Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

Fingers hinge the club?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80461
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 939

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:48 AM

Do fingers hinge the clubs/ get it on plane?

I thought I read something about fingers pulling while the thumb of the other hand pushes but I forget where I actually read it.

Looking for someone to expand if this is a thing?

Thank you!

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 Luke_Ryan

Luke_Ryan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415548
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:22 PM

I think the feel in this video is exactly what you're describing.

#3 UnderPar18

UnderPar18

Previously Ecsugolf1

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 4,416 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 80461
  • Handicap:1
GolfWRX Likes : 939

Posted 06 December 2018 - 12:51 PM

View PostLuke_Ryan, on 06 December 2018 - 12:22 PM, said:

I think the feel in this video is exactly what you're describing.

Yes but Iím using my fingers to do it vs. someone else pressing on the club. So my lead hand thumb press down to counter act my middle and ring finger pulling up.

#4 KMo23

KMo23

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 516184
GolfWRX Likes : 20

Posted 07 December 2018 - 06:32 AM

For a rH golfer correct hinge is through pushing downward with your left palm- those who hinge by pulling with the right are starting a poor chain reaction of events- remember the LH is supposed to be the dominant one in the Gold swing

#5 BMC

BMC

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,200 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 108173
  • Handicap:YES
GolfWRX Likes : 3066

Posted 07 December 2018 - 07:51 AM

I believe the weight of the club hinges your wrist.  Shoulder starts the swing.  I'm more into a more natural swinging motion without thinking about the small details, though.

Callaway Rogue driver
PING Rapture OG 3 wood
Cobra Baffler Pro 4-hybrid
MacGregor VIP MBs (1990) 4-PW
Vokey wedges
Odyssey #1WS

#6 moehogan

moehogan

Tour Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 63462
GolfWRX Likes : 231

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:13 AM

View PostKMo23, on 07 December 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

For a rH golfer correct hinge is through pushing downward with your left palm- those who hinge by pulling with the right are starting a poor chain reaction of events- remember the LH is supposed to be the dominant one in the Gold swing

Lots of ways to get it done, but I prefer to "remember" this fella's advice ...

"When I describe a golf shot and gesture with one of my hands, it's always the right hand I gesture with. That's because golf is a right-handed game [for right-handers], not a left-handed game as some people believe. Hogan was emphatic about that. The right hand controls the position of the clubface, generates the speed, applies the touch, everything. All the left hand does is hold on to the club, and hopefully not break down on the downswing."

- Ken Venturi

#7 KMeloney

KMeloney

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,600 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 26608
  • Handicap:@ 7
GolfWRX Likes : 980

Posted 07 December 2018 - 11:14 AM

View PostBMC, on 07 December 2018 - 07:51 AM, said:

I believe the weight of the club hinges your wrist.  Shoulder starts the swing.  I'm more into a more natural swinging motion without thinking about the small details, though.

Good caveat at the end there, since everyone's different (or currently has different deficiencies). For me, I need to consciously add hinge to the start of my swing. Otherwise, I'm like the guy in the video above who takes the club back too straight-wristed, leading to either a bouncy float-loading at the top of the swing that I can't control, or not enough hinge ever. And I have to say that adding this into the swing feels really, really strange right now -- but I know it's something that will help my ball striking tremendously.

#8 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 402

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:37 AM

I was thinking of employing the push down of the club at takeaway for a better wrist set. Also, for some, is it possible this is a good idea as we may hinge too late and sway?

Edited by Tanner25, 08 December 2018 - 08:37 AM.

#9 Rohlio

Rohlio

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 69345
GolfWRX Likes : 378

Posted 08 December 2018 - 08:55 AM

The push down with my left palm works phenomenally for me to get into a great position with my irons and wedges, it helps me shorten my swing, get rid of sloppy over swing and maintain width...

With fairway woods and driver it is a freaking disaster though I get set too soon and lose all my rhythm. With my woods I actually try to have the feeling of absolutely no wrist cocking. I just try to keep my arms as long as possible and I end up at parallel at the top with a full wrist c0ck.

From a feeling perspective it is the biggest difference in my woods and irons... If I try the same move with both I can barely hit the ball.

#10 Tanner25

Tanner25

Hall of Fame

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,053 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 46356
GolfWRX Likes : 402

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:49 AM

View PostRohlio, on 08 December 2018 - 08:55 AM, said:

The push down with my left palm works phenomenally for me to get into a great position with my irons and wedges, it helps me shorten my swing, get rid of sloppy over swing and maintain width...

With fairway woods and driver it is a freaking disaster though I get set too soon and lose all my rhythm. With my woods I actually try to have the feeling of absolutely no wrist cocking. I just try to keep my arms as long as possible and I end up at parallel at the top with a full wrist c0ck.

From a feeling perspective it is the biggest difference in my woods and irons... If I try the same move with both I can barely hit the ball.

Interesting, I fully believe there should be an iron swing. With the longer club on a tee - it's just different.

Edited by Tanner25, 08 December 2018 - 10:49 AM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 BrianMcG

BrianMcG

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,830 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 71565
GolfWRX Likes : 2373

Posted 08 December 2018 - 11:00 AM

View PostKMo23, on 07 December 2018 - 06:32 AM, said:

Can you post that in the Jimmy Ballard thread?  I just want to see what happens.
Walter: Tell me Bobby, why do you play this game?
Bobby: I play because I love it.
Walter: Well I play for the money. I have to win. That is why every time we face each other I will always beat you.

#12 fairways4life

fairways4life

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 610

Posted 08 December 2018 - 03:48 PM

I saw this thread the other day and tried it on the course today. Overall I liked it and felt like it helped to get me set at the top. My natural tendency is to bow my left wrist a little bit and get the shaft laid off.

How early should you be applying the pressure with the thumb? Early in the round I was doing it right on the takeaway but then I started waiting until the club head got back a little bit before I started pressing the thumb. Is there a certain point in the takeaway that you should start feeling it?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors