Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Monterey / San Fran Golf / Family Stuff

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 477968
GolfWRX Likes : 333

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:13 AM

Sort of golf related /sort of not.     IF Clemson makes it to the Nat Champ (Santa Clara), me and the boy (8) will be taking the trip out.  Coming that far from South Carolina we would take a few days early to visit the area and hopefully even a little golf in the Monterey/Carmel area(... you know what I am thinking...)

Anyway - for those that have been to the area or live there...

- Anything we should definitely see or do in the San Fran / San Jose area?

- In a perfect world I would love to be able to play Pebble.  We wouldn't stay at the resort so I know tee times could be hit or miss.  Other courses to consider or recommend?  *not looking for a debate if Pebble is worth the $ or not*

Thoughts, tips, advice appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Edited by hangontight, 12 December 2018 - 09:14 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2018 - 09:48 AM

View Postleezer99, on 12 December 2018 - 09:34 AM, said:

Separate golf from what should be a father - son adventure.  
  • Monterey Bay Aquarium
  • Winchester Mystery House
  • Golden Gate Bridge
  • Alcatraz Tour (never been myself but my wife's grandfather wrote Escape From Alcatraz so I have to throw it in here)
  • Fisherman's Wharf
  • Tech Museum
  • Redwood State Park

Awesome, thanks.  Why do you say separate?  He would be playing too so my idea is that that is part of the father - son adventure.  Golf and Clemson Football, his two favorite things on earth (football being first), ha!

Edited by hangontight, 12 December 2018 - 09:50 AM.

#3 hattrick23

hattrick23

hattrick23

• Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 287211
  • Handicap:8
GolfWRX Likes : 11

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:03 AM

There are quite a few courses worth playing in the Monterey area if you cannot get onto Pebble
They are:
Pacific Grove - "poor mans pebble beach" -the back nine is in the sand hills by the ocean - very affordable
Poppy Hills - NCGA public course on "17 mile drive" - Pga tour used to play it, Senior tour still plays
Spyglass Hill - My favorite course in the area - on 17 mile drive right by pebble
Bayonet and Blackhorse - Former Fort Ord Army base - top conditioned golf that still offers views of the bay

#4 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 504874
GolfWRX Likes : 137

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:19 AM

View Posthangontight, on 12 December 2018 - 09:13 AM, said:

Sort of golf related /sort of not.     IF Clemson makes it to the Nat Champ (Santa Clara), me and the boy (8) will be taking the trip out.  Coming that far from South Carolina we would take a few days early to visit the area and hopefully even a little golf in the Monterey/Carmel area(... you know what I am thinking...)

- In a perfect world I would love to be able to play Pebble.  We wouldn't stay at the resort so I know tee times could be hit or miss.  Other courses to consider or recommend?  *not looking for a debate if Pebble is worth the $ or not*

Notre Dame

#5 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 12 December 2018 - 11:55 AM

1. San Francisco  - If you have never been to SF, you probably need to take at least 1 day (maybe 2) and see a few things. Having said that, the city is dirty nowadays (particularly downtown). They spend millions/year cleaning up poo off the streets from the homeless. Still, you could get out to Alcatraz and see the GG Bridge pretty easily. Golden Gate Park is also good to see/walk and there is a Par 3 course in GG Park and the California Academy of Sciences is there also. Nearby you could also golf at TPC Harding Park or Lincoln Park Golf Course.

2. See the Redwoods at Big Basin Redwood State Park. Always amazing to see those giants. https://media-cdn.tr...ll-standing.jpg

3. Monterey - Aquarium is worth the visit. Also, the golf courses listed by @hattrick23 above would be good.

#6 heavy_hitter

heavy_hitter

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 366715
GolfWRX Likes : 2462

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:37 PM

View PostTigerMom, on 12 December 2018 - 11:19 AM, said:

Notre Dame

Clemson and it won't be close.

#7 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

View Postheavy_hitter, on 12 December 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Notre Dame

make sure plane tickets are refundable

#8 mrshinsa

mrshinsa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 476520
GolfWRX Likes : 81

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

Even if you don't end up playing, definitely visit PB and take some pictures.   I took my son the day before the Regional, and I can tell his interest level in Golf shot up 200% just by visiting all the shops and taking in the history.

Edited by mrshinsa, 12 December 2018 - 12:52 PM.

#9 tocino

tocino

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,398 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 150197
GolfWRX Likes : 364

Posted 12 December 2018 - 12:55 PM

buy your alcatraz tickets in advance. From what i've heard from my friends, it's usually really hard to get them even a day in advance let alone day-of, especially on the weekends. I've only been to alcatraz once, and that was in high school about 25 years ago

#10 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,762 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 339857
GolfWRX Likes : 11666

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:02 PM

I took my wife to Pebble and she went down to Point Lobos State Park and said it was amazing.  Obviously the aquarium is a big hit although we didn't go.

Harding Park is spendy if you're not local but it's a good option if you're staying in the city.  Dim sum in Chinatown, Lombard St., Haight Asbury, there's a lot of see.  IMO, it's kind of an "adult city" I guess they all are though... Maybe throw an amusement park into the mix.

Good luck with Bama.

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 darter79

darter79

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 551 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 66967
GolfWRX Likes : 426

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:10 PM

View Postleezer99, on 12 December 2018 - 12:50 PM, said:

View Postheavy_hitter, on 12 December 2018 - 12:37 PM, said:

Notre Dame

There needs to be an UNLIKE button.  LOL  :taunt:

I'm with HH on this one, I love to ND but I doubt it. It will be Clemson vs Bama yet again (OU has one of the best offenses I've seen but the defense makes you want to barf)

Taking a trip like that will be priceless experience. Take anything and everything you can in. Hope they make it.

#12 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 12 December 2018 - 01:30 PM

Thanks for all the great responses, very helpful.  Certainly a bucket list trip if it all works out.

Edited by hangontight, 12 December 2018 - 01:32 PM.

#13 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:24 AM

Alright- flights are booked! Was cheaper to fly into Monterey, so works out well.  We fly in on Friday, will spend a few days down around there - aquarium, redwoods hiking, we’ll see.  Then driving north on Sunday afternoon.   Anyway, maybe looking for a quick 9 holes somewhere:

- anyone play pacific grove links (“poor mans pebble”)?  49 afternoon rate looks pretty good, maybe just 9 holes.  
- Peter hay par 3?  Doesn’t look quite as good as the Cradle , but looks fun enough and quick way to do something at Pebble beach area.

Pulling otter details together, maybe Golden Gate, more hiking.  Still open to suggestions.  8 year old son.  

Thanks everyone.  GO TIGERS!!!

#14 JBirdUt

JBirdUt

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 180076
  • Ebay ID:J.r.1968
GolfWRX Likes : 150

Posted 30 December 2018 - 10:30 AM

IF a golf outing is considered, youth on course is your boy’s ticket. Spanish Bay, inside the 17 mile road, holds one tee time a day for juniors. Greens fee is $5.00! You, full rate. One of my favorite experiences with my daughter.

#15 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2018 - 11:01 AM

View PostJBirdUt, on 30 December 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

IF a golf outing is considered, youth on course is your boy’s ticket. Spanish Bay, inside the 17 mile road, holds one tee time a day for juniors. Greens fee is $5.00! You, full rate. One of my favorite experiences with my daughter.

Awesome.  Will check it out. Thank you!

#16 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:09 PM

View Posthangontight, on 30 December 2018 - 10:24 AM, said:

Alright- flights are booked! Was cheaper to fly into Monterey, so works out well.  We fly in on Friday, will spend a few days down around there - aquarium, redwoods hiking, we'll see.  Then driving north on Sunday afternoon.   Anyway, maybe looking for a quick 9 holes somewhere:

- anyone play pacific grove links ("poor mans pebble")?  49 afternoon rate looks pretty good, maybe just 9 holes.  
- Peter hay par 3?  Doesn't look quite as good as the Cradle , but looks fun enough and quick way to do something at Pebble beach area.

Pulling otter details together, maybe Golden Gate, more hiking.  Still open to suggestions.  8 year old son.  

Thanks everyone.  GO TIGERS!!!

As is often mentioned, if you can only play 9 at Pacific Grove ask to play the back nine.  The front nine has been rerouted since it's original design (the clubhouse was moved) and it is inland.  The back nine is real links holes out on the sea.  Beautiful views.

#17 parpar41

parpar41

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,171 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 21432
GolfWRX Likes : 41

Posted 30 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

By all means, play Pacific Grove.  All 18 holes if you can.

I only played it once (almost 30 years ago, sadly) and it is a great course and an even greater value.

I would even suggest your 8 year old son, no matter how accomplished a golfer he may be, would have more fun at PG than at PB.

Edited by parpar41, 30 December 2018 - 12:26 PM.

#18 theboypinoy

theboypinoy

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,882 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 128768
GolfWRX Likes : 478

Posted 30 December 2018 - 03:25 PM

Definitely do Golden Gate, it's such a highlight of the San Francisco experience.

Take a pic on the city side, wander around there. Then you get the experience of driving it, go to the Marin Headlands side for some amazing views and more pics. Drive back across. Can done be as quickly or slowly as time permits.

If you have time, you could also look into going to Muir Woods. Beautiful

#19 plee542

plee542

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 126 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 117163
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 31 December 2018 - 12:22 AM

View PostJBirdUt, on 30 December 2018 - 10:30 AM, said:

+1 on Spanish Bay.  Best 15 bucks I ever spent.  

Poppy Hills, Pacific Grove, Del Monte, Bayonet are all YOC rate courses as well.

#20 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 04:31 PM

Long Shot, but does anyone HAPPEN to live in Monterey area that would have an extra set of junior clubs laying around that we could borrow on Saturday?  Tough to find courses that rent junior clubs.   Boy is 8, 53" Tall...so anything close to that could work.  Experienced player, he wont trash them. haha!  Looking to play Pacific Grove.

Happy to return the favor when you come to Charleston, SC!

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

Wanna get rid of this ugly yellow box? And remove other annoying "stuff" in between posts? Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

#21 wildcatden

wildcatden

China Cat Sunflower

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 481904
GolfWRX Likes : 667

Posted 02 January 2019 - 05:01 PM

I'm up in San Ramon, but that's over 2 hours away. You may try Play It Again sports in Soquel, CA about 45 min from Pac Grove. Buy a used set and then sell them back to them. Certainly a PITA.

playitagainsports-soquel.com
4770 Soquel Dr, Soquel, CA 95073

#22 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:52 PM

View Postwildcatden, on 02 January 2019 - 05:01 PM, said:

I'm up in San Ramon, but that's over 2 hours away. You may try Play It Again sports in Soquel, CA about 45 min from Pac Grove. Buy a used set and then sell them back to them. Certainly a PITA.

playitagainsports-soquel.com
4770 Soquel Dr, Soquel, CA 95073

Thanks Wildcat.  We’ve got a packed schedule and looking at 90% rain on Saturday as of now.  If he really wants to play we’ll probably hit the Peter Hay par 3 at PB.  Def going to hit up the Pebble beach area and pro shop!

#23 TigerMom

TigerMom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 217 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 07:56 PM

Congrats to Clemson and hope you enjoy the trip!

#24 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:21 PM

View PostTigerMom, on 02 January 2019 - 07:56 PM, said:

Congrats to Clemson and hope you enjoy the trip!

Thanks , TM!

#25 Matt J

Matt J

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,762 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 08:34 PM

Perhaps inquire at Poppy Hills?  As the HQ for the Nor Cal Golf Association perhaps they'll have a junior set or a suggestion as to where you could acquire one.

I kinda like the idea of swooping into a Play It Again Sports and buy 8 or 10 clubs, you could even buy some ladies clubs and cut them down and regrip them.  Either send them home in a box or donate them to one of the courses.

#26 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 02 January 2019 - 09:15 PM

View PostMatt J, on 02 January 2019 - 08:34 PM, said:

Perhaps inquire at Poppy Hills?  As the HQ for the Nor Cal Golf Association perhaps they'll have a junior set or a suggestion as to where you could acquire one.

I kinda like the idea of swooping into a Play It Again Sports and buy 8 or 10 clubs, you could even buy some ladies clubs and cut them down and regrip them.  Either send them home in a box or donate them to one of the courses.

Actually Poppy came up today as an option through a connection out there for the same reason you mentioned.  Thank you for suggesting.  Going to follow up tomorrow.  PLay it again good idea, but we are only there for a day before driving North for the game.  Buying clubs, Cutting and gripping, shipping will be way too much work and $ for the quick 9 holes we’re looking to play.  We’re there to check out the area, see aquarium, redwoods, visit pebble pro shop , all the touristy stuff!  A quick 9 holes would just be a cherry on top, but all good if we don’t get to play.

Edited by hangontight, 02 January 2019 - 09:17 PM.

#27 hangontight

hangontight

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 490 posts
  •  

Posted 10 January 2019 - 08:55 AM

Thanks for the tips, everyone. We had an awesome Trip.   We flew directly into Monterey on Friday arriving around 1:00 - played the Pebble Beach Par 3 course.   With our limited time it fit the bill - quick , cheap, and checked the box for golf.  The course is nothing special, but its just up the hill from the Clubhouse and has spectacular views of the ocean & mountains.    We spent some time at Pebble Beach visiting and then drove 17 mile drive .  Between Pebble, Cypress, MPCC, Spyglass, and Spanish bay that stretch of road is Heaven on earth for a golfer.  Unbelievable.  We'll be back in the future for a golf trip for sure.   Rained all day on Saturday but drove the coast down toward Big Sur for some hiking and went to the aquarium.  Sunday we drove north to Big Basin Redwoods and onto the Golden Gate Bridge before coming back down to Santa Clara for the Game...which obviously turned out great for us.   Anyone looking for a cool trip definitely put it on your list (as if Pebble Beach isnt already on your list!).   Hopefully the boy learned a thing or two and will take some good memories away.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors