Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Planning trip to Sand Valley

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Caddie Master

Caddie Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 467918
  • Handicap:1.8
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:03 PM

I am planning a trip to Sand Valley-Mammoth Dunes-Sand Box in early May. I learned a great deal from reading other threads, but many of the comments posted there are older, thus, I thought to ask if anyone has further, more recent advice as I make plans: order to play courses in; lodging (on site or vacation rental); caddies; amenities; things to bring; etc.? All suggestions welcome and appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Driver: Ping G400 LST, 10°, Atmos Tour Spec 6S
5 Wood: Ping G400, 17.5°, Atmos Tour Spec 7X
3-4: Mizuno MP18 Hi-Fli, KBS Tour 120 – S
5-7: Mizuno MP18 SC, KBS Tour 120 – S
8-PW: Mizuno MP18, KBS Tour 120 – S
50° Miura (New Wedge Series), KBS Tour 120 – S
55° Miura (New Wedge Series), KBS Tour 120 – S
60° Miura (New Wedge Series), KBS Tour 120 – S
Putter: Titleist Scotty Cameron, Newport Two, Gun Metal
Ball: TP5

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 nandoal

nandoal

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 123 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33129
  • Ebay ID:nandoal26
GolfWRX Likes : 5

Posted 29 December 2018 - 08:28 PM

What are your specific questions?
Ping G400 Max Paderson KINETIXX VMT Amorphous 870 Driver Shaft
Taylor Made M3 15* Aldila Tour Blue nxt Gen MLT Graphite Wood Shaft

PXG 0317 22* Matrix DEUS Graphite Hybrid Shaft

PXG 0317 25* Matrix DEUS Graphite Hybrid Shaft

PXG 0311XF 6-PW True Temper AMT Red

PXG 0311XF GW and SW KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Titleist Vokey SM7 56* S grind / 60* K grind Jet black finish

Titleist Scotty Cameron putter Futura 5W / 33 inches

Titleist bag - Players 4UP StayDry stand bag

#3 marks21

marks21

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 124 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 296651
GolfWRX Likes : 65

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:08 PM

We came up from Iowa for a short trip last summer. Played 18 at Lawsonia Links before heading to SV. Arrived on Saturday and played Mammoth Dunes. We finished our round early enough and went out to the Sandbox and played during the sunset. Sunday we played Sand Valley in the morning and the afternoon on Mammoth. Checked out Monday and played our last round on SV. Both courses were great, Sand Valley is more challenging as the fairways are a bit narrower but Mammoth allows for a lot of creativity. The first round on Mammoth I played more conservative, laid up vs taking the  “speed slots” and shot one of my best rounds of the year. The 2nd round was more fun, drove a few greens but also hit more bunkers since I played more aggressive. We stayed on site and while probably more expensive than staying off site, the convenience of everything was well worth it. We used the junior caddies and while it wasn’t an overly hard walk,  it beat carrying or using a push cart which was nice, especially on when playing 36. The junior caddie was sufficient, carried and cleaned our clubs, gave me yardages and provided general knowledge of the hole. Having played the courses now, I don’t think I would use caddies again.  We are heading up in May again this year. Will probably follow a similar set up as we did on 2018.

Edited by marks21, 29 December 2018 - 11:58 PM.

Cobra F7+ Driver 9* Aldila Tour Green 75 X
Callaway GBB 816 15* Aldila Tour Green 85 X
Mizuno MP18 SC 3-PW KBS C Taper S+
Muira Wedge Series 51* 55* 59*
Toulon Portland H3
Titleist ProV1X

#4 Caddie Master

Caddie Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 29 December 2018 - 09:55 PM

marks21, on 29 December 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

We came up from Iowa for a short trip last summer. Played 18 at Lawsonia Links before heading to SV. Arrived on Saturday and played Mammoth Dunes. We finished our round early enough and went out to the Sandbox and played during the sunset. Sunday we played Sand Valley in the morning and the afternoon on Mammoth. Checked out Monday and played our last round on SV. Both courses were great, Sand Valley is more challenging as the fairways are a bit narrower but Mammoth allows for a lot of creativity. The first round on Mammoth I played more conservative, laid up vs taking the  “speed slots” and shot one of my best rounds of the year. The 2nd round was more fun, drove a few greens but also hit more bunkers since I played more aggressive. We stayed on site and while probably more expensive than staying off site, the convenience of everything was well worth it. We used the junior caddies and while it wasn’t an overly hard work,  it carrying or using a push cart was nice. The junior caddie was sufficient, carried and cleaned our clubs, gave me yardages and provided general knowledge of the hole. Having played the courses now, I don’t think I would use caddies again.  We are heading up in May again this year. Will probably follow a similar set up as we did on 2018.

Thanks! When you played SV then MD, did the second round on different course count as replay and thus you got the half priced green fee? Do you think it best to play them in that order; i.e., was one more tiring than the other and so best to play in certain order (there is a lot of advice about which order to play  courses at Bandon, for example, due to physical demands, wind at time of day, etc.)?

#5 Scooter321

Scooter321

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 389 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 380612
GolfWRX Likes : 30

Posted 29 December 2018 - 11:22 PM

Caddie Master, on 29 December 2018 - 09:55 PM, said:

marks21, on 29 December 2018 - 09:08 PM, said:

We came up from Iowa for a short trip last summer. Played 18 at Lawsonia Links before heading to SV. Arrived on Saturday and played Mammoth Dunes. We finished our round early enough and went out to the Sandbox and played during the sunset. Sunday we played Sand Valley in the morning and the afternoon on Mammoth. Checked out Monday and played our last round on SV. Both courses were great, Sand Valley is more challenging as the fairways are a bit narrower but Mammoth allows for a lot of creativity. The first round on Mammoth I played more conservative, laid up vs taking the  “speed slots” and shot one of my best rounds of the year. The 2nd round was more fun, drove a few greens but also hit more bunkers since I played more aggressive. We stayed on site and while probably more expensive than staying off site, the convenience of everything was well worth it. We used the junior caddies and while it wasn’t an overly hard work,  it carrying or using a push cart was nice. The junior caddie was sufficient, carried and cleaned our clubs, gave me yardages and provided general knowledge of the hole. Having played the courses now, I don’t think I would use caddies again.  We are heading up in May again this year. Will probably follow a similar set up as we did on 2018.

Thanks! When you played SV then MD, did the second round on different course count as replay and thus you got the half priced green fee? Do you think it best to play them in that order; i.e., was one more tiring than the other and so best to play in certain order (there is a lot of advice about which order to play  courses at Bandon, for example, due to physical demands, wind at time of day, etc.)?

Yes counts as replay rate. Dont think order matters. I would do 18 and par 3 one day and 36 (one on each course) following day. Also worth driving to Erin Hills and Whistling Straits if you want to add more rounds. Easy drives. Did a trip with 5 rounds plus the par 3 in 4 days and loved it.

Titleist 915D2 9.5° Aldila Rogue Silver 60X
Sonartec NP-99 15° Aldila NV 75S
Titleist 818H1 21° Mitsubishi Tensei White 90HY X
Ping i200 4-UW Project X 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 54-14 F Grind and 58-10 S Grind WedgeWorks Raw Project X 6.0
Gauge Design GAA3 ETBW Putter
Bridgestone B330S

#6 PureGolf313

PureGolf313

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 420976
  • Handicap:12
  • Ebay ID:puckhead314
GolfWRX Likes : 59

Posted 31 December 2018 - 01:58 AM

I have a lake home a mile away from SV and know the area very well, What many people miss is that if you stay on site you will not even know but there are two great courses in the development where my lake home is called Lake Arrowhead. https://www.lakearrowheadgolf.com/ Great courses in very good condition with very reasonable greens fees . I tell people if you are looking to play 36 a day I would do 1 SV course walking in the morning and then Ride at one of the lake arrowhead courses in the afternoon. With that you can play four different courses in a matter of 2 miles. I would love to rent out my 4 bedroom +above garage apartment but the wife says that's a no go. A great lodging option that is in Lake arrowhead is called Lodges of the lakes which is 2,3,4 bedroom fully furnished town homes on the 5th fairway of the Pines course, this is really the only lodging other than rentals. http://lodgesofthela...om/#lodgingPage Shermalot Motel is pretty dated.

In terms of Restaurants you are pretty limited and the SV restaurants are absolutely phenomenal for any where, let alone that area and that is your best bet. There is a supper club called the dirty oar which is where Coore and Crenshaw hung out when it was being built, OK but not great. Then there is also the Clubhouse at Lake Arrowhead that has a full restaurant.  Bars you have a few backwoods local establishments like Trails end or Lake Sherwood Lounge but these are local beer bars and not the Sand Valley crowd what so ever. As far as the courses I have walked and carried and hired an A caddy and was underwhelmed with the A caddy, will go the junior route in 2019.Every time I go out there I am blown away.

Edited by PureGolf313, 31 December 2018 - 02:24 AM.

#7 Roadking2003

Roadking2003

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,664 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 406342
  • Handicap:8.7
GolfWRX Likes : 2286

Posted 31 December 2018 - 08:50 AM

We (eight of us) were there in August, 2018.

Dining:  We ate at the resort, both restaurants.  The food and service was great.  We ate outside one evening.  Prices are a little high, especially the wine.

Caddies: Ours were good, but not anywhere near the level of the caddies at Whistling Straits and Erin Hills.

Lodging:  We stayed at the resort.  Rooms were very comfortable and large.

Courses;  Both were very nice and we would play them again.  We played seven courses on our trip and Mammoth was ranked 6th or 7th by everybody.  Sand Valley was in the middle with Whistling Straits or Erin Hills at the top of everybody's list.

The par three course is a bucket of fun.  We played "eight man wolf" and mixed with a little alcohol, it was a blast.

#8 Caddie Master

Caddie Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:10 AM

PureGolf313, on 31 December 2018 - 01:58 AM, said:

I have a lake home a mile away from SV and know the area very well, What many people miss is that if you stay on site you will not even know but there are two great courses in the development where my lake home is called Lake Arrowhead. https://www.lakearrowheadgolf.com/ Great courses in very good condition with very reasonable greens fees . I tell people if you are looking to play 36 a day I would do 1 SV course walking in the morning and then Ride at one of the lake arrowhead courses in the afternoon. With that you can play four different courses in a matter of 2 miles. I would love to rent out my 4 bedroom +above garage apartment but the wife says that's a no go. A great lodging option that is in Lake arrowhead is called Lodges of the lakes which is 2,3,4 bedroom fully furnished town homes on the 5th fairway of the Pines course, this is really the only lodging other than rentals. http://lodgesofthela...om/#lodgingPage Shermalot Motel is pretty dated.

In terms of Restaurants you are pretty limited and the SV restaurants are absolutely phenomenal for any where, let alone that area and that is your best bet. There is a supper club called the dirty oar which is where Coore and Crenshaw hung out when it was being built, OK but not great. Then there is also the Clubhouse at Lake Arrowhead that has a full restaurant.  Bars you have a few backwoods local establishments like Trails end or Lake Sherwood Lounge but these are local beer bars and not the Sand Valley crowd what so ever. As far as the courses I have walked and carried and hired an A caddy and was underwhelmed with the A caddy, will go the junior route in 2019.Every time I go out there I am blown away.

Thank you. This is very useful. One of the vacation rentals I was looking in to is on Lake Arrowhead and so I was wondering about the course itself. I will definitely use a Junior caddie as I am a big supporter of caddie programs (having spent much of my youth as one) and I am really happy SV sponsors the Evans Scholars program.

#9 Caddie Master

Caddie Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 31 December 2018 - 09:17 AM

Roadking2003, on 31 December 2018 - 08:50 AM, said:

Dining:  We ate at the resort, both restaurants.  The food and service was great.  We ate outside one evening.  Prices are a little high, especially the wine.

Caddies: Ours were good, but not anywhere near the level of the caddies at Whistling Straits and Erin Hills.

Courses;  Both were very nice and we would play them again.  We played seven courses on our trip and Mammoth was ranked 6th or 7th by everybody.  Sand Valley was in the middle with Whistling Straits or Erin Hills at the top of everybody's list.

The par three course is a bucket of fun.  We played "eight man wolf" and mixed with a little alcohol, it was a blast.

Unfortunately we cannot include any courses east of SV this trip; just a quick weekend getaway. Driving in from Minneapolis route. Thus, we will have to play Erin Hills, Whistling Straits and all on another trip in the near future. We might be able to add another course on our return trip back toward Minneapolis, though; anybody have any recommendations of courses in western Wisconsin or in the Twin Cities area?

Thanks for your feedback.

#10 ode1

ode1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 606

Posted 31 December 2018 - 11:12 AM

You might take a peak at some of the twin cities threads for a rec. if you plan on a rd. on the way back.  Troy Burne in Hudson, WI is brought up quite a bit.  I've not played but been on property and it looks fantastic!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 huskie

huskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141061
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 17 January 2019 - 10:50 PM

troy burne is one of my favorites!!

#12 Ryan3773

Ryan3773

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 129 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 494220
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 85

Posted 18 January 2019 - 08:56 AM

Caddie Master, on 31 December 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

Unfortunately we cannot include any courses east of SV this trip; just a quick weekend getaway. Driving in from Minneapolis route. Thus, we will have to play Erin Hills, Whistling Straits and all on another trip in the near future. We might be able to add another course on our return trip back toward Minneapolis, though; anybody have any recommendations of courses in western Wisconsin or in the Twin Cities area?

Sentry world is worth it on the way back. Decently affordable and in immaculate condition when I played it. I love it there

#13 Caddie Master

Caddie Master

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  •  

Posted 18 January 2019 - 11:03 AM

Ryan3773, on 18 January 2019 - 08:56 AM, said:

Caddie Master, on 31 December 2018 - 09:17 AM, said:

Sentry world is worth it on the way back. Decently affordable and in immaculate condition when I played it. I love it there

Thanks! We are all booked for SV. Still need to decide on additional round on way home, but have some good ideas now. A good place for my imagination to wander to in order to escape these sub zero temperatures.

#14 CDM

CDM

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46064
GolfWRX Likes : 460

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:14 PM

ode1, on 31 December 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

You might take a peak at some of the twin cities threads for a rec. if you plan on a rd. on the way back.  Troy Burne in Hudson, WI is brought up quite a bit.  I've not played but been on property and it looks fantastic!

Never heard of this course but just watched the video. That is an excellent looking track.

#15 ode1

ode1

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 98193
GolfWRX Likes : 606

Posted 18 January 2019 - 01:25 PM

CDM, on 18 January 2019 - 01:14 PM, said:

ode1, on 31 December 2018 - 11:12 AM, said:

Never heard of this course but just watched the video. That is an excellent looking track.

Wish it were closer as it's from one edge of the state to the other, about 5 hours from where I am......but I gotta get there to play it!

#16 huskie

huskie

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 400 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 141061
GolfWRX Likes : 15

Posted 18 January 2019 - 10:56 PM

Ive played them all in Minnesota its one of my favorites

0 user(s) are reading this topic