Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Junior Golf Blueprint with Chris Smeal

future champions golf

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 leezer99

leezer99

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94152
GolfWRX Likes : 1199

Posted 26 December 2018 - 03:22 PM

If you're not familiar with Matt Walter and his podcast Junior Golf Blueprint it's always a great listen.  This week he had Chris Smeal from Future Champions Golf on to discuss the tour and overall junior golf development.

If you have a chance to play in any FCG event I'd highly recommend it.  They do a great job running their tour and Chris really does have the best interest of the junior golfer at the forefront of what he does.

https://anchor.fm/ju...ons-Golf-e2r082

http://futurechampionsgolf.com/

Posted Image

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 26 December 2018 - 05:51 PM

It looks like for teens in California mainly?

#3 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2461

Posted 27 December 2018 - 10:14 AM

View Postleezer99, on 26 December 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

View PostTigerMom, on 26 December 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Kids of all ages and they are expanding quickly.  Events at Stanford, the PNW, Florida are all on the docket for 2019.

They have had a difficult turn in the South East so far.  I believe they had 4 events for 2018 on the schedule for Florida/Georgia and have canceled 3 of them so far because of lack of participation.  Have one for this weekend at PGA National and it has a very limited field.  Another scheduled for late January in Kissimmee which I see being canceled as they only have one participant at this point.  It is going to be a long difficult road to break into Florida.

#4 tiger1873

tiger1873

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 864 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 340777
GolfWRX Likes : 416

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:04 PM

View Postleezer99, on 27 December 2018 - 10:34 AM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 27 December 2018 - 10:14 AM, said:

View Postleezer99, on 26 December 2018 - 09:33 PM, said:

View PostTigerMom, on 26 December 2018 - 05:51 PM, said:

Kids of all ages and they are expanding quickly.  Events at Stanford, the PNW, Florida are all on the docket for 2019.

They have had a difficult turn in the South East so far.  I believe they had 4 events for 2018 on the schedule for Florida/Georgia and have canceled 3 of them so far because of lack of participation.  Have one for this weekend at PGA National and it has a very limited field.  Another scheduled for late January in Kissimmee which I see being canceled as they only have one participant at this point.  It is going to be a long difficult road to break into Florida.

Not in the near future but I'd expect some consolidation of the private tours like HJGT and FCG.  FCG is pretty bare bones and I'm sure it's difficult running a tour of their size.  Chris might sell the operation to HJGT at some point and rake in some cash.  Alternatively you might see an organization like AJGA create something like an AJGA Junior Tour which feeds into the main tour and steal a bunch of market share from the others.

To me why bother with HJGT or FCG when there are plenty of options with local pga chapters. Heck with state Golf associations they have done a great job of junior tournaments for a lot less money. I know some areas don’t have options but in a lot areas there are too many tours chasing too few participants.

HGJT is expensive I rather travel and do a TGJT in Texas or FJT in Florida or any other number of options like that. All of them way cheaper then HGJT or FCG or even a IMG tournament.  

The only times HGJT or FCG makes sense is if it close and seems like it will have competition and maybe will help with ranking. But it has to be close I wouldn’t  travel for them very far.

With the new PGA headquarters in Frisco one the goals the city did was place an emphasis on junior tournaments at that facility so it seems that pga chapters will only grow their tournaments to feed into those tournaments. I would expect to see even less private tours if this is indeed the focus of the PGA.

Edited by tiger1873, 27 December 2018 - 06:24 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors