Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Comparable Used/Low Cost Driver

Driver Shaft

  • Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 caboose

caboose

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 519764
  • Joined: 01/08/2019
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:49 PM

A local shop had free fittings for the TS drivers back when they were released so I had one (specs below). I don't have $500 to spend on a driver, but I'm looking to finally upgrade from my 2004 big Bertha. Can you guys recommend anything that you think might work that I should be on the lookout for? I know Callaway prowned just started up a sale. Thanks!

Edit: just mentioned the fitting and giving the specs of the TS2 so people have something to go off. I'm not in love with TS2 and trying to settle for less or anything like that.

TS2 - T1100 White 65 - 6.0
45 Inches
9.5 Degrees

Edited by caboose, 08 January 2019 - 05:14 PM.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 Greenstealth

Greenstealth

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338381
  • Joined: 09/07/2014
  • Location:nepa
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:58 PM

If you were fitted for it and that's what you like but you can't afford it, my suggestion would be to wait till it's available used on the bst. I rarely ever buy new clubs (esp driver).

2

#3 caboose

caboose

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 519764
  • Joined: 01/08/2019
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:10 PM

View PostGreenstealth, on 08 January 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

If you were fitted for it and that's what you like but you can't afford it, my suggestion would be to wait till it's available used on the bst. I rarely ever buy new clubs (esp driver).

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. That's the only fitting I've ever had and just provided it as a base line for people to go off of. I'll edit the post. Thanks

3

#4 OsnolaKinnard

OsnolaKinnard

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 442454
  • Joined: 10/04/2016
  • Location:Texas
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:osnolakinnardb
GolfWRX Likes : 318

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:54 PM

Buy a 2017 TM M2 with an aldila Rogue 70 black and call it a day.

They'll be under 200 bucks and will give you all the performance you want.
LAWS of golf + Whippy Tempomaster = CRUSHING IT

4

#5 Greenstealth

Greenstealth

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 338381
  • Joined: 09/07/2014
  • Location:nepa
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:10 PM

View Postcaboose, on 08 January 2019 - 05:10 PM, said:

View PostGreenstealth, on 08 January 2019 - 04:58 PM, said:

If you were fitted for it and that's what you like but you can't afford it, my suggestion would be to wait till it's available used on the bst. I rarely ever buy new clubs (esp driver).

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. That's the only fitting I've ever had and just provided it as a base line for people to go off of. I'll edit the post. Thanks


I'm of the thought that really any modern head will perform similar. You can find a ping g driver for 100 bucks. The 2016 m2 is a crowd favorite. The epic was a bomber, I just sold a sz for 150. The cobra heads all perform and can be had cheap. Whatever fits your eye. Hit it in the middle and they will all be around the same


5

#6 blackngold_blood

blackngold_blood

    Golf Ball Whacker Guy

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 454 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 378042
  • Joined: 05/28/2015
  • Location:Iowa
  • Ebay ID:blackngold_forever
GolfWRX Likes : 282

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:11 PM

View Postcaboose, on 08 January 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

A local shop had free fittings for the TS drivers back when they were released so I had one (specs below). I don't have $500 to spend on a driver, but I'm looking to finally upgrade from my 2004 big Bertha. Can you guys recommend anything that you think might work that I should be on the lookout for? I know Callaway prowned just started up a sale. Thanks!

Edit: just mentioned the fitting and giving the specs of the TS2 so people have something to go off. I'm not in love with TS2 and trying to settle for less or anything like that.

TS2 - T1100 White 65 - 6.0
45 Inches
9.5 Degrees

To be honest anything in the last 6-7 years should give you some performance benefits over your current driver and most can be had for pennies on the dollar in todays market.
WITB

Work in progress and will be updated after St. Andrews!!


Ball: OnCore Elixr

6

#7 burritos4breakfast

burritos4breakfast

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 197 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 382712
  • Joined: 06/26/2015
  • Location:hawaii
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:37 PM

callaway preowned has 30% off all their epics. those are pretty sweet. I personally like anything cobra from the last 4-5 years, Im still bombing my bio cell

7

#8 James the Hogan Fan

James the Hogan Fan

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 515886
  • Joined: 11/06/2018
  • Location:Helsinki, Finland
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 231

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:30 AM

If you want to go into the wayback machine, the Cleveland HiBore is very cheap at $30-50 and for me an absolute bomber and very forgiving as well. There is also an XLS version that came later that i havenít hit, but gets a lot of love on this site. I stumbled upon a regular hibore at a garage sale for $10 and it went into my bag that month.

I know itís probably not as new as you had hoped, but it is decidedly in the cheap catagory.
Golfing in Finland -------------------------------------------------Golfing in USA
Driver: Titleist 908 D2 (9.5) ------------------------------------- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha (2014, 9.5)
3 wood: Cleveland hi-Bore (15) -------------------------------- Adams Tightlies Tour 14.5
2hi: Callaway BB Diablo (18)
Irons 3-E Hogan Apex Edge Pro/Apex 4 +5/8" ---------------2-E Hogan Apex '99, Apex 4 +1"
Wedges: Titleist 5612 and Iron Nelson prototype 59° ------Macgregor VIP black 52 56, Stan Thompson stainless
Putter: Macgregor Autograph Jackie Pung -------------------Hogan Princess

8

#9 hypergolf

hypergolf

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,223 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 28176
  • Joined: 04/23/2007
GolfWRX Likes : 53

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

I just upgraded my 909D2 to 915D3 last week. Tested out TS3 and felt that numbers were similar anyway so decided to go with an older model. 909D2 was still performing great and performance wise i say would be not that much different from modern day drivers.

9

#10 RainShadow

RainShadow

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,336 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 85204
  • Joined: 06/10/2009
  • Location:Tucson AZ (for now)
  • Handicap:9.7
GolfWRX Likes : 552

Posted 09 January 2019 - 09:42 AM

View PostJames the Hogan Fan, on 09 January 2019 - 12:30 AM, said:

If you want to go into the wayback machine, the Cleveland HiBore is very cheap at $30-50 and for me an absolute bomber and very forgiving as well. There is also an XLS version that came later that i haven't hit, but gets a lot of love on this site. I stumbled upon a regular hibore at a garage sale for $10 and it went into my bag that month.

I know it's probably not as new as you had hoped, but it is decidedly in the cheap catagory.
The sound though......wear ear plugs

Ping G400 10.5 Hzrdus Yellow 75
Xhot 4wood Tour Blue 75
Apex Hybrid  20, 23 & 26 Kuro Kage
Srixon Z765 6-GW Modus 105s / Cobra Forged Tec Black 6-GW Modus 105s
MackDaddy4 Black 54 S and Mizuno Raw Black OX 58/11
Bettinardi BB1/ OWorks 2 Ball Red
Chrome Soft / TP5/ Snell MTB Black ( test run)

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 wareagle12

wareagle12

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 291 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153735
  • Joined: 01/07/2012
  • Handicap:0.8
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:21 AM

View PostRainShadow, on 09 January 2019 - 09:42 AM, said:

View PostJames the Hogan Fan, on 09 January 2019 - 12:30 AM, said:

If you want to go into the wayback machine, the Cleveland HiBore is very cheap at $30-50 and for me an absolute bomber and very forgiving as well. There is also an XLS version that came later that i haven't hit, but gets a lot of love on this site. I stumbled upon a regular hibore at a garage sale for $10 and it went into my bag that month.

I know it's probably not as new as you had hoped, but it is decidedly in the cheap catagory.
The sound though......wear ear plugs

Lol, I had a guy to actually get angry that I was hitting mine on the range back in the day. He huffed off and said ear plugs should come with it.

I'd go with a Ping G30/G or one of the cobras. Great forgiveness and as long as anything else.
Driver- PING G400 VC 6.1 X
5 wood- Bridgestone J33 VS Proto
3-PW S56 SPB X
52,56,60 Ping Glide
Putter - PING Ti 4

11

#12 caboose

caboose

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 519764
  • Joined: 01/08/2019
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 09 January 2019 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for all the recommendations guys! Any shafts you think I should be looking into based on the t1100 white 65 6.0 I was for for on the TS2?

12

#13 Nixhex524

Nixhex524

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,343 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 305437
  • Joined: 04/03/2014
  • Handicap:6.1
  • Ebay ID:Nixhex524
GolfWRX Likes : 1591

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:29 PM

HZRDUS black felt a lot like the EF white to me and performed similarly I thought.  I didn't fall in love with the TS3 either after getting good numbers in the store... Lots of great options out there, but if you can pony up the money for a G400 Max, it's about as good as it gets.  If you can demo the Tour Edge EXS, for $299 new, it's a complete steal.
Ping G400 9*
Ping G400 14.5*
Titleist 913h 19*
Ping S55 4-P
Titleist SM6 52/58
Odyssey PT9

13

#14 ian-500

ian-500

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139631
  • Joined: 09/21/2011
  • Location:Weymouth, UK
  • Handicap:16
GolfWRX Likes : 128

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:43 PM

Just picked up a G30 LST with a tour 65x for £50/$64. Bargain. Loads of great gear out there and relatively cheap. This would match the TS2 easily.
Cobra Amp Cell Pro 7.5 + Accra Tour Z LS65 M5, Superstroke.
Cobra Amp Cell 3/4 13.5 + Accra Tour Z LS75 M5, Superstroke.
Fourteen 716ut 16/21/26 + Thump 90/90/Tour AD105, Lamkin.
Adams AXD Forged 6i - pw + Recoil Prototype 125F5, NDMC.
Epon Tour 52*/56*, Accra Tour Ti-Mesh 110/125, Superstroke.
SeeMore SB1, Accra FX300, Garsen.

14

#15 Mych

Mych

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,624 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Joined: 06/03/2012
  • Location:SE Houston/Galv
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 834

Posted 09 January 2019 - 12:50 PM

I'd recommend picking a brand and buying into an adapter system, then upgrading components separately over time. Every Titleist since the 910 series has had the interchangeable SureFit adapter. So you could start with a 910 or 913 for under $100, then upgrade the shaft to something simiilar to what you were fitted for. Then when the TS3 prices come down you could change to the TS3 head. If your swing speed changes over time, or if you make changes to your swing that affect your ballflight, then you can easily test and change shafts to optimize.

For Cobra, every model since the Biocell has had the same MyFly8 adapter system (Biocell, Fly Z, F6, F7, F8, F9). For Callaway, I think they started the Optifit system with OptiForce in 2013.  Most brands have had fairly stable adapter systems for about the last 5 years.

"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead

Main bag: Posted Image Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-V wedges ~ Posted Image JPX Fli-Hi 3H ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W

6 club minimalist: Posted Image King Utility ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ King 50-V wedge ~ Posted Image Method Core MC02W~ Silo Club Carrier

15

#16 PR3CI5N

PR3CI5N

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 518918
  • Joined: 12/27/2018
  • Location:San Diego
  • Handicap:5.1
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:38 PM

View Postcaboose, on 08 January 2019 - 04:49 PM, said:

A local shop had free fittings for the TS drivers back when they were released so I had one (specs below). I don't have $500 to spend on a driver, but I'm looking to finally upgrade from my 2004 big Bertha. Can you guys recommend anything that you think might work that I should be on the lookout for? I know Callaway prowned just started up a sale. Thanks!

Edit: just mentioned the fitting and giving the specs of the TS2 so people have something to go off. I'm not in love with TS2 and trying to settle for less or anything like that.

TS2 - T1100 White 65 - 6.0
45 Inches
9.5 Degrees

I'd highly suggest a used Taylormade SLDR. You can find them for under $100 on eBay or sites like Mercari.

16

#17 taylormade4life

taylormade4life

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14766
  • Joined: 05/13/2006
  • Location:Florida
  • Handicap:4
  • Ebay ID:Gamepro20
GolfWRX Likes : 271

Posted 09 January 2019 - 03:36 PM

View PostMych, on 09 January 2019 - 12:50 PM, said:

I'd recommend picking a brand and buying into an adapter system, then upgrading components separately over time. Every Titleist since the 910 series has had the interchangeable SureFit adapter. So you could start with a 910 or 913 for under $100, then upgrade the shaft to something simiilar to what you were fitted for. Then when the TS3 prices come down you could change to the TS3 head. If your swing speed changes over time, or if you make changes to your swing that affect your ballflight, then you can easily test and change shafts to optimize.

For Cobra, every model since the Biocell has had the same MyFly8 adapter system (Biocell, Fly Z, F6, F7, F8, F9). For Callaway, I think they started the Optifit system with OptiForce in 2013.  Most brands have had fairly stable adapter systems for about the last 5 years.

IMO this is a great way to go.

17

#18 High Plains Driver

High Plains Driver

    Chip Yipper Extraordinaire

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,325 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5556
  • Joined: 08/27/2005
  • Location:West Texas
  • Ebay ID:*chaser*
GolfWRX Likes : 734

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:34 PM

9.5° 915D2 with the T1100 shaft.
I am not brand loyal. I am just seriously OCD.

Driver:  Taylormade M4
Fairway: Taylormade M4 3HL
Hybrid:  Taylormade M4 19°
Irons: Taylormade M1 4-P
Wedges:  Taylormade ATV 50°, 56° (bent to 55°), and 60°
Putter:  Taylormade DA-12/Taylormade Spider/Taylormade Est 79 TM-110
Ball:  Taylormade Tour Preferred X/TP5X

18

#19 SwooshLT

SwooshLT

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,552 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5901
  • Joined: 09/09/2005
  • Location:Loxahatchee,FL
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1415

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:15 PM

I grabbed a razr fit for 50 bucks.... adjustable, composite crown and nice looking

19

#20 chickwebb

chickwebb

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 517646
  • Joined: 12/04/2018
  • Location:Seascape, CA
  • Handicap:6.5
  • Ebay ID:chick_webb
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 09 January 2019 - 06:41 PM

Golf Galaxy (Dick's) has that Taylormade RBZ Black for $199 w/the Matrix White Tie - https://www.golfgala...mrbz20drvrxxdrv.  It's better than the original RBZ, which I finally parted with this summer in favor of the M3.  And it has the removable shaft, so you can swap if you wish.  I bought one as a backup the other day.  Great club.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20




Also tagged with Driver, Shaft

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors