Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Instructor recommendation in southeast Michigan

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 rad22

rad22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514596
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:20 PM

Looking for an instructor as my tendency to hit the ball off the heel is making me insane. I am incredibly consistent... nearly every shot i hit is off the heel.  I feel that my adjustments are only going to be detrimental to my swing.  I think its time for professional help!

Of note, I did get a lesson earlier this year, however I was not very happy with it. I am an above average golfer and can very easily shoot in the high 70's. My goal is to improve the swing i have, identify my mistakes and correct them.  The vibe I got from the instructor at that time was a complete rebuild.

Do any of you have any experience with any instructors in southeast Michigan?

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 garyt

garyt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311399
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:28 AM

There was a pretty good thread about this awhile back. I tried to search for it but couldn't find it. I'll be interested myself. Who'd you see the last time? I'd like to find a guy who will work with what I have as a 62 year old player and not try to get me to swing like a flexible pro.

#3 AlecEmersonGolf

AlecEmersonGolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368693
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:48 PM

Guys I have worked with

Steve Vecellio - really nice guy, my current pro, really knows his stuff, not a total rebuild guy, has trackman access, only issue is he spends the winters in florida so if you want to work over the winter that's not going to happen. Out of Birmingham CC
Bret Hartman - great guy out of OU golf center, same stuff as Steve but the reason I switched was steve was closer and I got along with him better (home pro). Also he sends a commentated video of your swing exaplaining what he wants you to work on between lessons which i think is really cool.

Guys I've heard good things about
Paul Haase - Miles of Golf
Ken Allard - DGC
Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
wedges - 52/56/60 edel
putter - edel e-3 torque balanced

#4 rad22

rad22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:38 AM

View Postgaryt, on 07 December 2018 - 06:28 AM, said:

There was a pretty good thread about this awhile back. I tried to search for it but couldn't find it. I'll be interested myself. Who'd you see the last time? I'd like to find a guy who will work with what I have as a 62 year old player and not try to get me to swing like a flexible pro.

I do not remember his name, it was out of Carls golf land.

He was good, but I felt he would be better at teaching beginners.

#5 rad22

rad22

• Members
  • Pip
  • 24 posts
  •  

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:41 AM

View PostAlecEmersonGolf, on 07 December 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

Guys I have worked with

Steve Vecellio - really nice guy, my current pro, really knows his stuff, not a total rebuild guy, has trackman access, only issue is he spends the winters in florida so if you want to work over the winter that's not going to happen. Out of Birmingham CC
Bret Hartman - great guy out of OU golf center, same stuff as Steve but the reason I switched was steve was closer and I got along with him better (home pro). Also he sends a commentated video of your swing exaplaining what he wants you to work on between lessons which i think is really cool.

Ken Allard - DGC

The OU instructor may actually work out.

I also saw that Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor has a holiday special right now. So i was thinking about scheduling some with Dave Kendall. Have you heard anything about him vs Paul Haase

#6 ggpro

ggpro

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 415 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3188
  • Handicap:Pro
GolfWRX Likes : 54

Posted 08 December 2018 - 05:39 PM

View Postrad22, on 06 December 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Looking for an instructor as my tendency to hit the ball off the heel is making me insane. I am incredibly consistent... nearly every shot i hit is off the heel.  I feel that my adjustments are only going to be detrimental to my swing.  I think its time for professional help!

Of note, I did get a lesson earlier this year, however I was not very happy with it. I am an above average golfer and can very easily shoot in the high 70's. My goal is to improve the swing i have, identify my mistakes and correct them.  The vibe I got from the instructor at that time was a complete rebuild.

Tom Rinna is very good!

#7 Dakroub

Dakroub

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514598
  • Handicap:9
  • Ebay ID:Mdakroub
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:06 PM

Jordan Young Fox Hills GC EMAIL
jordany@foxhills.com

PHONE

#8 AlecEmersonGolf

AlecEmersonGolf

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 368693
  • Handicap:1.0
GolfWRX Likes : 160

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:27 PM

View Postrad22, on 08 December 2018 - 08:41 AM, said:

View PostAlecEmersonGolf, on 07 December 2018 - 06:48 PM, said:

Guys I have worked with

Ken Allard - DGC

The OU instructor may actually work out.

I also saw that Miles of Golf in Ann Arbor has a holiday special right now. So i was thinking about scheduling some with Dave Kendall. Have you heard anything about him vs Paul Haase
Both are good, I only reccomend paul because I know a guy who worked with him and liked him. Heard generally good vibes about dave but never personally known anyone who worked with him.
Driver - 915 D3 8.5 Aldila Rouge Black X C1 setting
3 wood - Callaway x2 hot pro 15 degree Aldila Rouge Green stiff
Hybrid - 20.5 degree titleist 816 h1 diamana white stiff a1 setting
irons - scratch sb1 4-p ctaper 130 x shaft dd sole
wedges - 52/56/60 edel
putter - edel e-3 torque balanced

#9 garyt

garyt

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 311399
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 57

Posted 09 December 2018 - 10:26 AM

View Postggpro, on 08 December 2018 - 05:39 PM, said:

View Postrad22, on 06 December 2018 - 06:20 PM, said:

Tom Rinna is very good!

If you're interested in the Ballard swing.

#10 ferrispgm

ferrispgm

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,751 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 925
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 603

Posted 10 December 2018 - 10:38 AM

Larry Hamilton at Twin Lakes. I used to work for him and he is a great guy and a darn good instructor

Driver: Callaway Epic 9* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD M9003
FWY:  Taylormade Rocketballz Tp 14.5*
Hybrid:  Adams Idea Pro 18*
Irons: Srixon Z765 3-5 iron, z965 6-PW, Project X
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: Cleveland CG14 1 dot
Putter: Taylormade Daytona Rossa with agsi.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 HackerDave

HackerDave

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,295 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 57404
  • Handicap:13.5
GolfWRX Likes : 267

Posted 10 December 2018 - 11:07 AM

Ben Bockin and Chad Elledge run the Golf Leadership Academy.   They run academies at Western Golf and Walnut Creek in the summer and have a very nice indoor facility in Farmington Hills.  I know several who have worked with them with good results.

#12 etrichards

etrichards

Advanced

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 83132
GolfWRX Likes : 52

Posted 13 December 2018 - 09:59 AM

I think it was probably my post from a month or so ago that was referenced.   After all of the advice, I was actually leaning towards the video/online approach until I video taped my own swing and realized it had gotten worse than I thought, and given my limited time to work on thing over the winter decided In person was probably better.  

I opted to see Larry Hamilton and came away very impressed.   I really liked how he was not going to fit me into a method, but it was about coming up with solutions around the way my body wants to work.   Also gave me drills to address the issues and I can even do these at home (works for what I was after for the first lesson until spring when I can devote more time).

Thanks again to everyone for the advice on my original post!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors