Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Monthly weather in golf retirement areas - comparison


37 replies to this topic

#31 DandyDon

DandyDon

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 169457
  • Joined: 03/14/2012
  • Location:California
  • Handicap:13.2
GolfWRX Likes : 19

Posted 03 January 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostMatt J, on 03 January 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

View PostRSinSG, on 03 January 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

View PostMatt J, on 02 January 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

The biggest negative about California is that it's expensive.  The rest is spilt milk fake news.

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you on this. I lived in SoCal since I was 4 years old until retiring at 58 years old. It was a wonderful place to grow up in, and for most of my adult life I was a proud Californian. Sadly, elected officials have turned the once great Golden State to a laughingstock. While it wasn’t ideal, I was OK with the higher cost of living as I owned an affordable house and had a comfortable income. Economics was not the reason I fled the state. Intrusive laws and regulations, restrictive and overbearing government mandates drove me (and millions of others) away. Nothing fake about it.

I'd genuinely be curious to know of specific examples and how they impacted your life.

The community where I live attracts many of California's retirees.  They often complain, but rarely do any have any concrete examples and I always read between the lines that it is economics.  Maybe I'm wrong?  More often than not it seems to be the siren song of the Boomer that they wish to turn the clock back to the 50's when they were children, life was simple, and tax rates were lower.  Halcyon days.

As a lifetime Ca resident (with the exception of 4 years in PA for college) I too understand the immense problems Ca faces and will continue to face.  I am not going to get into politics too much here, but we are a one party state, and when Jerry Brown is considered a voice of moderation within that party, the state is in trouble.  Our politicians are promising everything to everyone, and there is no way that is not going to drive up taxes much further.  Not to mention, the quality of life (including huge increases in crime) continues to get worse here.  I am looking forward to leaving in 5-7 years...


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#32 RSinSG

RSinSG

    Major Winner

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,720 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 300931
  • Joined: 03/10/2014
  • Location:St George, UT (Formerly Palm Springs, CA)
  • Handicap:7.2
GolfWRX Likes : 2085

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:12 AM

View PostMatt J, on 03 January 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

View PostRSinSG, on 03 January 2019 - 10:08 AM, said:

View PostMatt J, on 02 January 2019 - 11:27 AM, said:

The biggest negative about California is that it's expensive.  The rest is spilt milk fake news.

I’m going to respectfully disagree with you on this. I lived in SoCal since I was 4 years old until retiring at 58 years old. It was a wonderful place to grow up in, and for most of my adult life I was a proud Californian. Sadly, elected officials have turned the once great Golden State to a laughingstock. While it wasn’t ideal, I was OK with the higher cost of living as I owned an affordable house and had a comfortable income. Economics was not the reason I fled the state. Intrusive laws and regulations, restrictive and overbearing government mandates drove me (and millions of others) away. Nothing fake about it.

I'd genuinely be curious to know of specific examples and how they impacted your life.

The community where I live attracts many of California's retirees.  They often complain, but rarely do any have any concrete examples and I always read between the lines that it is economics.  Maybe I'm wrong?  More often than not it seems to be the siren song of the Boomer that they wish to turn the clock back to the 50's when they were children, life was simple, and tax rates were lower.  Halcyon days.

WRX rules prohibit getting into politics so I don’t want to get this locked or a warning for myself. However, if you’re genuinely interested I’d be glad to PM you a long list. Unless you haven’t followed any of the news coming out of California for the past 20 years I find it a little hard to believe you think the only people fleeing California are old get off my lawn geezers who miss the good ‘ole days.
Ping G400 Tour AD DI6s
Ping G30 3 wood, 5 wood
Ben Hogan VTKR 21* hybrid
Ping G30 Irons 5-SW, Steel Fiber i95
Ping Glide 60* LW
Scotty Cameron Studio Blade (or) Scotty Cameron Fastback
Gamegolf

https://www.ledges.com/ Home course

2

#33 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5158

Posted 04 January 2019 - 07:58 AM

View Postaz2au, on 31 December 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

View Postcardoustie, on 31 December 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

Florida Panhandle ?
That or Hades. Usually similarly rated ;)

Lol. My brother lives in the panhandle and I love to visit. Beaches are awesome, fishing is incredible and the weather is pretty reliable. Tons of outdoor activities. Every time I visit I think I want to move. BUT - Then I see the traffic, the prevalence of low wage jobs, the lower standard of living with a higher cost of living, the higher cost of goods and aside from the communities where out of staters have taken over - all of Florida is ToonTown once you get a mile from the ocean.


3

#34 schley

schley

    Love ya don't tell ya enough!

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 58583
  • Joined: 06/22/2008
  • Location:Kingdom of Saudi Arabia
  • Handicap:12.3
GolfWRX Likes : 355

Posted 04 January 2019 - 11:15 AM

View Postgolfandfishing, on 04 January 2019 - 07:58 AM, said:

View Postaz2au, on 31 December 2018 - 08:08 PM, said:

View Postcardoustie, on 31 December 2018 - 08:04 PM, said:

Florida Panhandle ?
That or Hades. Usually similarly rated ;)

Lol. My brother lives in the panhandle and I love to visit. Beaches are awesome, fishing is incredible and the weather is pretty reliable. Tons of outdoor activities. Every time I visit I think I want to move. BUT - Then I see the traffic, the prevalence of low wage jobs, the lower standard of living with a higher cost of living, the higher cost of goods and aside from the communities where out of staters have taken over - all of Florida is ToonTown once you get a mile from the ocean.

You mean like you would be if you moved there ....... :swoon:

We are all Americans and state lines are just political boundaries. Also as Amercians we embrace others foreign or not, from the same state or not........ don't we? :welcomeani:

Edit: We are more than political talk shows, who the president is, etc.......we care about each other, regardless of what state they maybe from.

Edited by schley, 04 January 2019 - 11:18 AM.


4

#35 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5158

Posted 04 January 2019 - 01:56 PM

Well yeah Schley, thatís my point exactly about Florida. You need to be in a community where out of staters have settled to avoid ToonTown. This doesnít mean I donít care about the other inhabitants as you suggest, I just donít want to live with them. Thereís a big difference between not caring and not sharing squirrel dinners under the Budweiser string lights hung up between their trailers. I donít want to see harm come to them, but I donít want to participate in their roadkill potluck either.

It doesnít matter who the president is, or who you watch on tv at all.  Bless your heart.


5

#36 BMC

BMC

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,253 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Joined: 05/18/2010
  • Location:The South
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 3117

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:05 PM

I didn't know what ToonTown was til G & F described it for me.  They sound fun. Is there an initiation fee?
Callaway Rogue driver / Cobra SS 350 driver
PING Rapture OG 3 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
MacGregor VIP MBs (1990) 4-PW
Vokey wedges
Odyssey #1WS

6

#37 golfandfishing

golfandfishing

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,921 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381948
  • Joined: 06/22/2015
  • Location:AZ
  • Handicap:4
GolfWRX Likes : 5158

Posted 04 January 2019 - 02:47 PM

View PostBMC, on 04 January 2019 - 02:05 PM, said:

I didn't know what ToonTown was til G & F described it for me.  They sound fun. Is there an initiation fee?

All are welcome. They are fine folks to visit.

7

#38 HackerD

HackerD

    Student of the game

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,110 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 51679
  • Joined: 03/18/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 443

Posted 04 January 2019 - 04:25 PM

View PostRainShadow, on 31 December 2018 - 04:48 PM, said:

View PostHackerD, on 30 December 2018 - 11:27 AM, said:

Santa Barbara CA average high between 65 and 75 all 12 months.  For year-round golf in the continental US, hard to beat.
900 K for a 50's-60's 1200sqft tract home needing work...if you're lucky. Not many want to retire to that price point. Downtown is overrun with homeless.
I grew up in Santa Barbara and Goleta. It has changed a lot and not for the better....still beautiful. Golf in the area ain't cheap, even for locals.
Most of the courses are private ( La Cumbre CC, Birnham Wood GC, Monticito CC, Valley Club) or pricey and a drive from town.
Hey, but the weather is nice......

There are trade offs for sure.  SB is expensive but some retirees have money.   I lived in SB for 10 years in my youth.  Have gone back numerous times and usually played some golf.
Sandpiper, Rancho San Marcos, Glen Annie, SBís muni course are all nice and green fees (for residents) comparable to say Phoenix area.  Bit of a drive up the coast you have La Purisima and Monarch Dunes.
Ping G30 12°
Adams Tight Lies Ti 3w
Cally X2 Hot 3-4H
Mizuno JPX-850 5-GW
Vokey SM 54.14
Cally MD PM 58.10
SC Studio Select Newport 2

8



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors