Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Tournament Prep - with a small window of prep time

junior golf tournament prep

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1329

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Being that we are all junior golf parents here with kids that go to school (even though we know we should all home school) there is limited time to prepare for those 18 hole weekend events.  Listening to a pod this morning and they addressed getting ready for a weekend event with only about four hours to prep during the week.  Below is the recommendation they came up with but what would your recommendation be? As an aside, this pod wasn't aimed at junior golf parents but rather the recreational men's or women's club players.

- 15 Minutes: Holing out short putts
- 15 Minutes: Distance control on the putting green
- 30 Minutes: Short game (chipping, pitching and bunker play)
- 45 Minutes: Getting tee shots in play (on the range)
- Remainder of time: Play 9 holes

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 723

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:09 PM

Certainly with daylight being short this time of year, practice time needs to be managed. For your list above, I would flip the script. Go play 9 holes (or 4-5 holes) while there is daylight. During that time on the golf course, hit 5-6 balls into each green and a variety of putts, chips, bunker shots around each green.  You can hit the range under the lights later for as long as you need.  We do exactly this on our course....we tend to head out during the last 1 hour of daylight when nobody is on the front 9 and do whatever we need/want to do. We are also fortunate that there is a putting green at the driving range that is under lights.

Not so sure on the home schooling. Have some friends with same age kid as my boy. They were good little friends in Kindergarten. Now they home school their kid. Recently, they are discovering that the lack of socialization is not optimal. They could do a better job of getting their kid social time, but it is difficult. School certainly provides a dynamic of daily socialization that is hard to duplicate.

Edited by wildcatden, 29 January 2019 - 12:09 PM.

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 458

Posted 29 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

I would think most people have limited time this time of year.  I think the list above is a pretty good start.

The issue I see what practice facilities are available to you. If you have a lighted driving range and putting green I would play 9 holes first then head to the range.  For most people playing 9 holes is optimistic this time of year and heading to the range is really the only practical option.  I recall playing golf under lights in California  years but not sure if they still do that.  When I did it though it was crazy fun.

#4 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,219 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1329

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 29 January 2019 - 12:59 PM, said:

I would think most people have limited time this time of year.  I think the list above is a pretty good start.

The issue I see what practice facilities are available to you. If you have a lighted driving range and putting green I would play 9 holes first then head to the range.  For most people playing 9 holes is optimistic this time of year and heading to the range is really the only practical option.  I recall playing golf under lights in California  years but not sure if they still do that.  When I did it though it was crazy fun.

Yep... Westchester has a nighttime golf with lights on course.

#5 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 01:28 PM

View Postleezer99, on 29 January 2019 - 01:25 PM, said:

I used to do the one down in Newport Beach. Short course but fun you sure learn to hit the fairway on those.  I would use glow balls now.

#6 yellowlover519

yellowlover519

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 194 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 89955
  • Ebay ID:yellowlover5
GolfWRX Likes : 100

Posted 29 January 2019 - 05:26 PM

Freezing in nyc/westchester right now.  Actually, pretty funny that you can still find golf courses open in the winter near the city.

#7 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 955 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 06:55 PM

View Postyellowlover519, on 29 January 2019 - 05:26 PM, said:

Freezing in nyc/westchester right now.  Actually, pretty funny that you can still find golf courses open in the winter near the city.

I think he meant westchester in Southern California. Slightly better golf weather there the in in NY.  Never played snow golf but I heard that is fun too.

Edited by tiger1873, 29 January 2019 - 06:56 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors