Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping at DSG

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 dcfas

dcfas

Tempus Fugit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 27254
GolfWRX Likes : 192

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:46 PM

So, looking to buy some Ping i210ís at Dickís, possibly. Wondering if anyone knows about fitting and shaft upgrades. Iíve got some gift cards that make it worthwhile to purchase there. Otherwise I would probably not. Any info appreciated.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 jeff1727

jeff1727

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 174 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 344391
  • Handicap:14
GolfWRX Likes : 97

Posted 13 January 2019 - 04:53 PM

I believe DSG gift cards are good at Golf Galaxy as well.  If you have one close, you could get fit there.  They would have a ping fitting cart while DSG might not.

#3 dcfas

dcfas

Tempus Fugit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:42 PM

View Postjeff1727, on 13 January 2019 - 04:53 PM, said:

I believe DSG gift cards are good at Golf Galaxy as well.  If you have one close, you could get fit there.  They would have a ping fitting cart while DSG might not.
Yeah. Unfortunately the GG we had closed up shop and the nearest one is hours away, I believe. May have to just bite the bullet and go somewhere else.

#4 erock9174

erock9174

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,784 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 808

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:58 PM

The DSG by me has a ping fitting cart. They donít have all the options my local fitting center does but it might get you close enough.

Or pay for a fitting somewhere reputable and buy though DSG with your gift cards.

Edited by erock9174, 13 January 2019 - 06:02 PM.

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG
Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

#5 LaymanM

LaymanM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,858 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 130511
GolfWRX Likes : 594

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:23 PM

Make the drive to the GG and schedule a fitting in advance.   You will get for better than probably too.

PING G400 Max 9*, Adidla Rogue Max 75x
Callaway 815 Alpha 3W and 5W Speeder 665 stiff
Srixon U65 4, Modus 105s
Srixon Z785 5-PW Modus 120s
Edel DVR 50, s200
SM7 54F / 58K
SC Studio Style Newport 2

#6 mcgeec79

mcgeec79

mcgeec79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 362277
  • Handicap:16
  • Ebay ID:mcgeec79
GolfWRX Likes : 18

Posted 14 January 2019 - 05:51 AM

I agree with comment above, you could pay for a fitting by someone you trust and then just take the specs to Dicks and do a Web Custom Order. In they system they will have the bulk of whatever Ping offers. I have done this before.

#7 Orlandogolfguru

Orlandogolfguru

OrlandoGolfGuru

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 299712
  • Handicap:7.7
GolfWRX Likes : 765

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:07 AM

All depends on the fitter at dsg. My son worked at Dick’s and he had to get ping certified, but the department manager was a PGA professional that did great fittings. I’d ask some questions, and if not satisfied go to gg. But ask the same questions at gg because there’s some incompetence there also.
Ping G400 LST Dr
Ping G400 Fairway
Ping G30 19 Hy, Exotics 22 Hy
Taylormade P790 forged
Taylormade MG bronze 54 58
MannKrafted OGG 1/1
B330 RXS
Sun Mountain USA

#8 dcfas

dcfas

Tempus Fugit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 14 January 2019 - 06:47 PM

Some good advice here. Thanks to all.

#9 halliedog

halliedog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 764

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:56 PM

I have a GG right around the corner from a Dicks in my little corner of the world, and it all comes down to who you get for the fitting.  The guys at GG are "generally" more knowledgeable, but you never know.  I was looking for a pair of sneakers this weekend and went into the local Dicks which had the shoes I wanted but not in my size.  They called down the road and that store had my size so I asked them to hold them for me.  Stopped by the "Golf Section" on my way out - almost non-existent, and no one working in there.  It was like a ghost town, and if I'd have asked for help they would've most likely pulled someone from the hunting/fishing department to "answer my questions".

Went down the road to pick up the shoes, and stopped by their golf section.  All new old stock still at almost original price, and I cringed at what I overheard the supervisor training what appeared to be a new employee about how to value used clubs.  I usually get better at the local GG, but not by much.

I agree with the people who said go pay for the fitting, ask what the best they can do is for whatever you're fit into, and then try to order from Dicks so you can use the gift cards.  If the fitter can give you a competitive price, save the gift cards for balls/range finder/shoes/gloves or whatever other consumable items.
WITB:
TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5
Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM "Un-Ghosted" Tour 880

#10 dcfas

dcfas

Tempus Fugit

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  •  

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:28 PM

View Posthalliedog, on 14 January 2019 - 08:56 PM, said:

I have a GG right around the corner from a Dicks in my little corner of the world, and it all comes down to who you get for the fitting.  The guys at GG are "generally" more knowledgeable, but you never know.  I was looking for a pair of sneakers this weekend and went into the local Dicks which had the shoes I wanted but not in my size.  They called down the road and that store had my size so I asked them to hold them for me.  Stopped by the "Golf Section" on my way out - almost non-existent, and no one working in there.  It was like a ghost town, and if I'd have asked for help they would've most likely pulled someone from the hunting/fishing department to "answer my questions".

Went down the road to pick up the shoes, and stopped by their golf section.  All new old stock still at almost original price, and I cringed at what I overheard the supervisor training what appeared to be a new employee about how to value used clubs.  I usually get better at the local GG, but not by much.

I agree with the people who said go pay for the fitting, ask what the best they can do is for whatever you're fit into, and then try to order from Dicks so you can use the gift cards.  If the fitter can give you a competitive price, save the gift cards for balls/range finder/shoes/gloves or whatever other consumable items.

I’m likely to do this. My first step is to wait until I get my swing back this spring. Doesn’t make sense to get fit when I haven’t swung a club in months (I live in the great Northeast). Then I need to find a shop with a good fitter who is a retailer, and get the fitting with the clubs cost vs. the Dick’s cost otd. In the end I’m not going to get a poor fitting for clubs I’m likely to play for the next several years. I could always use the cards, which total a couple hundred bucks.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 thevaporz

thevaporz

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,621 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151963
  • Handicap:13
GolfWRX Likes : 866

Posted 16 January 2019 - 06:40 PM

Another option to consider: sell your ~$200 giftcards on cardpool.com or raise.com for ~$180 (I believe you can set the price) then put that money towards your fitting and then buy a used set on ebay that match your specs. Plenty of used i210 sets selling for ~$500 range lately.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors