Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Callaway Superhot Magna


  • Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 erock9174

erock9174

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Joined: 12/23/2010
  • Location:North Canton, OH
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 805

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:44 AM

Supersoft Magna
From Golf Digest:  The Supersoft Magna is an oversized golf ball aimed at everyday players looking for a ball that might improve launch and solid contact. The oversized Magna franchise was introduced a quarter century ago with the idea of straighter flight and forgiveness, and this iteration brings the soft feel, low-spin, low-compression benefits of Supersoft with the visual benefits of a larger ball. The original Magna was 1.72 inches in diameter, vs. most standard golf balls which are 1.68 inches in diameter. (There is no rule on the maximum size of a golf ball; it simply cannot be smaller than 1.68 inches.) The Supersoft Magna is 1.732 inches in diameter.

A larger ball means the ball's center of gravity would be higher than a standard ball, approximately .0TK inches in the case of a Magna. The more the center of gravity of the club at impact is below the center of gravity of the ball, the more backspin will be reduced. Less backspin means more of the ball's energy is directed toward moving forward than spinning. In a word, more distance. A lower center of gravity also can help the ball launch higher. Of course, it also means there are different aerodynamic challenges for Callaway's patented hexagonal-shaped dimples in terms of size and pattern, Bartels said.
"Cross-sectional area being bigger it creates more drag so on the technical side we really spent some time developing the HEX aerodynamics to really mitigate and reduce as much as possible that extra drag," he said.

The Supersoft Magna is designed to be average-golfer, slower-swinger friendly with its soft compression.
“It’s built on the same chassis as Supersoft, with extremely low compression,” Bartels said. “The cover is a little bit thicker on Magna to make up for the extra size and what both of those things do in combination is they help the ball launch higher and with very low spin.”
Bartels said the appeal is that the oversized ball looks almost like it’s teed up in the fairway, which inspires confidence in average golfers.
“We were seeing the quality of the shot was better,” he said. “Some golfers who don’t generally have solid contact are gaining the ball speed and better launch conditions by making better contact off the center of the club face.”

Supersoft Magna ($23) will be in stores Feb. 8.

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG
Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 erock9174

erock9174

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Joined: 12/23/2010
  • Location:North Canton, OH
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 805

Posted 07 January 2019 - 08:57 AM

Posted Image

Edited by erock9174, 07 January 2019 - 08:57 AM.

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG
Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

2

#3 kiddoc

kiddoc

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 541 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33550
  • Joined: 07/02/2007
  • Location:Scottsdale,AZ
GolfWRX Likes : 191

Posted 07 January 2019 - 11:49 AM

I recall the TopFlight Magna

Looks like they are using some patents.

3

#4 tbowles411

tbowles411

    So this just happened! We can barely believe it!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 24,435 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 5624
  • Joined: 08/30/2005
  • Location:Northern Virginia (One day I hope to be a Texan!)
  • Handicap:Golf
GolfWRX Likes : 6406

Posted 07 January 2019 - 12:07 PM

I do too.  It should (hopefully) be softer than the original was.
PING G Driver
PING G Fairway 3 Wood
PING G Hybrids (3, 4)
PING G Irons (5-UW)
PING Glide 2.0 (54SS, 58WS)
PING Vault 2.0 Craz-E
Ball: Titelist AVX

4

#5 storm319

storm319

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,744 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 99866
  • Joined: 12/07/2009
  • Location:US
GolfWRX Likes : 640

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:20 PM

View Postkiddoc, on 07 January 2019 - 11:49 AM, said:

I recall the TopFlight Magna

Looks like they are using some patents.

Yep. Callaway acquired Spalding's golf operations/IP when they filed bankruptcy in 2003 which they used to shape the Callaway ball line and later sold off the Top Flite brand name only to Dick's in 2012.

Very interesting that they would reintroduce this idea as I can't imagine there being a large demographic of slow swingers and beginners willing to pay more for this vs the cheapest ball that they can find. This is destined to be a flop just as the original was in the 90's and in this time they made it even bigger!

Edited by storm319, 07 January 2019 - 09:17 PM.


5

#6 Jungleland

Jungleland

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 445486
  • Joined: 11/02/2016
  • Location:Tampa, FL
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 176

Posted 07 January 2019 - 07:26 PM

Played a sleeve this weekend - there was nothing about this ball I liked. I launch high and I could get another on this ball off the tee, just seemed to fall out of the air. Didn’t care for the feel and I don’t see this as a super soft replacement - took a mediocre ball and made it worse.

6

#7 hef63303

hef63303

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,800 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 9365
  • Joined: 01/04/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 309

Posted 07 January 2019 - 09:09 PM

Don't know about failure in the 90's. My store sold 80-100 dozen a month. Pretty successful for us. Great ball for average players that needed help getting the ball in the air. Haven't tried the new one yet as it really is not designed for me. Certainly will not be the ball for all of the 300+ yard drivers we have here.

7

#8 elwhippy

elwhippy

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,945 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3536
  • Joined: 07/28/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 1240

Posted 08 January 2019 - 02:47 AM

Nothing new here. Lynx offered oversized ammo back in the 1970s. Not sure why they have launched what I see as a gimmick ball when the rest of their range is superb.

8

#9 Maximilian

Maximilian

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 106865
  • Joined: 04/25/2010
  • Location:Stockholm, Sweden
GolfWRX Likes : 603

Posted 08 January 2019 - 03:34 AM

Ill probably get some for my seven year old daughter. Shes good off the tee but struggles a bit without a tee. Hope they come in a few colors.

9

#10 monks66

monks66

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 465294
  • Joined: 04/26/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 143

Posted 08 January 2019 - 06:22 AM

View Posterock9174, on 07 January 2019 - 08:44 AM, said:

Supersoft Magna
From Golf Digest:  The Supersoft Magna is an oversized golf ball aimed at everyday players looking for a ball that might improve launch and solid contact. The oversized Magna franchise was introduced a quarter century ago with the idea of straighter flight and forgiveness, and this iteration brings the soft feel, low-spin, low-compression benefits of Supersoft with the visual benefits of a larger ball. The original Magna was 1.72 inches in diameter, vs. most standard golf balls which are 1.68 inches in diameter. (There is no rule on the maximum size of a golf ball; it simply cannot be smaller than 1.68 inches.) The Supersoft Magna is 1.732 inches in diameter.

A larger ball means the ball's center of gravity would be higher than a standard ball, approximately .0TK inches in the case of a Magna. The more the center of gravity of the club at impact is below the center of gravity of the ball, the more backspin will be reduced. Less backspin means more of the ball's energy is directed toward moving forward than spinning. In a word, more distance. A lower center of gravity also can help the ball launch higher. Of course, it also means there are different aerodynamic challenges for Callaway's patented hexagonal-shaped dimples in terms of size and pattern, Bartels said.
"Cross-sectional area being bigger it creates more drag so on the technical side we really spent some time developing the HEX aerodynamics to really mitigate and reduce as much as possible that extra drag," he said.

The Supersoft Magna is designed to be average-golfer, slower-swinger friendly with its soft compression.
“It’s built on the same chassis as Supersoft, with extremely low compression,” Bartels said. “The cover is a little bit thicker on Magna to make up for the extra size and what both of those things do in combination is they help the ball launch higher and with very low spin.”
Bartels said the appeal is that the oversized ball looks almost like it’s teed up in the fairway, which inspires confidence in average golfers.
“We were seeing the quality of the shot was better,” he said. “Some golfers who don’t generally have solid contact are gaining the ball speed and better launch conditions by making better contact off the center of the club face.”

Supersoft Magna ($23) will be in stores Feb. 8.

For those older golfers, I am sure you remember the Topflite Magna and Pinnacle also made an oversized , I know my father loved the Magna.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:02 AM

Played the original, the only thing I remembered, it did not affect slices and hooks as much as it was advertised.

Any idea on the compression? Perhaps, a good winter ball?

Edited by Tanner25, 08 January 2019 - 08:03 AM.


11

#12 Jagpilotohio

Jagpilotohio

    45+ inch drivers are evil.

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 395936
  • Joined: 09/14/2015
  • Location:Columbus, OH
  • Handicap:1.2
  • Ebay ID:Jagpilotohio
GolfWRX Likes : 5646

Posted 08 January 2019 - 08:23 AM

Hummmmmm.  I sense some marketing jumbo jumbo.  If it’s bigger, I don’t care what they do to the dimples, how can it not create more drag and be shorter?

The idea seems to be the exact opposite of why smaller balls are non conforming and not allowed....they go too far and are less affected by the wind.

My horse poop meter is going off. I smell something unpleasant.


9.5* Cobra LTD,  Old school Grafalloy Blue, 43.5"
14* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X 42"
16* Cally 815 alpha fuji 665 X, 41.5" (set to 17*)
19* Titleist 816 H2 fuji 8.8X TS 40.0"
4-9 2016 Hogan PTx, KBS Tour V, 120X
Ping glide 2 46-12, 50-12, 54-14 (at 55) stealth, 60-14(at 61) stealth, All wedges Recoil Proto 125 F5
33.5" Ghost spider slant neck.
Srixon Z-star XV

12

#13 arbeck

arbeck

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 389274
  • Joined: 08/02/2015
  • Location:Seattle
GolfWRX Likes : 136

Posted 08 January 2019 - 09:17 AM

 Jagpilotohio, on 08 January 2019 - 08:23 AM, said:

Hummmmmm.  I sense some marketing jumbo jumbo.  If it’s bigger, I don’t care what they do to the dimples, how can it not create more drag and be shorter?

The idea seems to be the exact opposite of why smaller balls are non conforming and not allowed....they go too far and are less affected by the wind.

My horse poop meter is going off. I smell something unpleasant.

On two equivalent strikes, yes the bigger ball would be shorter due to aerodynamic effects. By the same rule a 300cc driver will move faster than a 460cc driver. In both these cases what matters is making it easier to hit a portion of the object near it's CG. If you can't hit near the CG it doesn't matter how it moves through the air. This ball will raise the CG higher off the ground and should make it easier to hit. The distance lost by being bigger should be made up for by better strikes. Better strikes should make the game more enjoyable. It remains to be seen how much help this ball could give, but my guess is no one posting here should need it.
Ping Traverse
King Cobra F7 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Tensi CK Blue 60
TEE E8 4W, 7W
Mizuno JPX-900 Hot Metal 5-SW w/ Veylix Alpina 873
TEE CB PROs 60*
Scotty Cameron Squareback

13

#14 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 09 January 2019 - 07:43 PM

Nice vid.....

https://www.youtube....h?v=d_QWWobqcRI

14

#15 wfrogge1

wfrogge1

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88478
  • Joined: 07/14/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 321

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

Who has big balls? Callaway has big balls....


15

#16 augustgolf

augustgolf

    Golf with dignity

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Joined: 08/25/2016
  • Location:Coastal NC
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 4230

Posted 09 January 2019 - 08:46 PM

 wfrogge1, on 09 January 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Who has big balls? Callaway has big balls....
Nice AC/DC reference

Swinging to the left & to the right
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

16

#17 just plain bill

just plain bill

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Joined: 06/06/2015
  • Location:austin, tx
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:12 PM

i loved the top flite magna. and i wasnt a senior, either, lol...i could crush it off the tee, and didnt mind the chipping/putting either...where it shined for me was the fact it definitely sat up higher in the fairway, which made it easier for me to make solid contact at the time.
think of it like this: could you make solid contact if the ball was the size of a pea? or as big as a tennis ball? yeah, most of us here can reliably make good contact with today's ball, and certainly my 2nd and 3rd shots have improved, mainly because i'm not trying to murder the ball,  but i will give this new version of magna a try for sure, and we'll see how it goes. my daughter liked em as well, as i recall. it just makes it easier to make great contact from the fwy or rough cuz it's sitting higher.
i did shoot a 73 with it at hillcrest in sun city west back in the day. i may have shot another 73 with it in phx, but not sure which ball iused that day, mainly because they stopped selling the magna, and i moved to a nike 2-piece just to feel a connection to a certain golfer (not that he uses a 2-piece, of course) but you know how it is. isnt that why we buy certain apparel, and clubs, and bags, etc? we wanna be like mike (or tiger. but not charles)
driver: Nike Sasquatch 16*  
fwy: Ping K15 7wd 22* (from Japan) Taylormade M2  24*
hyb:   Ping G20:  31*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8,9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap. senior graphite.
putter:      Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball: Pinnacle Soft
bag:    Ping cart
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chess:   "it's your turn.com"  -  just plain bill
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.  (Tommy Armour)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

17

#18 Snowman9000

Snowman9000

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 996 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 107588
  • Joined: 05/08/2010
  • Location:North central IL
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 283

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:19 PM

They probably have enough core technology to overcome the drag disadvantage of the larger ball.
I wrote something up on another forum today, a story about my friend Scoopy Picker.  One day last season he played one of those old Magnas, and it was the best ball striking any of us had seen from him in maybe forever.

Because his low spot is way behind the ball, he has to catch the ball on the upswing.  So he hits a lot of terrible shots.  The thinner the lie, the worse the trouble for him.  This day with the Magna, it was remarkable for him.  We didn't know what it was.  At one point he said something like, "this ball looks bigger".  That's when I took a look and figured out why he was doing so much better with it.  It's not much bigger, but he has finely honed his scoop to still catch the ball, and having it just a smidge bigger really did help.

  I just sent him a link to an article about the new one.  He's on board!

Edited by Snowman9000, 10 January 2019 - 08:19 PM.

Driver 915 D2
5W Wilson Fybrid
4h, 5h Adams Idea Tech 2015
5-AW Snake Eyes Viper MS, graphite
58º Callaway MD2 Forged S grind
Putter TM Rossa Daytona 6

18

#19 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

 Snowman9000, on 10 January 2019 - 08:19 PM, said:

They probably have enough core technology to overcome the drag disadvantage of the larger ball.
I wrote something up on another forum today, a story about my friend Scoopy Picker.  One day last season he played one of those old Magnas, and it was the best ball striking any of us had seen from him in maybe forever.

Because his low spot is way behind the ball, he has to catch the ball on the upswing.  So he hits a lot of terrible shots.  The thinner the lie, the worse the trouble for him.  This day with the Magna, it was remarkable for him.  We didn't know what it was.  At one point he said something like, "this ball looks bigger".  That's when I took a look and figured out why he was doing so much better with it.  It's not much bigger, but he has finely honed his scoop to still catch the ball, and having it just a smidge bigger really did help.

  I just sent him a link to an article about the new one.  He's on board!

Sounds like me, fat, scoop and flip. Might have to try the Magna with the Count Yogi method, lol

19

#20 erock9174

erock9174

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 119277
  • Joined: 12/23/2010
  • Location:North Canton, OH
  • Handicap:9.5
GolfWRX Likes : 805

Posted 11 January 2019 - 07:31 AM

Every time I read Magna I think of Dr Evil saying liquid hot Magma.

Driver: Taylormade M3 12* FG
Fairway: Ping G400 SFT 5w
Hybrids: Exotics Xrail 23*/26*
Irons: Ping G700 6-UW
Wedges: Ping Glide Stealth 2.0 56*/ 60* / Callaway Sure Out 64*

Putter: Ping Tyne H
Bag: Sun Mountain Four 5

Tracking: Game Golf

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

20

#21 just plain bill

just plain bill

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Joined: 06/06/2015
  • Location:austin, tx
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 11 January 2019 - 08:03 AM

View Posterock9174, on 11 January 2019 - 07:31 AM, said:

Every time I read Magna I think of Dr Evil saying liquid hot Magma.
Every time I click on 'my content' I think of "...my contentment..." from white room by cream. Good lord, I thought I was losing my mind!
driver: Nike Sasquatch 16*  
fwy: Ping K15 7wd 22* (from Japan) Taylormade M2  24*
hyb:   Ping G20:  31*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8,9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap. senior graphite.
putter:      Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball: Pinnacle Soft
bag:    Ping cart
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chess:   "it's your turn.com"  -  just plain bill
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.  (Tommy Armour)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

21

#22 Hertsjoatmon

Hertsjoatmon

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 500716
  • Joined: 05/02/2018
  • Location:Hertfordshire
  • Handicap:28
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 14 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

Looking forward to giving this ago. According to my Game Golf data, most of my shots lost are on my second shot. This should help greatly with that.
Callaway GBB 10.5 @ 11.5 toe up 1 - Recoil 450 f3 @ 43.5" - D2 (going to shorten to 43")
Bertha Mini 1.5 14 @15 toe up 1 - Speeder 665 R @42.5" - D1.5 (going to shorten to 41.25")
Big Bertha 18 @20 toe up 1 - Currently looking for a 70g shaft to play @ 40" - D1
Big Bertha 4 hybrid - 80g R 38.75" D1.5
Adams New Idea Hybrids 5 - 85g rocketfuel steel shafts R - D1.5
Adams New Idea Hybid irons 6-8 - Ping AWT 2.0 R shafts - D2
Adams New Idea irons 9-PW - Ping AWT 2.0 R shafts - D2.5
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 CB 50.06 55.11 - D3
Ping Tour-W 60.08 - D4
Odyssey 2 Ball fang
e6 soft

Second Iron set - Nike Vapor Fly Pro P-5 XP95 R (will shorten with 3/8 gapping around a 37" 7 iron @ D2)

90mph SS
longest drive 2018 (measured with GameGolf) - 264 yards

22

#23 just plain bill

just plain bill

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Joined: 06/06/2015
  • Location:austin, tx
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 14 January 2019 - 09:36 AM

Exactly! Plus they worked on the aerodynamics to limit any distance loss. I won two tournament driving contest holes with it back in the day. When I was young. And strong. Etc. But the way it sits up makes a big difference. Almost like it's on a tee. That 2nd shot always was my downfall as well. Magna helped make better contact.
driver: Nike Sasquatch 16*  
fwy: Ping K15 7wd 22* (from Japan) Taylormade M2  24*
hyb:   Ping G20:  31*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8,9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap. senior graphite.
putter:      Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball: Pinnacle Soft
bag:    Ping cart
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chess:   "it's your turn.com"  -  just plain bill
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.  (Tommy Armour)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

23

#24 ChronicSlicer

ChronicSlicer

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 444562
  • Joined: 10/23/2016
  • Location:WPA
GolfWRX Likes : 612

Posted 19 January 2019 - 06:17 PM

View Postaugustgolf, on 09 January 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

View Postwfrogge1, on 09 January 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Who has big balls? Callaway has big balls....
Nice AC/DC reference

Swinging to the left & to the right

Bouncing, bouncing to the left and to the right.

24

#25 Tanner25

Tanner25

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,085 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
  • Joined: 01/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 413

Posted 19 January 2019 - 07:24 PM

View PostChronicSlicer, on 19 January 2019 - 06:17 PM, said:

View Postaugustgolf, on 09 January 2019 - 08:46 PM, said:

View Postwfrogge1, on 09 January 2019 - 08:31 PM, said:

Who has big balls? Callaway has big balls....
Nice AC/DC reference

Swinging to the left & to the right

Bouncing, bouncing to the left and to the right.

Anyone get their hands on these early? 2-8 avx in stores.

Edited by Tanner25, 19 January 2019 - 09:36 PM.


25

#26 just plain bill

just plain bill

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Joined: 06/06/2015
  • Location:austin, tx
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 19 January 2019 - 08:03 PM

this ball is gonna be the ball that changed the baller!
driver: Nike Sasquatch 16*  
fwy: Ping K15 7wd 22* (from Japan) Taylormade M2  24*
hyb:   Ping G20:  31*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8,9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap. senior graphite.
putter:      Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball: Pinnacle Soft
bag:    Ping cart
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chess:   "it's your turn.com"  -  just plain bill
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.  (Tommy Armour)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

26

#27 Ghostwedge

Ghostwedge

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 433482
  • Joined: 07/20/2016
  • Handicap:8.0
GolfWRX Likes : 309

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:01 PM

Two things .... the mid to high handicapper only hits 20% of his GIR from 150-200 yds, even if itʻs just good vibes from sittin up a smidge in the fairway. Thats a good thing.
Iʻm starting to get comfortable leaving the flagstik in on short putts, less room with a larger ball, bad vibes ?

27

#28 just plain bill

just plain bill

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Joined: 06/06/2015
  • Location:austin, tx
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted 19 January 2019 - 09:23 PM

i was thinking about that last night. if the ball was the size of a pea, it would fall less often. that tiny amount of ball touching the surface would require a really tight putt if it greases the edges. the larger ball, with more ball touching the putting surface, would have a greater opportunity to fall off the cliff into the hole.
i never had an issue putting with the old magna, but we pulled pins. funny, but the magna will sit up better, even though it's not much bigger than a standard ball. it's gonna be a winner, i'm betting.

as for 20% from 150-200...i dont keep stats, except putting. if i'm 150 out and i'm not on the green, i'm gonna be close. the pw will get me close to the hole. and i can 1-putt from there. anything else, like actually getting on the green (sometimes) is gravy to me.

now, if i'm 170 par 3, i'm swinging the sweet 16 and getting on the green about 40%. 60% i'm just off to the left, but middle of the green high. i rarely bogie that hole.  it's the club, believe me.
driver: Nike Sasquatch 16*  
fwy: Ping K15 7wd 22* (from Japan) Taylormade M2  24*
hyb:   Ping G20:  31*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8,9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap. senior graphite.
putter:      Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball: Pinnacle Soft
bag:    Ping cart
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chess:   "it's your turn.com"  -  just plain bill
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.  (Tommy Armour)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

28

#29 just plain bill

just plain bill

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,445 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 379434
  • Joined: 06/06/2015
  • Location:austin, tx
  • Handicap:5.5
  • Ebay ID:billharmonica
GolfWRX Likes : 288

Posted Yesterday, 03:01 PM

magna in yellow! i'm an owner!
driver: Nike Sasquatch 16*  
fwy: Ping K15 7wd 22* (from Japan) Taylormade M2  24*
hyb:   Ping G20:  31*
irons:    Ping Karsten  8,9, pw (ks 401 shafts sr flex)
wedges:   Ping G20 58* lob, 54* sw, 50* gap. senior graphite.
putter:      Odyssey Versa Jailbird
ball: Pinnacle Soft
bag:    Ping cart
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

chess:   "it's your turn.com"  -  just plain bill
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________
Play the shot you've got the greatest chance of playing well.
Play the shot that makes the next shot easy.  (Tommy Armour)
_______________________________________________________________________________________________________________

29



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors