Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

2019 Callaway Apex & Apex Pro Iron Pics

apex iron apex apex pro

175 replies to this topic

#121 maowv

maowv

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 120 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431348
  • Joined: 07/03/2016
  • Location:Charleston WV
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 09 February 2019 - 09:20 PM

Apex CF16 PW was 45 degrees loft
Apex CF19 PW is 43 degrees loft

Why? Was this really necessary? Aren't we just forcing another wedge into the bag by converting PW into the old 9 iron loft?

Disappointed with the loft changes, will result in the same (or worse) low spin issues as the CF16 had.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#122 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2422

Posted 09 February 2019 - 10:29 PM

Honestly the apex pros felt just as nice as my Miura. Only took maybe 10 swipes at it but I was impressed.
WITB
LTD Pro Kiyoshi HB 65X (other shafts on demo)
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X
Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
TP Black Copper Juno
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
Puma Ignite Pwradapt

2

#123 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2422

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:19 AM

Anybody take a wager how durable the smoke finish will be? My ping's have proven to hold up decent but my old Cobra Trusty's got wrecked in just one season. With the higher premium Cally wants for this finish... I'd only throw down that kind of money if I knew it would hold up for years.
WITB
LTD Pro Kiyoshi HB 65X (other shafts on demo)
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X
Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
TP Black Copper Juno
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
Puma Ignite Pwradapt

3

#124 RodrigoNicely

RodrigoNicely

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 487678
  • Joined: 11/28/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 363

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:29 AM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 10 February 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Anybody take a wager how durable the smoke finish will be? My ping's have proven to hold up decent but my old Cobra Trusty's got wrecked in just one season. With the higher premium Cally wants for this finish... I'd only throw down that kind of money if I knew it would hold up for years.

I asked Harry on Twitter the other day about it. He had one of their technical guys chime in. Some new process makes it more durable. He showed us pictures of his wedge that he had been using for about a month and a half and it looked fantastic

4

#125 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2422

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:33 AM

View PostRodrigoNicely, on 10 February 2019 - 10:29 AM, said:

View PostZ1ggy16, on 10 February 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Anybody take a wager how durable the smoke finish will be? My ping's have proven to hold up decent but my old Cobra Trusty's got wrecked in just one season. With the higher premium Cally wants for this finish... I'd only throw down that kind of money if I knew it would hold up for years.

I asked Harry on Twitter the other day about it. He had one of their technical guys chime in. Some new process makes it more durable. He showed us pictures of his wedge that he had been using for about a month and a half and it looked fantastic
Nooooice. Did they say what the process is? Some kind of anodizing?

Now to decide if I want to go all black with the smoke $ Taper's or keep my trust modus 120.

WITB
LTD Pro Kiyoshi HB 65X (other shafts on demo)
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X
Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
TP Black Copper Juno
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
Puma Ignite Pwradapt

5

#126 kgeorge78

kgeorge78

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,787 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71845
  • Joined: 01/03/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 715

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:47 AM

i hit the apex pro last night - they were fantastic.

8 yards longer than ap2 with only 1 deg loft difference.   Maybe a tiny bit bigger and more forgiving?   A little less spin though.
TS2 10.5 TENSI
Mizuno MP53 3-PW
Vokey 52 56 60
Newport 2

6

#127 PatsNation

PatsNation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125004
  • Joined: 03/21/2011
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 10 February 2019 - 10:52 AM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 10 February 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Anybody take a wager how durable the smoke finish will be? My ping's have proven to hold up decent but my old Cobra Trusty's got wrecked in just one season. With the higher premium Cally wants for this finish... I'd only throw down that kind of money if I knew it would hold up for years.
i think itís similar to new black finish cobra is using on their forged tec. Suppose to be very durable
TM M3
TM M2 Tour Fairway
Titleist 816H2
TM P790 4-6
TM P760 7-PW
Vokeys
SC Newport

7

#128 mrmikeac

mrmikeac

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481854
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Waterford
  • Handicap:6.4
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:09 AM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 09 February 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostTheMotorCity, on 04 February 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

Was so looking forward to the Apex iron .Very clicky coming off the face and terrible sound for a forged iron. Reading all these posts talking about great feel and distance. I expect the distance aspect, the lofts are jacked, but feel and sound for me are terrible.

I have grown so very tired of the manufacturers purposely confusing everyone with this constant abuse of the term ďforgedĒ. Pure marketing BS.

A forged body with a very thin, very springy, completely separate face welded to it, is not ever going to feel like an ďold schoolĒ forged club that is hammered out of one solid piece of metal.

Call them ďforgedĒ if you want, but Apex, PXG, p790, p760, i500,  etc, etc., do not feel or sound ANYTHING like a true traditional forged one piece club.

Unfortunately most golfers donít know about the completely different construction and are constantly  surprised by the sound and feel of these new imposters.

Who are you to say that most golfers donít know the difference? That has to be one of the most arrogant things Iíve ever read on any thread here. This is WRX, not a Rick Shiels fanbase reunion.
Take your ignorance elsewhere.
Driver: Taylormade M6 9.0 Degree, Fujikura ATMOS Black 6S
3 Wood: Exotics CBX, HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
3 Hybrid: Exotics EXS, 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
5-PW: Taylormade P760ís, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Taylormade Copper Spider X, KBS CT Tour Putter Shaft, 34Ē
Ball: Taylormade TP5

8

#129 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2422

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:37 AM

Who cares though? My old Taylormade Rocket Bladez felt extremely soft for a cast club. My Miura's are tripled forged and feel different than P790's which is the whole forged body, welded springy face. Club is a club. Goes a certain distance and that's really it. Getting caught up in forged vs what isn't is kind of silly.

Most OEM's have some kind of hybrid forged player's club now a days anyway. I'll be honest - I'm considering leaving the Miura's for something like Apex Pro or 760's because they feel just as soft and sound pretty much just as good... but I'm seeing a bit more forgiveness out of them. It seems like more and more guys on tour are going toward something a bit more hybrid and less traditional.

Having a "real" forged club isn't going to make me a better player - having a solid impact position and any tech available to me will though. Forged has become such a buzz word now, people are forgetting they still need to play golf.
WITB
LTD Pro Kiyoshi HB 65X (other shafts on demo)
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X
Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
TP Black Copper Juno
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
Puma Ignite Pwradapt

9

#130 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    King and The Chairman of the Board

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 16,793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 13427

Posted 10 February 2019 - 11:38 AM

View Postmrmikeac, on 10 February 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostJagpilotohio, on 09 February 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostTheMotorCity, on 04 February 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

Was so looking forward to the Apex iron .Very clicky coming off the face and terrible sound for a forged iron. Reading all these posts talking about great feel and distance. I expect the distance aspect, the lofts are jacked, but feel and sound for me are terrible.

I have grown so very tired of the manufacturers purposely confusing everyone with this constant abuse of the term "forged". Pure marketing BS.

A forged body with a very thin, very springy, completely separate face welded to it, is not ever going to feel like an "old school" forged club that is hammered out of one solid piece of metal.

Call them "forged" if you want, but Apex, PXG, p790, p760, i500,  etc, etc., do not feel or sound ANYTHING like a true traditional forged one piece club.

Unfortunately most golfers don't know about the completely different construction and are constantly  surprised by the sound and feel of these new imposters.

Who are you to say that most golfers don't know the difference? That has to be one of the most arrogant things I've ever read on any thread here. This is WRX, not a Rick Shiels fanbase reunion.
Take your ignorance elsewhere.

He's 100% correct.  Your insults are out of line.  

"Forged" in today's market really isn't the "forged" of days gone by or what a "true" forged club is and absolutely manufacturers cash in putting "forged" on irons that are more GI than "blades", for example.

I think it's great that they can, but totally agree most golfers don't appreciate the real differences when they see "forged" on a lot of irons - it's half intended to confuse them, and I'd bet most golfers couldn't tell the difference in feel in forged GI vs. cast GI clubs.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#131 mrmikeac

mrmikeac

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 351 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481854
  • Joined: 09/14/2017
  • Location:Waterford
  • Handicap:6.4
GolfWRX Likes : 466

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:04 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 10 February 2019 - 11:38 AM, said:

View Postmrmikeac, on 10 February 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostJagpilotohio, on 09 February 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostTheMotorCity, on 04 February 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

Was so looking forward to the Apex iron .Very clicky coming off the face and terrible sound for a forged iron. Reading all these posts talking about great feel and distance. I expect the distance aspect, the lofts are jacked, but feel and sound for me are terrible.

I have grown so very tired of the manufacturers purposely confusing everyone with this constant abuse of the term "forged". Pure marketing BS.

A forged body with a very thin, very springy, completely separate face welded to it, is not ever going to feel like an "old school" forged club that is hammered out of one solid piece of metal.

Call them "forged" if you want, but Apex, PXG, p790, p760, i500,  etc, etc., do not feel or sound ANYTHING like a true traditional forged one piece club.

Unfortunately most golfers don't know about the completely different construction and are constantly  surprised by the sound and feel of these new imposters.

Who are you to say that most golfers don't know the difference? That has to be one of the most arrogant things I've ever read on any thread here. This is WRX, not a Rick Shiels fanbase reunion.
Take your ignorance elsewhere.

He's 100% correct.  Your insults are out of line.  

"Forged" in today's market really isn't the "forged" of days gone by or what a "true" forged club is and absolutely manufacturers cash in putting "forged" on irons that are more GI than "blades", for example.

I think it's great that they can, but totally agree most golfers don't appreciate the real differences when they see "forged" on a lot of irons - it's half intended to confuse them, and I'd bet most golfers couldn't tell the difference in feel in forged GI vs. cast GI clubs.

Okay bud my apologies, I donít disagree with his statement whatsoever but to say that most golfers donít know the difference is absolutely untrue. Trust me I get it, I got into an argument with someone just the other day about the P790ís. He kept going on and on about how theyíre fully forged and I had to prove to him that itís a cast club with a forged face, so yes there are SOME people that donít know the difference and yes itís irritating but to say MOST people donít know the difference is ridiculous. MOST golfers have been playing the game long enough to know that these forged faces are a newcomer to the market. You could say that most NEW golfers donít know the difference.

Now if these companies keep going with this "forged face" Mumbo jumbo then yes, Iím afraid that full forgings will eventually become obsolete, which would be devastating for people like me and you but if it means more forgiveness and appeal for the mass amount of golfers then Iím all for it, whatever makes the game more popular. But from what Iím seeing lately, full forgings are going to have an evolutionary period if anything, been hearing a lot of talks about precision milling and fully machine milled heads being the next big thing which truly excites me.
I for one have always used fully forged clubs until recently when I got fitted for a set of 760ís, my Srixon Z785ís are in my backup bag for now because I play better golf with these, yes these have a forged face and theyíre not fully forged and yes the Srixonís are some of the best feeling clubs Iíve ever hit or owned but I canít argue with the extra spin, consistency and performance I get with my 760ís.
Driver: Taylormade M6 9.0 Degree, Fujikura ATMOS Black 6S
3 Wood: Exotics CBX, HZRDUS Red 65 6.0
3 Hybrid: Exotics EXS, 19 Degrees, Tensei Blue 80 Gram Stiff
2 Iron: Taylormade P790 UDI, Project X HZDRUS Black 85g 6.0
5-PW: Taylormade P760ís, Nippon Pro Modus Tour 120 Stiff
50 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
54 Degree: Cleveland RTX 4, 10 Bounce, Mid Grind, Black Satin, Nippon Pro Modus 125 Wedge Flex
58 Degree: TaylorMade Hi-Toe, KBS Hi-Rev 2.0
Putter: Taylormade Copper Spider X, KBS CT Tour Putter Shaft, 34Ē
Ball: Taylormade TP5

11

#132 Hifade

Hifade

    Believe it or not, the juice is worth the squeeze

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,131 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26
  • Joined: 04/07/2005
  • Location:Dayton, OH
  • Handicap:+3
  • Ebay ID:usopenqualifier
GolfWRX Likes : 836

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:31 PM

Let's not forget, the shaft plays a major part in feel too. For instance, most people play Project X shaft way too stiff for them, then complain about how harsh the clubs feel. Furthermore, if the head is not adjusted to your specs, they can feel harsh too, because you may struggle to hit the center of the face. In the end, several things go into feel....not the least of which can be subjective perception.
PING G400 MAX 9* - TOUR 65 "X" & PX HZRDUS T1100 6.0
CALLAWAY GBB EPIC 15* - PX HC EVENFLOW RED 75g 6.5
PING G400 14.5* - TOUR 75 "X"
TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
CALLAWAY '19 APEX PRO's 4-GW - TT Elevate Tour "S"
CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
ODYSSEY EXO 7S - CUSTOM
SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's

12

#133 Sidetracked

Sidetracked

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 137827
  • Joined: 08/27/2011
  • Location:Inland Empire, CA
GolfWRX Likes : 112

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:32 PM

View Postmaowv, on 09 February 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

Apex CF16 PW was 45 degrees loft
Apex CF19 PW is 43 degrees loft

Why? Was this really necessary? Aren't we just forcing another wedge into the bag by converting PW into the old 9 iron loft?

Disappointed with the loft changes, will result in the same (or worse) low spin issues as the CF16 had.

Part of the reason why I haven't looked at them yet. 43 really Callaway?
Always Under Construction
G400 Max 9º
718 AP2 4-PW
SM7 Raw 52º 56º 60º
Handcrafted Beauty

13

#134 tyro

tyro

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,448 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 176856
  • Joined: 04/23/2012
  • Location:WA State
GolfWRX Likes : 582

Posted 10 February 2019 - 12:48 PM

I was settled on the Mizuno JPX 919 Forged, but now I'll have to hit the Apex Pro 19 or a combo set.  I like the normal spin I was getting from the 919's indoors, and the feel was plenty good for me.

I've owned the Apex 16's, but the spin was way too low for me.  From the positive reviews thus far, the Apex Pro 19 sound almost too good to be true.  The Youtube guys, from Newton, Shiels, Crossfield, & Average Golfer, are all liking them.

After the irons, I'll have to settle on a new driver.  Now that's a packed field!

14

#135 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    45+ inch drivers are evil.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 6284

Posted 10 February 2019 - 01:45 PM

View Postmrmikeac, on 10 February 2019 - 11:09 AM, said:

View PostJagpilotohio, on 09 February 2019 - 07:52 PM, said:

View PostTheMotorCity, on 04 February 2019 - 06:33 PM, said:

Was so looking forward to the Apex iron .Very clicky coming off the face and terrible sound for a forged iron. Reading all these posts talking about great feel and distance. I expect the distance aspect, the lofts are jacked, but feel and sound for me are terrible.

I have grown so very tired of the manufacturers purposely confusing everyone with this constant abuse of the term “forged”. Pure marketing BS.

A forged body with a very thin, very springy, completely separate face welded to it, is not ever going to feel like an “old school” forged club that is hammered out of one solid piece of metal.

Call them “forged” if you want, but Apex, PXG, p790, p760, i500,  etc, etc., do not feel or sound ANYTHING like a true traditional forged one piece club.

Unfortunately most golfers don’t know about the completely different construction and are constantly  surprised by the sound and feel of these new imposters.

Who are you to say that most golfers don’t know the difference? That has to be one of the most arrogant things I’ve ever read on any thread here. This is WRX, not a Rick Shiels fanbase reunion.
Take your ignorance elsewhere.

Hahahahaha!!    WTF?    It’s not even open to debate.  I was silmply making an unequivocal statement of fact.

The VAST majority of all golfers have absolutely zero idea that there are truly different categories of “forged” clubs on the market.

Stamping “Forged” on a golf club  has become a marketing tool.  


9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

15

#136 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    King and The Chairman of the Board

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 16,793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 13427

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:19 PM

I think there may be definitional differences - most golfers arenít on here and donít keep handicaps, follow equipment trends, know what the Ping wardrobe is for the week. We are in a bit of a bubble on wrx - moops!

Enjoy!


Edited by Hawkeye77, 10 February 2019 - 02:22 PM.


16

#137 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    45+ inch drivers are evil.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,515 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 6284

Posted 10 February 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostHawkeye77, on 10 February 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

I think there may be definitional differences - most golfers aren’t on here and don’t keep handicaps, follow equipment trends, know what the Ping wardrobe is for the week. We are in a bit of a bubble on wrx - moops!

Enjoy!

Certainly.  Whenever I say “most golfers” in a thread on this website I’m never just talking about WRX members.  

The small subset of golfers on this site certainly  are not  “average” golfers in many ways.

9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

17

#138 tmb guy

tmb guy

    teeitup

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 402788
  • Joined: 11/12/2015
  • Location:orange county, n.y
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 86

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:20 PM

View PostJagpilotohio, on 10 February 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 10 February 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

I think there may be definitional differences - most golfers aren’t on here and don’t keep handicaps, follow equipment trends, know what the Ping wardrobe is for the week. We are in a bit of a bubble on wrx - moops!

Enjoy!

Certainly.  Whenever I say “most golfers” in a thread on this website I’m never just talking about WRX members.  

The small subset of golfers on this site certainly  are not  “average” golfers in many ways.

sure they are they just wont accept it
PXG Gen2 0811x 10.5 FUJI VENTUS 5s
PXG GEN 2 15 Speeder EVO 5 661s
PXG GEN 2  0311T 4-pw fuji mci black pending
PXG GEN 2 19 hybrid adiz hybrid
Cleveland RTX 4 Black 50,54,58
Putter-Betti tour proto

18

#139 PatsNation

PatsNation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125004
  • Joined: 03/21/2011
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 10 February 2019 - 03:35 PM

Great apex thread lately...
TM M3
TM M2 Tour Fairway
Titleist 816H2
TM P790 4-6
TM P760 7-PW
Vokeys
SC Newport

19

#140 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    King and The Chairman of the Board

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 16,793 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 13427

Posted 10 February 2019 - 07:14 PM

I had them both in hand yesterday but canít hit anything because of elbow and would have been in a golf store so no big deal. I love the look of the regular Apex over the Pros. Anxious to try them come spring.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#141 CaseyDan

CaseyDan

    Tour Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 501 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368313
  • Joined: 03/26/2015
  • Location:Dallas, Texas
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 451

Posted 10 February 2019 - 08:05 PM

View Postmaowv, on 09 February 2019 - 09:20 PM, said:

Apex CF16 PW was 45 degrees loft
Apex CF19 PW is 43 degrees loft

Why? Was this really necessary? Aren't we just forcing another wedge into the bag by converting PW into the old 9 iron loft?

Disappointed with the loft changes, will result in the same (or worse) low spin issues as the CF16 had.

I agree not happy with the loft changes. I still bought a set and I will say the consistency in distance and spin is much improved vs the CF19. I think the standard 19 feels better than the CF16 as well. In my opinion and experience.

First Time playing a set GW - didnít buy set 4 iron this time. Bent my 52 to 53 so I go 48 53 58. Not bad.
TaylorMade M2 Tensie Pro White 60s
TaylorMade M2 Tensei Pro Blue 70s
Callaway Apex 2019 w/ Elevate Tour
Vokey SM7 52.12F Raw
TaylorMade 58* Hi-Toe
Scotty Cameron MilSpec 33/350

21

#142 PatsNation

PatsNation

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,290 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125004
  • Joined: 03/21/2011
  • Location:Boston
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 382

Posted 12 February 2019 - 08:57 AM

For the people who went with the Pros. Any of you tweak the lofts? Im a high spin/high launch guy I usually bend my irons 1 strong.

Really considering the Apex Pro Smokes
TM M3
TM M2 Tour Fairway
Titleist 816H2
TM P790 4-6
TM P760 7-PW
Vokeys
SC Newport

22

#143 Kmac

Kmac

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125246
  • Joined: 03/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:24 AM

I love the loft changes! Make them stronger for us mortals.

I am going to go smoke Apex and if the finish is anything close to the Cobra Forged Tec blacks it will be very good. Those irons did not show a mark after a few round which was impressive with all the mud I was playing in because of the rain. Non stop rain.

What is the price difference for the Smoke Apex?

23

#144 Z1ggy16

Z1ggy16

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,703 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 430110
  • Joined: 06/22/2016
GolfWRX Likes : 2422

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:39 AM

Looks like $20 more per iron for Smoke if my math serves me. Somebody else can correct me if that's not true.
WITB
LTD Pro Kiyoshi HB 65X (other shafts on demo)
LTD Kai'li 70X
818H2 Tour Blue 85X
Miura CB/MB Combo Modus 120X
Stealth 2.0 50/10SS
Stealth 2.0 54/12SS
Stealth 2.0 58/10SS
TP Black Copper Juno
TP5X
Sun Mountain 4.5 Bag
Puma Ignite Pwradapt

24

#145 Kmac

Kmac

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125246
  • Joined: 03/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:46 AM

Well at least its not crazy like what PXG wanted for the black irons.


25

#146 moorebaseball

moorebaseball

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515356
  • Joined: 10/29/2018
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 12 February 2019 - 10:48 AM

View PostZ1ggy16, on 12 February 2019 - 10:39 AM, said:

Looks like $20 more per iron for Smoke if my math serves me. Somebody else can correct me if that's not true.

Wow! Those are some expensive sticks!

26

#147 Kmac

Kmac

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125246
  • Joined: 03/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 12 February 2019 - 11:13 AM

$50 additional would be expensive!

27

#148 moorebaseball

moorebaseball

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515356
  • Joined: 10/29/2018
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 12 February 2019 - 12:30 PM

View PostKmac, on 12 February 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

$50 additional would be expensive!

I think $20 is hahaha. The pros are already at the high end for irons not including the additional $20 per club for black. Different strokes for different folks :).

28

#149 Kmac

Kmac

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 125246
  • Joined: 03/25/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 190

Posted 12 February 2019 - 03:38 PM

View Postmoorebaseball, on 12 February 2019 - 12:30 PM, said:

View PostKmac, on 12 February 2019 - 11:13 AM, said:

$50 additional would be expensive!

I think $20 is hahaha. The pros are already at the high end for irons not including the additional $20 per club for black. Different strokes for different folks :).

haha not saying its cheap but you do not want to see how some PXG irons in black are going to cost

29

#150 moorebaseball

moorebaseball

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 204 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515356
  • Joined: 10/29/2018
  • Location:Utah
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 12 February 2019 - 06:56 PM

Yeah I would never consider them. There are plenty of other choices out there that perform just as good or better for less money ;).


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30




Also tagged with apex iron, apex, apex pro

9 user(s) are reading this topic

4 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users


    Jordan Speeth, oz dee cee, smaier, born4golf77

GolfWRX Sponsors