

Mych

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Joined: 06/03/2012
  • Location:SE Houston/Galv
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 827

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:22 AM

I have a couple of friends who insist on taking the plastic off of every club. One is buying a set of Tommy Armour's because they "felt just like the $1000 clubs". I've tried forever to get him to go for a set of lightly used clubs from 2-3 seasons ago, but he's not budging. To each his own.

For me, I can't remember the last time I took the plastic off a club. It's probably been 5+ years. I'm more than content buying stuff that's a couple years old for 1/3 of the retail price or less.
"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead

Main bag: Posted Image Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Posted Image JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W

6 club minimalist: Posted Image King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ King 50-V wedge ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W~ Silo Club Carrier

6

#67 third-times-a-charm

third-times-a-charm

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464568
  • Joined: 04/22/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 722

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:28 AM

View PostMych, on 06 February 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

I have a couple of friends who insist on taking the plastic off of every club. One is buying a set of Tommy Armour's because they "felt just like the $1000 clubs". I've tried forever to get him to go for a set of lightly used clubs from 2-3 seasons ago, but he's not budging. To each his own.

For me, I can't remember the last time I took the plastic off a club. It's probably been 5+ years. I'm more than content buying stuff that's a couple years old for 1/3 of the retail price or less.

I can deal with a little bit of wear on a used club but I try to buy 1-2 seasons old stuff as new on clearance or very lightly used. Irons are my biggest peeve - i can't play nicked up used dirty irons, especially with bad wear spots. I need to 'make my marks on them' with my swing pattern or else mentally I will never take to them. So I usually buy irons from CPO as like new or NOS from a retailer.

Edited by third-times-a-charm, 06 February 2019 - 10:28 AM.

Long Live Nike

7

#68 sandtrap

sandtrap

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 747 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115880
  • Joined: 10/07/2010
  • Location:Warrenville IL
  • Ebay ID:sandtrap14
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:44 AM

Yesterday a guy comes into the store and wants a new hybrid. He hits a few different models and through process of elimination chooses to order a Titleist. I walk him to the register, The price out the door is $324 and change. The kid asks if this is for a whole set?:) No, One hybrid, yes the prices are out of whack.

8

#69 Mych

Mych

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Joined: 06/03/2012
  • Location:SE Houston/Galv
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 827

Posted 06 February 2019 - 10:49 AM

View Postthird-times-a-charm, on 06 February 2019 - 10:28 AM, said:

View PostMych, on 06 February 2019 - 10:22 AM, said:

I have a couple of friends who insist on taking the plastic off of every club. One is buying a set of Tommy Armour's because they "felt just like the $1000 clubs". I've tried forever to get him to go for a set of lightly used clubs from 2-3 seasons ago, but he's not budging. To each his own.

For me, I can't remember the last time I took the plastic off a club. It's probably been 5+ years. I'm more than content buying stuff that's a couple years old for 1/3 of the retail price or less.

I can deal with a little bit of wear on a used club but I try to buy 1-2 seasons old stuff as new on clearance or very lightly used. Irons are my biggest peeve - i can't play nicked up used dirty irons, especially with bad wear spots. I need to 'make my marks on them' with my swing pattern or else mentally I will never take to them. So I usually buy irons from CPO as like new or NOS from a retailer.

I agree. You can see from my signature that there's no garbage in my bag. All total, I'm at about $650-700 and if I sold everything I could get almost all of that money back. In fact, if I sold a year from now I could probably still get most of that money back because somebody else took the big new-club depreciation hit. People who are patient and find the right clubs at the right prices can change equipment quite often without spending a ton of money every year.

Edited by Mych, 06 February 2019 - 10:50 AM.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead

Main bag: Posted Image Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Posted Image JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W

6 club minimalist: Posted Image King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ King 50-V wedge ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W~ Silo Club Carrier

9

#70 Mych

Mych

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Joined: 06/03/2012
  • Location:SE Houston/Galv
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 827

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:11 AM

View PostBrockPSU, on 04 February 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

View PostInterpol, on 01 February 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

View PostBrockPSU, on 01 February 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I get there is inflation on everything but the problem is the younger generation coming up through does not have the extra funds to be able to keep buying new clubs.

Why does anyone, let alone the “younger generation”, need to keep buying new clubs?

You don’t start out playing any sport needing to use the newest and best equipment available.  Like I said above, there is a very healthy used and secondhand market out there.

I have been playing this game for 15 years already and still in my 20's. So why am I not aloud to buy new equipment but the older generations are? And Like I have said the cost of equipment has lead me to this site, which means my equipment is from the used and secondhand market.

When younger kids walk into a golf store and immediately see the cost of clubs, what do you think their first impressions of the game are? I am talking about kids in high school. Most will probably say I cant afford this and probably shouldn't ever look into taking the game serious. Which leads to a lack of income coming into the industry and also the lack of people playing the game. Just my thought on what is going on, at least at my club. Most clubs will start closing down because they cant make money without people playing. Maybe this is just my area.

I agree that the cost is a huge limiting factor. I've looked into memberships every year for the last decade, and could never pull the trigger on one because even the young executive level meant sacrificing something for my family. I don't know if I'd say it's a deterrent for golf in general, but it does force people to be more creative about how they access equipment and courses that aren't budget-friendly for early-career adults.

With regard to the prices, I think the release cycles and the constant upgrading are what make the prices seem unreasonable. TV, car, and cell phone companies come out with new models that have new features every year and most people don't feel compelled to upgrade those on a yearly basis. The prices are high, but the prices really only get unreasonable if your upgrade cycle is too short. If you trade every phone/car in for the newest model, you're absorbing the largest amount of depreciation every year. We tend to treat golf clubs like consumables and they probably shouldn't be.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead

Main bag: Posted Image Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Posted Image JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W

6 club minimalist: Posted Image King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ King 50-V wedge ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W~ Silo Club Carrier

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#71 Togatown22

Togatown22

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14577
  • Joined: 05/05/2006
  • Location:Saratoga Springs, NY
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:togatown22
GolfWRX Likes : 1485

Posted 06 February 2019 - 11:54 AM

If someone chooses to, a lot of money can be spent on new gear each season; regardless of sport.  
It's really not that different than other hobbies/ pursuits like fly fishing, skiing and snowboarding, etc.  The new stuff that comes out is never cheaper; that is not unique to golf.
Rogue 10.5 Graphite Design AD TP 6S
Rogue 15 PX Even Flow Blue S
816H1 19 Motore Speeder 8.8 S
718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
Futura 5.5W

11

#72 blink3665

blink3665

    #TwistFaceExperience

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,396 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132182
  • Joined: 07/02/2011
  • Location:Seattle
GolfWRX Likes : 2109

Posted 06 February 2019 - 08:13 PM

 Rory4Pres, on 04 February 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

I'm actually glad they are raising prices.  The higher they go, the less tempting it becomes to buy new equipment.  In a strange way, it makes me more content with what I have.
I love the idea of owning the m5 fairway... but I'm not forking over $400.  lol

I'm not even gonna touch the 'inflation' or 'r&d' arguments.  I'm not smart enough for all that.  Do I think that the price of current cycle equipment can be prohibitively expensive for people new to the game?  Absolutely.  Do I think that people that are new to the game should go into a golf shop and buy the latest greatest equipment?  Probably not.  I have a friend who is just getting into the game.  He got a used set of irons from Play-it-again.  He filled out the rest of his bag from ebay and online shopping from previous years models.

Golf shops sell equipment.  They are going to try to get you to buy the latest and greatest.  Equipment manufacturers sell equipment.  They will try to get you to buy the latest and greatest.  We have products pushed on us from every angle with advertisements on TV, social media, print ads, internet ads, everywhere.  Just because they try to sell you the newest thing doesnt mean that you have to buy it.  Does it make you feel awesome to unsheathe the newest badest driver on the block on the first tee?  Probably.  Did a salesperson or advertisement just peg you and have you spend more than you needed to in order to launch a golf ball down the fairway?  Yup.  If it makes you feel good?  Buy it.  If you can't afford it?  Don't.
Srixon z785 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65 /  / Taylormade M4 9.5* EvenFlow Handcrafted Blue 65
Taylormade M3 HL MFS5 White Tie 60S -0.75" (42.5")
Taylormade M4 19* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (40.25")
Taylormade M4 22* UST Proforce V2h R -0.5" (39.75")
Srixon 545 - 5-PW - 2* flat - Modus3 120s - Best Grips Classic

Cleveland CBX 48* +1* loft - -0.75" - 2* flat
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 54* mid, 58* xlow  -0.75" - 2* flat // TM Hi Toe 58* 2* flat
Slighter Proto 1 - #9/Del Mar design - High Toe - Long neck - Deep Milled face - 33", 370gr, lie 71*, loft 4*
Odyssey OWorks 2ball - 32"
GolfWRX (Nike Collegiate) bag (White) / Nike HyperAdapt

WITB Link

12

#73 A.Princey

A.Princey

    Major Hacker

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,823 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 396630
  • Joined: 09/20/2015
  • Location:Twilight Zone
  • Handicap:3
GolfWRX Likes : 1016

Posted 07 February 2019 - 08:21 PM

People cherry-picking one or 2 items from a given year  gone by(to base past pricing as high or higher than now) aren't getting it.  The entire spectrum of brands and releases are high now, that's the difference. It's not just one or two items, it's the entirety of the equipment realm.
Ping G 10.5*, Fuji Pro 63-R 43"
'16 M1 3w HL 17*, Xcon 7-S(untipped) 41"
Ping Rapture 3i, AWT-R
Ping G25 4-G, DG-R400
Vokey 56(57*), 60(63*) DG-R400
Byron DH89 Longneck 33" (or any of 10 other putters...)

13

#74 augustgolf

augustgolf

    Golf with dignity

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,783 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
  • Location:Coastal NC
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 4482

Posted 07 February 2019 - 10:21 PM

 Mych, on 06 February 2019 - 11:11 AM, said:

 BrockPSU, on 04 February 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

 Interpol, on 01 February 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

 BrockPSU, on 01 February 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

I get there is inflation on everything but the problem is the younger generation coming up through does not have the extra funds to be able to keep buying new clubs.

Why does anyone, let alone the “younger generation”, need to keep buying new clubs?

You don’t start out playing any sport needing to use the newest and best equipment available.  Like I said above, there is a very healthy used and secondhand market out there.

I have been playing this game for 15 years already and still in my 20's. So why am I not aloud to buy new equipment but the older generations are? And Like I have said the cost of equipment has lead me to this site, which means my equipment is from the used and secondhand market.

When younger kids walk into a golf store and immediately see the cost of clubs, what do you think their first impressions of the game are? I am talking about kids in high school. Most will probably say I cant afford this and probably shouldn't ever look into taking the game serious. Which leads to a lack of income coming into the industry and also the lack of people playing the game. Just my thought on what is going on, at least at my club. Most clubs will start closing down because they cant make money without people playing. Maybe this is just my area.

I agree that the cost is a huge limiting factor. I've looked into memberships every year for the last decade, and could never pull the trigger on one because even the young executive level meant sacrificing something for my family. I don't know if I'd say it's a deterrent for golf in general, but it does force people to be more creative about how they access equipment and courses that aren't budget-friendly for early-career adults.

With regard to the prices, I think the release cycles and the constant upgrading are what make the prices seem unreasonable. TV, car, and cell phone companies come out with new models that have new features every year and most people don't feel compelled to upgrade those on a yearly basis. The prices are high, but the prices really only get unreasonable if your upgrade cycle is too short. If you trade every phone/car in for the newest model, you're absorbing the largest amount of depreciation every year. We tend to treat golf clubs like consumables and they probably shouldn't be.
You don't know people that absolutely must have the newest cell phone? If not them, their kids...
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

14

#75 MooJersey

MooJersey

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 473982
  • Joined: 07/05/2017
  • Location:Maryland
GolfWRX Likes : 147

Posted 08 February 2019 - 07:00 AM

Don’t buy brand new.  All of last years stuff that we were drooling over is available at super deep discounts.  Why would you buy a $600 epic flash when you can wait until next March / April and get it for $150 used?

Cobra F8+ Driver  -  EvenFlow Blue
TEE EX10 Beta 3W  -  HZRDUS Red
Cobra Bio Cell 3H

Cobra Bio Cell 4H
Titleist 718 AP2 4-PW, AMT Black
Vokey SM7 50-12 F

Vokey SM7 56-12 F
Odyssey Works 2-Ball

15

#76 hardcaliber

hardcaliber

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 643 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108001
  • Joined: 05/14/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 344

Posted 08 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

The sweet spot to me is to buy last years stuff brand new or barely used. The only time I buy new is when I have random shop credit to burn.

Also, there are a few companies holding the line when it comes to pricing. Mizuno irons are 150 each with nice premium shaft choices and they are offering a 400 dollar driver. We should make a point to reward these companies.

16

#77 soregongolfer

soregongolfer

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 97841
  • Joined: 11/03/2009
  • Location:Roseburg, OR
GolfWRX Likes : 824

Posted 09 February 2019 - 12:02 AM

 Yrrdead, on 01 February 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

 soregongolfer, on 01 February 2019 - 04:44 AM, said:

I am.  It wasn't that long ago when drivers were $299, woods were $249, iron sets were $699 and wedges were $99 or $119.  Prices of new clubs blow me away.

I just feel like these types of statements are deliberately misleading. It doesn't take a lot of searching to find that golf club prices have been flat or negative once adjusted for inflation.

Some quick googling on just a few Callaway releases over the past 10+ years;

GBB -   2015 - $500
BBA -   2014 - $625
RFE -   2013 - $500
RF   -   2012 - $500
FT Tour -2010 - $625
FTiq  - 2008 - $625

Some random iron sets;

XHot Pro -    2012 - $1000
Diablo Forged -    2010 - $1250
Big Bertha - 2008 - $740
Big Bertha - 2006 - $960
Big Bertha Fusion - 2006 - $1280

And those numbers aren't adjusted. So new drivers being $500-600 doesn't seem alarming.

Deliberately?  Hmmm.  I paid $699 for my MP69's five or six years ago.  Oh, brand new as they had just come out.  My Titleist 910 woods were 249 each.  Again, brand new and within the past 10 years.  I think my R9 Superquad for either $299 or $349.  I can't remember.  I used that driver for 7 years.   I bought all of those within the past 10 years and all purchased at a brick and mortar store.  Not used and no discounts.  So, yes, I'll stick with what I said above and the next time you feel the need to call somebody dishonest you had better be correct.

Edited by soregongolfer, 09 February 2019 - 12:05 AM.


17

#78 Togatown22

Togatown22

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,584 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14577
  • Joined: 05/05/2006
  • Location:Saratoga Springs, NY
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:togatown22
GolfWRX Likes : 1485

Posted 09 February 2019 - 08:58 AM

 soregongolfer, on 09 February 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:


Deliberately?  Hmmm.  I paid $699 for my MP69's five or six years ago.  Oh, brand new as they had just come out.  My Titleist 910 woods were 249 each.  Again, brand new and within the past 10 years.  I think my R9 Superquad for either $299 or $349.  I can't remember.  I used that driver for 7 years.   I bought all of those within the past 10 years and all purchased at a brick and mortar store.  Not used and no discounts.  So, yes, I'll stick with what I said above and the next time you feel the need to call somebody dishonest you had better be correct.

The Titleist 910 fairways, at $249 in 2010 when they came out, would be $287 in today's dollars, just google up a CPI inflation calculator.  The new Titleist TS2 fairways that just came out are $299 (plus you can grab Ebates at 4 or 5% at places like Carlsgolfland).  So technically, there really isn't a huge difference there.
Rogue 10.5 Graphite Design AD TP 6S
Rogue 15 PX Even Flow Blue S
816H1 19 Motore Speeder 8.8 S
718 AP3 4,5 DG AWT Black S
718 AP2 6-Gap DG AWT Black S
SM7 54.10M, 58.04L DG TI Onyx S400
Futura 5.5W

18

#79 Yrrdead

Yrrdead

    Better Living Through Chemistry

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,550 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290977
  • Joined: 01/09/2014
  • Location:Newman,CA
  • Handicap:8.9
  • Ebay ID:venekelos
GolfWRX Likes : 780

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:14 AM

 soregongolfer, on 09 February 2019 - 12:02 AM, said:

 Yrrdead, on 01 February 2019 - 05:17 AM, said:

 soregongolfer, on 01 February 2019 - 04:44 AM, said:

I am.  It wasn't that long ago when drivers were $299, woods were $249, iron sets were $699 and wedges were $99 or $119.  Prices of new clubs blow me away.

I just feel like these types of statements are deliberately misleading. It doesn't take a lot of searching to find that golf club prices have been flat or negative once adjusted for inflation.

Some quick googling on just a few Callaway releases over the past 10+ years;

GBB -      2015 - $500
BBA -      2014 - $625
RFE -      2013 - $500
RF   -      2012 - $500
FT Tour -2010 - $625
FTiq  -    2008 - $625

Some random iron sets;

XHot Pro -               2012 - $1000
Diablo Forged -       2010 - $1250
Big Bertha -             2008 - $740
Big Bertha -             2006 - $960
Big Bertha Fusion - 2006 - $1280

And those numbers aren't adjusted. So new drivers being $500-600 doesn't seem alarming.

Deliberately?  Hmmm.  I paid $699 for my MP69's five or six years ago.  Oh, brand new as they had just come out.  My Titleist 910 woods were 249 each.  Again, brand new and within the past 10 years.  I think my R9 Superquad for either $299 or $349.  I can't remember.  I used that driver for 7 years.   I bought all of those within the past 10 years and all purchased at a brick and mortar store.  Not used and no discounts.  So, yes, I'll stick with what I said above and the next time you feel the need to call somebody dishonest you had better be correct.
I wouldn't call misleading dishonesty as much as cherry picking data or anecdotal information.

That being said;

MP69---msrp $899.99 (2011)
R7 Superquad ---msrp $499.99 (2007)
R9 Supertri ---msrp $499.99 (2010)
Epic SZ (-1,N)
X2Hot 17* Hy
Protos 5-PW
MD3 52, PM 58
Metal X #7
http://www.gamegolf.com/player/Yrrdead

19

#80 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,427 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2141

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:50 AM

Leave us not forget we had a depression recession for a minimum of 5 years since 2008 (some might say it's still going on) and the manufacturers are (somewhat) "catching up" ???

The 2010 G15, a "mainstream" driver, launched at MSRP $350 (so I guess the store price was about $300, yes ?). The G400, launched about a year ago, 2018, sold in the stores for $400.

Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
Titleist AVX

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors