Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Ping tour 65 vs alta 55 shaft


  • Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 KGilma

KGilma

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512814
  • Joined: 09/19/2018
  • Location:Franklin TN
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:55 AM

I was given a tour 65 S shaft from a g400 max by a friend to try out.  Been playing the standard alta 55 S in my ping G 9* driver.  I don't really have any reason to switch shafts as I feel like I hit it really well.  I weighed both shaft combos with the head only 1 gram difference in the tour 65.  However, it is 1/2 shorter.  Will I notice anything different since it's shorter?  Cold and raining this weekend do I can't go to the range.

Ping G  Driver
Callaway XR16 3w+
Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w
Ping G400  3H
Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
Scotty Newport 2

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 extrastiff

extrastiff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512346
  • Joined: 09/12/2018
  • Location:GA
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:58 AM

View PostKGilma, on 12 January 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

I was given a tour 65 S shaft from a g400 max by a friend to try out.  Been playing the standard alta 55 S in my ping G 9* driver.  I don't really have any reason to switch shafts as I feel like I hit it really well.  I weighed both shaft combos with the head only 1 gram difference in the tour 65.  However, it is 1/2 shorter.  Will I notice anything different since it's shorter?  Cold and raining this weekend do I can't go to the range.
Maybe less club head speed and more control. No way to tell, let us know what u think after hitting. Might be worth asking if it was tipped

I wouldn't switch if your already hitting the other one well, but sounds like u won't have to switch out the tip adaptor (or will u?), so give it a swing.

Edited by extrastiff, 12 January 2019 - 09:59 AM.

g400 lst 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
f8 13.5*, 18.5* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
testing 4 irons
forged ONE 5-6 | modus105x
p730 7-PW | tt dg X100 sl
hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | modus105x
Columbus
jumbomax tour medium grips

2

#3 B.Boston

B.Boston

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 202553
  • Joined: 09/11/2012
  • Location:Boston, MA
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 12 January 2019 - 09:59 AM

I had the standard shaft in a G30 and got fitted into the tour 65 stiff.

I find it to be a much more stable shaft. Of course a lot will depend on your swing, but I would think you’ll at least see tighter dispersion if it fits your swing.

What’s your swing speed?
Ping G30 10.5 Tour 65 Stiff
Ping G30 5 Wood Tour 80 Stiff
Titleist 909H 2H Vodoo Stiff
Cleveland Hi-Bore XLS 4H - Gold Regular
Titleist AP2 714 5-GW C-Taper Lite Stiff
Vokey SM5 54 & 58 S Grind
Cameron Newport Select
Titleist Pro V1x

3

#4 KGilma

KGilma

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512814
  • Joined: 09/19/2018
  • Location:Franklin TN
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:10 AM

View Postextrastiff, on 12 January 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostKGilma, on 12 January 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

I was given a tour 65 S shaft from a g400 max by a friend to try out.  Been playing the standard alta 55 S in my ping G 9* driver.  I don't really have any reason to switch shafts as I feel like I hit it really well.  I weighed both shaft combos with the head only 1 gram difference in the tour 65.  However, it is 1/2 shorter.  Will I notice anything different since it's shorter?  Cold and raining this weekend do I can't go to the range.
Maybe less club head speed and more control. No way to tell, let us know what u think after hitting. Might be worth asking if it was tipped

I wouldn't switch if your already hitting the other one well, but sounds like u won't have to switch out the tip adaptor (or will u?), so give it a swing.

It's not tipped the tour is 45.25 from the factory. Alta is 45.75.  Its plug n play no new adapter needed, too.

Swing speed is 107-110.

Just an experiment for now, not necessarily switching just trying something new.

Edited by KGilma, 12 January 2019 - 10:17 AM.

Ping G  Driver
Callaway XR16 3w+
Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w
Ping G400  3H
Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
Scotty Newport 2

4

#5 vernon

vernon

    Hi! I'm Holly!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11868
  • Joined: 02/13/2006
  • Location:Kansas City
GolfWRX Likes : 374

Posted 12 January 2019 - 11:51 AM

In my opinion the Tour is WAY more stiff, stout whatever you want to call it than the Alta.  To me a stiff flex in the Alta feels like a regular or even soft regular compared to the Tour.

I have to really slow my swing down and and swing smooth with the Alta (not that that's necessarily a bad thing) but with the Tour I feel like I can really go after it without losing control and hitting huge hooks.

My driver swing speed is only around 100 - 105 but I have a pretty aggressive transition which is certainly a factor.

I have the Tour 65 in all my fairway woods as well and think that it's an excellent shaft.

The Alta is excellent as well for an awful lot of guys - I'm just not one of them.

Have fun!


5

#6 ttm27

ttm27

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 897 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107577
  • Joined: 05/08/2010
  • Location:MARYLAND
  • Ebay ID:terps2703
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 12 January 2019 - 01:23 PM

Alta went much higher (too high) than the Tour for me

6

#7 extrastiff

extrastiff

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512346
  • Joined: 09/12/2018
  • Location:GA
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostKGilma, on 12 January 2019 - 10:10 AM, said:

View Postextrastiff, on 12 January 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

View PostKGilma, on 12 January 2019 - 09:55 AM, said:

I was given a tour 65 S shaft from a g400 max by a friend to try out.  Been playing the standard alta 55 S in my ping G 9* driver.  I don't really have any reason to switch shafts as I feel like I hit it really well.  I weighed both shaft combos with the head only 1 gram difference in the tour 65.  However, it is 1/2 shorter.  Will I notice anything different since it's shorter?  Cold and raining this weekend do I can't go to the range.
Maybe less club head speed and more control. No way to tell, let us know what u think after hitting. Might be worth asking if it was tipped

I wouldn't switch if your already hitting the other one well, but sounds like u won't have to switch out the tip adaptor (or will u?), so give it a swing.

It's not tipped the tour is 45.25 from the factory. Alta is 45.75.  Its plug n play no new adapter needed, too.

Swing speed is 107-110.

Just an experiment for now, not necessarily switching just trying something new.
With That swing speed, if I am Picking for you, I'm recommending the tour without seeing you here either. Only if your fairway shafts are heavier than 65 g though. I don't like my driver shaft being equal/heavier than my fairways.

The caveat is I would never dare switching something that I'm hitting well unless I hit something for sure better
g400 lst 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
f8 13.5*, 18.5* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
testing 4 irons
forged ONE 5-6 | modus105x
p730 7-PW | tt dg X100 sl
hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | modus105x
Columbus
jumbomax tour medium grips

7

#8 vernon

vernon

    Hi! I'm Holly!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 11868
  • Joined: 02/13/2006
  • Location:Kansas City
GolfWRX Likes : 374

Posted 12 January 2019 - 03:07 PM

View Postttm27, on 12 January 2019 - 01:23 PM, said:

Alta went much higher (too high) than the Tour for me
^. This too.

8

#9 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1474

Posted 13 January 2019 - 08:41 AM

These are VERY different shafts, and IMO it's unlikely that the same player would get a good result from both.  The Tour shafts are much lower launching than the Alta shafts, and generally suited for higher swing speeds than the Alta.

The only way to know for sure in your own case, of course, is to hit them.  In MY case, when I was fitted for a G30, my results from the Tour 65 were just awful; low and right and went nowhere.  The TFC (predecessor of the Alta, of course) gave me great results, and was the first time I got better results from the Ping stock shaft than from ANY after market premium shaft.  Same thing at my fitting a year ago for a G400.

I think there is a misconception that the Tour 65's are an upgrade of some sort to the Alta, and they're not, if only because the Alta is a really good shaft.  They are just completely different animals from each other.

9

#10 e-man

e-man

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,924 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47555
  • Joined: 01/30/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 268

Posted 13 January 2019 - 10:40 AM

A bit OT and don't mean to threadjack, but is there a major difference between the TFC 419 shaft from the g30 and the alta CB shaft from the G400?  I have both a g30 and g400 Max, but my tfc 419 shaft plays at 45.25 and I would prefer to play that length in the Max (and don't want to cut down the alta CB).


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 KGilma

KGilma

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 62 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512814
  • Joined: 09/19/2018
  • Location:Franklin TN
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 13 January 2019 - 12:21 PM

The main thing I am looking at in this little experiment is what happens when I really go after it.  With the Alta when I try to kill it I end up with a huge slice.  If I go at a nice even tempo I get a nice high straight drive.  But I would also like a little lower piercing, trajectory.
Ping G  Driver
Callaway XR16 3w+
Cobra King F6 Baffler 5w
Ping G400  3H
Cobra King F6 irons 5-GW
Titleist Vokey SM7 56*
Scotty Newport 2

11

#12 leo the lion

leo the lion

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 867 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 131659
  • Joined: 06/26/2011
  • Location:Denver, CO
GolfWRX Likes : 149

Posted 13 January 2019 - 02:53 PM

With a swing speed of 107-110 mph the Ping Tour is likely to be a better fit for you than the Alta. It should launch lower and spin less and you should gain some yards and consistency.
DriverPosted ImageG30 LS Tec Ping Tour Stiff 65
FairwayPosted Image G30 3 Wood Ping Tour Stiff 80
Hybrid  Posted Image Exotics CBPro U Limited Edition 17* #2 Kuro Kage Stiff 90HY
HybridPosted ImageG30 19* #3 Stiff TFC 419 90
Irons Posted ImageG irons 4-UW AWT 2.0 Stiff white dot +1/2" plus Odyssey Duel Force 56 degree SW

BagPosted ImageHoofer 14 2016
Putter Posted Image Queen Bee #8
Ball Posted ImageTPX or Posted Image PROV1X

12

#13 bluedot

bluedot

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,282 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85265
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Handicap:6.1
GolfWRX Likes : 1474

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:43 PM

View Poste-man, on 13 January 2019 - 10:40 AM, said:

A bit OT and don't mean to threadjack, but is there a major difference between the TFC 419 shaft from the g30 and the alta CB shaft from the G400?  I have both a g30 and g400 Max, but my tfc 419 shaft plays at 45.25 and I would prefer to play that length in the Max (and don't want to cut down the alta CB).

Just from my experience with the G30 and the G400, I would say no.  The G30 and G400 heads are VERY different IMO, but not the TFC 419 vs the Alta.

13

#14 erock9174

erock9174

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,778 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Joined: 12/23/2010
  • Location:North Canton, OH
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 805

Posted 13 January 2019 - 03:47 PM

Another factor.....The Alta’s are counterbalanced. The Tour shaft is too but not as much.
Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG
Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

14

#15 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,237 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Handicap:5.7
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1536

Posted 13 January 2019 - 09:53 PM

Alta is a good shaft, the Tour 65 is also very good... I find it to be more stable and more of a low/mid launch.  My dispersion with the Alta was worse and a much higher flight.  Spin was also a couple hundred RPM higher.

Ping G400 9*
Ping G 14.5*
Mizuno MP-H4 3i
Ping S55 4-P
Bridgestone J40 52/56
Ping Vault 2.0 Dale

15



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors