Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Powerbilt Irons and the Iron Designs of the 1940ís-1950ís

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 deejaid

deejaid

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15717
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 08 January 2019 - 12:23 PM

I have the first three model of Ben Hogan irons, Precisionís, Sabers, and Power Thrust.   What strikes me when looking at the design of these clubs is the sole camber and radius.  The earliest set, the Precisionís have a narrower sole, but ir has more camber or radius to it compared to the Saber or Power Thrusts which are wider, completely flat and a sharper leading edge.  Because of this I find the Precisions much easier to hit than the other two.

Now that I got my orange Kaplan book, as I look at the Powerbilt clubs of the 1940ís up until the mid 50ís, their iron designs had much more rounded soles and look much more playable than the later flat sole irons.   They are very Kenneth Smith like in their design and construction, using stainless steel for the head material.

It seems by the late 1950ís, iron design by every manufacturer had gone to the flat sole, sharp leading edge design.   Iím sure this was done for course conditions of the day, but those designs arenít really ideal for todayís courses.

So, the more I get intrigued by the earlier Powerbilt designs, I wanted to know if any of you guys collect and play that era of H&B Powerbiltís and what your impressions are compared to the Wilsons, Macgregors, and Hoganís of the day.

In the bag...

Macgregor Toney Penna Super Eye-O-Matic driver
Macgregor M85 Super Eye-O-Matic 3 & 4 woods
Cleveland Classic TC 15 5-wood
Hogan Precision irons  TT Rocket shafts 3-E
Hogan Sand Iron
H&B Grand Slam Mars 70 putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 deejaid

deejaid

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 08 January 2019 - 01:03 PM

P.S.   also looking so here is my WTB thread

http://www.golfwrx.c...ns-1940s-1950s/
In the bag...

Hogan Sand Iron

#3 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 2022

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:26 PM

Deejaid-

The Orange and Black Kaplan Compilations of the H&B/PowerBilt Catalogs- The one that only goes to 1980 model year.

And which of those 1950s Stainless PowerBilt models would you fancy?     Have a friend with some H&B/PowerBilts, but not likely that old.

Good Luck.

#4 deejaid

deejaid

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

View Postrex235, on 10 January 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

Deejaid-

The Orange and Black Kaplan Compilations of the H&B/PowerBilt Catalogs- The one that only goes to 1980 model year.

And which of those 1950s Stainless PowerBilt models would you fancy?     Have a friend with some H&B/PowerBilts, but not likely that old.

Good Luck.

A few of the early 50’s models really look playable.  These two in particular I’d love to get my hands on.

Posted Image

Posted Image
In the bag...

Hogan Sand Iron

#5 SteveNZ

SteveNZ

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 319415
GolfWRX Likes : 606

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:03 AM

View Postdeejaid, on 10 January 2019 - 09:56 PM, said:

View Postrex235, on 10 January 2019 - 09:26 PM, said:

Deejaid-

Good Luck.

A few of the early 50’s models really look playable.  These two in particular I’d love to get my hands on.

Posted Image

Posted Image

The illustrations on those catalogue pages are  terrific.

#6 JShaw

JShaw

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80343
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

I find it interesting that the screws have been cut through in the wood in the top picture.  I didn't know they came from the factory I like that.  I always assumed that screws cut with groove lines happened at a refinish.

#7 BIG STU

BIG STU

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 284204
  • Handicap:5.0
GolfWRX Likes : 29892

Posted 12 January 2019 - 10:13 PM

View Postdeejaid, on 08 January 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

I have the first three model of Ben Hogan irons, Precision's, Sabers, and Power Thrust.   What strikes me when looking at the design of these clubs is the sole camber and radius.  The earliest set, the Precision's have a narrower sole, but ir has more camber or radius to it compared to the Saber or Power Thrusts which are wider, completely flat and a sharper leading edge.  Because of this I find the Precisions much easier to hit than the other two.

Now that I got my orange Kaplan book, as I look at the Powerbilt clubs of the 1940's up until the mid 50's, their iron designs had much more rounded soles and look much more playable than the later flat sole irons.   They are very Kenneth Smith like in their design and construction, using stainless steel for the head material.

It seems by the late 1950's, iron design by every manufacturer had gone to the flat sole, sharp leading edge design.   I'm sure this was done for course conditions of the day, but those designs aren't really ideal for today's courses.

So, the more I get intrigued by the earlier Powerbilt designs, I wanted to know if any of you guys collect and play that era of H&B Powerbilt's and what your impressions are compared to the Wilsons, Macgregors, and Hogan's of the day.
The only PB irons I played was back in the mid to late 80s--- They were a set of 66 model Horseshoe Citations with X-100 shafts---- I actually traded a second set of 66 333 Custom Spalding Elites for them. I played those until 90 or so. I think those may have been a custom grind set because the soles were thin with a sharp leading edge.Looked just like a set of FCs at address minus the black faces-- They were darn near half worn out when I got them and I finished the job. Never could find another set like those. Most of the clubs in that era for PB had wider soles. Those irons were 2 thru 9 which I did not care because I kept the 333 PW--- Ended up getting my first set of VIPs and the rest is history-- And my PBs were not Scotch blades either totally different soles.

View Postdeejaid, on 08 January 2019 - 01:03 PM, said:

P.S.   also looking so here is my WTB thread

http://www.golfwrx.c...ns-1940s-1950s/
I flipped over to that and for some reason they had locked it down
Driver: Homna G1-X Homna stiff shaft
FW Adams Tight Lies 16* Diamana Reg
Irons 3 thru PW 1982 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts hard stepped-- Yeah MacHogans or Bastardized Macs
SW Macgregor LRA 56* TT Wedge S-400 DJ Special
Putter- 1997 Scotty Cameron Santa Fe Rusty as hell and lead taped
Bag-- Original Ping Hoofer
Founding Father of Outlaw Golf Association member #1---- Play what you want screw the USGA & R&A
Redneck Hippie Golf When the Tailgate drops the BS Stops
Vintage
Toney Penna Model 1 Aldila HM-40
3&4 woods Macgregor DX Keyhole steel TT R
Irons 2 thru 9 1954 Hogan Precision TT green
PW Hogan White Cameo 50* Hogan Apex Wedge
SW Vokey 252 series 56* S-400 wedge
Putter ( subject to change) Cleveland 8802 Designed By
Bag Old School Titleist Stand

#8 OrangeGravy

OrangeGravy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,107 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 322661
  • Handicap:$$
  • Ebay ID:OrangeGravy
GolfWRX Likes : 534

Posted 13 January 2019 - 05:43 AM

This is the one issue that keeps me from buying tons of old iron sets. I keep my eye out for sets that look to have a more playable sole grind, but it's hard to tell from photos for sure. It would be nice to have a list of models that were not ultra flat soled with super sharp leading edges.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors