Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

HELP! - Can't fix inside takeaway

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Luke_Ryan

Luke_Ryan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 415548
  • Handicap:3.2
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:11 PM

I need some help. I've tried really hard to fix my inside takeaway, but no matter what I do, I still revert to snatching the head to the inside. I play to a 2.1 index right now, and I generally hit the ball pretty well, however, I definitely think this plagues my consistency a lot. As you can see, I don't come OTT as a result of my inside takeaway like most players, and I actually like where my plane is on the way down to the ball here. In this vid I actually hit a pretty damn good drive, but I really want to get my takeaway on plane and do away with this horrible looking and inefficient inside takeaway.

I welcome any and all critique with my swing, as I am a firm believer that the only way to get better is admitting your faults.

Thanks Golfwrx'ers!!!

Edited by Luke_Ryan, 05 December 2018 - 01:40 PM.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#2 carrera

carrera

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,421 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 139
GolfWRX Likes : 350

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:34 PM

Video not available.

#3 Luke_Ryan

Luke_Ryan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:40 PM

View Postcarrera, on 05 December 2018 - 01:34 PM, said:

Video not available.

Should be fixed now

#4 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 11313

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:23 PM

I’d like to see a face on and a down the line from closer up and lower, but it’s very possible trying to fix this might be just aesthetic.  

#5 Luke_Ryan

Luke_Ryan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:50 PM

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 05 December 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

I’d like to see a face on and a down the line from closer up and lower, but it’s very possible trying to fix this might be just aesthetic.  

Is that because I'm able to route the club properly on plane in the downswing? I've also been told by some of my golfing buddies that I tend to "sway" as well. I'll try and get a DTL and Face-on from closer up tonight at the range.

#6 MonteScheinblum

MonteScheinblum

Rebellion Golf

• Sponsors
  • 18,115 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 94238
GolfWRX Likes : 11313

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:55 PM

View PostLuke_Ryan, on 05 December 2018 - 02:50 PM, said:

View PostMonteScheinblum, on 05 December 2018 - 02:23 PM, said:

I've also been told by some of my golfing buddies that I tend to "sway" as well.

That’s what I want to see.

#7 Strolf

Strolf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 318055
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:strubay

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:17 PM

Luke, A couple things (I have this a similar move fault, and have worked a ton to try and fix it going from 20+ handi down to 6 now, not quite a 2, but I geek out on this with my coach more than most :) )  
  • What we can see:
    • I actually think you may be coming over the top, but that angle doesn't show it.  The reason I say this is that it looks like the ball is starting way left of your target line, (apologies if that's the video).  That to me says you're still coming across the ball, either by shutting the face, or through plane.  Both are a result of what appears to be the loose takeaway and poor ground force interaction (swaying...see next bullet).
    • I agree with Monte, if you're swaying, a FO view might help to check that out. Sway cause may be not be loading glutes properly and not creating ground force/interaction (whatever you want to call it).  The other little thing that makes me think you may not be interacting with the ground properly is on the downswing, your hips look super active,
  • Think of the takeaway as a chain reaction, started by your first move (loading the glutes, not a sway) and by the time the club gets inside (where you see that), it's too late to fix it.  I had same issue, ripping the club inside, and have worked to get it where it's more upright.  Here's a video my coach and I did (starring me), that might help you better understand how the hands and arms work in the takeaway.
  • https://www.youtube....h?v=oXxV9YM5kIA
Check it out, and please DM me if you want to dig a little deeper, or have questions about the moves.  BTW, I don't think you trying to fix this issue is going to hurt your game or make you worse off, if anything, it will help you get better, although you're likely to feel like you're getting worse for a bit while you work through the issue.  
Matt

#8 Luke_Ryan

Luke_Ryan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:29 PM

Thanks for the thoughtful and detailed reply Matt.

I 100% agree with everything you've stated. I think I'm able to get away playing pretty good golf as a result of pure timing / athletic ability. I played hockey very competitively growing up, and all of the moves involved have probably just translated extremely well. I Started playing about golf approx. 3 years ago, and have never have had a lesson. I've been able to teach myself through playing religiously, as well as surrounding myself with buddies who are all scratch or plus handicaps and learning from them.

My one buddy has told me the same thing as you; that I don't activate the ground (through the trail leg) properly, which leads to a sway in my backswing, which in turn can lead to issues at impact

I'm sure part of the reason for this all starts from the poor takeaway. So, would love to get the takeaway ironed out, which will lead to a better load = better impact = maybe scratch soon :)

Edited by Luke_Ryan, 05 December 2018 - 03:37 PM.

#9 bogeypro

bogeypro

The Original Bogeypro

• ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 2,953 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 3842
  • Handicap:+2
GolfWRX Likes : 1619

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:37 PM

Put a shoe box behind the driver.  Push it straight back on the takeaway.  Id also say lower you hands at setup.

Edited by bogeypro, 05 December 2018 - 03:37 PM.

Taylormade M1 440 9.5* tour (2017) w/Speeder 757 Evo ii X
Titleist 917 f2 15* w/Diamana S+ 70s
Titleist 718 TMB 3-pw w/PXi 6.0
Titleist Vokey SM7 50f/56m/60m
Scotty Cameron Newport

#10 Luke_Ryan

Luke_Ryan

Rookie

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 05 December 2018 - 03:40 PM

View Postbogeypro, on 05 December 2018 - 03:37 PM, said:

Put a shoe box behind the driver.  Push it straight back on the takeaway.  I'd also say lower you hands at setup.

Thanks! Will def try this later today and see how weird it feels haha.

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

GolfWRX Forums

Advertisement

#11 fairways4life

fairways4life

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 103145
GolfWRX Likes : 612

Posted 09 December 2018 - 08:04 PM

Chiming in late here but the inside takeaway is also something that creeps in for me every once in a while. I like to visualize a baseball catcher set up behind me in his crouch with his glove ready for the pitch. On my takeaway, I like to put my clubhead right into his glove. That gets me going straight back instead of to the inside.

#12 mhawk709

mhawk709

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 448510
GolfWRX Likes : 1

Posted 13 December 2018 - 05:43 PM

This is also a fault of mine. One thing my instructor recommended is slow motion full swings while exaggerating the move I want to make. In this case, slow motion swing while feeling the clubhead way outside the hands. It'll feel like a big loop. Here's a good video as well:

https://www.youtube....h?v=ssfACOTGek0

#13 Redjeep83

Redjeep83

Major Winner

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,877 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 115910
GolfWRX Likes : 861

Posted 13 December 2018 - 07:17 PM

Luke, downswing looks ptetty good to me, you might just be trying to fix something for asthetics. I like homegrown swings with quirky things in them when they actually work well. To be honest taking it more on plane during backswing might never feel natural like this does to you. Can try it but I would only do it to fix a ballflight issue your having

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors