Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Driver - hitting too high on the face


  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 andrue

andrue

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Joined: 03/13/2017
  • Location:South Northants, UK
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:54 AM

Used some impact tape today and although my hits are about in the middle of the face they are all well above the sweet spot and a couple were on the crown (had a sky hook at one point). I know I have a tendency to let my upper body move forward during the down swing but are there any good drills or changes that can typically solve this problem?

Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 juggernaut0629

juggernaut0629

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290277
  • Joined: 01/04/2014
  • Location:NY
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:07 PM

Hit balls standing on back leg only. Flamingo drill
Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

2

#3 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7246

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:53 PM

View Postjuggernaut0629, on 13 January 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Hit balls standing on back leg only. Flamingo drill
Flamingo drill is typically the front leg.
TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

3

#4 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19884

Posted 13 January 2019 - 06:39 PM

Do you hover the driver behind the ball ?


If you donít , try that.  Hover it so that the ball is dead middle.  It has cured me.  I return the club to wherever it starts with driver for some reason.  

Ping G400 Max 9.4* Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
TM 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
Ping i500 prototype 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105x
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130 X
Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60  S400
Cameron GSS 009 1.5 beached tungsten sole weights

4

#5 andrue

andrue

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Joined: 03/13/2017
  • Location:South Northants, UK
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 14 January 2019 - 03:23 AM

View Postbladehunter, on 13 January 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

Do you hover the driver behind the ball ?


If you don't , try that.  Hover it so that the ball is dead middle.  It has cured me.  I return the club to wherever it starts with driver for some reason.  
No, I don't. I'll give that a try. Would be nice to catch it better, just a couple of centimetres lower and I'd on the sweet spot pretty much all the time.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

5

#6 bladehunter

bladehunter

    I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,457 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Joined: 01/12/2014
  • Location:south carolina
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19884

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:01 AM

View Postandrue, on 14 January 2019 - 03:23 AM, said:

View Postbladehunter, on 13 January 2019 - 06:39 PM, said:

Do you hover the driver behind the ball ?




If you don't , try that.  Hover it so that the ball is dead middle.  It has cured me.  I return the club to wherever it starts with driver for some reason.  
No, I don't. I'll give that a try. Would be nice to catch it better, just a couple of centimetres lower and I'd on the sweet spot pretty much all the time.

Bryson deshambeau or Davis love is a good example to look at on YouTube.  

I discovered this around 8 weeks ago and itís like turning a switch on for me
Ping G400 Max 9.4* Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
TM 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
Ping i500 prototype 3 iron Graphite Design AD DI 105x
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130 X
Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60  S400
Cameron GSS 009 1.5 beached tungsten sole weights

6

#7 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:43 AM

View Postandrue, on 13 January 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Used some impact tape today and although my hits are about in the middle of the face they are all well above the sweet spot and a couple were on the crown (had a sky hook at one point). I know I have a tendency to let my upper body move forward during the down swing but are there any good drills or changes that can typically solve this problem?

This sounds stupid simple, but just lower your tee height?

7

#8 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,955 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
  • Joined: 12/30/2008
  • Location:Tennessee
GolfWRX Likes : 2592

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

Ball could be too far back in your stance.
Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

8

#9 andrue

andrue

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Joined: 03/13/2017
  • Location:South Northants, UK
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:50 AM

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 14 January 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

View Postandrue, on 13 January 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Used some impact tape today and although my hits are about in the middle of the face they are all well above the sweet spot and a couple were on the crown (had a sky hook at one point). I know I have a tendency to let my upper body move forward during the down swing but are there any good drills or changes that can typically solve this problem?

This sounds stupid simple, but just lower your tee height?
Yeah, but that sounds like a band-aid to hide a swing flaw. Fair point though.

View PostBrianMcG, on 14 January 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Ball could be too far back in your stance.
Also possible. Given how well I was driving on Sunday I wasn't too inclined to mess with that but it's worth checking. With my history of fading I want to be careful about moving the ball forward.

Edited by andrue, 14 January 2019 - 11:52 AM.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

9

#10 Cwebb

Cwebb

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,637 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21353
  • Joined: 11/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 1919

Posted 14 January 2019 - 11:58 AM

Try a tee height where slightly less than half the ball is above the top-line of your driver.  Not everyone benefits from following the trend of teeing it really high


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 dwboston

dwboston

    Major Winner

  • Lefty Boomers
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51575
  • Joined: 03/16/2008
  • Handicap:5.2
  • Ebay ID:dwboston1
GolfWRX Likes : 628

Posted 14 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

Upper body could be getting forward on the downswing.  I know when I hit pop-ups with the driver (or made skymarks in the past) that it was from my upper body getting forward and my front knee collapsing.
Titleist 917 D2 10.5*, GD AD DI 7S | Titleist 915F 16.5*, GD AD DI 8S | Titleist 915 H 21*, GD AD DI 105S
Bridgestone J15 CB, 4-PW, Recoil Proto 125 F4 | Vokey SM6 52.08F | Vokey SM6 56.10S | Vokey SM7 60.12D
Lajosi DD201, 34"/350g

11

#12 ScratchyDawg

ScratchyDawg

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 259 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 310233
  • Joined: 04/22/2014
  • Location:Lexington, SC
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 129

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:29 PM

Too steep most likely
"Give up control to gain control" - George Knudson

12

#13 Lincoln_Arcadia

Lincoln_Arcadia

    We're supposed to be having fun here...yeah, right.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 263134
  • Joined: 07/10/2013
  • Location:So. Cal.
  • Handicap:9.0
GolfWRX Likes : 123

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:37 PM

View PostCwebb, on 14 January 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Try a tee height where slightly less than half the ball is above the top-line of your driver.  Not everyone benefits from following the trend of teeing it really high

Even if they could gain an extra few yards of carry, seems like the reliability of a decent strike could drop dramatically as well?

13

#14 Lefty7

Lefty7

    Newbie

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 404762
  • Joined: 12/04/2015
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 14 January 2019 - 02:02 PM

View PostScratchyDawg, on 14 January 2019 - 01:29 PM, said:

Too steep most likely

This is most likely the case. Almost all people I see that hit the ball high on the face with a driver are too steep.

14

#15 Scottie68

Scottie68

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359119
  • Joined: 01/22/2015
  • Location:Long Island, NY
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 212

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:25 PM

A few ideas to try, without changing swing....
Lower tee height
Move ball forward in stance
Increase shoulder tilt a bit


15

#16 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

    Rebellion Golf

  • Sponsors
  • 18,212 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
  • Joined: 09/12/2009
  • Location:Southern California
GolfWRX Likes : 11518

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:18 PM

This is almost always upper body too far toward.

16

#17 nsxguy

nsxguy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,103 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 431858
  • Joined: 07/08/2016
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:3.7
GolfWRX Likes : 1967

Posted 15 January 2019 - 12:20 PM

View Postandrue, on 14 January 2019 - 11:50 AM, said:

View PostLincoln_Arcadia, on 14 January 2019 - 11:43 AM, said:

View Postandrue, on 13 January 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

Used some impact tape today and although my hits are about in the middle of the face they are all well above the sweet spot and a couple were on the crown (had a sky hook at one point). I know I have a tendency to let my upper body move forward during the down swing but are there any good drills or changes that can typically solve this problem?

This sounds stupid simple, but just lower your tee height?
Yeah, but that sounds like a band-aid to hide a swing flaw. Fair point though.

View PostBrianMcG, on 14 January 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

Ball could be too far back in your stance.
Also possible. Given how well I was driving on Sunday I wasn't too inclined to mess with that but it's worth checking. With my history of fading I want to be careful about moving the ball forward.

History of fading ? Or slicing ?

My friend, you are a 21 handicapper. You have a lot of swing flaws. My first thought - get lessons.

Sans lessons,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

FWIW, while I had a lower handicap (about an 8) I did have what sounds like this exact problem, that of sliding the whole upper body forward, hitting the ball with a descending blow, causing negative angle of attack, excess spin and often having the club trail so far behind me the club face is wide open at impact and losing the ball right, and right of right.

A salesperson/instructor at a local golf shop spotted my (main) problem about 6 or 7 years ago.

Keep your head still and behind the ball. If you keep your head still and behind the ball while the rest of you body "slides" (OK, it really turns/rotates) forward.

Keeping your head behind the ball allows an upward angle of attack and the club head no longer trails so badly and now the head "squares up" as it gets to the ball. Also, you might want to see the club hitting the ball at "7 o'clock", i.e. slightly inside to promote an inside-to-square strike.

I got myself to work on these steps. I now almost never lose one right, never move the ball left to right (the occasional right is a block, not a fade/slice) and hit the ball smack in the middle of the face far more often, get my best distance far more often and most importantly keep the ball in play and deep (for me) far more often.

That's all I got. Good luck.
Callaway Fusion 9* Project X Handcrafted Hzrdus Black "60" 6.0
Adams A12 Pro hybrids, 16*, 20*, 23*, Aldila VS Proto Stiff

Titleist 816 AP-1 5-PW, DGS300
Cleveland RTX-3 50*, 56*, 64*

Ping Sigma 2 Tyne
Titleist AVX

17

#18 andrue

andrue

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 458618
  • Joined: 03/13/2017
  • Location:South Northants, UK
  • Handicap:21
GolfWRX Likes : 431

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:30 PM

View Postnsxguy, on 15 January 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

That's all I got. Good luck.
Yeah, it's what I suspect I'm doing. I know that most of last year I was struggling to launch my long clubs (all hybrids) and two things cured it - feeling like I'm hanging back at impact and 'thumbs up' on the back swing - the last being from a short lesson with our pro. Thumbs up helped the driver launch but I've never really managed that 'hanging back' feeling with my driver.

As for fade or slice - I say fade. To me a slice is a ball that never stands a chance of being in play let alone on the fairway. My shots were usually no worse than first cut and even if I push fade it's not usually a disaster. I could probably have solved the problem by just aiming more left but I was losing around around 30 yards distance. Anyway I'm now allowing my forearms to do what they want (as long as I remember) and that has left me with a gentle fade.

As for lesson, yup. Unfortunately at the moment we don't have a dedicated pro. The chap we have is very good but he's also the course director so doesn't have much time. He does half hour 'fix a specific problem' sessions which work well. But I've booked myself into a residential course for the last week of March. That's five half days and should be a good opportunity to remove some of the worst flaws in my swing.

Edited by andrue, 15 January 2019 - 01:32 PM.

Callaway Rogue Driver.
Callaway Big Bertha OS Hybrids (3/4/5)
Callaway Big Bertha OS Irons (6/7/8/9/PW/AW/SW)
Callaway 60* Sureout wedge
Callaway 64* Sureout wedge
Ghost Spider Si 72 Putter
Callaway Super Soft Yellow (White in winter).

18

#19 buckeyefl

buckeyefl

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,176 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 259982
  • Joined: 06/29/2013
GolfWRX Likes : 3090

Posted 15 January 2019 - 06:16 PM

View PostCwebb, on 14 January 2019 - 11:58 AM, said:

Try a tee height where slightly less than half the ball is above the top-line of your driver.  Not everyone benefits from following the trend of teeing it really high

I resemble that remark.

19

#20 juggernaut0629

juggernaut0629

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 586 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 290277
  • Joined: 01/04/2014
  • Location:NY
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:19 PM

View PostShilgy, on 13 January 2019 - 05:53 PM, said:

View Postjuggernaut0629, on 13 January 2019 - 02:07 PM, said:

Hit balls standing on back leg only. Flamingo drill
Flamingo drill is typically the front leg.

Do we have to be so damn literal? Does it really matter? It's still standing on 1 leg.

Ping G LST 9*
Callaway Epic 3w & 5w Diamana Thump
X2 Hot #4 Hybrid Matrix White Tie
Ping ie1 5 - GW Nippon SPO
Cleveland RTX-3 54* 58*

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors