Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Pros Pre Shot Routine - Who do you try to copy?


  • Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 theothertwo

theothertwo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7986
  • Joined: 11/21/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:43 PM

When I am having a good round, it's mostly because I'm aligning properly.  To do this, I like the Greg Norman routine of finding the target, aiming the club face and then lining up your body.

Bridgestone J715 10.5* Driver, GBB 816 Alpha 16* 4 Wood, Bridgestone J15 21* Hybrid, Titleist 816H1 25* Hybrid, Bridgestone J33 CB 6-PW, Bridgestone BX W-1 52* & 58* Wedges, Slighter Seattle Blade Prototype Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 rcb1586

rcb1586

    Advanced

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 381454
  • Joined: 06/19/2015
  • Location:Columbus, Ohio
  • Handicap:10
GolfWRX Likes : 182

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

I alternate between Patrick Cantlay and Keegan Bradley.
Not because it helps me, but it frustrates my opponents.

More serious answer.
I tend to hit the ball better when I get swing thoughts out of my head and just hit the ball.
So for me, it's less routine and more mental.

Edited by rcb1586, 06 December 2018 - 12:54 PM.

TM M1 430, Fujikura Pro Tour spec 73X
TM RBZ stage 2 3HL, stock Matrix RocketFuel stiff
TM RBZ stage 2 21.5* hybrid, Proforce Axivcore tour black X
Mizuno MPH5 4-6, DG Pro S300
Mizuno MP15 7-PW, DG Pro S300
Mizuno MPT5 50.07, 54.12, 62.08, stock wedge shaft
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03H 34"

2

#3 Mych

Mych

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,539 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 184224
  • Joined: 06/03/2012
  • Location:SE Houston/Galv
  • Ebay ID:mychaluva
GolfWRX Likes : 780

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:54 PM

I pay a lot of attention to what Dechambeau does. I like the physics of the game, so I like considering angles, kinematic chains, sequences, what movements enable or restrict other movements.

From a PSR perspective, I grab bits and pieces from various people, mostly trying to figure out how to get square, balanced, and to start with a good tempo.
"Of all the hazards, fear is the worst" - Sam Snead

Main bag: Cobra Fly-Z 10.5*~ F6 Baffler 4-5w ~ King Utility ~ F8 OL 3H ~ King Forged One 4-P ~ King 50-V, 56-W wedges ~ Odyssey Metal X Milled Rossie

6 club minimalist: Cobra F8 OL 3H (tee+putting) ~ Forged One 5/7/9 ~ King 50,56 ~ Silo Club Carrier

3

#4 Zitlow

Zitlow

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 80 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 507880
  • Joined: 07/22/2018
  • Location:TX
GolfWRX Likes : 10

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:53 PM

Lexi Thompson aims her right palm at the target and lines up the rest around that.

4

#5 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

    I Strive to make you Better

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Joined: 12/13/2011
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1884

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:10 PM

What do and teach

Make a decision on what your going to do

Look at your target and vizualation your shot

Make a practice swing at 30 to 50% with eyes closed feeling the motion

Look at target again

Walk in, waggle while looking at target, hit

Good shot...twirl

Bad shot...4 letter word...then make a slow motion practice swing like above and move on

Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

                LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

5

#6 pusb365

pusb365

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 358233
  • Joined: 01/16/2015
  • Location:United Kingdom
GolfWRX Likes : 196

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:41 PM

Regarding swing thoughts over the ball. I bet most pros have some thought or thoughts?

Surely they don't just have a completely blank mind?

Presumably they don't have 15 swing thoughts like us amateurs, but I bet they all have one or two swing thoughts/keys in their head.

What do you guys think?

6

#7 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12272

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:11 PM

View Postpusb365, on 06 December 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Regarding swing thoughts over the ball. I bet most pros have some thought or thoughts?

Surely they don't just have a completely blank mind?

Presumably they don't have 15 swing thoughts like us amateurs, but I bet they all have one or two swing thoughts/keys in their head.

What do you guys think?

No, not blank.

DJ - "That's breaking 3 feet."

Attached Thumbnails

  • images.jpeg

"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

7

#8 Baitkiller

Baitkiller

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,564 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 359765
  • Joined: 01/27/2015
  • Location:SW Fl.
  • Handicap:Yes
GolfWRX Likes : 1100

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:29 PM

Its probably a blend. Freddy maybe. Funny is my kids copy mine sorta. One 3/4 swing from well behind the ball just to find out how far away the ground is. Set my left hand and spot the target. Stare down the target or line as i walk up and line up. Put the right hand down. Maybe a waggle or press with one more peek then pull. I designed it for television viewing. Ill bet its impressive on tv. Shame that never happened.
Been dying to try the j day star gaze but im afraid of being swatted by my daughter.
Turn over damnit!
Krank 9*  Formula 5 UST Tour
Adams 15* wasabi
XXIO pro 5
Adams Pro Gold Forged 3-46* / Steelfibers
Vanilla wedges 53 and 58*
Betti-1
K-sig

8

#9 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12272

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:53 PM

View PostSantiago Golf, on 06 December 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

What do and teach

Make a decision on what your going to do

Look at your target and vizualation your shot

Make a practice swing at 30 to 50% with eyes closed feeling the motion

Look at target again

Walk in, waggle while looking at target, hit

Good shot...twirl

Bad shot...4 letter word...then make a slow motion practice swing like above and move on

Wouldn't visualization, eyes open or closed, be an individual thing?

Is the only "rule" of PSRs, for those that use them, that they have a consistent PSR that works for them vs. a routine that every student will be taught?

I know if "I'm seeing a shot" that closing my eyes and disconnecting from the target, for example, wouldn't work real well, but may work well for others.

Anyway, it's something to me that seems a lot more individual than "method".  

Are we injecting too much process into seeing a target and hitting the ball?

The subject of PSRs is interesting.
"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

9

#10 theothertwo

theothertwo

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,135 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 7986
  • Joined: 11/21/2005
GolfWRX Likes : 216

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:58 PM

Remember Corey Pavin's old PSR in his hey day?  More like Justin Rose's PSR, almost like a practice lesson.

Bridgestone J715 10.5* Driver, GBB 816 Alpha 16* 4 Wood, Bridgestone J15 21* Hybrid, Titleist 816H1 25* Hybrid, Bridgestone J33 CB 6-PW, Bridgestone BX W-1 52* & 58* Wedges, Slighter Seattle Blade Prototype Putter

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 farmer

farmer

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,433 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 70095
  • Joined: 12/02/2008
GolfWRX Likes : 3276

Posted 06 December 2018 - 09:24 PM

View Posttheothertwo, on 06 December 2018 - 12:43 PM, said:

When I am having a good round, it's mostly because I'm aligning properly.  To do this, I like the Greg Norman routine of finding the target, aiming the club face and then lining up your body.
I do this.  No practice swing, just get set up and go.

11

#12 Kuchhhhhh

Kuchhhhhh

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 374835
  • Joined: 05/07/2015
  • Handicap:0
GolfWRX Likes : 950

Posted 06 December 2018 - 10:09 PM

Mine is pretty much identical to Jason Day’s 1) visualize shot 2) get over shot/lined up 3) small takeaway rehearsal 1 last look then pull trigger
Taylormade M4 10.5 Atmos X stiff
Taylormade M4 16.5 Proforce V2
Titleist 716 T-MB 3 & 4 iron, 716 AP2 5-PW X100
Titleist SM6 50, 54, 60 S300
Taylormade Spider Red

12

#13 OakLawnGolfPro

OakLawnGolfPro

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 486006
  • Joined: 11/03/2017
  • Location:Oak Lawn, IL
  • Handicap:0
  • Ebay ID:scottwhogan
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:15 AM

They got a thought or two for sure.  But definitely wouldn’t want to copy someone else’s just to copy it.  It’s supposed to get YOU ready to hit the shot.

Mine is a little waggle where I feel how I want my release to be through the shot.  Then I go.

13

#14 SirFuego

SirFuego

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 466424
  • Joined: 05/05/2017
GolfWRX Likes : 61

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:35 AM

View Postpusb365, on 06 December 2018 - 06:41 PM, said:

Presumably they don't have 15 swing thoughts like us amateurs, but I bet they all have one or two swing thoughts/keys in their head.
Unfortunately I cannot remember where I read this, but there was an article regarding swing thoughts I read a few years ago.  Generally speaking, the swing thoughts they think of are very high level and not technical at all.  I remember terms used like "turn", "rotate", or "relax".

One pro said that there were 5 or 6 different swing thoughts he found over the years that worked well for him on certain days.  When he would get to the range before his round, he would find out which of the swing thoughts worked best for him and would stick to it the rest of the day.  He said that he would sometimes use a different swing thought each day throughout a tournament.

14

#15 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12272

Posted 07 December 2018 - 08:49 AM

While watching the Hawks thumping of Iowa State last night I was also watching the final round of the '86 Masters on my laptop.  The idea was to see what passed for PSR's. Norman, Price, Ballesteros, Nicklaus, Watson, etc.  Also took a look into some old Hogan, Snead footage.

While there were exceptions, and whether you call it visualization, focusing before the shot, etc., they were all consistent in their own way and mostly focusing on the target either beside or behind the ball, stepping in and getting ready and hitting the darn ball.

Just me, but I think "routine" means do something consistently, instead of (for some) an invitation to come up with some extended series of whatever.

Some really good players on here have had some great posts on PSRs and the value of them, and some in this thread, but sometimes it seems the "discovery" of the mental game has led to overthinking something that you perceive and process as a whole instead of breaking some things up into parts that may better be used as practice range tools.

"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

15

#16 Santiago Golf

Santiago Golf

    I Strive to make you Better

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,587 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 151005
  • Joined: 12/13/2011
  • Handicap:???
GolfWRX Likes : 1884

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:40 AM

View PostHawkeye77, on 06 December 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

View PostSantiago Golf, on 06 December 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

What do and teach

Make a decision on what your going to do

Look at your target and vizualation your shot

Make a practice swing at 30 to 50% with eyes closed feeling the motion

Look at target again

Walk in, waggle while looking at target, hit

Good shot...twirl

Bad shot...4 letter word...then make a slow motion practice swing like above and move on

Wouldn't visualization, eyes open or closed, be an individual thing?

Is the only "rule" of PSRs, for those that use them, that they have a consistent PSR that works for them vs. a routine that every student will be taught?

I know if "I'm seeing a shot" that closing my eyes and disconnecting from the target, for example, wouldn't work real well, but may work well for others.

Anyway, it's something to me that seems a lot more individual than "method".  

Are we injecting too much process into seeing a target and hitting the ball?

The subject of PSRs is interesting.

This what i teach, doesnt mean all my golfers do this, they do their own variation, same as their swing. Though most if them need a base to create their psr and YES keep it consistent depending on the shot.

For me i have some slight variations

Driver, two practice feels
Irons, one practice feel
Wedges, three practice feels
Putters, none
Driver: Taylormade M2 '17 10.5*; Accura Tour Z Pink, 85 M5 (285, can get one or two to carry 300+ if needed)
Fairway: Taylormade Aeroburner TP 15*; Diamana Blueboard 72x (255)

                LOOKING FOR A 7 Wood (probably gunna be 230-235 club)
Irons: Nike Vapor Pro Combo 4-AW; Aldila VS Proto "By You" 100x
   4-5; 38", 61* lie, 5 iron weight (220, 210) 6-8; 37", 62* lie, 8 iron weight (195, 180, 165) 9-AW; 36", 63* lie (150, 130, 110)

S Wedge: Scratch 1018 DS 57*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35.5", 63.5* lie (85): I HARDLY USE IT IN THE BUNKER
L Wedge: Maltby Third Wedge (Custom Grind) 62*; Dynamic Gold S400 Onyx; 35", 64* lie: THIS IS MY BUNKER CLUB, HARDLY USE FROM OUTSIDE 40 YARDS!!
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 MB, YES! Tour Tracey (for practice only)

Ball: Vice Pro
Grip: Super Stroke S-Tech Cord (Woods +6 wraps, Irons and wedges +8 wraps)

16

#17 eagle1997

eagle1997

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,991 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 121529
  • Joined: 02/01/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 22182

Posted 07 December 2018 - 10:46 AM

alex noren, followed by ariya jutanugarn's smile, brings me to my happy place.
Cobra F8+ 9.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cally Steelhead XR 17°
Cobra BioCell 22°
Cobra One Length 5-PW
Bstone J15 50°
Bstone J15 52°
Odyssey Black Milled #1

17

#18 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,812 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12272

Posted 07 December 2018 - 02:45 PM

View PostSantiago Golf, on 07 December 2018 - 10:40 AM, said:

View PostHawkeye77, on 06 December 2018 - 07:53 PM, said:

View PostSantiago Golf, on 06 December 2018 - 06:10 PM, said:

What do and teach

Make a decision on what your going to do

Look at your target and vizualation your shot

Make a practice swing at 30 to 50% with eyes closed feeling the motion

Look at target again

Walk in, waggle while looking at target, hit

Good shot...twirl

Bad shot...4 letter word...then make a slow motion practice swing like above and move on

Wouldn't visualization, eyes open or closed, be an individual thing?

Is the only "rule" of PSRs, for those that use them, that they have a consistent PSR that works for them vs. a routine that every student will be taught?

I know if "I'm seeing a shot" that closing my eyes and disconnecting from the target, for example, wouldn't work real well, but may work well for others.

Anyway, it's something to me that seems a lot more individual than "method".  

Are we injecting too much process into seeing a target and hitting the ball?

The subject of PSRs is interesting.

This what i teach, doesnt mean all my golfers do this, they do their own variation, same as their swing. Though most if them need a base to create their psr and YES keep it consistent depending on the shot.

For me i have some slight variations

Driver, two practice feels
Irons, one practice feel
Wedges, three practice feels
Putters, none

Thanks for the additional info!
"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

18



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors