Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Brandel Chamblee Podcast (EP 1 Tiger vs Jack)

43 replies to this topic

#31 dlygrisse

dlygrisse

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,799 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 16702
GolfWRX Likes : 7306

Posted 09 February 2019 - 02:44 PM

Weird mixing the men and women together. Being that they don’t compete against each other they need their own list.
Inbee Park is better than Arnie?  LOL.

Current 17 club rotation
Callaway GBB/Ping G400
Callaway V Series 3w, HW
Callaway Steelhead 4 and 5 hybrid
Ping G 4-U
Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 54* SS
Vokey 58 M grind
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Jones Utility
ECCO Biom Hybrid 3

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 Pent08

Pent08

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 335339
GolfWRX Likes : 307

Posted 09 February 2019 - 04:19 PM

View Postyoudamantiger, on 28 January 2019 - 01:09 AM, said:

View PostRailroading13, on 27 January 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

Like other sports, modern athletes and players are better, the ironic thing is they are better because the forerunners helped evolved their games. I don't think Jerry West would be a start in todays NBA, I don't think Johnny Unitas would be a starter in the NFL, and I don't think Walter Hagen would win a major today. Equipment or not, todays players are just generally better

Interesting how the scoring average hasn't markedly improved the past 40 years given the vast improvement in course conditions, the relative ease of modern tour life on the body and the mind, and the fact that the modern pro usually has flip wedges into the par fours and rarely faces a par five that they can't reach. If they're so much better, one would think the scoring average would be a lot lower than 71.

As evidenced by the U.S. Open, the scoring average on any given golf course can be easily manipulated. Therefore, it's hard to discount the impact of course setup over time.

#33 Man_O_War

Man_O_War

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,472 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135721
GolfWRX Likes : 1238

Posted 09 February 2019 - 05:28 PM

View PostPent08, on 09 February 2019 - 04:19 PM, said:

View Postyoudamantiger, on 28 January 2019 - 01:09 AM, said:

View PostRailroading13, on 27 January 2019 - 11:41 PM, said:

Like other sports, modern athletes and players are better, the ironic thing is they are better because the forerunners helped evolved their games. I don't think Jerry West would be a start in todays NBA, I don't think Johnny Unitas would be a starter in the NFL, and I don't think Walter Hagen would win a major today. Equipment or not, todays players are just generally better

Interesting how the scoring average hasn't markedly improved the past 40 years given the vast improvement in course conditions, the relative ease of modern tour life on the body and the mind, and the fact that the modern pro usually has flip wedges into the par fours and rarely faces a par five that they can't reach. If they're so much better, one would think the scoring average would be a lot lower than 71.

As evidenced by the U.S. Open, the scoring average on any given golf course can be easily manipulated. Therefore, it's hard to discount the impact of course setup over time.
especially since courses are longer and harder now to accommodate the improvement in play. better athletes, better equipment = modifications on courses...scoring averages etc look similar.
Cobra LTD Pro Project X LZ 6.0 71g HC/ Fuji 661 III
Cobra LTD 3/4  Kai'li 80
Cobra LTD 4/5  Kai'li 80
TM Mid_Rescue TP 22*
Nike Vapor Pro Irons DG 120 S400  4-pw
RTX 3.0 50, 54, 60 Modus 125
Machine LN M6

#34 tacrispy

tacrispy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 388760
GolfWRX Likes : 78

Posted 10 February 2019 - 04:55 PM

I can see why Chamblee could irritate people but honestly, I really enjoy listening to him and his takes. You can't argue how he prepares and golf commentary would be pretty boring without people like He, diaz, and bamberger. He also loves the game and its history.
TM M2 '16 10.5 Projext X Hzrdus 6.5 75Gr
Cobra F8 3wood Aldilla Tour Green XS
Adams A7 3Hybrid Aldilla RIP Alpha XS
Srixon Z745 4-PW Project X 6.5
Callaway MD3 50
Callaway MD3 54,58 S400
Piretti Cottonwood 2
TM TP5 ball

#35 Golfnutgalen

Golfnutgalen

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147351
GolfWRX Likes : 381

Posted 10 February 2019 - 05:04 PM

View Postdlygrisse, on 09 February 2019 - 02:44 PM, said:

Weird mixing the men and women together. Being that they don’t compete against each other they need their own list.
Inbee Park is better than Arnie?  LOL.

In the majors relative to her peers. But as a whole which is way more subjective? Not in a million years.

#36 playar32

playar32

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21507
GolfWRX Likes : 69

Posted 10 February 2019 - 06:50 PM

It's also important to realize that games are different today because they are continually changing.

For example, Lee Trevino was great, would he be great today with his swing?  Probably not.  The game has been geared more toward hitting it long and straight.

Same with football or basketball.  Would Brady since be playing today if they played football like they did in the 40s, handing it off and throwing blocks?

#37 CrushSticks

CrushSticks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194408
  • Ebay ID:Fawkesman3000
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:51 PM

View PostNoTalentLefty, on 09 February 2019 - 10:21 AM, said:

Let’s face it , it’s will always depend on opinion when deciding the GOAT.

Guess you couldn’t last a whole year, huh?�
Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
                Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
                Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

#38 Big Cat 3

Big Cat 3

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496308
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 224

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:54 PM

View Posttacrispy, on 10 February 2019 - 04:55 PM, said:

I can see why Chamblee could irritate people but honestly, I really enjoy listening to him and his takes. You can't argue how he prepares and golf commentary would be pretty boring without people like He, diaz, and bamberger. He also loves the game and its history.
okay ... thanks Brandel but you are kind of boring too

#39 NoTalentLefty

NoTalentLefty

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,372 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 204451
GolfWRX Likes : 1495

Posted 11 February 2019 - 04:45 PM

View PostCrushSticks, on 10 February 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Explained in the post.
Livin' proof that Lefties are not naturally talented.

Driver Titleist 913 D3 44 inches also a Cleveland Classic 310 43.5 inches
3 and 5 Wood Ping G15
3-5 Hybrids Cobra Baffler XL
6-GW Titleist AP1s
53 degree Wedge Titleist AP1
58 degree SW Vokey SM6
Putter White Hot V LINE Fang w/round Edel Grip

#40 CrushSticks

CrushSticks

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 194408
  • Ebay ID:Fawkesman3000
GolfWRX Likes : 326

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:02 PM

View PostNoTalentLefty, on 11 February 2019 - 04:45 PM, said:

View PostCrushSticks, on 10 February 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

Explained in the post.

Just messing with you Lefty. Saw your comment here and remembered your name from your original post and had to double check the timeline. Got a chuckle out of it.

Welcome back.

Wilson Fg Tour M3- Black Ops Black Mamba
Adams Tight Lies 3-16
Adams Tight Lies 5-19(Fuji Speeder 7.2)
Wilson FG Tour V4 Utility - 3
                Wilson FG Tour M3 4-GW (Dynamic Gold XP)
                Vokey SM 09 56
Odyssey Versa 1W WBW 34"

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#41 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
GolfWRX Likes : 1430

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:28 PM

I really like the podcast TBH. I was only disappointed to hear them say it's going to be monthly. I get that they want to have actual content, but I kind of thought the whole point of podcasts was that they were relatively easy to produce because so much of the content is just chatter.

Anyhow, I thought they raised some good points including:

Tiger peaked at a higher level than Jack but Nicklaus stuck with (more or less) one swing and thus had a better career.

We are wrong to treat "the majors" like constants when they've been somewhat fluid through the years. Some events, like the Masters, have gained prominence over time. Others, like the Western Open have done the opposite. Still others, like the PGA have simply changed formats. The yearly schedule is not a static thing.

The tour today doesn't penalize erratic driving as it could and thus most of the "big winners" are bombers.
Driver: TaylorMade M3 460
Fairway: TaylorMade M3 HL Fwy
Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli Hi (2)

Irons: Titleist 716 T-MB (4, 5), 716 MB (6-P)
Wedges: Vokey SM6  52.12 (F)  /  56.14 (F)  /  60.10 (S)
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball Red

#42 Barfolomew

Barfolomew

#worstWRXer

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,116 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379468
GolfWRX Likes : 470

Posted 13 February 2019 - 01:25 PM

Inbee kickin Arnies a$$ has got to make for great shiii talkin for her when she's chuggin beers with her friends out on the links...
G30 LS
M2 BMW
XR 4 Hybrid
OnOffOnAgain Kuros
Cleveland Blob
Square Strike
SeeMore Butts

#43 Golfnutgalen

Golfnutgalen

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,228 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 147351
GolfWRX Likes : 381

Posted 13 February 2019 - 07:21 PM

View PostMelloYello, on 12 February 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

I really like the podcast TBH. I was only disappointed to hear them say it's going to be monthly. I get that they want to have actual content, but I kind of thought the whole point of podcasts was that they were relatively easy to produce because so much of the content is just chatter.

Anyhow, I thought they raised some good points including:

Tiger peaked at a higher level than Jack but Nicklaus stuck with (more or less) one swing and thus had a better career.

We are wrong to treat "the majors" like constants when they've been somewhat fluid through the years. Some events, like the Masters, have gained prominence over time. Others, like the Western Open have done the opposite. Still others, like the PGA have simply changed formats. The yearly schedule is not a static thing.

The tour today doesn't penalize erratic driving as it could and thus most of the "big winners" are bombers.

I thought the podcast was quite enjoyable as well...we might be the only ones that listened to the whole thing though! I found it a bit funny that Brandel was pointing out that Walter Hagen should be considered in the same caliber as Tiger and Jack while bemoaning the erratic driving of today's players. After all, Hagen was considered a bomb and gouger in his day which infuriated Bobby Jones when they played together!

I'm reading Felber's book and I find it quite enjoyable because it covers the lives and achievements of past player who usually go unmentioned. The manner which the author tackles match play events is quite unusual and possibly bogus, but I guess it's better than just ignoring those early tournaments entirely. The author does reduce the value of the two Amateur (US and British Amateur) events by 50% because the level of competition relative to the Pro ones (US Open and PGA) and of course excludes them entirely from the post WWII era.  The author pretty much doesn't even mention the strength of field and makes the assumption that nothing has really changed while comparing 2007 to 2017 outside of the fact that Tiger is no longer top dog. The reason he does this is because he only really focuses on the top players of each event while practically ignoring the rest of the field a critical error in my opinion. I for one did not know that the early women's "Majors" had 25-60 competitors and of course the early Open Championships had around 7-20. The fact that non-majors are given zero value is perhaps even worse, but it would have required quite the undertaking without enough data for the earlier players.

I do wish he had used more than 5 years to determine a peak score for the best 25 players of all time. Yani Tseng's inclusion nearly equal to Jack and Arnie looks ridiculous in retrospect.

#44 MelloYello

MelloYello

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,789 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 152687
GolfWRX Likes : 1430

Posted 14 February 2019 - 09:45 AM

View PostGolfnutgalen, on 13 February 2019 - 07:21 PM, said:

I thought the podcast was quite enjoyable as well...we might be the only ones that listened to the whole thing though! I found it a bit funny that Brandel was pointing out that Walter Hagen should be considered in the same caliber as Tiger and Jack while bemoaning the erratic driving of today's players. After all, Hagen was considered a bomb and gouger in his day which infuriated Bobby Jones when they played together!

Wow, I did not know that--interesting.

I'm reading Felber's book and I find it quite enjoyable because it covers the lives and achievements of past player who usually go unmentioned. The manner which the author tackles match play events is quite unusual and possibly bogus, but I guess it's better than just ignoring those early tournaments entirely. The author does reduce the value of the two Amateur (US and British Amateur) events by 50% because the level of competition relative to the Pro ones (US Open and PGA) and of course excludes them entirely from the post WWII era.  The author pretty much doesn't even mention the strength of field and makes the assumption that nothing has really changed while comparing 2007 to 2017 outside of the fact that Tiger is no longer top dog. The reason he does this is because he only really focuses on the top players of each event while practically ignoring the rest of the field a critical error in my opinion. I for one did not know that the early women's "Majors" had 25-60 competitors and of course the early Open Championships had around 7-20. The fact that non-majors are given zero value is perhaps even worse, but it would have required quite the undertaking without enough data for the earlier players.

I do wish he had used more than 5 years to determine a peak score for the best 25 players of all time. Yani Tseng's inclusion nearly equal to Jack and Arnie looks ridiculous in retrospect.

I didn't look at the actual list but in general I think it's probably all but impossible to rank golfers in a way that will please people.

It all depends on the metric, the selection of which can wildly impact the results. I agree about the Yani Tseng thing. She was dominating...right up until she fell off the face of the planet, haha! And that brings up the issue of whether you're going by high-water marks (i.e. significant wins) or averaging things out over time, in which case big fall-offs matter.

The are a million variables to account for, so it's almost pointless unless you have a player like say Nicklaus or Snead who have a lot of everything: wins, majors, high finishes, great driving and putting, longevity, etc.
Driver: TaylorMade M3 460
Fairway: TaylorMade M3 HL Fwy
Hybrid: Mizuno MP Fli Hi (2)

Irons: Titleist 716 T-MB (4, 5), 716 MB (6-P)
Wedges: Vokey SM6  52.12 (F)  /  56.14 (F)  /  60.10 (S)
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 2-Ball Red

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors