Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Scratch Golf Original Persimmon Woods, anyone have info?

Persimmon Vintage Question

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 J_Shuttlesworth

J_Shuttlesworth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466912
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:jarebeatt0
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 04 January 2019 - 08:24 AM

I was wondering if anyone had any information on these Scratch Persimmon Woods I came across at work. I run a small-mid sized ebay store that normally focuses on cheap replacement shafts. My boss bought out a large collection of persimmon/ classic clubs and ive been going through them. My main question on these is were they made by the same scratch golf company that most of us are familiar with? Also what kind of value these clubs would have? I did some research on ebay and google and could not find anything on these clubs. Any info would be much appreciated!

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20190104_080758247.jpg
  • IMG_20190104_080826240.jpg
  • IMG_20190104_080900679.jpg
  • IMG_20190104_080949093.jpg

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 scomac2002

scomac2002

Inside the Starters' Hut

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,819 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 109841
GolfWRX Likes : 17128

Posted 04 January 2019 - 10:05 AM

They're pretty.  Looks like they've never seen a golf ball.
Your problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent!

#3 NRJyzr

NRJyzr

Certified Blade Chump

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,967 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 72626
  • Handicap:7
  • Ebay ID:n.r.jyzr
GolfWRX Likes : 5444

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:55 AM

Thought I'd remembered seeing these before.  Found the thread, they're Powell-made.

Here's the original post from Air of Scratch Golf.  Side note:  Website link in the post probably no longer works

View PostFairwayFred, on 15 April 2010 - 10:22 AM, said:

People have been asking if Scratch was ever going to make drivers.  While we are not planning to ever make a metal driver or fairway woods we decided to make a very small Limited run of 10 Hand Made Scratch SG10 Deep Face Persimmon drivers.  These are made by hand by John Powell of Joe Powell golf and are just absolutely stunning.  The face is 2" deep very similar to the legendary MacGregor M09 LFF or George Bayer DFD.  The face has a very unique White/Green/White "Eye-O-Matic" type insert.  The specs are 43.5", 11* loft, 1* open, 56* lie with a Dynamic Gold S300 shaft and Scratch PURE grip.  These 10 Limited drivers are for sale for $350.  We can also make a custom Hand Made Persimmon driver in ANY custom specs that you want.  We have many stain colors and inserts available.  We also have 3 different face depths available.  Standard, Mid and the Deep Face head which is what these Limited drivers are made from.  The custom drivers are $400 each.  Anyone that is interested email me at ari_techner@scratchgolf.com and I will get you taken care of.

Scratch Golf Homepage

The Ever Changing Bag!

Driver:  Cobra King LTD, ProtoPype 80x or RIP 80x, 43.5" -or- SuperDeep 9.5*, ProtoPype 80x or NV85x, 43.5"
3w:  Cobra King LTD, Motore F1 85 X, 42.5"
1 iron:  Maxfli Revolution, DGS400
2-PW, Golden Ram Tour Grind, Dynamic S
SW:  Acer XB 58*, DGS300 tipped
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34.5", PP58 midsize grip
(Cleveland Huntington Beach #1 35" -or- Mizuno TPM-2, 35" as backups)
Balls:  in no particular order...  Wilson Staff FG Tour, Duo Urethane, or 50 Elite, Srixon ZStar/ZStar XV
   will trot out Maxfli HT-100 or Elite 90 from time to time
Shoes by True Linkswear

#4 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,623 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 4242

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:02 PM

Can't provide any type of really useful information on the woods you pictured, OP, other than that they have a fiber insert, which was prevalent in PowerBilt woods of the late 60's and early 70's. Louisville Golf also produced woods with this insert, and it appears that Powell also utilized them.

Great for play with a balata ball. Haven't hit any "modern" balls (produced after 2015) with them, as I still have my PowerBilt driver from my youth....a real fairway finder of a club.
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#5 deejaid

deejaid

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 292 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 15717
GolfWRX Likes : 386

Posted 04 January 2019 - 12:13 PM

View PostNRJyzr, on 04 January 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Thought I'd remembered seeing these before.  Found the thread, they're Powell-made.

Here's the original post from Air of Scratch Golf.  Side note:  Website link in the post probably no longer works

People have been asking if Scratch was ever going to make drivers.  While we are not planning to ever make a metal driver or fairway woods we decided to make a very small Limited run of 10 Hand Made Scratch SG10 Deep Face Persimmon drivers.  These are made by hand by John Powell of Joe Powell golf and are just absolutely stunning.  The face is 2" deep very similar to the legendary MacGregor M09 LFF or George Bayer DFD.  The face has a very unique White/Green/White "Eye-O-Matic" type insert.  The specs are 43.5", 11* loft, 1* open, 56* lie with a Dynamic Gold S300 shaft and Scratch PURE grip.  These 10 Limited drivers are for sale for $350.  We can also make a custom Hand Made Persimmon driver in ANY custom specs that you want.  We have many stain colors and inserts available.  We also have 3 different face depths available.  Standard, Mid and the Deep Face head which is what these Limited drivers are made from.  The custom drivers are $400 each.  Anyone that is interested email me at ari_techner@scratchgolf.com and I will get you taken care of.

Scratch Golf Homepage

I’m guessing these Scratch woods are a different company than Scratch Golf of just a few years ago that made custom Don White ground irons.

As you quoted NRJyzr, the special run done recently by Scratch Golf were drivers only, deep faced, and had Eye-O-Matic style inserts.  Those shown here include fairway woods and are not deep faced, nor do they have the Eye-O-Matic insert.

Also, the Scratch logo or font is much different on these woods than the Olde English font Scratch Golf used on their irons.

I’d bet these woods are from the early 80’s or so.

In the bag...

Macgregor Toney Penna Super Eye-O-Matic driver
Macgregor M85 Super Eye-O-Matic 3 & 4 woods
Cleveland Classic TC 15 5-wood
Hogan Precision irons  TT Rocket shafts 3-E
Hogan Sand Iron
H&B Grand Slam Mars 70 putter

#6 J_Shuttlesworth

J_Shuttlesworth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:13 PM

View Postdeejaid, on 04 January 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

View PostNRJyzr, on 04 January 2019 - 11:55 AM, said:

Scratch Golf Homepage

I’m guessing these Scratch woods are a different company than Scratch Golf of just a few years ago that made custom Don White ground irons.

As you quoted NRJyzr, the special run done recently by Scratch Golf were drivers only, deep faced, and had Eye-O-Matic style inserts.  Those shown here include fairway woods and are not deep faced, nor do they have the Eye-O-Matic insert.

Also, the Scratch logo or font is much different on these woods than the Olde English font Scratch Golf used on their irons.

I’d bet these woods are from the early 80’s or so.
I think you are correct. After seeing that post these are most likely a different manufacturer.

#7 J_Shuttlesworth

J_Shuttlesworth

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:15 PM

View Postaugustgolf, on 04 January 2019 - 12:02 PM, said:

Can't provide any type of really useful information on the woods you pictured, OP, other than that they have a fiber insert, which was prevalent in PowerBilt woods of the late 60's and early 70's. Louisville Golf also produced woods with this insert, and it appears that Powell also utilized them.

Great for play with a balata ball. Haven't hit any "modern" balls (produced after 2015) with them, as I still have my PowerBilt driver from my youth....a real fairway finder of a club.
Thanks for the info! They are a great looking clubs, I might have to shag them for myself!

#8 rex235

rex235

Major Winner

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 3,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 95615
  • Ebay ID:brsmooth235
GolfWRX Likes : 2022

Posted 04 January 2019 - 03:25 PM

Shuttlesworth-

According to the info in this thread, these Scratch Persimmon woods were made by Joe Powell, who was also contracted to make those first Titleist Tour Persimmon woods.

Also tagged with Persimmon, Vintage, Question

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors