Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

* - - - - 1 votes

What is real for your family?

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

Swing like it already happened.

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49536
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:DejaGolf
GolfWRX Likes : 592

Posted 26 December 2018 - 10:45 PM

Are families still male dominated where the husband runs off to play golf whenever the hell he wants, leaving his wife to take care of the kids whether she likes it or not?  Or is the opposite true?  Or neither?  The news tries to generalize and identify a victom here.  Is there one?

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner (2007) 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
Mizuno MP-53 5-P, graphite reg
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/8, 54/10, 58/12 graphite reg
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 DDG61

DDG61

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 480246
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 50

Posted 26 December 2018 - 11:27 PM

Interesting question. I’m 44 with wife and one child (7).  No I don’t run off whenever I want but have had stretches were I have neglected my family to golf.  In my house this was playing 4-6 times a week regardless of others.

While tough to hear my wife informed me of this (new in the back of my mind I was doing it) and I changed.

It’s a balance like everything else in marriage (or life).  I inform her (in advance if possible) what I “want” to do and most of the time I’m not so stupid to over “want”.  

#3 SixtySomePing

SixtySomePing

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,250 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 144465
GolfWRX Likes : 19677

Posted 27 December 2018 - 04:56 AM

The news, or media of any kind does not, has not, nor will ever influence how our family makes any decisions. Having said that as an older guy who just shared his 45th wedding anniversary with the most wonderful woman in the world, I can say for us, our decisions have always been made out of love and respect for each other. What is real is not saying what you can and can't do, but supporting each other in what you would like to do. Example, we may sound old having been married that long, but at 63, my dear wife won the state championship this year in triathlons for her age group. I'm her biggest fan. So what is real is both of you finding ways to be positive and supportive, and sometimes sacrificing . When you look back after this long it will be one of the most fulfilling things you will have done.

#4 augustgolf

augustgolf

Golf with dignity

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,609 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 438244
  • Ebay ID:augustgolf
GolfWRX Likes : 4225

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:23 AM

No kids - no wife -

No Problem
Pings from the beginning

OGA member 1415
or is it 1514...
I don't remember exactly

#5 jamgam

jamgam

Rookie

• 61 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483754
  • Handicap:10
  • Ebay ID:augamecock
GolfWRX Likes : 58

Posted 27 December 2018 - 05:54 AM

I have practically given up all my hobbies for family.  I don't recommend it and it's hard to "undo".  There's is 100% a happy medium.  Have to focus on yourself sometimes to have better focus on other things.

I've gotten better in the last few months.  Played a few more rounds and hit more balls.  When my son gets old enough to participate I'm sure that will change

#6 Swisstrader98

Swisstrader98

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,962 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 170802
GolfWRX Likes : 1264

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:50 AM

Iím not sacrificing anything when I go golf vs spend the day with family. In fact, every now and again itís WITH the family. Also, wife and kids are 100% supportive of my golf as we all are about sports that range from my son when he was a competitive snowboarder to my wife and daughter who are avid equestrians.

No one in my family counts number of days youíve been doing your passion vs another family member. We all love our collective sport and we all support each other in that endeavor.

OP made it sound like something from the caveman days😂

#7 sdandrea

sdandrea

Steve

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117468
  • Handicap:11
  • Ebay ID:sdan6017
GolfWRX Likes : 1914

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:54 AM

Family first pre-retirement, but I'm retired now, kids are all launched and my wife plays golf.  She and I were both professionals working full time,  so our marriage has always been a 50/50 relationship when it came to child-rearing and home care.
PING G SF Tec  10*
Pinhawk SL 5W
TM Superfast 5h
PING G400 7-UW  Alta CB
TILLE OMG 52* & 56*
Scotty Fastback

#8 BNGL

BNGL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 1038

Posted 27 December 2018 - 07:56 AM

View Postaugustgolf, on 27 December 2018 - 05:23 AM, said:

No kids - no wife -

No Problem

Living a fantasy! Haha

#9 Ferguson

Ferguson

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,916 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 371587
  • Handicap:7.1
GolfWRX Likes : 5777

Posted 27 December 2018 - 08:29 AM

Tim is back and he's going for 1100 by January month-end.

Are families still male dominated where the husband runs off to play golf whenever the hell he wants, leaving his wife to take care of the kids whether she likes it or not?  
Not all families have kids.  

Or is the opposite true?  
Depends on the family.

Or neither?  
See above.

The news tries to generalize and identify a victom here.  Is there one?
What news?

#10 MtlJeff

MtlJeff

#TheWRX (Callaway Trip)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 68568
  • Handicap:0.0
GolfWRX Likes : 23563

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:02 AM

The news tries to make money by telling people who already have an opinion what they want to hear.

Me and my wife both do hobbies, we both take care of our baby. When it came to maternity/paternity the person who made less money took it just due to how our system works

Cobra F8+ 8.5 w/ Aldila NV 2Kxv 65
Callaway Epic Subzero 14* w//Matrix Black Tie 80
Callaway Apex Hybrid 20 w/Diamana D+ 95
Callaway 2016 Apex Pro 4-PW w/S300
Callaway MD Forged 52,56,60 w/S300
SGC NorthWood Center Shaft 400g

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 golfgirlrobin

golfgirlrobin

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,152 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 247221
  • Handicap:2.0
GolfWRX Likes : 4793

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:57 AM

My husband isn’t very supportive of my golf.  I need three rounds by the 1st to get my 300 in and he’s happy to settle for his 290-something.  He’s a darn good with a vacuum, though, and makes a mean sandwich.

In all seriousness, we’re both adults and share the work and the fun. It wouldn’t even occur to him to pull the patriarch nonsense.
Driver:     Ping G400 Max 10.5*
Fairway:  Callaway Rogue 15*, 20* & 24*
Irons:       TaylorMade M CGB 6-SW
Wedges:   Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 59*
                 Callaway PM Grind 64*
Putter:      Ping Sigma G Ketsch B.

#12 TerpFangolfer

TerpFangolfer

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 292881
  • Handicap:6.2
GolfWRX Likes : 223

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:35 AM

View PostBNGL, on 27 December 2018 - 07:56 AM, said:

No kids - no wife -

No Problem

Living a fantasy! Haha

Yeah, I'm no wife + grown kids (including a teen who loves golf)...so that kinda works also... well, except for the $$$ (alimony & college FTL)
TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4  54-8  & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

#13 DavePelz4

DavePelz4

Legend

• 23,610 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69051
GolfWRX Likes : 25045

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:45 AM

View Postgolfgirlrobin, on 27 December 2018 - 10:57 AM, said:

My husband isn’t very supportive of my golf.  I need three rounds by the 1st to get my 300 in and he’s happy to settle for his 290-something.  He’s a darn good with a vacuum, though, and makes a mean sandwich.

In all seriousness, we’re both adults and share the work and the fun. It wouldn’t even occur to him to pull the patriarch nonsense.

Robin how often do you tell him to..."Get in the kitchen and make me a pie?"

Edited by DavePelz4, 29 December 2018 - 08:22 PM.

#14 SammyShaf

SammyShaf

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 253340
GolfWRX Likes : 118

Posted 27 December 2018 - 11:58 AM

I have a 7 year old step daughter and a 2 year old son.  I try to schedule golf on weekends when daughter is with biological parent.  I am a morning person, so other times I get an early tee time and am home before they are out of pajammas.  I went from playing about daily to 3 times a week to every other week if I am lucky.  I don't have other hobbies and my kids both have an interest in golf.   Hopefully this summer I can get more time with daughter practicing and playing as her attention span grows.  The reality with her is 9 holes at max.  The big thing that I keep in mind is that I must take time for myself, as does my wife.  It is a compromise, but I would not trade it to go back to playing alk the time.  For what it is worth, I appreciate golf more and play better now.

Edited by SammyShaf, 27 December 2018 - 11:59 AM.

If anything can go right, it might!

#15 ohioglfr

ohioglfr

Municipal Junkie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 193866
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 305

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

Family and task oriented jobs around the house come first for me.  I would love to lower my handicap to what it was as a bachelor, but age and time constraints won’t let that happen!

If there was ever a “black eye” for golf, it was during the Scott Peterson murder trial.  Unfair as it is, I think that it set a negative image of male golfers in many people, especially women.

https://en.wikipedia.../Scott_Peterson

Edited by ohioglfr, 27 December 2018 - 05:13 PM.

#16 LeftDaddy

LeftDaddy

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 467 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 373917
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 275

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

There must be a recent news story Iíve missed. But it seems the male golfer is more and more seen as ďneglecting his familial dutiesĒ.

My family is definitely not the ďmale does what he wants ď variety. My wife is definitely more of a modern wife in that sense.  And we have two children, and I consider being a Dad and a husband to be the two most important roles I have, so I definitely put my wife and kids first.

We struggled with golf when my kids were younger. My wife didnít really have a hobby, and she viewed any golf time as just plain old husband/father negligence. Needless to say I didnít play much then.

As the kids got older, and as my wife got back in to her hobby (tennis), and as she softened a bit, I started playing more.

Now, she actively encourages me to play. The kids are older and donít notice as much. She has her own hobby. She also knows how important golf is to me. And Iíve always encouraged her to pursue her hobbies. I think she also started realizing that her husband works hard, has provided a nice lifestyle for her and the kids, and deserves some ďhimĒ time for all of that. And Iíve started to view golf as less of a negligent act, and more of a necessary act for me (ie I need my golf time and donít feel so bad doing it nowadays).  Weíve gotten to a really good place with all of this, whereby we both encourage each otherís goals and happiness. Itís great if you can get to that point.
Callaway 815 BBA DBD, Aldila Rogue Stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 3 Deep, 14.5, Aldila Tour Green stiff
Callaway Apex MB UT 2 iron, Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway 2013 X-forged (3-5), Project X PXI 6.0
Callaway Apex MB (6-PW), KBS Tour V stiff
Vokey SM5 54, Callaway Mack Daddy 2 Tour Grind Chrome 58, both with KBS Tour
Bettinardi BB1

#17 larrybud

larrybud

Legend

• Advanced Members
  • 10,935 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21167
  • Handicap:2.5
GolfWRX Likes : 4384

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:07 PM

No kids.  2 dogs.  My wife and I do what we want alone (no strippers or anything like that!), and we do stuff together.  Each week she asks me when I'm golfing, and I ask her which days she's going out with her girlfriends, and we plan around that.  Then we play golf together maybe 2-3 times a month, 9 holes, and have dinner afterward.  In the winter I'm busy with my side business, but we still give an overview of each other's plans for the week.    We keep busy with the dogs, walking them at least 3 times a week on the local trails, go on vacation once a year, mostly a dog and golf vacation somewhere within easy driving distance (3-4 hrs max).

ONCE in a while family stuff gets in the way, but we don't "do" kid's b-days or graduations (esp these days where everybody graduates from something every year).  We don't have kids, want kids, like kids, nor do we want to be around them.. lol.  seriously, especially babies and toddlers who are filled with diseases.

#18 Big Ben

Big Ben

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,385 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14306
  • Handicap:5
GolfWRX Likes : 1585

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

Real is being a man and family comes first. That will involve sacrifice. Weíve all taken advantage but trust me eventually that comes with consequences. As I grow older I see this more clearly. YMMV
Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's  
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1

#19 Roody

Roody

You ride her until she bucks you or don't ride at all

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63452
  • Handicap:8.4
GolfWRX Likes : 658

Posted 27 December 2018 - 01:33 PM

View Postlarrybud, on 27 December 2018 - 01:07 PM, said:

No kids.  2 dogs.  My wife and I do what we want alone (no strippers or anything like that!), and we do stuff together.  Each week she asks me when I'm golfing, and I ask her which days she's going out with her girlfriends, and we plan around that.  Then we play golf together maybe 2-3 times a month, 9 holes, and have dinner afterward.  In the winter I'm busy with my side business, but we still give an overview of each other's plans for the week. We keep busy with the dogs, walking them at least 3 times a week on the local trails, go on vacation once a year, mostly a dog and golf vacation somewhere within easy driving distance (3-4 hrs max).

ONCE in a while family stuff gets in the way, but we don't "do" kid's b-days or graduations (esp these days where everybody graduates from something every year).  We don't have kids, want kids, like kids, nor do we want to be around them.. lol.  seriously, especially babies and toddlers who are filled with diseases.
*raises glass of whiskey*

My wife and I are very similar. Been married 19 years, no kids, never wanted them. Very often when we're at places where there are screaming kids we quietly joke to each other "there's my dose of birth control for the day".
Titleist ProV1x
Titleist 915 D2
Titleist 716 T-MB 2-iron
Callaway Apex irons 3-PW
Odyssey Black Series #7
Callaway Jaws and Mack Daddy Wedges

#20 Tim Schoch

Tim Schoch

Swing like it already happened.

• 1,017 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 49536
  • Handicap:13
  • Ebay ID:DejaGolf
GolfWRX Likes : 592

Posted 27 December 2018 - 09:51 PM

View PostLeftDaddy, on 27 December 2018 - 12:36 PM, said:

There must be a recent news story I’ve missed. But it seems the male golfer is more and more seen as “neglecting his familial duties”.

My family is definitely not the “male does what he wants “ variety. My wife is definitely more of a modern wife in that sense.  And we have two children, and I consider being a Dad and a husband to be the two most important roles I have, so I definitely put my wife and kids first.

We struggled with golf when my kids were younger. My wife didn’t really have a hobby, and she viewed any golf time as just plain old husband/father negligence. Needless to say I didn’t play much then.

As the kids got older, and as my wife got back in to her hobby (tennis), and as she softened a bit, I started playing more.

Now, she actively encourages me to play. The kids are older and don’t notice as much. She has her own hobby. She also knows how important golf is to me. And I’ve always encouraged her to pursue her hobbies. I think she also started realizing that her husband works hard, has provided a nice lifestyle for her and the kids, and deserves some “him” time for all of that. And I’ve started to view golf as less of a negligent act, and more of a necessary act for me (ie I need my golf time and don’t feel so bad doing it nowadays).  We’ve gotten to a really good place with all of this, whereby we both encourage each other’s goals and happiness. It’s great if you can get to that point.

Exactly my experience. And, yes, news stories have said that golf popularity is fading because young married men are no longer "in charge". Idiotic.  I will say that when my kids were young I felt guilty playing golf, so I quit. Family came first--so I taught my sons the love of golf!!  Now I am 69 and we all play together!

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
TaylorMade Burner (2007) 10.5* REAX reg graphite
TaylorMade Burner 3-wood 15* REAX reg graphite
Adams Idea A12 #4 Hybrid 21* VTS Proforce reg graphite
Mizuno MP-53 5-P, graphite reg
Titleist Vokey SM6 50/8, 54/10, 58/12 graphite reg
Putter: Odyssey White Hot Pro #1
Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft X, midsize Winn Dri-Tac grips

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 BNGL

BNGL

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,395 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 472816
GolfWRX Likes : 1038

Posted 28 December 2018 - 01:28 PM

View PostTerpFangolfer, on 27 December 2018 - 11:35 AM, said:

View PostBNGL, on 27 December 2018 - 07:56 AM, said:

No kids - no wife -

No Problem

Living a fantasy! Haha

Yeah, I'm no wife + grown kids (including a teen who loves golf)...so that kinda works also... well, except for the $$$ (alimony & college FTL)

Yeah my girlfriend and I don’t have kids. We just made a decision about what we wanted from life, and weren’t going to get bogged down by added (needless?) responsibilities.

#22 Bourni1

Bourni1

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 361757
  • Handicap:7
GolfWRX Likes : 13

Posted 28 December 2018 - 03:03 PM

I am 37 with 3 kids (11, 8 and 7 month old). I have played golf all my life and my wife met me being a golfer so she is accustomed to me playing, practicing and watching golf on TV.  I work very hard and have been able to provide well enough that she does not work and does an amazing job taking care of the kids, which in itself is a full time job which I admire her for.  I play tennis at least 2 nights a week and golf on weekends. I try and get my golf in early and be home for lunch with the family.  She understands that I need my "me" time as well as the necessary "guy" time, and I understand she needs her time with sisters and friends (although with a baby her time is limited right now).  Basically marriage is a balancing act, if one spouse is unable to understand the other spouses needs (including golf) then things will be difficult.

#23 bladehunter

bladehunter

I have a great profile! Especially from the side !

• Advanced Members
  • 21,382 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 291449
  • Handicap:NONE
GolfWRX Likes : 19834

Posted 29 December 2018 - 07:09 PM

Lol.  I work from a shop I own thatís next door to home.  So Iím ď home ď all day.    I am mr mom to a 10 year old.  I take him to and from everywhere.  I buy the groceries. Why ?  Iím also the cook.  I love to cook.  And Iím damn good at it.  ( toot toot ). We also  have animals on the farm.  I am the animal trainer too.  Lol.

Wife runs a surgeons office for 6 surgeons and 45 employees.  Sheís busy.  I handle home and wouldnít have it any other way. Iím too picky to please.  So I please myself.    I sneak in 9 a couple times a week and practice daily.  Most weekends I get 18 in .  We schedule multi day tournaments months ahead.  

We eat dinner together every night and breakfast every morning.  99.9999 % of the time.  

Iíve only had to remind her once that she likely doesnít have any friends with husbands who earn as much as she does , cook , clean and carpool everyday.  She hasnít cooked a meal that I know of in several years. But most of all. Weíve been married 17 years and best friends  25.  It works because we donít pigeon hole jobs. Itís all ď the job ď and weíre on the same team.  Every time.  

I gave  this advice to a kid ( 29 now. Lol) I know who just got married. I told him to stop thinking ď mans work. Womanís workĒ.  Just think end goal.  And do whatever it takes to get there.  I said this knowing he was marrying a good girl. That same advice wonít work with cray cray.  Lol. You either have to run away or kill cray cray.  You canít reason with it or please it.

Edited by bladehunter, 29 December 2018 - 07:09 PM.

Ping G400 Max 9.4* Aldila Synergy Black 70TX
TM 17 M1 14.5* Graphite Design AD DI 8X
Bridgestone XD-H 18 Graphite Design AD DI 105x
Ping i500 4-pw Modus 130 X
Ping Glide Forged 50 54 60  S400
Cameron GSS 009 1.5 beached tungsten sole weights

#24 halliedog

halliedog

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,981 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 30624
  • Handicap:5.2
GolfWRX Likes : 760

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:14 AM

I'm 44 years old and do whatever I damn well please.
WITB:
TM M1 8.5* w/ Aldila Rip Alpha 45.5
Ping TiSi Tec 7.5* w/ Elements Chrome 43"
TM UDI 1, 3 w/ KBS C-Taper Lite S
TM P770 4-PW
Nevada Golf Guy 53-08 w/ KBS Tour V X
TM "Un-Ghosted" Tour 880

#25 1puttTUT

1puttTUT

Lefty with occasional game

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,853 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 354761
  • Handicap:4.7
  • Ebay ID:pmtuttle21
GolfWRX Likes : 1089

Posted 01 January 2019 - 02:00 AM

My wife is an exec and commutes at least an hour or more every day, and I have a good flexible job so I'm the the one doing most of the drop off and pick up with our 8 year old son. I don't mind it at all. I normally play during the week and save weekends for family because even though she misses out on time with our son during the week, that is also time she misses out on spending with me and just relaxation in general.

She is transitioning to working from home soon though so that might lead to more golf for me!

Cobra F8 10.5D w/ Hazardous Yellow
Cobra F8 16* w/ Aldila Blue 2KXVs
Titleist 915H 18* w/Aldila Rogue 95MSI
Titleist 913H 21* w/Diamana 92Hy
Titleist 915H 24* w/Diamana 92Hy
Cobra forged TEC 6-GW w/ KBS Tour 120s
Titleist Vokey SM6 54*/58* w/ Nippon Modus3 125s
TP Mills Trad II roundneck

#26 buckrogers71

buckrogers71

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 47766
  • Ebay ID:buckrogers71
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 15 January 2019 - 01:06 PM

I'm fortunate as I am a teacher and my wife has a "real" job. Lol. When we 1st had kids (now 19 and 16) golf took a back seat and I played when I could. I started playing more, but then I started coaching 2 sports (Soccer and softball...prime golf time). Coaching allows us to afford things that we normally couldnt. I cook dinner, clean, make beds as well as the "manly" duties. Once soccer and softball ends, then I am out for 9 or 18 after work if not maybe every other weekend. During the summer I get my chores done and go play

Truthfully its about balance. She does what she wants to do and I do what I want to do, but we always check with each other and if we have to make concessions, we do.
Current Bag
Driver: Titleist 917d2 w/ Aldila Tour Blue Stiff
FW: TM Aerobuner TP HL 16.5 (Painted 917 by Continental Golf
Hybrids: Adams A12 Pro 20* & 23*
Irons: Srixon Z585 5-GW, Modus 105
Wedges: Vokey SM5 Jet Black 54* M grind 58* M grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 or DelMar California
Ball: Titleist Prov1x or TM TP5x

#27 JDFish

JDFish

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 135069
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 200

Posted 16 January 2019 - 02:12 PM

1. Are families still male dominated where the husband runs off to play golf whenever the hell he wants, leaving his wife to take care of the kids whether she likes it or not?  NOT IF THE MARRIAGE IS GOING TO LAST
2. Or is the opposite true?  SEE RESPONSE TO NO. 1
3. Or neither?  MARRIAGE REQUIRES SACRIFICE, COMMUNICATION, GIVE AND TAKE AND BALANCE.  
4. The news tries to generalize and identify a victim here.  Is there one?  IGNORE THE NEWS

I've played golf for most of my life.  When I first married and until kids were born, my wife had her hobbies and I played or practiced 4-5 days/week.  After our first child was born, I cut back mostly on practice time.  There's just too much around the home that needs to be taken care of.  I started (and continue to) do all of the cooking and the home maintenance; my wife took (and still does) care of the cleaning and laundry 99% of the time.  But we were able to discuss and agree on who was going to do what when (for example, I switched my Saturday round to Sunday so my wife could go to jazzercise, shop, whatever with her friends on Saturday mornings).  We kept that up after our second child was gone and until they started activities (competition dance canceled out some of my weekends due to the required travel).  This past year my oldest started college and my wife has been immersed in the competitive dance world with my youngest, which allowed me to play a lot more (I care less about practicing now and would rather be on the course and then have a few beers with my friends).  But, I have always had the first or second tee time, so even after lunch and beers, I'm home before 2 pm on the weekends so there is still plenty of time for family.  

Edited by JDFish, 16 January 2019 - 02:15 PM.

Callaway Epic 9.0 Fujikura Atmos Black TS 6S
Callaway XR Pro 3 wood
Callaway XR 5 wood
Titleist 913H 21* hybrid
Ping i200 Nippon N.S.Pro Modus3 Tour 105S - 4-UW
Titleist Vokey SM6 54* and 58* S200
Evnroll ER8 33"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors