Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Where is the best competition for junior golf?

32 replies to this topic

#31 CTgolf

CTgolf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 124521
GolfWRX Likes : 269

Posted 05 January 2019 - 08:45 AM

View Postyellowlover519, on 03 January 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

View Postjj9000, on 03 January 2019 - 06:47 PM, said:

View Postyellowlover519, on 03 January 2019 - 06:02 PM, said:

Also - instruction/facilities are pretty irrelevant; it's  not like most people will pay for "top" rated instructors or belong to the top country clubs.  The real reason why more pros/ junior golfers come out of FL, TX and CA is bc a greater number of parents/children are willing to go all in on golf - even if that means huge sacrifices, including academics.  Not just being a 4.0 student at some small obscure town, but really being able to have the same academic foundation to go to a top college and succeed at such institution (you just wouldn't have the time to practice golf as much as it takes to be a top junior and study).  Forget all the other social sacrifices.  Because you have more "all in" players, you have much better competition locally, which I do believe is a key ingredient to becoming an elite junior golfer.  The reality is that you have a better chance of making millions in finance than becoming a professional athlete.  If you were to expend similar hours on academics as some of these parents do in golf, you would have an easier road to a top university, followed by a big-bank job, followed by a private equity gig.

I disagree with the theory of 'all-in' parents in TX/FL/CA being the driver for more top golfers coming from these states, in comparison to the Tri-State area.

Set parenting aside for a moment.  Being able to play golf 12 months per year...every year...is likely a bigger contributor.

Didn't the recent junior am champion come from MA?  

Michael Thorbjornsen (#9 overall JGS) does come from MA, but I believe he attends IMG in FL

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#32 GolfSRQ

GolfSRQ

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 513876
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 23

Posted 05 January 2019 - 06:21 PM

Also - instruction/facilities are pretty irrelevant; it’s  not like most people will pay for “top” rated instructors or belong to the top country clubs.  The real reason why more pros/ junior golfers come out of FL, TX and CA is bc a greater number of parents/children are willing to go all in on golf - even if that means huge sacrifices, including academics.  Not just being a 4.0 student at some small obscure town, but really being able to have the same academic foundation to go to a top college and succeed at such institution (you just wouldn’t have the time to practice golf as much as it takes to be a top junior and study).  Forget all the other social sacrifices.  Because you have more “all in” players, you have much better competition locally, which I do believe is a key ingredient to becoming an elite junior golfer.  The reality is that you have a better chance of making millions in finance than becoming a professional athlete.  If you were to expend similar hours on academics as some of these parents do in golf, you would have an easier road to a top university, followed by a big-bank job, followed by a private equity gig.

I disagree with the theory of 'all-in' parents in TX/FL/CA being the driver for more top golfers coming from these states, in comparison to the Tri-State area.

Set parenting aside for a moment.  Being able to play golf 12 months per year...every year...is likely a bigger contributor.
It’s being able to play all year.  Same 3 states also produce far more 4 and 5 star football recruits than anywhere else.
I grew up in NJ and moved to FL.  Parents are more competitive / intense in NJ than here in FL.  Down here you  can play all the time. It makes a big difference for all outdoor sports

#33 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 06 January 2019 - 10:29 AM

View Postyellowlover519, on 03 January 2019 - 07:29 PM, said:

Also - instruction/facilities are pretty irrelevant; it's  not like most people will pay for "top" rated instructors or belong to the top country clubs.  The real reason why more pros/ junior golfers come out of FL, TX and CA is bc a greater number of parents/children are willing to go all in on golf - even if that means huge sacrifices, including academics.  Not just being a 4.0 student at some small obscure town, but really being able to have the same academic foundation to go to a top college and succeed at such institution (you just wouldn't have the time to practice golf as much as it takes to be a top junior and study).  Forget all the other social sacrifices.  Because you have more "all in" players, you have much better competition locally, which I do believe is a key ingredient to becoming an elite junior golfer.  The reality is that you have a better chance of making millions in finance than becoming a professional athlete.  If you were to expend similar hours on academics as some of these parents do in golf, you would have an easier road to a top university, followed by a big-bank job, followed by a private equity gig.

We are kind of saying the same thing.  Whether it's playing year-round golf or going all in, where you're from doesn't necessarily dictate how much golf you can get during a year.  You can travel and there are indoor practice facilities everywhere.  Didn't the recent junior am champion come from MA?  I know a kid from CT that ha finished top 5 at worlds every year since he was 6.  It's the drive of parents and/or kids to go all in.

Ultimately the kids in better climates who are able to play year-round will be closer to reaching their potential than kids who can only play 7-9 months of the year

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors