Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Jacksonville Florida Guy Trip October advice please

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 golfjules

golfjules

Always striving to get better

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83266
  • Handicap:13.9
  • Ebay ID:golfjules0314
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 25 January 2019 - 11:56 PM

Hey guys! Taking a buddy trip to JAX in October. Wanting some advice on a general area to rent an Airbnb. We donít mind driving any direction 30-45 mins to golf but would like to be close to dining/drinks at night to make it Uber easy. Downtown vs a beach area. Emphasis on nightlife/excellent dining. Not looking to go clubbing or party. Age of group mid 30s-40s.

Also anyone play Osprey across the state line? Any suggestions not named TPC. We arenít paying those ridiculous greens fees.

Thank you!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 geauxtigers777

geauxtigers777

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 54 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 478250
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 29

Posted 26 January 2019 - 06:54 AM

golfjules, on 25 January 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Hey guys! Taking a buddy trip to JAX in October. Wanting some advice on a general area to rent an Airbnb. We don’t mind driving any direction 30-45 mins to golf but would like to be close to dining/drinks at night to make it Uber easy. Downtown vs a beach area. Emphasis on nightlife/excellent dining. Not looking to go clubbing or party. Age of group mid 30s-40s.

Also anyone play Osprey across the state line? Any suggestions not named TPC. We aren’t paying those ridiculous greens fees.

Thank you!
Don't stay downtown. I would recommend PV area or Neptune Beach. Good courses are King and Bear, Omni oak Marsh, Dye Valley can be fairly priced on tee off occasionally, North Hampton, St. John Golf, Osprey Point is a fun course.

#3 Jdhbbt

Jdhbbt

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 181038
  • Ebay ID:Jdhbbt
GolfWRX Likes : 27

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:39 PM

https://www.stjohnsgolf.com/golf

St. John's (N. St. Augustine) is always in great shape. The greens are very quick, and a fun layout. It's a great deal for the $.
Ping G30 LS TEC Diamana 'Ahina 70x
Cobra Fly Z+ Blueboard 103x
Ping Anser hybrid, 17
Mizuno MP63 C-Taper X
Ping Gorge 52, 56, 60
Ping Redwood ZB

#4 fsutanker

fsutanker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74817
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 28 January 2019 - 07:53 PM

Jdhbbt, on 28 January 2019 - 04:39 PM, said:

https://www.stjohnsgolf.com/golf

St. John's (N. St. Augustine) is always in great shape. The greens are very quick, and a fun layout. It's a great deal for the $.

Can confirm. Donít leave yourself above the hole at St Johns.

As mentioned above, North Hampton is a fun track kind of close to the airport if you are looking to play on arrival or departure day. Havenít played there in a while but was always a fun track. They just redid the bar/dining area and all the bunkers according to their emails. Andrew Jensen on YouTube plays out of there and has done some great on course vlogs with drone footage.

Edited by fsutanker, 28 January 2019 - 07:53 PM.

#5 golfjules

golfjules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:04 AM

geauxtigers777, on 26 January 2019 - 06:54 AM, said:

golfjules, on 25 January 2019 - 11:56 PM, said:

Hey guys! Taking a buddy trip to JAX in October. Wanting some advice on a general area to rent an Airbnb. We don’t mind driving any direction 30-45 mins to golf but would like to be close to dining/drinks at night to make it Uber easy. Downtown vs a beach area. Emphasis on nightlife/excellent dining. Not looking to go clubbing or party. Age of group mid 30s-40s.

Also anyone play Osprey across the state line? Any suggestions not named TPC. We aren’t paying those ridiculous greens fees.

Thank you!
Don't stay downtown. I would recommend PV area or Neptune Beach. Good courses are King and Bear, Omni oak Marsh, Dye Valley can be fairly priced on tee off occasionally, North Hampton, St. John Golf, Osprey Point is a fun course.

Thank you. I booked a place in PV. Plan on playing all you suggested except Valley and possibly Omni if we can find a deal.

#6 golfjules

golfjules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 29 January 2019 - 11:11 AM

I also have a connection at Palencia. Anyone play there?

#7 WarEagleGolf

WarEagleGolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 400664
GolfWRX Likes : 109

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:25 PM

I liked Southampton when I was there.  Not too far and they had good greens.  Have not been there in like 5 yrs so please check before you go and with others on here.  Good layout alot of houses but some unique holes. But when in PV, how can you resist sawgrass?  Had such great times there, 1st class service, course in great shape, caddies make it fun,....and dyes is pretty tough too.  

PING G400 LST Fujikura XLR8 51 9.0*
Callaway XR16 Pro Fujikura XLR8 61 16*
PING i500 3-PW KBS C-Taper Lite 110g
Edel 52*/46* TRP C-Taper Lite 110g
Edel 58* DVR C-Taper Lite 110g
PING Vault Anser2

#8 fsutanker

fsutanker

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74817
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 29 January 2019 - 09:44 PM

WarEagleGolf, on 29 January 2019 - 09:25 PM, said:

I liked Southampton when I was there.  Not too far and they had good greens.  Have not been there in like 5 yrs so please check before you go and with others on here.  Good layout alot of houses but some unique holes. But when in PV, how can you resist sawgrass?  Had such great times there, 1st class service, course in great shape, caddies make it fun,....and dyes is pretty tough too.  

South Hampton is still in great shape and a fun layout. The greens are pure and sometimes sneaky quick. They just redid their practice area and itís top notch.

#9 jaxbeachpackerfan

jaxbeachpackerfan

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 294854
  • Handicap:11.8
GolfWRX Likes : 93

Posted 01 February 2019 - 11:47 PM

PV was a good choice for base, but if you're looking for nightlife action, Jax Beach or Atlantic/Neptune Beach Town Center is where you will want to go.  PV is rich suburban sedate and a 20 minute drive from any decent nightlife.  Course recommendations are right on.  I'd definitely include Southhampton in the list and also add Amelia National if you're willing to drive an hour (also might take a call from your pro to get on).  I can host you on the Stadium or Valley for at least 25% off rack rates, plus no need to take a caddy (saves another $100 or so).  I've done that for about a dozen WRXers over the last couple of years.  Just let me know if you're interested in something like that.  

Personally, if what you are contemplating is typical of guys' golf extravaganzas, I'd stay at the Best Western in Jax Beach.  On the Ocean, mid-tier hotel, so relatively affordable, and in walking (or stumbling) distance of about 25 bars and restaurants.  Also, across the street from my condo.

Edited by jaxbeachpackerfan, 01 February 2019 - 11:47 PM.

#10 golfjules

golfjules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 04 February 2019 - 12:23 PM

jaxbeachpackerfan, on 01 February 2019 - 11:47 PM, said:

PV was a good choice for base, but if you're looking for nightlife action, Jax Beach or Atlantic/Neptune Beach Town Center is where you will want to go.  PV is rich suburban sedate and a 20 minute drive from any decent nightlife.  Course recommendations are right on.  I'd definitely include Southhampton in the list and also add Amelia National if you're willing to drive an hour (also might take a call from your pro to get on).  I can host you on the Stadium or Valley for at least 25% off rack rates, plus no need to take a caddy (saves another $100 or so).  I've done that for about a dozen WRXers over the last couple of years.  Just let me know if you're interested in something like that.  

Personally, if what you are contemplating is typical of guys' golf extravaganzas, I'd stay at the Best Western in Jax Beach.  On the Ocean, mid-tier hotel, so relatively waffordable, and in walking (or stumbling) distance of about 25 bars and restaurants.  Also, across the street from my condo.

Thank you for the suggestions and the TPC offer! I’ll let you know if we decide to go that route. What would rack rate be at that time of year? I’m sure we will wind up spending our nights in that area then. Booked PV bc found a condo to rent.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 highscoreinky

highscoreinky

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29688
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 04 February 2019 - 04:20 PM

Just got back from Jacksonville on Sunday.  Enjoyed playing Amelia River and Hidden Hills.  Favorite was Queens Harbor Yacht & Country Club.

#12 golfjules

golfjules

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 05 February 2019 - 12:13 PM

highscoreinky, on 04 February 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

Just got back from Jacksonville on Sunday.  Enjoyed playing Amelia River and Hidden Hills.  Favorite was Queens Harbor Yacht & Country Club.

Yeah hidden hills looks like a fun layout. How did you find the conditions?

#13 highscoreinky

highscoreinky

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 29688
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 05 February 2019 - 02:28 PM

golfjules, on 05 February 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

highscoreinky, on 04 February 2019 - 04:20 PM, said:

Yeah hidden hills looks like a fun layout. How did you find the conditions?

Outstanding service there.  The course is an Arnold Palmer Signature Course.  Conditions were better than expected with it being January and that area getting almost 20 inches of rain in 30 days.  Played the ball down everywhere with no issues.  Pay attention to yardages as there is a lot of water and several holes you may pull out driver and find that your ball ran through the fairway.

It's a course I would consider for membership if I was in that area and one I could play several times a week.  You'll use every club in your bag.  Have fun wherever you play!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors