Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Arizona Course Help


32 replies to this topic

#1 loc

loc

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102082
  • Joined: 01/15/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:17 PM

Hello, This will be our 6th year boys Phoenix trip in 2019.

We are going the first week of April Staying in the Scottdale Area most likely.

Looking for some new courses to play.

Here is what we have played in the past:
Visti Verde
Longbow
Sundunes
Legends Trail
Sunridge Canyon
Eagle Mountain
Lookout Mountain
TPC Stadium
TPC Champions
Dinosaur
Talking Stick
Raven at Verrado
Legends Trail
Club West
Quintero
Trilogy
Troon North Monument
Troon North Pinnacle
Sidewinder
Stone Creek
We-Ko-PA
ASU Karsten

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:27 PM

Easy.  New course at Verrado(Victory); Wickenburg Ranch, Vistancia, Estrella, Papago, Legacy, Raven South Mountain, Los Caballeros, Boulders  

Possible others:  Aguila, Wigwam, Wildfire

2

#3 loc

loc

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102082
  • Joined: 01/15/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:38 PM

puttnforthe8, thanks so much..i will check them out

3

#4 Skaffa77

Skaffa77

    No place like the Sand Hills!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 6,556 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 23067
  • Joined: 12/24/2006
  • Location:Omaha, NE
  • Ebay ID:Skaffa77
GolfWRX Likes : 589

Posted 08 January 2019 - 04:40 PM

Was going to mention Wigwam or AK-Chin Southern Dunes

4

#5 loc

loc

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102082
  • Joined: 01/15/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 08 January 2019 - 05:07 PM

Saw somewhere Club 500? Any good

Prefer non neighborhood courses or less house lined courses.

Edited by loc, 08 January 2019 - 05:08 PM.


5

#6 Young Tommy

Young Tommy

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 496142
  • Joined: 03/13/2018
  • Location:Toronto
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 14

Posted 08 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Las Sendas, Dove Valley Ranch

6

#7 BirdieRoll

BirdieRoll

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 334 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 148279
  • Joined: 11/23/2011
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:51 PM

If you're staying in Scottsdale, Camelback Ambiente and Padre should be on the short list.

7

#8 Rohlio

Rohlio

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,160 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
  • Joined: 11/16/2008
  • Location:Phoenix, AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 446

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:59 PM

Southern Dunes must be on your list.

8

#9 fsutanker

fsutanker

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 74817
  • Joined: 02/08/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 44

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:10 PM

Grayhawk?

9

#10 DrSchteeve

DrSchteeve

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,348 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3417
  • Joined: 07/27/2005
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ
  • Handicap:12.9
  • Ebay ID:sstclairs
GolfWRX Likes : 759

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:18 PM

View Postloc, on 08 January 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hello, This will be our 6th year boys Phoenix trip in 2019.

We are going the first week of April Staying in the Scottdale Area most likely.

Looking for some new courses to play.

Here is what we have played in the past:
Visti Verde
Longbow
Sundunes
Legends Trail
Sunridge Canyon
Eagle Mountain
Lookout Mountain
TPC Stadium
TPC Champions
Dinosaur
Talking Stick
Raven at Verrado
Legends Trail
Club West
Quintero
Trilogy
Troon North Monument
Troon North Pinnacle
Sidewinder
Stone Creek
We-Ko-PA
ASU Karsten

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

You have played more courses than many of us who live here! We should be asking you for your comments.

You could let us know something more about what you are looking for since, again, you have plenty of information based on your past experience...

Callaway Epic Driver Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Callaway Epic 3+ wood Matrix Red Tie 65Q4
Titleist 818 H1 18* and 21* Tensei Blue
Titleist 818 H1 25* and 27* Tensei Red
Titleist 818 AP1 7-SW Tensei Red
Vokey SM4 58* M Kuro Kage
TM Spider Tour
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Shilgy

Shilgy

    Legend

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,741 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 235237
  • Joined: 03/07/2013
  • Location:Phoenix
  • Handicap:3.1
GolfWRX Likes : 7248

Posted 08 January 2019 - 10:34 PM

View Postputtnforthe8, on 08 January 2019 - 04:27 PM, said:

Easy.  New course at Verrado(Victory); Wickenburg Ranch, Vistancia, Estrella, Papago, Legacy, Raven South Mountain, Los Caballeros, Boulders  

Possible others:  Aguila, Wigwam, Wildfire
Plus 1 to this. In April a great day could be had playing 36 at Los Cab and Wickenburg Ranch. Problem with that is you'd miss Little Wick

Edited by Shilgy, 08 January 2019 - 10:36 PM.

TM M3 440 10* Graphite Design AD IZ 6x
TM M1 3w 14*  Graphite Design BB7s
TM M2  5w 18* Fujikura Atmos TS Blue 8S or Srixon U65 18° Atmos Red 7s
Adams A12 UST Silver S 21°
Srixon Z765 5-AW Nippon Pro Modus3 125S
Titleist Vokey 54*F  58*S
Toulon Garage Rochester flow neck H5/ Toulon Rochester stock

To paraphrase Dr Seuss: Don't cry because the round of golf is over-smile because it happened .  :)

11

#12 teejaywhy

teejaywhy

    Official GolfWRX Curmudgeon

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,064 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 39565
  • Joined: 09/18/2007
  • Location:Arizona
GolfWRX Likes : 1874

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:18 AM

View Postloc, on 08 January 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hello, This will be our 6th year boys Phoenix trip in 2019.

We are going the first week of April Staying in the Scottdale Area most likely.

Looking for some new courses to play.

Here is what we have played in the past:
Visti Verde
Longbow
Sundunes
Legends Trail
Sunridge Canyon
Eagle Mountain
Lookout Mountain
TPC Stadium
TPC Champions
Dinosaur
Talking Stick
Raven at Verrado
Legends Trail
Club West
Quintero
Trilogy
Troon North Monument
Troon North Pinnacle
Sidewinder
Stone Creek
We-Ko-PA
ASU Karsten

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Notes about what you liked/didn't like can help with recommendations.

12

#13 kiddoc

kiddoc

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33550
  • Joined: 07/02/2007
  • Location:Scottsdale,AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 194

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:29 AM

View Postfsutanker, on 08 January 2019 - 10:10 PM, said:

Grayhawk?

Glaring omission for sure.
36 holes
NCAA coming here.

Not a price deal as TROON North is on the list.


We Ko Pa a must as well

36 holes

13

#14 loc

loc

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 102082
  • Joined: 01/15/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 3

Posted 09 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

View Postteejaywhy, on 09 January 2019 - 07:18 AM, said:

View Postloc, on 08 January 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hello, This will be our 6th year boys Phoenix trip in 2019.

We are going the first week of April Staying in the Scottdale Area most likely.

Looking for some new courses to play.

Here is what we have played in the past:
Visti Verde
Longbow
Sundunes
Legends Trail
Sunridge Canyon
Eagle Mountain
Lookout Mountain
TPC Stadium
TPC Champions
Dinosaur
Talking Stick
Raven at Verrado
Legends Trail
Club West
Quintero
Trilogy
Troon North Monument
Troon North Pinnacle
Sidewinder
Stone Creek
We-Ko-PA
ASU Karsten

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Notes about what you liked/didn't like can help with recommendations.

home town is Pittsburgh PA, we play very much elevation changes and tree lined courses, thus when we come to AZ we look for elevation changes but mountain/desert courses. Quintero by far was the fav......Sunridge Canyon is a fav....as in Dinosaur and Sidewinder... Raven at Verado was liked by some but not by others....TPC played twice...overrated in my eyes for the price but had to do it just because....We also liked the Troons pinnacle and monument.....but i think the troons are liked because we like the local restaurant for after golf at Pinnacle Grille off Jomax road....

14

#15 SilverBullets

SilverBullets

    BMW

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,899 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139485
  • Joined: 09/19/2011
  • Location:Phoenix, Az
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 2556

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

I can't add anything new to what the first couple posters put.  Wickenburg Ranch is a HIKE from North Scottsdale but it's my favorite course out here.  To me, it's everything Quintero isn't that you want it to be.  It's pretty, the conditioning is outstanding, it's never busy, and the things it provides which Quintero doesn't... For starters, it has a clubhouse and a really solid restaurant.  More importantly, it has a really good layout.  It's a fun golf course to play.  The lil' wick par 3 course is a nice touch if you have the time to kill.

Grayhawk Raptor and Southern Dunes are glaring omissions from your list.  Those are kind of on the must play list once you get past Troon and Wekopa.  The new Victory course at Verrado is also very solid and worth playing (I like it more than the original Verrado course).  Camelback Ambiente is a good course, although, I'm not as fascinated with it as others are on this forum.  It's solid but it's nothing more than solid in my book.

Taylormade '17 M2 9.5* - Rogue Silver 70 X
Taylormade '16 M2 15*
Titleist 816h 21*
Callaway Apex 4i thru PW - Nippon Modus 125 Tour X
Vokey SM6 50*, 54*, 58*
Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 2 - Scotty Custom Shop

15

#16 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 09 January 2019 - 01:15 PM

I was assuming the "Sundunes" was just a typo for Southern Dunes? :dntknw:

16

#17 jcleve

jcleve

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 98 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 153557
  • Joined: 01/06/2012
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 7

Posted 09 January 2019 - 04:16 PM

Southern dunes is house free and a great layout

17

#18 Dr. Hack

Dr. Hack

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 508406
  • Joined: 07/27/2018
  • Location:Scottsdale
  • Handicap:Mid
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:56 PM

This is the great thing about Scottsdale.  You still have more places to check out!

-Ill second Southern Dunes as a must-play.

-Camelback Ambiente isn't a bad option for someone looking for something new.  Not a "scottsdale style" desert course so I don't usually recommend to visitors but it seems to get hype among the locals. It's an out-and-back links-style design.

-Mountain Shadows is a must-play short course in my opinion.  Iconic location at the base of Camelback on one of the most exclusive pieces of real estate in the valley.  I think it must be one of the oldest Scottsdale courses too, dating back to the swanky 60's times, and restored more recently.  If you've played La Quinta Mountain Course it's like a mini version of that.  Not many amazing holes but the venue is really fun. And it can be played in 2 hours and is only 10 minutes from old town, so very easy to squeeze in.  

-The Faldo course at Wildfire might be a good option. The Palmer course is good but not super memorable.  These rival Grayhawk, I think, although you've been here enough times that you will probably need to play Grayhawk just to say you've played it....Either Talon or Raptor.  Those are the two big omissions from your list in that immediate area. The Grayhawk courses are excellent and have great routing and a few very memorable holes, but for some reason playing up there I always feel like I'm in a valley at the top of a hill.  I honestly prefer the views at Talking Stick or even McCormick but it's a personal thing.  

-Wickenburg is another glaring omission if you're willing to drive out there.  

-If you want cheaper places of great quality and classic desert feel, check out Aguila, Trilogy, Legacy, and Papago.

-I would probably play We-Ko-Pa Saguaro every single time I visited, If I was from out of town.  Best public course in the state, and is probably out-done by only a couple private courses in my opinion.

Lastly, The Phoenician just finished the course re-design and I've been curious to check it out.  Probably overpriced but if anyone can weigh in, please do so.

Edited by Dr. Hack, 11 January 2019 - 01:19 PM.


18

#19 az2au

az2au

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,700 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 185434
  • Joined: 06/10/2012
  • Location:Scottsdale, AZ/New York, NY
  • Handicap:3.6
GolfWRX Likes : 784

Posted 11 January 2019 - 12:59 PM

View PostDr. Hack, on 11 January 2019 - 12:56 PM, said:

Ill second Southern Dunes as a must-play.

Camelback Ambiente isn't a bad option for someone looking for something new.  Not a "scottsdale style" desert course so I don't usually recommend to visitors but it seems to get hype among the locals.

Mountain Shadows is a must-play short course in my opinion.  Iconic location at the base of Camelback on one of the most exclusive pieces of real estate in the valley.  I think it must be one of the oldest Scottsdale courses too, dating back to the swanky 60's times, and restored more recently.  If you've played La Quinta Mountain Course it's like a mini version of that.  Not many amazing holes but the venue is really fun. And it can be played in 2 hours and is only 10 minutes from old town, so very easy to squeeze in.  

The Faldo course at Wildfire might be a good option.  I prefer that to Grayhawk.  The Palmer course is ok but not super memorable.  Those are the two big omissions from your list in that immediate area. For some reason playing up there I always feel like I'm in a valley at the top of a hill.  I honestly prefer the views at Talking Stick or even McCormick but it's a personal thing.  

Wickenburg is another glaring omission if you're willing to drive out there.  

If you want cheaper places of great quality and classic desert feel, check out Aguila, Trilogy, and Papago.

Lastly, The Phoenician just finished the course re-design and I've been curious to check it out.  Probably overpriced but if anyone can weigh in, please do so.
Per the Southwest forum conditions thread, Mountain Shadows lost their greens during overseed.  The Phoenician is also still terrible.

19

#20 toddnt

toddnt

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,426 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 8488
  • Joined: 12/08/2005
  • Location:San Diego, Ca
GolfWRX Likes : 961

Posted 12 January 2019 - 05:09 AM

The Boulders.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 sabram

sabram

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,538 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 31296
  • Joined: 06/10/2007
  • Location:New York
GolfWRX Likes : 516

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:10 AM

Here's a link to photo tours of 32 area golf courses: https://www.flickr.c...57631875831171/

21

#22 Chanceman

Chanceman

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 403162
  • Joined: 11/17/2015
  • Location:Australia
  • Handicap:19
GolfWRX Likes : 180

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:08 PM

Assuming you only played one of the Talking Stick and WeKoPa courses, you didnt specify, then you can play the other ones, say WKP Cholla and TS Pipaash, plus Wickenburg Ranch, Ak Chin Southern Dunes, the two Boulders courses North/South, the two Grayhawk Raptor/Talon, and I would suggest a possible day trip up to Seven Canyons in Sedona. That makes 9 courses to choose from. Plus Mountain Shadows par 3 course for dessert.

22

#23 NDSwim

NDSwim

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119460
  • Joined: 12/27/2010
  • Location:Arizona
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 12 January 2019 - 06:56 PM

Was just out at Mountain Shadows and the greens are horrible.  I would
not recommend.

23

#24 Kale_m

Kale_m

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,439 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 257042
  • Joined: 06/18/2013
  • Location:Calgary, AB
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 417

Posted 12 January 2019 - 08:27 PM

We are playing the south course at talking stick when we are there for the WMO

Canít wait
Ping G400lst 8.5* handcrafted PX Hzdus yellow 6.5 76g
G400 3w Aldila green mamba 70tx
790 3 iron kbs $-taper 130x
730 4-Pw PX lz 6.0
Tm milled grind 52/56
Tm hi toe 60
Tm spider black 35Ē

24

#25 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,656 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 483

Posted 13 January 2019 - 07:37 PM

View PostKale_m, on 12 January 2019 - 08:27 PM, said:

We are playing the south course at talking stick when we are there for the WMO

Can't wait

, play the North Course.  South is boring, contrived and not as good overall.


25

#26 JHR

JHR

    Major Winner

  • Charter Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,792 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 1089
  • Joined: 05/26/2005
  • Location:michigan
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 14 January 2019 - 01:41 PM

View Postloc, on 08 January 2019 - 04:17 PM, said:

Hello, This will be our 6th year boys Phoenix trip in 2019.

We are going the first week of April Staying in the Scottdale Area most likely.

Looking for some new courses to play.

Here is what we have played in the past:
Visti Verde
Longbow
Sundunes
Legends Trail
Sunridge Canyon
Eagle Mountain
Lookout Mountain
TPC Stadium
TPC Champions
Dinosaur
Talking Stick
Raven at Verrado
Legends Trail
Club West
Quintero
Trilogy
Troon North Monument
Troon North Pinnacle
Sidewinder
Stone Creek
We-Ko-PA
ASU Karsten

Thanks in advance for you suggestions.

Great list! I have played all of these . Arizona is my favorite golf destination. I have a few more to add to list. There is so much golf there and so many great courses.

Grey Hawk
Kierland
Golf Club of Estrella
Poston Butte
Las Sendas
Legacy
Ocotillo
Superstition Springs
Whirlwind - Devils Claw
Wildfire- Palmer and Faldo
Foothills
Dove Valley

26

#27 nocarts83

nocarts83

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464896
  • Joined: 04/24/2017
  • Location:Cary, NC
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 15 January 2019 - 09:38 AM

If Quintero is your favorite, you may have wildly different views of courses (I'd go 1. Wekopa Saguaro 2. TN Pinnacle 3. Wekopa Chola....Quintero close to last), but....

I'm really a fan of Apache Stronghold.  Yes, I am well aware that it is a far drive from Scottsdale and, yes, I'm well aware it's terrible conditioned compared to everything mentioned here.  Yes, there are many ground-under-repairs in the middle of greens.  Yes, I was cleaning dust out of every crevice of my bag and body for weeks.

But otherwise, it's hard to ask for more.  You get elevation and undulation you're asking for and some of the most unique and interesting holes I've ever played.  Some favorites:
-A par 4 where you have to choose between a blind tee shot and a blind approach, or play it as a par 5.  Taking 1 of the shots blind allows to play the other straight on.
-Par 3 with what I'd call a 90 degree rotated Biarritz green such that the valley is parallel to the line of play rather than perpendicular.  Weak players are thrilled to hit the big green, but better players ticked about 3 putting through the valley.
-Drivable par 4 with a hidden slope and pit to swallow reckless tee balls.

If you can overlook the conditioning and enjoy it for what it is, it's a blast.  I paid a combined $25 for the round and a polo, so you can balance out your round at the TPC.

Edited by nocarts83, 15 January 2019 - 09:38 AM.


27

#28 mci711

mci711

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 306

Posted 15 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

View Postnocarts83, on 15 January 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

If Quintero is your favorite, you may have wildly different views of courses (I'd go 1. Wekopa Saguaro 2. TN Pinnacle 3. Wekopa Chola....Quintero close to last), but....

I'm really a fan of Apache Stronghold.  Yes, I am well aware that it is a far drive from Scottsdale and, yes, I'm well aware it's terrible conditioned compared to everything mentioned here.  Yes, there are many ground-under-repairs in the middle of greens.  Yes, I was cleaning dust out of every crevice of my bag and body for weeks.

But otherwise, it's hard to ask for more.  You get elevation and undulation you're asking for and some of the most unique and interesting holes I've ever played.  Some favorites:
-A par 4 where you have to choose between a blind tee shot and a blind approach, or play it as a par 5.  Taking 1 of the shots blind allows to play the other straight on.
-Par 3 with what I'd call a 90 degree rotated Biarritz green such that the valley is parallel to the line of play rather than perpendicular.  Weak players are thrilled to hit the big green, but better players ticked about 3 putting through the valley.
-Drivable par 4 with a hidden slope and pit to swallow reckless tee balls.

If you can overlook the conditioning and enjoy it for what it is, it's a blast.  I paid a combined $25 for the round and a polo, so you can balance out your round at the TPC.

If there was ever a way to get me to not play a course, you just did it.

28

#29 nocarts83

nocarts83

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 88 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 464896
  • Joined: 04/24/2017
  • Location:Cary, NC
  • Handicap:11
GolfWRX Likes : 25

Posted 17 January 2019 - 12:45 PM

View Postmci711, on 15 January 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

View Postnocarts83, on 15 January 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

If Quintero is your favorite, you may have wildly different views of courses (I'd go 1. Wekopa Saguaro 2. TN Pinnacle 3. Wekopa Chola....Quintero close to last), but....

I'm really a fan of Apache Stronghold.  Yes, I am well aware that it is a far drive from Scottsdale and, yes, I'm well aware it's terrible conditioned compared to everything mentioned here.  Yes, there are many ground-under-repairs in the middle of greens.  Yes, I was cleaning dust out of every crevice of my bag and body for weeks.

But otherwise, it's hard to ask for more.  You get elevation and undulation you're asking for and some of the most unique and interesting holes I've ever played.  Some favorites:
-A par 4 where you have to choose between a blind tee shot and a blind approach, or play it as a par 5.  Taking 1 of the shots blind allows to play the other straight on.
-Par 3 with what I'd call a 90 degree rotated Biarritz green such that the valley is parallel to the line of play rather than perpendicular.  Weak players are thrilled to hit the big green, but better players ticked about 3 putting through the valley.
-Drivable par 4 with a hidden slope and pit to swallow reckless tee balls.

If you can overlook the conditioning and enjoy it for what it is, it's a blast.  I paid a combined $25 for the round and a polo, so you can balance out your round at the TPC.

If there was ever a way to get me to not play a course, you just did it.


That's cool.  You can play Quintero, I'll play Apache Stronghold, and everybody goes home happy.  Isn't that what golf's about?

29

#30 mci711

mci711

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 755 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467000
  • Joined: 05/09/2017
  • Location:Chicago
  • Handicap:4.4
GolfWRX Likes : 306

Posted 17 January 2019 - 01:07 PM

View Postnocarts83, on 17 January 2019 - 12:45 PM, said:

View Postmci711, on 15 January 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

View Postnocarts83, on 15 January 2019 - 09:38 AM, said:

If Quintero is your favorite, you may have wildly different views of courses (I'd go 1. Wekopa Saguaro 2. TN Pinnacle 3. Wekopa Chola....Quintero close to last), but....

I'm really a fan of Apache Stronghold.  Yes, I am well aware that it is a far drive from Scottsdale and, yes, I'm well aware it's terrible conditioned compared to everything mentioned here.  Yes, there are many ground-under-repairs in the middle of greens.  Yes, I was cleaning dust out of every crevice of my bag and body for weeks.

But otherwise, it's hard to ask for more.  You get elevation and undulation you're asking for and some of the most unique and interesting holes I've ever played.  Some favorites:
-A par 4 where you have to choose between a blind tee shot and a blind approach, or play it as a par 5.  Taking 1 of the shots blind allows to play the other straight on.
-Par 3 with what I'd call a 90 degree rotated Biarritz green such that the valley is parallel to the line of play rather than perpendicular.  Weak players are thrilled to hit the big green, but better players ticked about 3 putting through the valley.
-Drivable par 4 with a hidden slope and pit to swallow reckless tee balls.

If you can overlook the conditioning and enjoy it for what it is, it's a blast.  I paid a combined $25 for the round and a polo, so you can balance out your round at the TPC.

If there was ever a way to get me to not play a course, you just did it.


That's cool.  You can play Quintero, I'll play Apache Stronghold, and everybody goes home happy.  Isn't that what golf's about?

Of course. Sorry didn't mean to come off confrontational, just making a joke! Everyone likes different courses and different things.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

30



2 user(s) are reading this topic

1 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users


    DrSchteeve

GolfWRX Sponsors