Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

How I Broke Par


  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 greenmount

greenmount

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 398640
  • Joined: 10/06/2015
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:59 AM

Shot a 70 on a par 71 6050 yards. Nothing groundbreaking but long in the making for a former 20-odd hcap.

Note this is just what works for me, YMMV. This is for the 4-5 handicap crowd looking to get over the line.

1) Swing lessons - was shooting mid 80s a couple years ago) . Fixed my big two way miss with driver (getting stuck and flipping) so lost balls are rare. Probably the most important part, can’t underestimate standing on a tear not fearing OB any more.

2) Learned how to hit a punch shot with very little wrist rotation. It’s an anti pressure shot for guaranteed ball then turf contact when shot doesn’t suit my eye. Hard to miss big with this.

3) When practising tee shots all I care about is not missing a particular side. For me this is far more important than trying to hit straight, rarely is there OB or water down both sides. Eg. tee it down to avoid the big left miss.

4) Started pacing out putts when walking the line. Why not know the footage of each putt to give your brain more data. Seems to be frowned upon but works for me.

I putt from the rough too if it’s near the green, eliminate the big miss with the chip. There’s a theme here.

5) Find a ball that suits YOUR game including where you play. Settled on Pro V1 which has less spin so works well in England’s soft conditions for spinny players. I ripped the ball off the green for years thinking spin was cool.

Keen to break 70 now so interested to hear other’s methods for low scoring.

Driver TaylorMade M1 460
4 Wood TaylorMade M1
Hybrid 3H Cobra King F6
Hybrid 3i Mizuno MP Fli-Hi

Irons 5-AW Callaway Apex Pro
Wedges 54* & 58* Titleist SM5
Putter Odyssey #1 White Hot RX
Ball Titleist Pro V1

Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 PorscheFan

PorscheFan

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 483074
  • Joined: 09/28/2017
  • Location:Midwest
  • Handicap:12
GolfWRX Likes : 474

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:04 AM

Good thread.  I love 2) - that's something I'm working on right now over the Winter.

My punch has been less than accurate this year, and what I realized from playing around with Skytrak is that when I move from a regular swing to a punch right now my swing becomes more in-to-out and there's distinctly more of a draw than my stock shot.  Now that I know that I can work to straighten it up a little so that my curve is similar to my stock.

2

#3 dg_1983

dg_1983

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 67526
  • Joined: 10/13/2008
  • Location:Fife, Scotland
  • Handicap:0.2
GolfWRX Likes : 545

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:54 PM

Get your ball starting on a reasonable line, with reasonably low side spin. You soon find that trouble only exists left or right.

Combined with the above dial in distance control from 150 inwards.

Putt and chip reasonably well.

Low single figures right there, breaking 70 and or par occasionally.

Edited by dg_1983, 05 December 2018 - 12:55 PM.

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

3

#4 HandsomeDave

HandsomeDave

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 146 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 304609
  • Joined: 03/30/2014
  • Location:Washington, DC
  • Handicap:6.6
GolfWRX Likes : 92

Posted 05 December 2018 - 04:51 PM

Congratulations!!!  Number 1- is the biggest hinderance in my game, penalty strokes off the tee.  Working hard this winter on my swing to eliminate the off the planet misses.  Hopefully it will bear some fruit.  Nice to see someone travel the road I hope to.
Ping G15 Driver, 3 wood
TEE CBX 19* hybrid, TM RBZ Tour 4 hybrid
Mizuno MP-5 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy 2 50, PM 56, 60
Cleveland Classic HB1

4

#5 J295

J295

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 514354
  • Joined: 10/14/2018
  • Location:Nebraska
  • Handicap:6
  • Ebay ID:J295
GolfWRX Likes : 8

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:29 PM

Thanks for sharing this. Good encouragement for me.


5

#6 Hawkeye77

Hawkeye77

    Happy Holidays!

  • ClubWRX Charter Members
  • 15,834 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 100868
  • Joined: 12/27/2009
  • Location:Iowa
GolfWRX Likes : 12302

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:41 PM

View Postdg_1983, on 05 December 2018 - 12:54 PM, said:

Get your ball starting on a reasonable line, with reasonably low side spin. You soon find that trouble only exists left or right.

Combined with the above dial in distance control from 150 inwards.

Putt and chip reasonably well.

Low single figures right there, breaking 70 and or par occasionally.

Hard to argue with this - now if you could just get it to penetrate my hard head . . . . .
"We've Got That Holiday Feeling!"

6

#7 jim rockford

jim rockford

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 132362
  • Joined: 07/05/2011
GolfWRX Likes : 42

Posted 05 December 2018 - 05:59 PM

great stuff.......... i'm a 12 handicap and if i could hit my drives straight, i think i could get that way down. and you mention not even hitting drives straight, but consistent miss.

i have a one question:

do you hit alot of short game shots with very highly lofted club? or do you mix in much less lofted clubs? like a pw or even a 7i or 8i?..  i have caddied in golf's top minor leagues and i find every player i've seen up close uses 58 or 60 degree wedge almost exclusively anywhere remotely near the green (that works ok - only ok - if it's dry and i have practiced alot and/or watched these players from up close recently

how many yards are you hitting that stiff-wristed punch shot?

the "pacing your putts off" is interesting......... my one pet peeve at golf course is 4some where each player deals with everything to do with their putts in order. i think golf needs to relax a bunch of its etiquette i.e. walking across someone's line 20 feet from the hole. everyone being allowed to move around until X player is only seconds away from hitting putt... as it's a pet peeve i am cognizant of how long i take lining up my own putts. if i take too long, i feel self-conscious.

7

#8 Golf Shakespeare

Golf Shakespeare

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 517614
  • Joined: 12/04/2018
  • Location:California
  • Handicap:9
GolfWRX Likes : 0

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:11 PM

I have a question for this group. I'm a 9 and the main reason I'm not a 4 or 5 and ready to take the next step to par is that I shank usually 2 balls a round which costs me a lot of strokes. My question is have any of you dealt with this?

It's very strange because nearly all of my shots are solidly hit with a professional ball flight and then a shank comes out of nowhere. I think I'm pulling the handle too fast and leaving the face open or simply hitting it off the hose but I'm not 100% sure because it's hard for me to replicate it on the range. It only happens on the course.

8

#9 wmblake2000

wmblake2000

    Hall of Fame

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,206 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 33930
  • Joined: 07/07/2007
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 3192

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:30 PM

View Postepl9, on 05 December 2018 - 02:59 AM, said:

Shot a 70 on a par 71 6050 yards. Nothing groundbreaking but long in the making for a former 20-odd hcap.

Note this is just what works for me, YMMV. This is for the 4-5 handicap crowd looking to get over the line.

1) Swing lessons - was shooting mid 80s a couple years ago) . Fixed my big two way miss with driver (getting stuck and flipping) so lost balls are rare. Probably the most important part, can’t underestimate standing on a tear not fearing OB any more.

2) Learned how to hit a punch shot with very little wrist rotation. It’s an anti pressure shot for guaranteed ball then turf contact when shot doesn’t suit my eye. Hard to miss big with this.

3) When practising tee shots all I care about is not missing a particular side. For me this is far more important than trying to hit straight, rarely is there OB or water down both sides. Eg. tee it down to avoid the big left miss.

4) Started pacing out putts when walking the line. Why not know the footage of each putt to give your brain more data. Seems to be frowned upon but works for me.

I putt from the rough too if it’s near the green, eliminate the big miss with the chip. There’s a theme here.

5) Find a ball that suits YOUR game including where you play. Settled on Pro V1 which has less spin so works well in England’s soft conditions for spinny players. I ripped the ball off the green for years thinking spin was cool.

Keen to break 70 now so interested to hear other’s methods for low scoring.

Great stuff. Congrats! Seriously, that's nice, regardless of the course.  

Which is a little disingenuous on my part, as my goal is to break par on a little 4400 yrd par 64 course....
Ping GMax 400 10.5
Callaway Epic Hybrid 2h
Royal Collection 3, 4 h
Royal Collection 5-W
RomaRo Pro 3-W
TM P790 4-AW
Fourteen mt28v3 50, 54, 58
Cameron Futura 5W

If you see any more new irons before 2020, call the paramedics because my wife will have seriously injured me

9

#10 cfunk11

cfunk11

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 352411
  • Joined: 12/18/2014
  • Location:omaha, ne
  • Handicap:15
GolfWRX Likes : 45

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:27 PM

Question, on #2. How many times a round do you think you is your punch shot? Are you using it into greens or just for getting out of trouble? It might be a shot I need to spend more range time on.


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 greenmount

greenmount

    Newbie

  • Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 398640
  • Joined: 10/06/2015
  • Location:UK
  • Handicap:4.8
GolfWRX Likes : 16

Posted 06 December 2018 - 02:57 AM

View Postjim rockford, on 05 December 2018 - 05:59 PM, said:

great stuff.......... i'm a 12 handicap and if i could hit my drives straight, i think i could get that way down. and you mention not even hitting drives straight, but consistent miss.

i have a one question:

do you hit alot of short game shots with very highly lofted club? or do you mix in much less lofted clubs? like a pw or even a 7i or 8i?..  i have caddied in golf's top minor leagues and i find every player i've seen up close uses 58 or 60 degree wedge almost exclusively anywhere remotely near the green (that works ok - only ok - if it's dry and i have practiced alot and/or watched these players from up close recently

how many yards are you hitting that stiff-wristed punch shot?

the "pacing your putts off" is interesting......... my one pet peeve at golf course is 4some where each player deals with everything to do with their putts in order. i think golf needs to relax a bunch of its etiquette i.e. walking across someone's line 20 feet from the hole. everyone being allowed to move around until X player is only seconds away from hitting putt... as it's a pet peeve i am cognizant of how long i take lining up my own putts. if i take too long, i feel self-conscious.

If you are taking penalties with driver every round yes I’d advise fixing this first. Has cross over benefits such as shorter clubs in and enjoyment factor.

My punch goes 10-12 yards less than stock with each iron.

Short game I usually use AW (51) for bump and runs or chipping off upslopes, 54 high bounce for fluffy sand, 58 for everything else

Pacing putts - often play in a fourball so when there’s balls in the way I walk to the side out of everyone’s way. Doesn’t waste any time as I have to mark my ball then walk to the other side of the hole for a quick read anyway. Like you I’m extremely self conscious of holding anyone up, often to my detriment.

View Postcfunk11, on 05 December 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

Question, on #2. How many times a round do you think you is your punch shot? Are you using it into greens or just for getting out of trouble? It might be a shot I need to spend more range time on.

It’s very windy where I play so I use this a lot, maybe 8-10 times a round on approaches, the odd tee shot with 3 iron. When I play in the US I don’t use it as frequently.
Driver TaylorMade M1 460
4 Wood TaylorMade M1
Hybrid 3H Cobra King F6
Hybrid 3i Mizuno MP Fli-Hi

Irons 5-AW Callaway Apex Pro
Wedges 54* & 58* Titleist SM5
Putter Odyssey #1 White Hot RX
Ball Titleist Pro V1

11

#12 TheCityGame

TheCityGame

    Traj like Minaj

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,401 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 122960
  • Joined: 02/24/2011
  • Location:Baltimore
  • Handicap:2ish
GolfWRX Likes : 20553

Posted 06 December 2018 - 07:04 AM

This was the first year I got under par a couple times. Long story short, you need to eliminate bogeys. Birdies come and go. Some days putts fall. Some days they don't. But, keeping the ball in play and hitting the green is forever. I don't care how well you chip and putt, you're not going to go low 70's consistently if you're not hitting 10+ greens per round (you CAN. I've shot par hitting 6 greens. I've shot 77 hitting 14 greens, but those are the exceptions). It starts with a straight, reasonably long, tee ball and an on-target iron with good contact. Easy to say. Takes a lot of work.

My putting and chipping even feel like they've regressed a little as I've gone from a 5-ish cap to a 2-ish cap.

View Postcfunk11, on 05 December 2018 - 10:27 PM, said:

Question, on #2. How many times a round do you think you is your punch shot? Are you using it into greens or just for getting out of trouble? It might be a shot I need to spend more range time on.
If you're a 15, working on specialty shots is not where you want to focus your energies.
Ping G25 10.5º
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Sauce : tour
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/12º M-grind
Bobby Grace F-18

12



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors