Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Longest tournament round thus far...

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 kekoa

kekoa

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 8,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 2049

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:10 PM

Let's hear it.

I'd be surprised if you can beat our US Kids round yesterday at a whopping 4 hrs for 9 holes.  The parents blamed the tournament director and the director blamed the parents and older kids who seemed to squabble about their interpretation of the new rules.  All in all a huge fail.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 BertGA

BertGA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 245 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500442
GolfWRX Likes : 314

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:31 PM

I’m pretty sure our 9 on Sat was 2 min under time. Granted, there were only two in our group, and it was freezing. I think no one wanted to be out any more than they needed. But was still the championship.

#3 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 456

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:20 PM

A few years ago 18 hole rounds were crazy long for girls 10-12 in north Texas junior pga they were well over 8 hours and you would lose daylight.  It got so bad that they came out with a new policy gave the girls carts to use for 18 holes because of those rounds because  they couldn’t finish in daylight.  I believe they still now use carts for younger girls.

They were so long kids just couldn’t focus and of course this made things worse. Scores were not bad just so many kids competing and combination of courses that were 5500 yards and young girls walking your just asking for trouble. The carts helped but they were still 6 hours for a while.

I sure hope no one has to with a 8 or 9 hour round out there anymore.

Edited by tiger1873, 14 January 2019 - 09:22 PM.

#4 bwbw

bwbw

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 470266
GolfWRX Likes : 37

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:49 PM

We had one USKG tournament where my middle daughter's group took about that long (4 hours) to finish 9 holes.  My daughter's group came in, and then it was another 40-50 minutes before the next group came in, with another group lagging behind them.

My oldest daughter had played 18 and waited a couple of hours for that group to finish up.  The only things that made that it bearable was:

1.  It was not my daughter waiting.
2.  Most of the players that had finished were good friends of ours.

So we at least got to hang out and chat while waiting for those final scores to come in.

#5 jj9000

jj9000

Major Winner

• 2,361 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99079
GolfWRX Likes : 2611

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:55 PM

Pssssst.

Hey kid...your 9th practice swing looks the same as the first 8.  Now...hit the ball!!

Proceeds to chunk it 15 yards forward.

Looks at iron face as if it was the club's fault.

#6 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:28 AM

View Postkekoa, on 14 January 2019 - 06:10 PM, said:

Let's hear it.

I'd be surprised if you can beat our US Kids round yesterday at a whopping 4 hrs for 9 holes.  The parents blamed the tournament director and the director blamed the parents and older kids who seemed to squabble about their interpretation of the new rules.  All in all a huge fail.

Why wasn't anyone penalized?  

Our local director hands out red cards like candy.  

During the last tournament, our group of three got one for finishing 2 minutes behind a group of two.

Edited by mrshinsa, 15 January 2019 - 12:30 AM.

#7 hangontight

hangontight

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 361

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:56 AM

2018 World Championship 7 year old boys at mid Pines .  Recall that heavy rain on day 2 pushed R2 to the final day so R2 and R3 were played on same day.  

R2-  3h 30m (9 holes).  And that was only for eight holes, as the round was postponed from the day before after we started and only got through one hole.   So it was a shotgun start for everyone as play continued on the horn where you marked your ball.

R3- 3h 50m (9 holes).

For those of you who have been to Pinehurst in August, you know how brutal this was, especially after the area is saturated with heavy rain for a day— 7.5 hour steam bath.  Ruling questions from the washed out conditions coupled with the weight of the biggest Tmnt of the year and over involved caddies (as usual) made it a looooong day.

Edited by hangontight, 15 January 2019 - 08:02 AM.

#8 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 479

Posted 15 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

Let's hear it.

stpga 5 hours for 9 holes. I about just left.

Edited by darter79, 15 January 2019 - 07:58 AM.

#9 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 08:00 AM

Let's hear it.

that's my fear with the new rules. Its gonna slow things down for kids big time. I bet the younger kids are worse bc they have no clue where to aim now.....

#10 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:33 AM

View Postleezer99, on 15 January 2019 - 08:39 AM, said:

View Postdarter79, on 15 January 2019 - 08:00 AM, said:

Let's hear it.

that's my fear with the new rules. Its gonna slow things down for kids big time. I bet the younger kids are worse bc they have no clue where to aim now.....

Short term problem for kids that got used to the crutch of parents lining them up.  Up and coming kids won't have a problem and rounds will be faster.

I agree I just know its going to be painful in some groups. A friend of ours played a tournament last weekend and said the other caddies were not following rules. One even physically moved the player. That will be the biggest adjustment in youth golf.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 DaddyCaddieIU

DaddyCaddieIU

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 513672
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:39 AM

Let's hear it.

Short term problem for kids that got used to the crutch of parents lining them up.  Up and coming kids won't have a problem and rounds will be faster.

Learning to aim comes with practice sure, but it happens over time.  Kids coming up that are 7years old in a few years because of the rules change are not going to have significantly better aim than those of previous years.  The new rule slows down play for younger kids because they simply aren't old enough to understand alignment, not because they haven't practiced it.

#12 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:52 AM

View PostDaddyCaddieIU, on 15 January 2019 - 09:39 AM, said:

Let's hear it.

Learning to aim comes with practice sure, but it happens over time.  Kids coming up that are 7years old in a few years because of the rules change are not going to have significantly better aim than those of previous years.  The new rule slows down play for younger kids because they simply aren't old enough to understand alignment, not because they haven't practiced it.

The rules with younger kids means that in a lot cases it is better to practice more with kids than have them play in tournaments.  My youngest is 8 and I will be doing less tournaments this year with her because I can see how either she is going to be frustrated and even worse doing having rounds that take forever.  She can aim ok but her focus is all over the place so proper alignment doesn't always happen. Personally for me I don't care how she does in tournaments as long as she has fun at this age.

I think ultimately the new rule will improve tournaments for kids under 10 a lot and make it more about just going out and having fun.

Edited by tiger1873, 15 January 2019 - 09:54 AM.

#13 kekoa

kekoa

• 8,038 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66944
  • Handicap:4-20
GolfWRX Likes : 2049

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:44 PM

View Postmrshinsa, on 15 January 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Let's hear it.

During the last tournament, our group of three got one for finishing 2 minutes behind a group of two.

From what I hear I think there was something like 11 or 12 red cards passed out. The problem is that there isn't enough staff to track the group once they have a red card.  Thus nobody gets penalized and the slow play continues.

#14 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
GolfWRX Likes : 94

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

View Postkekoa, on 15 January 2019 - 12:44 PM, said:

View Postmrshinsa, on 15 January 2019 - 12:28 AM, said:

Let's hear it.

From what I hear I think there was something like 11 or 12 red cards passed out. The problem is that there isn't enough staff to track the group once they have a red card.  Thus nobody gets penalized and the slow play continues.

I can understand the lack of staffs throughout the course, but there should be one person timestamping at the end.  When the flag goes in, that's the time you get.  Compare the timestamp with the group that finished before, and you get penalized if not within the allowed time gap.

http://www.uskidsgol...ace-play-policy
The goal is for all groups to be on time, but it is possible that some groups may have to wait on the group ahead, causing them to fall behind time. If this happens, it is critical that all groups remain in position with the group ahead. A group is considered in position when it completes play of any hole within 14 minutes of the group in front of them. All groups are in position on the final hole of the round if they finish within 19 minutes of the group ahead.

If I see that the there is no one on the next hole, I communicate with other caddys in our group that we must pick up the pace or risk getting penalized. Our last tournament kinda sucked cuz the twosome ahead of us suddenly took off after the 7th hole, and our threesome could not close the gap.  My son and I were running on the last two holes, but one of the player in our group didn't quite understand the situation.

#15 TripleBogeysrbetter

TripleBogeysrbetter

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 520364
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:02 AM

Let's hear it.

Time to implement a gimme circle for every hole. :-)  I said draw a 6 foot circle around each hole.

If you don't stink the putt but its inside the circle.  Add a stroke and move on.

Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
Titleist AVX

#16 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

View PostTripleBogeysrbetter, on 18 January 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

Let's hear it.

Time to implement a gimme circle for every hole. :-)  I said draw a 6 foot circle around each hole.

If you don't stink the putt but its inside the circle.  Add a stroke and move on.

Not a good idea for kids a lot tournaments for younger kids are won on those short putts. Most tournaments like US kids locals have max strokes so they just pick up if they can't hole it in 10 strokes.

#17 TripleBogeysrbetter

TripleBogeysrbetter

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 40 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 520364
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

View Posttiger1873, on 18 January 2019 - 08:57 AM, said:

View PostTripleBogeysrbetter, on 18 January 2019 - 08:02 AM, said:

Let's hear it.

Not a good idea for kids a lot tournaments for younger kids are won on those short putts. Most tournaments like US kids locals have max strokes so they just pick up if they can't hole it in 10 strokes.

Sorry if you took me serious. I was just joking.  Thus the reason for the :-).
Cobra F8+ - Fujikura Regular
Taylormade M1 5 Wood - Kuro Kage Regular
Cobra Tour Forged 4-PW KBS Tour 90 R
Fourteen 52 (Bent to 50) - Nippon R
Fourteen 56 - Nippon R
Vokey SM7 60 - Dynamic Gold
Ray Cook Blue Goose BG40
Titleist AVX

#18 ChipNRun

ChipNRun

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 968 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253750
GolfWRX Likes : 397

Posted 28 January 2019 - 04:08 PM

Years ago in Oklahoma, the Saturday round of a 54-hole weekend tournament lasted more than 6 hours for some unfortunates. Us B-flighters had to follow behind the A-flighters. These guys acted like every approach shot and putt was to determine who won the Masters.

It was pre-range finder era. These guys were pacing off yardage to the 150 yard marker, taking multiple practice swings with different clubs, etc. By the turn, a two-hole gap had opened between them and the Championship flight.

On some holes, the B-flighters had more time standing and waiting than playing the next hole. But, the culture was folksy, so nobody penalized A-flight.

Solution: On Sunday, the A-flighters were the last bloc to tee off.

Three years ago, the first round of the local Amateur circuit has 5 1/2 hour rounds by the mid-pack people. It's not the highest level of competition, but you are expected to play the rules exactly. Big problem was golfer hubrus (excessive optimism) about how tee shots ended up. The group ahead of us had a guy with a persistent slice - like the ball was still rising when it crossed the OB line. But, he would drive his cart down the fairway, look for the long-gone ball, and then drive back to the tee to hita second shot. Provisionals, anyone?

His partner hit into a creek - only real choice is to take penalty stroke and drop it behind the creek - the group would cell-phone for the marshall and ask for a rules of golf lesson.

We had several such groups sprinkled through the field. Several groups got put on the clock and penalized.

Needless to say, next month's field was about 20% smaller, consisting mainly of people who knew the basic rules of golf.
What's In The Bag *...

Driver:  Calla XR16 Pro 10.5° (set open) / Fuji Evolution II TS Speeder 665 R-flex 63 gr.
FWs: Tour Edge XRail 4W + 7W / GraphiteDesign G60 R-flex 60 gr.
  or Calla Alpha 815, set 16° + 20° / Fuji Motore Speeder 665 R-flex 62 gr.
Hybrid:  Cobra FlyZ 3H 19° + 4H 22° / Matrix VLCT Altus Lite flex 73 gr.
Irons: Tour Edge CB Pro Tungsten 4i - PW** / KBS Tour 90 R-flex 95 gr. (As of 21 Nov 2018)
Wedge:  Calla MD3 48°/8.SS + 54°/12.WS +  
MD.PM 60°/10 / KBS Tour R-flex 110 gr. |   
Putter:   Slotline Inertial SL-583F / 34" w. SuperStroke 2.0 MidSlim grip
Bag:   Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag
Ball:   Calla SuperSoft
   * Either 7W or 3H left out, depending on course.
   ** Wedges: 46°and 48°are competing for bag space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors