Jump to content

Welcome. You are currently viewing the forum as a guest which does not give you access to all the great features at GolfWRX such as viewing all the images, interacting with members, access to all forums and eligiblility to win free giveaways. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free. Create a FREE GolfWRX account here.

- - - - -

NZ Golf?


  • Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Bizzle80

Bizzle80

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225125
  • Joined: 01/29/2013
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:24 PM

Heading to Auckland for work next week and looking into some courses for the trip...

I've got days free so going to try and play daily.

Ive emailed Titirangi and Royal Aucklang/Grange

Any thoughts on the other courses around?

Looking at:

Windross Farm
Clarks Beach
Formosa
Howick
Remuera

Anyone local can recommend or anyone local can host me at Royal/Grange? please...?


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


1

#2 WildcatGolfer

WildcatGolfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134286
  • Joined: 07/26/2011
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 04 December 2018 - 05:16 PM

It's probably a little over an hour but if you're not considering Tara Iti you're making a big mistake. One of the world's finest courses.

Edit: I'm an idiot, totally private, but you should at least consider becoming a billionaire quickly so you can play.

Edited by WildcatGolfer, 04 December 2018 - 09:13 PM.

Shovels
Rakes
2x4s
Baseball Bat

2

#3 BVIChester

BVIChester

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126679
  • Joined: 04/14/2011
  • Location:Auckland
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 04 December 2018 - 06:01 PM

Tara Iti is the most exclusive club in the country and you cannot play there without an invite (rarer than hens teeth) or fulfilling various other stipulations. There are of course a few exceptions depending on who you know and if you do get the chance im very envious.

Royal Auckland/Grange is currently undergoing a renovation after they merged so not sure on the conditions. Titirangi and Remuera are probably the top two courses on your list.

Im at Pupuke a club on the North Shore where Lydia Ko played which is an interesting little track in superb condition right now. If you were looking for another i would say that Muriwai would comparable to any of the top ones.

3

#4 WildcatGolfer

WildcatGolfer

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 138 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 134286
  • Joined: 07/26/2011
  • Location:Los Angeles
  • Handicap:6.3
GolfWRX Likes : 48

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:41 PM

View PostBVIChester, on 04 December 2018 - 06:01 PM, said:

Tara Iti is the most exclusive club in the country and you cannot play there without an invite (rarer than hens teeth) or fulfilling various other stipulations. There are of course a few exceptions depending on who you know and if you do get the chance im very envious.

Royal Auckland/Grange is currently undergoing a renovation after they merged so not sure on the conditions. Titirangi and Remuera are probably the top two courses on your list.

Im at Pupuke a club on the North Shore where Lydia Ko played which is an interesting little track in superb condition right now. If you were looking for another i would say that Muriwai would comparable to any of the top ones.

Appologies, I thought it was a resort. So if I have a chance to play it I shouldn't turn it down?
Shovels
Rakes
2x4s
Baseball Bat

4

#5 BVIChester

BVIChester

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 126679
  • Joined: 04/14/2011
  • Location:Auckland
GolfWRX Likes : 99

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:23 PM

You would have 99% of NZ golfers chew their own arm off for the opportunity. Its simply not a walk on green fee playing course for any amount of money


5

#6 Bizzle80

Bizzle80

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225125
  • Joined: 01/29/2013
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 05 December 2018 - 01:16 AM

Tara Iti on the list, but Iím going to wait til another trip so I can request to stay for a few days. Think I can get access...but guests are apparently only allowed a one time visit. Can stay as long as you want but then thatís it.

I am going to hit Titirangi and will probably check out Muriwai and wind Ross. Any thoughts on Clarkís Beach or Gulf Harbour?

Thx! Will recap post trip.

6

#7 puttnforthe8

puttnforthe8

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,594 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 88323
  • Joined: 07/13/2009
GolfWRX Likes : 468

Posted 05 December 2018 - 12:53 PM

I am guessing your time may not allow it, but it seems a shame to go all that way and not try and play Kauari Cliffs.

7

#8 Bargegolf

Bargegolf

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191402
  • Joined: 07/10/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:03 PM

In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.

We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...

8

#9 Mudguard

Mudguard

    Major Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,079 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 114531
  • Joined: 09/08/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 354

Posted 05 December 2018 - 02:34 PM

If you're coming to Auckland I would play:
Windross (though greens have been cored this week I believe)
Titirangi
Gulf Harbour

Kinloch near Taupo is easily my favourite, as is Cape Kidnappers. But they're probably for another trip.

I wouldn't bother trying to get on Royal Auckland until they've finished their rebuild.
Tara Iti I wouldn't bother either, from non-member accounts it is spectacular looking but not much fun to play, they've struggled with their greens and the experience is very American which may appeal, IE your bag is replaced with a carry bag, caddy mandatory etc. Plus it's not easy to get on, hence why I haven't played it!

9

#10 Trevorn

Trevorn

    Archie62

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14773
  • Joined: 05/14/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 05 December 2018 - 06:34 PM

View PostBargegolf, on 05 December 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.

We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...
Wairakei is just down the road from Kinloch so worth the effort to play there as well. Wine tasting in Hawkes Bay is great but if you are driving from Hawkes Bay to Wellington, you are almost passing through Martinborough so call in there as well if you like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay


Remove This Advertisement Viewing As Guest

    GolfWRX Forums

    Advertisement


10

#11 Rustynuts

Rustynuts

    Tour Winner

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 838 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 113807
  • Joined: 08/29/2010
GolfWRX Likes : 218

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:32 AM

Gulf Harbour
Titirangi
Windross Farm are all worth playing, I work at a place called wainui so happy to help you on there

11

#12 Bargegolf

Bargegolf

    Rookie

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 191402
  • Joined: 07/10/2012
GolfWRX Likes : 6

Posted 06 December 2018 - 01:58 PM

View PostTrevorn, on 05 December 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostBargegolf, on 05 December 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.

We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...
Wairakei is just down the road from Kinloch so worth the effort to play there as well. Wine tasting in Hawkes Bay is great but if you are driving from Hawkes Bay to Wellington, you are almost passing through Martinborough so call in there as well if you like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay

Tks for suggestion on Kinloch. We did consider it but can't fit it in. We are going to hit Martinborough on the way to Wellington. Our only "disappointment" is that the All Blacks will not be playing in NZ during our stay. We definitely would have wanted to see a game live.

12

#13 Trevorn

Trevorn

    Archie62

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 14773
  • Joined: 05/14/2006
GolfWRX Likes : 9

Posted 06 December 2018 - 06:23 PM

View PostBargegolf, on 06 December 2018 - 01:58 PM, said:

View PostTrevorn, on 05 December 2018 - 06:34 PM, said:

View PostBargegolf, on 05 December 2018 - 02:03 PM, said:

In celebration of my wife retirement we are doing a 3 week trip of the North Island in February. Golf a big part but also including lots of time in Auckland and Wellington, Wine tours in Hawks' Bay and also going all the way up to Cape Reinga.

We are playing Windross, Wairakei, Cape Kidnappers, Paraparaumu and Kauri Cliffs...
Wairakei is just down the road from Kinloch so worth the effort to play there as well. Wine tasting in Hawkes Bay is great but if you are driving from Hawkes Bay to Wellington, you are almost passing through Martinborough so call in there as well if you like Pinot Noir and Chardonnay

Tks for suggestion on Kinloch. We did consider it but can't fit it in. We are going to hit Martinborough on the way to Wellington. Our only "disappointment" is that the All Blacks will not be playing in NZ during our stay. We definitely would have wanted to see a game live.
Wairakei is an amazing place. They've turned it into a wildlife sanctuary so you may see some native birds while you are there. Apparently there are kiwis in there as well so if you see one, it's rarer than seeing the All Blacks play. If you only go to one winery in Martinborough, make it Ata Rangi. It would be one of our truly world class wineries. I don't think they are open for tastings as a rule but you can ring and make a time.

13

#14 Bizzle80

Bizzle80

    Member

  • Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 134 posts
  •  
  • Member #: 225125
  • Joined: 01/29/2013
  • Location:Los Angeles
GolfWRX Likes : 34

Posted 06 December 2018 - 08:34 PM

Just played Titirangi this am. Perfect day...sunny and breezy. That course is amazing...played with a local member and let him know how much he should appreciate a membership for so little compared to an LA club.

Kind of felt like playing in Jurassic Park especially the back 9.

Windross tomorrow and Mirawai Sunday.

14



0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

GolfWRX Sponsors