Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Stiff to xstiff

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 ckates7

ckates7

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 110215
GolfWRX Likes : 122

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:30 PM

Question for you guys. I have a raw/uncut Rogue 130 60g tour stiff, and everything I’ve played has been xstiff and around 70-75g. I know you obviously can’t change the weight, but would you guys recommend a way to try to even get it close to xstiff?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 extrastiff

extrastiff

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 740 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 512346
GolfWRX Likes : 294

Posted 10 January 2019 - 05:35 PM

read the pinned thread on "guys asking for help with picking a shaft."

Stepping may work. 70-130 big jump, hard to say.

Really good read, answers a lot.
g400 lst 9* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
f8 13.5*, 18.5* | hzrdus black 75 6.5
testing 4 irons
forged ONE 5-6 | modus105x
p730 7-PW | tt dg X100 sl
hi-toe 52*9, 56*8, 62*5 | modus105x
Columbus
jumbomax tour medium grips

#3 Stuart G.

Stuart G.

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 22,147 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 174728
GolfWRX Likes : 6850

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:16 AM

ckates7, on 10 January 2019 - 05:30 PM, said:

Question for you guys. I have a raw/uncut Rogue 130 60g tour stiff, and everything I’ve played has been xstiff and around 70-75g. I know you obviously can’t change the weight, but would you guys recommend a way to try to even get it close to xstiff?

Have you even hit it yet?   There is no standard for flex so there is a lot more to judging a shaft than reading the flex off of a label. So whether or not it will feel too soft will depend a lot on which particular x-flex shafts you've been playing, your swing characteristics, your particular sensitivities, and your preferences for feel.   The rogues do tend to be on the stiffer side of most 'stiff' shafts and I believe the TS also has a lower torque which also helps it feel a bit stiffer.

So I'd suggest you just try it out straight in before making any decisions (leave some extra room in length at the butt end and test it choked up).  If it feels fine, then your great and can go back and butt cut to the desired length).   If it feels a little soft, tipping (1"-1.5") can stiffen it up a little bit and possibly get it to work for you BUT that's not going to change it a full flex.  So if it's really loose untipped, you'd be better off it selling to buy an x-stiff.   That's an expensive shaft and if you tip it and it doesn't work, you'll potentially reduce the resale value significantly.

And BTW  if the lighter shaft weight turns out to be an issue, you can try
1) adjusting the swing weight a little heavier.  For some people, they can use SW to help compensate for a shaft weight that's too light (to some degree at least).
2) Try adding a butt weight (tour loc pro, etc..)  to increase static weight.   May also need to play with head weight as well to adjust the balance - but do it at the range with some lead tape, not with a swing weight scale.

Edited by Stuart G., 11 January 2019 - 04:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors